Kandric world discussion

Kyle Aarons

it appears twice in chapter 6, one right before Gablon talks about spending the night with Kaylaria, and again right before Gablon suggests making Darmoth a non-child to pay off the debt.

alright, so it does not say 22 years on this site but it does on wolfsnest and gayauthors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I really love this story. I've read it a couple of times now and still find it fun, even if I do get frustrated with how long it takes between updates. Though, I understand it takes quite a bit just to get a new chapter started, let alone completed in any type of scheduled timeframe.

I was just wondering if I could get a list of the Kandric world caste and class system and the actual monetary values. I've only seen mentioned that 500 copper is equal to 1 gold so far. I'm interested to know the actual values of copper, silver and gold coins (i.e. ? copper = ? silver = ? gold). I'm aware that different areas in the kandric world probably have different price ranges, just like in any society, so I'm not even going to bother asking that question, I'd just like to know the actual echange value of the coins used.

Thanks in advance.

Kynn

If Kyle is going by D&D conventions, then 1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver = 1,000 copper.

MAIN FIELDS

The Kandric Saga (Kyle Aarons)

1. Animal Adept: as exemplified by Aster and Lannet
  2. Druid: as exemplified by Rathiter
  3. Mage: as exemplified by Conner, Darmoth, and Gambra
  4. Mystic: as exemplified by Pontarius
  5. Shaman: as exemplified by Kandric and Glaster
  6. Sorcerer: as exemplified by Sardan, Kaylaria, Monarch, and Bayne
  7. Swordsman: as exemplified by Pocet and Falk
  8. Warrior Adept: as exemplified by Vondum

Sands of Time (Roland)

1. Enchanted Archer: focus spellcasting into arrows that they shoot
  2. Legionnaire: martial weapon masters who can make weapons magical for a time
  3. Spirit Warrior: fights spirits and undead
  4. Wild Cat: can take aspects of their patron animal

Kandric is a Legionnaire, according to Kyle's character sheet.  This has not been revealed in the stories yet.

SUB-FIELDS

1. Channeler: Essentially the Clerics of D&D
  2. Healthman: Healers, basically
  3. Lockmaster: Rogues
  4. Metalworking
  5. Mindmaster: Psions of D&D
  6. Miner
  7. Outdoorsman
  8. Ruinseeker (Runeseeker?)
  9. Sailor
  10. Sect Warrior: the Monks of D&D

Most people have two sub-fields.  Kandric is different - he is an Outdoorsman, a Ruinseeker, and a Sect Warrior.  

===========

As for the caste system, I don't have a specific list, but the "Authority equals Asskicking" trope seems to apply.  That is to say, the more powerful you are, the higher your caste.

The Echelons consist of the following ranks.  There are five steps to each of them:

1. Primary
  2. Secondary <-- reaching this level automatically emancipates you as an adult
  3. Teaching
  4. Expert
  5. Master <-- Kandric has reached Master level, step 5, as a Shaman, Legionnaire, Ruinseeker, and Outdoorsman
  6. Legendary

The impression I got is seniority goes like this:

1. Royalty
  2. Trained Nobility
  3. Untrained Nobility
  4. Trained Commoner
  5. Tradesmen
  6. Untrained Commoner
  7. Slaves
Edited by Zergrinch

Thanks for some of that clarification, Zergrinch! I was already aware of the fields and subfields within the Kandric world, even if the extra four within Sands of Time confused me when they cropped up. Does anyone know if those fields/subfields will show up within the Kandric saga or are they exclusive to Sands of Time? (other than Kandric being hinted at as a Legionnaire)... Oh! I was also wondering if Training Echelon is actually a real echelon. I know that Sardan had promised Quavis, in chapter 12, that when he returned from battle he would have him tested and place the copper pins on him himself, but it never seems to be mentioned as an actual echelon otherwise.

Thanks.

Kynn.

Oh yes he is.  Out-of-Universe Proof

Gonna go hunt for an in-Universe proof too!

Edit: Found it.  In-Universe proof in Chapter 24

Kandric had not even backed away from the challenge of working with and fighting other Sect Warriors. For nineteen months Glaster had paid thousands of silver to an Expert Echelon Ferret Sect Warrior to work with his determined Halfelf. He would have continued to pay the outrageous fees the woman had asked, but shortly after Kandric had reached Secondary Echelon, the woman herself stated there was nothing more to teach. For, in her opinion, Kandric had reached a skill level where he could have passed the Primary Echelon test for a Ferret. The astonished woman even refused to accept a higher fee saying if Kandric wanted to go further he would have to do so on his on merits, for unlike most Subfields, the art of a Ferret was only taught up to the Primary Echelon passing level.

