The Bully and the Bullied

Al Norris

What I particularly liked about this first chapter was the atmosphere the author created: the brewing storm about to erupt with heavy rain, the hidden darkness of the older boy Riddle, and the connection between Michael and Thomas. Add to that the ancient school bus, the gentle old black driver, and the arrival outside Riddles home, and the descriptive narrative was perfect.

• 2 months later...

Chapter : 11

Of all the chapter thurs far this is the best. The emotions were all over the place. The highs the lows, anger, fear, happiness, annoyance, and most importantly love. It was a true roller coaster of a ride in one chapter. I have enjoyed this story from the beginning and this just made it that much better. I can hardly wait to see what happens next. 

I started reading this story and I am about halfway through the fifteen chapters. First, let me say, the story is very good. There are lots of different aspects or sub-stories going on. It's not just about Michael and Thomas and their families, but about Jeremy and his dad, and maybe even Austin and his brother. So a lot of interest to the story that keeps you reading.

I guess this is sort of a question, not a criticism, but am I right that it is written in patois? The English phrases I find unusual, not the English I learnt at school, but not mistakes. Okay, maybe one or two little errors creep in, but phrases like - He knew where not one of them lived, what they did or where they went. (Chapter Seven). It doesn't read like usual English speaking, hence my question, is it patois, a regional dialect?

It kind of makes it interesting, because I never thought of people in the USA speaking different dialects, but that shouldn't be surprising, it's a huge country and different accents and different English from one place to another should be expected, just as in Europe. 

Anyway good story and I'm learning about America as I read.

Talo, yes in the USA there most certain different dialects spoken. Here where I live in East Tennessee is just one. We have a mixture of old English, Dutch and German words and phrases in use even today. Texas is another region where I would say a dialect is spoken as well as maybe New England. Not just accents per say but the way word are put together and used. Also words that are used in that area and is not used widely elsewhere. That gives the person here in the USA and idea of where the person is from even by reading what the person said. 

An example, here some say, they are "gone Johnson". As in, "I will see y'all later I am gone Johnson" . The mean is they are going to move quite or leave quickly. The phrase comes from the American Civil War. As it is told an union officer by the name Johnson was attacking up the Tennessee valley from their base at Knoxville. Once his forces reached Deviel's Nose Mountain the Confederate forces fired down on them. This was so devastating that it forced the union army to retreat leaving wagons, guns, canon and wounded behind. So to leave quick is "gone Johnson".

I hope this answered your question. Which I might add was a very good one. Even for those authors outside the USA to think about when writing.

• 11 months later...