Unexpected Reactions

Zach Caldwell

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Rilbur stories can now be found at Rilbur]

A story of the defenders universe. Andy's life was bad enough when all he had was just a lethal disease. But a series of unexpected reactions puts him in increasingly difficult circumstances, and his fundamentally good nature may not be enough to pull him through.

http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/rilbur

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

• 4 months later...

MJH, thanks for your comments.  It's nice to know that somebody -- anybody -- is reading my story.

I know where book 1 is going...

But I'm starting to piece together a book 2.  Hopefully people will enjoy it too, though it's going to have one twist a lot wouldn't expect.  Andy is so very much not going to become...

Oh, wait, that's a spoiler.  Oh well.  You'll just have to read it one day... assuming I'm motivated to spend time on a book 2.  Not a lot of feedback on this story, afterall.

And yes, I'm willing to blackmail my readers.  Like many authors, I really don't like not getting feedback.  Unlike some authors, I'm willing to complain about it.  (Mind you, I don't know if Any will let me carry through on my threat... as you can guess, he's a bit persistent when he wants to be.)

• 1 month later...

Rilbur,

Just to let you know, I check this story for updates almost ritualistically every time I come to the Castle.  Any of the Defender's Universe stories is being followed by me, along with several others.  

I've read it completely through a several times now, and things are starting to click with me.  I haven't found anything that jumps out at me just yet in any of your stories that leaves me wondering about some detail, but I will let you know when I find something.  

I have to go back through and read most of my favorites again and make a list before I can start hounding my favorite authors.  

Roger

• 1 month later...

Just started and finished this story. Fast reader and posts are not soon enough for me so I needed something to read. I had read Kyle's Defenders and really enjoyed it so thought I might try your version since I had not read anything of yours yet. Had a little trouble at first adjusting from Kyle's style to yours but soon got over it and really enjoyed the story.

I agree that Andy probably will end up confronting that malevolent entity after it is finished with Eric. Very curious how that will work out; will Eric be sane again and will he and Andy become friends especially if he knows or finds out how protective Andy has been.

Also can't wait to find out what is happening at the end of chapter 13- Is Andy getting a new Augmentation or an Empowerment or is it Eric trying to break free or is the rage eater finally attacking or something entirely new? When will you update again? Dying to know what's happening.

But I'm starting to piece together a book 2.  Hopefully people will enjoy it too, though it's going to have one twist a lot wouldn't expect.  Andy is so very much not going to become...

I am going to guess Andy does not become a Defender. While he has done a superb job of protecting himself when attacked Andy doesn't have a warriors mentality. I suspect that his interactions with Eric and the rage eater might bring out a healing Augmentation that is similar to how he merges wood, concrete, metal, etc.

Please update soon so I can find out.

Please update soon so I can find out.

I'll certainly try to get some updates out soon.

I'll also answer a single supposition from up above: yes, Andy is dealing with a new augmentation.  One that is dangerous to himself because he doesn't yet know how to control it.

Oh... and by the time he's done, Andy is going to wish all he'd had to deal with was the rage-eater itself...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

One more poke. For luck.

I finished Unexpected Reactions 8 the other day.  Swinging back to UR now.

We'll see how long it takes.  Depression (especially over money concerns) really kills my ability to write.  And lately, I swing from 'not enough work to keep me afloat' (instant depression) to 'too busy to breath' (much less write).

• 1 year later...

hey rilbur, where is the continuation of the defender story? we wait so long for it already (well, myself only some minutes yet cuz i just finished chap 13 ;) ) but i saw here the announcement of chap 13 origins from sept 2014!!!

when does it go on? we all wait urgently for what happens with andy, with erik, with angela and with the group of infiltrators, and of course also with the senator, eriks dad. is he someone like the senator in kyles story who denied his own son to even risk him being killed only to reveal that he is an augment himself?

please please publish the next 1 or more chapters asap.

thx!

Darian Fey

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2016 at 4:36 PM, Darian said:

hey rilbur, where is the continuation of the defender story? we wait so long for it already (well, myself only some minutes yet cuz i just finished chap 13 ;) ) but i saw here the announcement of chap 13 origins from sept 2014!!!

when does it go on? we all wait urgently for what happens with andy, with erik, with angela and with the group of infiltrators, and of course also with the senator, eriks dad. is he someone like the senator in kyles story who denied his own son to even risk him being killed only to reveal that he is an augment himself?

please please publish the next 1 or more chapters asap.

thx!

Darian Fey

I need to apologize.  Somewhere along the line, I stopped getting notifications from the forums when I got messages or posts in my threads, so I never saw this.

As I said above, part of the issue is that I've moved onto a new phase of my life, and ran into genuine financial stressors.  I can't write when broke (my mind won't get away from 'oh **** I'm broke what am I gonna do how do I earn money I need money...'), and my lifestyle had gone into a feast-or-famine mode.  I either had enough work to keep me too busy to write (especially since I took up D&D), or not enough work and was busy panicking over hte financial issues I was facing.

I'm currently working on Chapter 14.  I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'm not sure I can really fix it -- especially with details I've already 'locked in' via released chapters.  I'm trying to remember where I was planning to take some of this, but I think chapter 14 or 15 will be the last of this story.  It could be made to stretch longer, but I'm not sure I have the skill to do that justice.

• 4 weeks later...

So... it's taken over three years.  Which is quite unforgivable of me, though I hope everyone will anyway.  Still...

Assuming nothing in the editorial or approvals process requires a change (I'm currently playing in Kyle's backyard, after all, and he can ix-nay things), I think Chapter 14 is done.

And all that's left from here is an epilogue; guess what I'm working on now?

• 2 years later...

I was just re-reading Unexpected Reactions, and was coming here to ask about its completed status.  The last chapter that I could find was chapter 13, and it definitely ended in a cliff hanger.  Then I saw Rilbur's post above about chapter 14.  Is there someplace that I can find it?  I really like the story, and would love to finish it.