Kandric world discussion

Kyle Aarons

On 3/5/2017 at 11:09 PM, Zergrinch said:

Awww, but I do so love picking on kobolds and goblins in my RPG to reap those delicious, delicious experience points :(

Poor poor General Dylar. I guess Expert echelon swordsmen are not even worth 1 experience point for teaching echelon shamen 

Spoiler

The Sands of Time has revealed a major boost for Swordsman. They not only have their passive magic defiance with partial protection against spells, but to some unknown extent (such as number of times per hour, etc.) can completely resist any spell of the swordsman's echelon or lower. The knowledge and training for this capability will have to come from Xavier's group until there are others native to Kandric's time who have learned it. So XP gained from Swordsmen in battle should improve quite a bit in a few years.

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2014 at 7:57 PM, Kyle Aarons said:

Also and equally important, when one defeats someone in the Kandric world, even if they only subdue and not kill, they "earn" a gifting of magic from the defeated being in the form of a magical and knowledge grant. This normally does not mean the winning person knows something about the defeated person, but gains some "insights" into what that person knows about magic and magical force. So,  when someone who is lower than his or her enemy in Echelon and ability takes down someone more powerful the "gifting" gives considerably more magic to fill the pool while if they defeat someone below their ability, there is very little to be learned so the gifting is much smaller. Also a very high power defeated being can gift part of himself to the winner as a way of showing respect and by making the person stronger it makes it look like the fight was more even than it really was. This saves some face since the person instantly becomes a much more fierce opponent and thus is seen by others as being deserving of credit as well. However, this is not something commonly known since it is exceedingly rare for it to happen. Instead many see such gifting's as a "bow of deference" to a superior being which keeps the mystique of the defeated powerful foe intact.

Thus someone who walks around picking on Mundanes all day long will gain almost no experience while a person who manages to take on and defeat a demon is likely to get a couple of really big waves of knowledge which causes faster advancement as the inner pool gets buckets of magic dumped into it.

Besting a Dragon, especially a Great Dragon... well there is a sure fire way to get a gushing of magical understanding and experience beyond the reach of all but a very very few and will also get the given gifting from the Dragon because, let's face it, no Dragon wants to be seen as being bested by some scrub. For even in death Dragons have a hell of an ego.

Now does this make more sense or did I just totally muddy the pool

Now this gives me an interesting, albeit humorous idea partially explaining where Kandric's meteoric rise in knowledge and power came from. In this section, you say that someone who "defeats" or "subdues" an "opponent" gains a gifting of magic and knowledge from that opponent. It is clear that this gifting does not require a lethal encounter, just that the other person is engaged in an encounter and the other person is subsequently subdued. 

If you play around with this idea, you could say that any battle of wills or physical interaction where one subdues the other could potentially allow for such giftings of magic and knowledge to happen. Which brings me to the funny idea I had in regards to Kandric's training with Glaster. 

Kandric had some manner of sexual or sensual interactions with Glaster during the entire duration of his four years of training with his teacher. Per the first chapter, He was on Glasters lap from the second he arrived when he was engaging in book lessons. Not only was he learning all these wide and varied topics during Glasters rigorous teaching regimens, but he did this while in constant sexual physical contact with the one armed man. He wasn't a passive participant either, it is heavily implied that Kandric was very active and enthusiastic with their sexual exploits. 

What my theory is, Every time Glaster was, er, "subdued" by Kandric, a small gifting of magic and insight was imparted into the red haired half elf. Think about just how knowledgeable Kandric became during those four years. His memory and retention of the teachings of Glaster are nothing short of prodigy levels. Each gifting was probably small and subtle, but they would have quickly snowballed into Kandric gaining so much of Glaster's knowledge that it helped rocket him to to the upper limits of Secondary Echelon before the story even started. Because Glaster was of such a higher Echelon than Kandric was, it only made these interactions all the more effective. 