He's not "officially" a Ferret Sect Warrior, not having taken the exam.  But at the beginning of Chapter 1, he already qualifies as a Primary-echelon sect warrior.  By Chapter 29, he's an Expert-echelon step 5 sect warrior.

Edited by Zergrinch

Regarding Kandric: He has two Primary Fields, Shaman and Legionnaire (-1 Echelon), Sub-Fields of Outdoorsman, Ruinseeker and Ferret Sect Warrior (also -1 Echelon). His guilded level is Secondary Echelon, step 2 and by Chapter 30 is actually an Expert Echelon (or Master Echelon in the two noted as (-1 Echelon).

Classes are more complex:

Royal Class = Kings, princes, dukes, marquis; Legendary Echelon; counts, viscount, baron; Master Echelon; earl, baronet, knight; Expert Echelon

Upper Class = Merchant prince; Teaching Echelon; High Merchant; Merchant; Secondary Echelon

Middle Class = Low merchant; land owner; Skilled Peasant; Primary Echelon

Lower Class = Peasant, Servant, Training Echelon, Indentured Servant

Beggar Class = Squatter, Beggar, Crippled

Property Class = Children; Ex-slave, Orphan, Slaves

Echelons: Training, Primary, Secondary, Teaching, Expert, Master, Legendary, High Council, Demigod

Field: Some few very lucky people, are born with innate abilities.  These 'trainable' beings have the ability to break out of the class that they were born into, and rise as far as they are willing to go.  The Magic that is within these beings is specific to a certain 'Field'. Some of the fields have been lost in time and although the individual in Kandric's time may have that innate ability, they would have been slotted into a related field and not be as good in that as expected.

Sub-Fields: Sub Fields can be learned by any being, even if they do not possess enough innate magic to be trained in a true Field.  These are very much fields of study that someone trains long and hard to master. 

Minor Sub-Fields: Lost since time of Seandra - Farmer, Fisherman, Glassworker, Leatherworker, Shipwright, Stoneworker, Woodworker.

Some of these have not come out yet in 'Kandric' or 'Sands of Time' but are part of the World of Kandric.

Mary and Z have done a great job taking care of most of this. Keep in mind, for those reading Sands of Time, those characters come from a time prior to the age of endless wars, therefore, they have knowledge of magic that was lost or purposefully eliminated during the Mythling and Dragon Wars, and further degraded during the Garm/Alphar wars, the Elvin/Dwarven wars, the Drow wars, and finally the Wars of the Kings, which is the time Kandric is in.

Also while the class charts are technically correct the guilds fall into the chart by Echelon: so a secondary Echelon being is between a low merchant and a merchant and a Teaching Echelon is between a high merchant and a Merchant Prince. The one thing of note, a slave is not normally seen as the lowest cast either. An orphan is. This is simply a matter of who produces and who doesn't; a slave produces something for a master while an orphan is seen as nothing more than a drain on society. This was not at all the case for those who are the primary characters in Sands of Time either, so perspectives are badly skewed and confused form some of them. The Garm/Alphar war is where the currnet class system really started to take shape and was only reinfornced as wars tore apeart the fabric of the once great world and resources were controlled by fewer and fewer.

While I have not gone super deep into the class system, the times where Glaster is dealing with people in Kandric shows it better than any other story lines.

Also Keep in Mind Kandric is not a normal being. He is Mythlet, so the normal rules of one Field and up to two Subfields do not apply. Almost every God/Goddess/Demon/Demoness possesses two Fields and up to four Subfields. Notable exception to this is Rovnar- Wild Cat, Lockmaster/Outdoorsman: however he was not a Mythling or Mythlet. He made it to godhood on his own.

Finally Z. did a great job on Subfields, but missed an important current one: the Gem Worker (AKA Jeweler)

Because the methods for forging magical weapons was badly degraded by the loss of knowledge most magic items in the Kandric world are made by enchanting a gem and setting it into an item. Gem Workers are needed for this. This makes the Gem Worker's Subfield Guild one of the most Important, yet because most beings do not have acess to any magic, they are not seen as an important guild by the average being. The upper classes, however, give them a great deal of respect.

