Kandric Saga

Zach Caldwell

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Kyle's stories can now be found at Kyle Aarons]

Chapter 1 found at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/kyle_aarons

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

It takes a compelling story to tease me into reading fantasy works these days.  I burned out on Dungeons & Dragons relatively early; when you're stuck running the games all the time, you learn to like it less and less.  Still, the sword and sorcery genre is something i dearly love and have little tolerance for those that half-ass it.

Along comes Kandric.  I've only read one chapter but already I find myself really enjoying the story.  There are all sorts of hints about future plot lines, characters that have those first few steps out of shallow first impression towards depth and complexity.  The foreshadowing is interesting, as is how Kandric himself deals with the rigors of being stuck between two societies and the complications of his own promises.  I am intrigued.  Definitely looking forward to the emerging chapters.  As I understand, this story already has a following and many chapters already out there.  Please don't spoil it for me.  I really want to read this story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah, Chapter 6. I shall enclose my comments in spoiler tags just in case.

This is the first time we see the merchant Gablon (it took like 5 pages to just get his name!) as well as Kaylaria's first speaking appearance. I can't say I like what I see of Gablon and her, for reasons already discussed in other threads. It's clear Gablon is driven by money, while Kaylaria is driven by honor. And both seem willing to go to whatever lengths are necessary to achieve their goals.

I skimmed over quite a lot of Gablon's itinerary but when I went through it with a fine tooth comb to look for character names, I realized Kyle dropped a buttload of geography in the story.

Both Aster and Pocet are developed further in the second act, which also sets up an action sequence so we can see what they're both about.

In the third act, there is action in spades. Yes, the big bad seemed to go down very easily, but hey, gotta give Kandric a way to level up right? We can all but hear the DING as he reaches Teaching Echelon. This act cements the half-elf as a very competent bad-ass spellcaster, all but wiping out the Kandric we see in Chapter 1, and appears to be the first in a set of lucky victories he had.

I don't think we get to know who exactly sent the hobgoblins and the demon towards Vondum's encampment, so I suppose Vondum wasn't really the target and it was just a random encounter.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Assuming that one chapter of Kandric gets posted every week here, the most optimistic scenario would be in 23 weeks, or by, say, mid-September :)

There are other sites that host the saga which you can check (so far, they're only up to Chapter 29).  A quick Google search for "The Kandric Saga" would easily find these sites.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At least we know there will be a resolution. I think that Wolfwalker still holds the record for the longest time between the initial mention of a situation and the actual resolution of it.  I think it was somewhere along the line of 36 chapters of TEEP.  I hope Kyle don't make us wait that long!!!!!

Well... now you've gone and done it.  you had to say it didn't you.  now you know Kyle is going to have to try and beat the record..... geeee thanks!  :P

Nothing like a little friendly competition.  As one of your characters likes to say...."nothing boosts my ego more than being thrown out of an anarchy convention for unruly behavior!"  

Its a good saying and I like it.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...