TLDR: Because of this gifting system in Kandric Saga, there is a very hilarious case to be made that Glaster's perverted and constant sexual exploits with the red headed half elf actually made Kandric's schooling MORE effective than it otherwise would have been; because Kandric would have been engaging in rigorous physical activity and subduing a being of a much higher echelon on a daily basis for 4 years straight. 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, Demented said:

Now this gives me an interesting, albeit humorous idea partially explaining where Kandric's meteoric rise in knowledge and power came from. In this section, you say that someone who "defeats" or "subdues" an "opponent" gains a gifting of magic and knowledge from that opponent. It is clear that this gifting does not require a lethal encounter, just that the other person is engaged in an encounter and the other person is subsequently subdued. 

If you play around with this idea, you could say that any battle of wills or physical interaction where one subdues the other could potentially allow for such giftings of magic and knowledge to happen. Which brings me to the funny idea I had in regards to Kandric's training with Glaster. 

Kandric had some manner of sexual or sensual interactions with Glaster during the entire duration of his four years of training with his teacher. Per the first chapter, He was on Glasters lap from the second he arrived when he was engaging in book lessons. Not only was he learning all these wide and varied topics during Glasters rigorous teaching regimens, but he did this while in constant sexual physical contact with the one armed man. He wasn't a passive participant either, it is heavily implied that Kandric was very active and enthusiastic with their sexual exploits. 

What my theory is, Every time Glaster was, er, "subdued" by Kandric, a small gifting of magic and insight was imparted into the red haired half elf. Think about just how knowledgeable Kandric became during those four years. His memory and retention of the teachings of Glaster are nothing short of prodigy levels. Each gifting was probably small and subtle, but they would have quickly snowballed into Kandric gaining so much of Glaster's knowledge that it helped rocket him to to the upper limits of Secondary Echelon before the story even started. Because Glaster was of such a higher Echelon than Kandric was, it only made these interactions all the more effective. 

TLDR: Because of this gifting system in Kandric Saga, there is a very hilarious case to be made that Glaster's perverted and constant sexual exploits with the red headed half elf actually made Kandric's schooling MORE effective than it otherwise would have been; because Kandric would have been engaging in rigorous physical activity and subduing a being of a much higher echelon on a daily basis for 4 years straight. 

I'm considering this as a canonical explanation for the incredible prowess of Kandric, Aster, and Conner, who all must have "conquered" their partners at some stage. 😂

On 10/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Zergrinch said:

I'm considering this as a canonical explanation for the incredible prowess of Kandric, Aster, and Conner, who all must have "conquered" their partners at some stage. 😂

Kandric after a particularly enthusiastic session with Glaster be like: 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally from my understanding the meteoric rise come from both their mythlets and alphar blood and all the dragon gifting for Kandric kills that goes to his family as well.  Kandric also got boosted from killing the Ice demonette and the lots of dragonlings he also killed.

• 4 months later...

He would not necessarily have regrown his foreskin depending on how the magic worked. A lot of magic is directed by the user so Glaster would have concentrated on his arm which was an injury and not on his foreskin which he wanted removed. (We are way overdue for a new chapter when we are down to discussing whether or not a character has a foreskin again LOL)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope we get a new chapter by at least the end of this year. I'd love to see a conclusion to this story. 

One thing I'm definitely interested in seeing is Kandric meeting with his Brothers. I do not think that the meeting will be as smooth as one would like to imagine. 

Kandric and Aster have very different takes on slave ownership for example. Aster hates the trade and does everything he can to accommodate those he has under him. Our titular Red Head on the other hand quite likes being called Master and enjoys having power over others. I especially would like to know how Aster would react to the now de-aged Porma being chained up and treated the way he is. Aster had those twins who had a master who purposefully extended their lives with unseemly magic, so I wonder how he'd react to Kandric doing something similar. 

For Conner, there's another interesting angle to think about. Kandric has been seen with Monarch's symbol on him and is actively affiliated with Monarch. Monarch was once affiliated with Gambra, and Vondum has learned at least a little dark magic from her if I'm remembering correctly (that ability to check the echelon rating of others). I'm sure this won't pose much of an issue, considering Kandric is currently very invested in saving his students from the Dark Mages. At the same time, it'd be interested if it caused some issues none the less, even if only minor ones. 