Edited by Kyle Aarons

One other note: those coming from the Sands of Time have a different Guild system, so how they see themselves don't fit into the Kandric world. Also, while they don't see the ratings in the same light, they also come from a time with a ten step system, not a five step system, so in their time a someone who is currently rated as a Secondary Echelon Step Five would be equal to a Proficient rated Step ten to them. In their time, a Preparation rated being had no elevated status either, since most beings were trained, even if they didn't have a great deal of innate Tallent, since thre were more resources to train beings and it was considered a waste not to do so.

Hope the chart below helps fill in so of these gaps (and yes, I really do have all of these rules written down....What you see here only scratches the surface of the notes I have for the Kandric world)

Pre Age of War: Preparation

Kandric Era: Training Echelon

Pre Age of War:Training

Kandric Era: Primary Echelon

Pre Age of War: Proficient

Kandric Era: Secondary Echelon

Pre Age of War: Skilled

Kandric Era: Teaching Echelon

Pre Age of War: Instruction

Kandric Era: Expert Echelon

Pre Age of War: Accomplished

Kandric Era: Master Echelon

Pre Age of War: Renowned

Kandric Era: Legendary Echelon

Pre Age of War:Supreme

Kandric Era: High Council

Minor Sub-Fields: Lost since time of Seandra - Farmer, Fisherman, Glassworker, Leatherworker, Shipwright, Stoneworker, Woodworker.

Some of these have not come out yet in 'Kandric' or 'Sands of Time' but are part of the World of Kandric.

Farmer and Fisherman is a lost sub-field?  But... I'm sure people were still farming, fishing, working on glass, wood, leather and stone, as well as building ships by the time of Kandric :) 

Kyle

I love your stories I think i have read them all. However, I am curious about the wraith  sect warrior.  Can any field such as a Sorcerer become a wraith?

Kaius

This is an unofficial answer of course, but based on my understanding, you tend to have a specific aptitude for your primary field, but are free to choose whatever sub-fields interest you.  So, assuming you can find a teacher willing to teach you, then yes, it looks like any field can become a wraith sect warrior.

Well, i was staying out of this, since i have inside knowledge, but once Kyle posted, I don't need to no more!  lol

While it is true that most sub fields can be taught, there is one that you must be born with, that is Mind Master.  As far as i know, that is the only one that can not be taught, you either have it, or you don't.

As far as fisher and farmer, yes, anyone can do it, but when you have a sub field in something, it means you are better at it, almost to a magical level... almost.  yes, people still farm and fish, but the sub fields have been lost in it, and those that had it were so much better then those that don't.  also remember that almost anyone could be trained with a sub field, but since the training only goes to the wealthy and lucky, those that don't have a primary, rarely get taught a secondary.  again, there is an exception, that being the channeler.  especially since they are not using their own magic, but their deities magic. 

The thing i love the most about Kandric is how intricate the system is, how well thought out and planned out the entire world is.  Personally i would love to play the RPG that Kyle built for this universe.  ((hint hint)

Farmer and Fisherman is a lost sub-field?  But... I'm sure people were still farming, fishing, working on glass, wood, leather and stone, as well as building ships by the time of Kandric :) 

This is an unofficial answer of course, but based on my understanding, you tend to have a specific aptitude for your primary field, but are free to choose whatever sub-fields interest you.  So, assuming you can find a teacher willing to teach you, then yes, it looks like any field can become a wraith sect warrior.

If you noted the reactions of the folks from Seandra to the quality of life in Kandric's era, there has been a loss of knowledge and skill in many basic sub-fields, as well as knowledge of the Primary Fields. 

They also noted, that many are satisfied with one sub-field, where they used to be encouraged to study as many as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

A wraith sectwarror must be a Mage. The magic require with the sect to take the life-force of another and reshape it is only possible through Mage magic. 

Mindmasters are othe only other subfiled with a tight restriction. They have to be born with the ability.

Channelers all have a second subfield, but the choices are narrowed by the god/goddess they worship. A Channeler of Vindayin must be either a Healthman or an Outdoorsman for instance. Rovnar's Channelers are all Lockmasters or Sectwarriors... the list goes on and on.

Z.

Good Question.

However, in the case of Mind Master, it is innate, not taught. It gets stronger as the person does and is tied to the magic within, the talent of the person.

