Day of N

Zach Caldwell

Just to clarify the "backlog" issue.

All of Kyle's story's, that we are presenting, are also going through an edit. The editor sends Kyle the chapters and the the editor has to wait for Kyle to have time to accept or reject the edits (author's prerogative, here). Then the author has to get the material into my hands to be coded for inclusion on the site.

All this to say we are getting them online, as quick as we can.

I've heard that there is a whole lot of chapters from a whole lot of authors that are having to be gone over by a very limited number of people trying to edit them in a timely manner.  It is definitely not an instantaneous process,   My heartfelt thanks to all the behind the scenes folks that do a whole lot of work to provide me with so much reading pleasure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thoroughly enjoying this story!  Yesterday I read all of the chapters posted.  You've got to admire the tenacity of these kids.  It could be that they are too young to realize what incredible odds they face to survive in their situation.  I'm looking forward to more of this soon!

Steve

Having grown up during the entire communist/nuclear threat era, I have always been well versed in what this world might look like, post nuclear apocalypse.

Like it or not; believe it or not, Kyle's descriptions of what is going on and how people react is spot on. This is one of those stories where it could very well happen, just as he describes it. This alone, should cause everyone to pause and reflect whether or not they are really prepared.

Doesn't have to be a nuclear holocaust. An economic and social breakdown will result in much the same scenario.

I feel for these boys dealing with some pretty serious injuries in the adults they've helped.  I was a combat medic and a nurse when I was in the Army but I always knew that I had my part to do...as in stabilize, support, then I could move my patient on to someone who had WAY more training than I did.  Namely, some pretty talented doctors.  These boys have their hands full!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, I was pretty impressed with your description of the medical procedures that Steven talked the boys through.  It was accurate enough without complicating the telling with a lot of medical jargon that most wouldn't be familiar with. 

I can understand Steven's reluctance to expend a lot of resources on the pilot, someone who he believes probably won't make it.  As the senior enlisted medical person in most of my units, triage was frequently one of my jobs.  It's incredibly difficult to assess someone, realize that their chances for survival are not good, then tag them as "expectant" in order to conserve limited supplies.  It seems cruel, but in a mass casualty situation, or in a situation where something catastrophic has happened like in your story where resources are finite, that is the right decision.

Thanks for the update!  I never tire of your stories.

Part of what I am trying to do with day of n is to show what any surviving person might have to consider in a mass disaster situation. Decisions about who to save and why to not save are among the worst things someone would have to face. I am going glad you liked the balance I struck with the surgery. I need to show what would be used and to make it a difficult choice to do so. I also wanted to show that without a real doctor others may well need to step up to the plate.

• 1 month later...

Just got done with chapter ten, and Love it. The story has a great flow and I like how you have them all learning that wasting something may be a bad thing come later when it might really be needed. Can't wait to see more. great story !!!

Good update!  I like the method of relating the story through Hunter's journal. 

I'm not surprised that the boys are preparing to leave to find their parents.  I think I'd be doing the same thing.  I'm sure they will run into some bad people out there, but they seem prepared for whatever comes at them.  Hopefully, they've learned enough from the few adults that are with them that they can survive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...