Kandric has also been developing more and more of an aggressive personality the more the story goes along. I think that has to do with him getting Giftings from demons and dragons. The Giftings from those two types of beings seem to be more potent than other varieties.

When he defeated the Ice Demon for example, he gained the ability to traverse between the spirit and human world almost instantaneously. Most Shaman cannot do nearly as much. I suspect Kandric will have much more power and influence in the spirit realms after the defeat of Pyrothermal. We do not know what kind of Giftings came with that killing yet, but I imagine Kandric will have insights on the spirit world that pretty much any living Shaman, including Glaster, would be envious of. I also noticed that Kandric became susceptible to temper flare ups after the Ice Demon's defeat.  

With the Dragons, the changes were more noticeable. After the defeat of the Green and Black dragons, Kandric's temper became much more unmanageable than it was before.  While I don't think any of the giftings will fully change who Kandric is, I do think there will be even more noticeable shifts with each new kill. The Fairy dragon Stealth hinted as such, as she grew very wary of Aster. 

This increasingly unmanageable Temper could be another point of conflict between his brothers and himself.  

• 7 months later...

Okay everyone, it is happening.  The next Kandric 'chapter' (more like two or more novels) will be published on 24 December.  I would really like people to add in how long it took them to read it.  i am just really curious.  I hope this warning gives you enough time  to schedule time off of work if you need it.  LOL

Hm, new stuff introduced out of the blue in this "chapter". Dawnbreaker and Afterdusk. With prose that is extremely hard to immediately understand. 😅

Now I'm waiting for a Midnighter and a Highnoonery 😁

Also, while Aster is still chilling around in castle Roland, at least he's got stuff to do now. Still, I am quite disappointed that even now, the reunion between brothers is pushed back to the next chapter. That is, if something else doesn't pop out of the ether and attack the protagonists some more...

8 hours ago, Zergrinch said:

Hm, new stuff introduced out of the blue in this "chapter". Dawnbreaker and Afterdusk. With prose that is extremely hard to immediately understand. 😅

Now I'm waiting for a Midnighter and a Highnoonery 😁

Also, while Aster is still chilling around in castle Roland, at least he's got stuff to do now. Still, I am quite disappointed that even now, the reunion between brothers is pushed back to the next chapter. That is, if something else doesn't pop out of the ether and attack the protagonists some more...

To be fair, Not a lot of time has passed within the context of the story itself. Chronologically speaking, Aster has not been with the King all that long. That being said, Connor and Kandric are both putting in some substantial legwork on the front lines.  

Kandric meeting his brothers is something I'm sure we're all anticipating with bated breath. I pity whatever poor bastard would have to face all three of them at the same time. 

I also can't help but wonder how a sparring match between Kandric and his brothers would go. In terms of raw ability, I'd say Aster probably third on the tier list, with Connor being a strong second and Kandric holding the top with all of his training from the spirit realms and Glaster. 

I'd say, if the sparring match were purely a physical encounter, Connor would have a very strong argument for being on even footing with Kandric if not coming out on top. They are both frightfully strong and fast, and are devastating hand to hand combatants. The two of them could walk through an army of Dragonlings barehanded like they were a bunch of hapless puppies without ever uttering a spell.

Aster also is hampered by not having a true education on the abilities of Animal Adepts. Up till now he's only scratched the surface. I'm sure once Kandric introduces him to some spirit teachers, Aster will somewhat narrow the gap he currently has with his siblings. I also think he's going to be pivotal in bringing back the full capabilities of the Griffin Spires. If anyone in the story could make Frozen Flames and the like, it'd be Aster. 

But the was enough time for Kandric to track down and slay a great white dragon, hunt and duel a dragonling, rest a couple days, watch the Garm and Alphar flay dragons alive, fight a warrior white, fight a bunch of demons, fight and kill Pyrothermal, fight even more demons, spend 3 days terrorizing Alphar and Garm youth, rest, and read a Wyhrem's pouty scroll. 😂

---

In a death match where nobody is holding back, here are my predictions.