Many of the subfields are professions and require a great deal of work to learn. A metalworker, a healthman, a gemworker... The thing is they all can be done by anyone; you can take a total mundane and teach him how to do any of those things. The reason they are subfields are they can increase as the magic within increases. The way the magic within increases is to increase the Field. Of the Primary subfields, only the Swordsman may not seem to be tied to internal magic, but it is. Look at Sardan, and his batting of a spell. This is because the magic within has increased to a point where he can use his Field to dodo some magical things. A mundane can still carry a weapon and learn the basics, but they are called 'swords'. 'Swords' are non- Swordsman Mundane or low magic people who have learned how to fight. Handy, but put them up against a Swordsman, and it is not a fair fight.

the other thing to consider is people with low magic can train in a subfield long enough to become gilded in a subfield and advance just like those with a Field and a Subfield, but they never tap into the full magic of a Field. (yup, got rules for those folk...) These would be the Blacksmith everyone in the area would go to, or the hunter who always has good game even when hunting is poor. They are also considerably more dangerous than a Mundane Blacksmith or Hunter, but not as dangerous as one with a Filed and the Subfield.

So while there are farmers and fisherman they cannot do what a Guilded farmer or Fisherman could do in past ages. Food used to be a great deal more plentiful, and because of that more beings were able to train and become Guilded. Some still have the knack- those are the ones who produce more, seem to know when to plant, what to plant, and why to plant. IE: Normal planting time for an area is the fourth full moon of the year, but a Guilded farmer reads the actions of the chickens, studies the weather, and sees the games the gods are playing. He may plant two weeks early. While everyone else is scoffing at him, he is able to harvest a bumper crop cause he timed it for the warmer year and took advantage of early rains...

A Fisherman gets a similar feel... maybe the normal fishing spots just aren't doing it. A guilded fisherman knows the pattern, realizes the water is too cold and moves to where the water is warmer. This means he takes more risks, but when the boats come in, he has nets full of fish while the mundane has almost nothing.

One other thing to mention here, just like everything in life, an unused ability diminishes over time, so a child who has innate magical talent will loose it over time if it is not honed and kept sharp. This is why getting a child into training early is helpful. By age 16 (Human Equivalent) the magic within needs to start being honed or it starts to fade away. By age 20 the (H.E) the talent level actually decreases unless training has been completed, and by age 25 (H.E.) it is gone. Therefore, if a being does not start training by age 15 (since a normal apprenticeship is 5 years) the being actually loses some innate talent before getting fully trained. Once fully trained, however, the innate talent is stabilized, and then it increases as the being advance in the guild/guilds. (yup, once again, full rules for all of that too...)

The biggest reason in the Kandric world the Adult age is 16, is that by 16 a person is either in an apprenticeship already, has completed one, or needs to get his butt out into the world ad start earning his/her way.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Kyle Aarons

Z.

When a person is practicing at a Sub, he is default practicing on his Primary. The magic ties all together. A being who defeats an enemy doesn't just do it with part of himself, he does it with the whole. While he may lean on sectwarror skills in a fight, those skills are blended into the very fiber of the sectwarrior magical talent. The same thing can be said if a Shaman uses a spell to take out an enemy: the Sectwarrior side didn't win, but the whole grows in experience of the combat. Practice is the exact same thing.

• 2 months later...

Does reproductive biology work differently in the Kandric universe compared to us?

The reason I ask is related to what Kandric mentions about the impossibilities of humans interbreeding with Illorcs. Specifically, he mentions that a human male cannot impregnate an Illorc female, which I will totally buy. He goes on to say that a human female, without magical assistance, cannot survive the number of cubs gestating within her.

Normally, human females ovulate only one egg cell. In rare cases, two, which result in fraternal twins. I don't think I've ever heard of fraternal triplets or quadruplets - unless the mother is undergoing fertility treatment.

Which leaves the only remaining possibility, that a fertilized human ova in the Kandric universe, when combined with Illorc sperm, will almost certainly split off into multiple identical zygotes.

So, is it the latter case, or... :)

=====

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

You have mentioned before that Elves take longer to "level up" because they have a larger reservoir of magic to fill.

Does this mean that, suppose two people who are identical in everything (training, physical attributes, combat experience, known spells, guild and actual field rating), with the exception of race have a death match, the one with a smaller reservoir (human, then half-elf, then elf, then Alphar) would run out of magical force sooner?

Secondly, it was mentioned that Molic and Olinday are essentially halfelf because of the forced bonding, which includes an iron allergy. Does this mean that King Wyhrem and Glaster are also essentially halfelves? If so, I find it curious that Glaster does not seem to be allergic to iron - did the healthman who did the ritual do a better job, transferring only the elf's longevity but not his weaknesses?

Edited by Zergrinch

• 3 weeks later...