Kandric opens with an AOE spell that would take out Bayne immediately. Both Aster and Conner will evade, thanks to Aster borrowing his pets' abilities and Conner being agile.

Both Conner and Aster will focus on the strongest foe, Kandric. Kandric will probably take out his Frozen Flame and wade into melee, all the while killing all of Aster's pets with a powerful spell.

Conner opens with his dives, which will lightly injure Kandric, who heals it immediately. Aster is stronger but slower, while Kandric is fast, deadly, but more fragile. Kandric fatally wounds Aster, who manages to damage the frozen flame due to being berserk at his pets' death.

Conner kills the dying Aster and engages Kandric with the death gift. In the end, the Sect Warrior overpowers the Shaman, and the saga changes into the Conner Saga.

2 hours ago, Zergrinch said:

But the was enough time for Kandric to track down and slay a great white dragon, hunt and duel a dragonling, rest a couple days, watch the Garm and Alphar flay dragons alive, fight a warrior white, fight a bunch of demons, fight and kill Pyrothermal, fight even more demons, spend 3 days terrorizing Alphar and Garm youth, rest, and read a Wyhrem's pouty scroll. 😂

---

In a death match where nobody is holding back, here are my predictions.

Kandric opens with an AOE spell that would take out Bayne immediately. Both Aster and Conner will evade, thanks to Aster borrowing his pets' abilities and Conner being agile.

Both Conner and Aster will focus on the strongest foe, Kandric. Kandric will probably take out his Frozen Flame and wade into melee, all the while killing all of Aster's pets with a powerful spell.

Conner opens with his dives, which will lightly injure Kandric, who heals it immediately. Aster is stronger but slower, while Kandric is fast, deadly, but more fragile. Kandric fatally wounds Aster, who manages to damage the frozen flame due to being berserk at his pets' death.

Conner kills the dying Aster and engages Kandric with the death gift. In the end, the Sect Warrior overpowers the Shaman, and the saga changes into the Conner Saga.

I think that speaks more to Kandric not knowing how to chill the hell out more than Aster being idle. My guy hopped from Secondary echelon to who knows were in a matter of a few months. There are people who are STILL catching up with the fact he's a premier now lol. 

_________

Bayne probably is going to need some serious remedial lessons in magic or something like what Perth is going to get. There's no way his magic is anything other than completely untrained. 

As far as a death battle goes, I'm not really a fan of those cause they tend to remove what makes the characters interesting and just boils it down to stats. I do not ever see a scenario arising where Connor would want to kill Aster and use his death gifting to get at Kandric. Yes death battles usually suspend such things as their morality and family ties, but that just makes the speculation boring for me. 

I'd rather think of it in terms of a sparring match rather than something to the death, as that's what they'd most likely do in the story. Or maybe even some sort of Olympic competition for variety... actually that sounds like it'd be pretty fun. 

But! You do need to suspend morality and family ties for it to be a true battle. As you say, there is no way any of the brothers are going to seriously have a go at each other otherwise. A friendly spar would be somewhat unfair to those whose strength lie in killing their opponents (e.g. Dark mystics, wraith sect warriors) versus those who could incapacitate (I'd give Mind Master Conth better odds against Jamon in a friendly spar).

The results won't change though. I see pure spellcasters like Bayne as having a disadvantage, since he's not going to fling any spell of any lethality on his bros. Aster's offensive capabilities will be hobbled by his primary weapon (a great axe), which is very hard to make non-lethal even if he hits with the blunt side. He'll last longer than Bayne thanks to his pets, but he won't be able to win. Kandric will be able to hold his own for a while with his ferret sect training (I don't see him using his frozen flame). But I don't think he can beat Conner, not when he has to pull his punches on his spells (Conner's entire body is a weapon and he has more control over it than the red head).

41 minutes ago, Zergrinch said:

But! You do need to suspend morality and family ties for it to be a true battle. As you say, there is no way any of the brothers are going to seriously have a go at each other otherwise. A friendly spar would be somewhat unfair to those whose strength lie in killing their opponents (e.g. Dark mystics, wraith sect warriors) versus those who could incapacitate (I'd give Mind Master Conth better odds against Jamon in a friendly spar).

The results won't change though. I see pure spellcasters like Bayne as having a disadvantage, since he's not going to fling any spell of any lethality on his bros. Aster's offensive capabilities will be hobbled by his primary weapon (a great axe), which is very hard to make non-lethal even if he hits with the blunt side. He'll last longer than Bayne thanks to his pets, but he won't be able to win. Kandric will be able to hold his own for a while with his ferret sect training (I don't see him using his frozen flame). But I don't think he can beat Conner, not when he has to pull his punches on his spells (Conner's entire body is a weapon and he has more control over it than the red head).

I'd say it's a stretch to call Bayne a spellcaster right now. I'm betting if Bayne did that test that the other kids did in Kandric's warcamp, he'd be marked for needing drastic remedial lessons. I highly doubt he has even rudimentary training with how his backstory was. If he has any control of his power it's due to whatever random knowledge gifting's he acquired from Kandric's killing spree. I would not at all be surprised if this comes up in later chapters. I wouldn't even consider him for a spar right now. The way I see it, he's barely above Kandric's younger siblings who's names I don't even recall at the moment. 

One thing with Kandric is, he's been consistently shown to come up with a plan to take down his opponents, regardless of if they are more powerful than him or not. It's not like he's bulldozed through every dragon he's faced, he's beaten them with strategy and quick thinking. He also exploited their hubris more often than not. 

There's also the sheer diversity of training that Kandric's had. Connor was trained very well by Anarton, but that's the only source he's really got his training from. Kandric meanwhile has trained with pretty much every elite teacher the mortal world could provide as well as the extensive training he's been receiving in the spirit realms. 

With that said though, Kandric has much more of a temper than Connor does. If he isn't careful he could end up getting his own tactic of working up the opponent against him. I do agree that there is a very compelling case to be made that in a physical fight Connor comes out on top. However I would not write off Kandric, he's got way too many wins under his belt to be underestimated. 

Aster I do not see being able to hold his own against either of his brothers. At least not right now. Like I said, once Kandric hooks him up with some Spirit teachers his status as third strongest of the trio could change. Especially if he gains another pet. 

One thing I think we can all agree on though: Any one of them would kick the ever loving shit out of their grandfather lol. 

I'm not convinced the Grandpa is in much favor with the White Dragons at this point. 😁

I agree that Kandric is extremely resourceful and we really don't have any idea how powerful he truly is and what he knows. So, I have to speculate based on what we've seen. In my view, one of Kandric's weaknesses (temper aside) is that he likes to play with his food. He traps them, tortures them, taunts them, and talks to them. He doesn't go immediately for the knockout. So in terms of decisiveness, I would give Conner the definite edge (look how Conner bulldozed the green dragon duke Gosanteal).

While I concede the fact that Kandric's had a lot of diverse teachers, I would argue that "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" could be conceivably be applied to him, while Conner would be the master of one. I argue that this also gives Conner an edge. As Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." 😂

Plus there's the inconvenient in-universe fact that Mages (generally) outgun Shamen in terms of magic...

===

Kaylaria's children are:

1. Aster (elf father; Bayne's fraternal twin)
  2. Bayne (elf father; Aster's fraternal twin)
  3. Conner (forest elf father Cuver)
  4. Darmoth (river elf merchant father Scoral); captured by Frexla; probably dead or mutilated
  5. Rathiter (river elf merchant father Scoral); captured by Frexla; probably dead or mutilated
  6. Meggie (forest elf merchant father): only girl; constantly with Kaylaria, probably an acolyte priestess in training
  7. Gellor (forest elf merchant father): Kandric's favorite sibling - no mention since Chapter 31.
  8. Kandric (human miner father Kyvin)