Z,

Illorcs  have litters of young. This is because they are all split from the same egg or eggs. It is like have identical twins, only its quadurplets or even more. Then during birth the fetuses fight each other for right to be born. Less than half survive. A human woman would normally be killed by having so many huge children inside her, but the fighting would certainly rip her apart unless magic was used to keep the 'cubs' calmer.

magical force and Race:

Different races take longer to level up because they do have more magical force. this does not mean they are better at casting or fighting because of the force within, but they can cast an extra spell or two than a human, or in the case of the lower races one less. (Got the charts for all of this)

Racial Experience Charts

First number is Base Attack second number is Base Counter

Chart 1

Experience points needed (-1 FORCE per Echelon (minimum 1): -10 Magic Defiance (minimum 1))

Goblin, Gobling, Orc, Kobald

Above Skilled Echelon it gets increasingly harder to advance because the lack of racial magic

Preparation

101/31

102/32

103/33

104/34

105/35

106/36

107/37

108/38

109/39

110/40

Experience

Training

115/45

116/46

117/47

118/48

119/49

121/51

122/52

123/53

124/54

125/55

Experience

Proficient

130/60

131/61

132/62

133/63

134/64

136/66

137/67

138/68

139/69

140/70

Experience

Skilled

145/75

146/76

147/77

148/78

149/79

151/81

152/82

153/83

154/84

155/85

Experience

Instruction

160/90

161/91

162/92

163/93

164/94

166/96

167/97

168/98

169/99

170/100

Experience

Accomplished

175/105

176/106

177/107

178/108

179/109

181/111

182/112

183/113

184/114

185/115

Experience

Renowned

190/120

191/121

192/122

193/123

194/124

196/126

197/127

198/128

199/129

200/130

Experince

Supreme

210/140

211/141

212/142

213/143

214/144

216/146

217/147

218/148

219/149

220/145

Experience

Chart 2

Experience points needed

Human, Halforc, Earthman, Harpy, Pantherling, Wolfling, Morg, Gnoll

This is Standard advancement with no bonuses or penalties

Chart 2

Preparation

101/31

102/32

103/33

104/34

105/35

106/36

107/37

108/38

109/39

110/40

Experience

Training

115/45

116/46

117/47

118/48

119/49

121/51

122/52

123/53

124/54

125/55

Experience

Proficient

130/60

131/61

132/62

133/63

134/64

136/66

137/67

138/68

139/69

140/70

Experience

Skilled

145/75

146/76

147/77

148/78

149/79

151/81

152/82

153/83

154/84

155/85

Experience

Instruction

160/90

161/91

162/92

163/93

164/94

166/96

167/97

168/98

169/99

170/100

Experience

Accomplished

175/105

176/106

177/107

178/108

179/109

181/111

182/112

183/113

184/114

185/115

Experience

Renowned

190/120

191/121

192/122

193/123

194/124

196/126

197/127

198/128

199/129

200/130

Experince

Supreme

210/140

211/141

212/142

213/143

214/144

216/146

217/147

218/148

219/149

220/145

Experience

Chart 3

Experience points needed (+1 FORCE per Echelon, +5 Magic Defiance Base + 1 per Echelon)

Highman, Plainsman, Stoutman, Warman, Halfelf, Halfdwarf, Mountain Dwarf, Hawkling, Dark Forest Elf, Forest Elf, High Elf, River Elf, Tunnel Gnome, Wilderness Gnome, Lizard Folk, Illorc

Preparation

101/31

102/32

103/33

104/34

105/35

106/36

107/37

108/38

109/39

110/40

Experience

Training

115/45

116/46

117/47

118/48

119/49

121/51

122/52

123/53

124/54

125/55

Experience

Proficient

130/60

131/61

132/62

133/63

134/64

136/66

137/67

138/68

139/69

140/70

Experience

Skilled

145/75

146/76

147/77

148/78

149/79

151/81

152/82

153/83

154/84

155/85

Experience

Instruction

160/90

161/91

162/92

163/93

164/94

166/96

167/97

168/98

169/99

170/100

Experience

Accomplished

175/105

176/106

177/107

178/108

179/109

181/111

182/112

183/113

184/114

185/115

Experience

Renowned

190/120

191/121

192/122

193/123

194/124

196/126

197/127

198/128

199/129

200/130

Experince

Supreme

210/140

211/141

212/142

213/143

214/144

216/146

217/147

218/148

219/149

220/145

Experience

Chart 4

Experience points needed (+2 FORCE per Echelon, +10 Magic Defiance Base + 2 per Echelon)

Dragonling, Garm, Drow, Alphar

Preparation

101/31

102/32

103/33

104/34

105/35

106/36

107/37

108/38

109/39

110/40