[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Eric Aune stories can now be found at Eric Aune]

NEW STORY

Chapter 1 presented at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/eric_aune

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Eric, not sure this is the right exact place for this post but since I am here and you write for the RU, will post it here. I have read all the RU stories so far and have enjoyed them. However, (there is always a 'However" in life, have you noticed, grin...) while reading the last couple stories, I found I was in danger of being "over-exposed" to the same information and having to "push" to finish. Your story was a perfect example. Well written and with characters I want to follow, but part of me was saying "I've heard all this before." Part of the problem is that the authors are in the beginning of the saga and there are not any "middle or end" saga stories yet, where stories will have so much more breadth of history and events to write about without "over-exposure of the same information" to the reader. I can see a continuity nightmare if people start writing "end" stories now though, so not sure what the solution is.... Anyway, thanks for allowing me to hijack your forum, grin.... But I do have a question for you; do you know if you will be writing about Coleman's journey through the entire RU saga or is his story a one story adventure?

This is pretty much a one shot story, but there will be a connection later in Changing Connections.   So he will have an appearance in Changing connections.  There have been others who said that i should leave my options open for him. 

You are right about an end story.  That is kind of impossible at this time.  With all the writers we have to be careful so as not to write something that will mess up something already written by another author or that will adversly affect where another author's story is going.  We, the authors are pretty much in constant contact and we have an editor or two who keeps an eye out for continuity errors, to combat that.

That is the big issue with multi author universe stories, we have be in synch to make all the stories work. If someone goes off on their own, and does what they want, if they are not careful, they can mess up all the other stories.  It would be very difficult to do something like this if it wasn't for all the editors who work behind the scences to make sure all the stories work together.  This particular one will have a begin, a middle and a end, well of sorts anyway.  Like others said, I should keep my options open.

Eric,

I am also hijacking your forum.  

Mark,

With "Scouts Own" in the beginning you will notice some of the same material. Each story has to set the world stage for the characters in that story. It can make it tedious for the readers but that were the similarities end for "Scouts Own" this one will take you into the lives of everyday ordinary people that set out to do extraordinary things on an extraordinary Adventure during an Extraordinary time.

Just to make sure I am clear I think this is an extraordinary story (LOL)

Ken, did I hear you say you think this is an extraordinary story? Are you sure now? (Snicker, grin... ). Thanks to both of you, Eric and Ken, for your posts. I know people need the beginning story and there is not a whole lot to be done story wise until we are out of the "Beginning", or at least at the "End of the Beginning", so to speak. Eric, can not wait to read this story. What appealed to me about this Universe is the possibility of regular people doing extraordinary things in challenging times and your story, Ken and yours, Eric, is exactly what I was hoping to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Scouting was an important part of my childhood.  It was one of the few places and times that I and my father connected, since he was full time military and had part time jobs as well for most of my life.  It is so good to see that not only are the values of scouting important still, but that the organization is changing to embrace the realities of our culture without losing any of it's strength or uniqueness.  The recent talk by BSA's head council to allow gay scout masters (realizing that being gay doesn't make one a pedophile or molester) is a step in the right direction.  After all, one of scouting's primary goals is to teach respect for others who may be different from yourself.  You make a boy a man when you teach him to respect others, and thus respect himself.  Honor isn't just an old fashioned idea.  It is a gift a man gives himself and those around him.

So thank you for keeping that alive with this story, Eric.  The boys and adults in this story seem to have a boat load of troubles aimed their way.  I have a feeling that they will need all of their skills, wits and courage for what is to come.  And like true scouts, they will stick together through the worst and show us all what is best, in the hearts of boys and men.

Be Prepared!

Thanks D.  I have been a Scout Leader for the last 15 years and I have enjoyed my time and made very good friends with many Scout and Scout leaders during that time.  I have seen some very impressive young men who are much like Cole in this story.  When the organization sent out the surveys to all the Scout leaders about the removal of the ban on Gay youth a few years ago, I was and am still in full support.  I have been hoping that the next step would be taken quickly and I am glad to see that they look to be hopefully moving in that direction with many councils starting to make the choice to support the inclusion of gay adults into their councils as leaders.  As more of them do this, they will pretty much have to go along with it.  Time will tell.

Yes, i watched a tape of his speech and he is right it is unsustainable in this day and age.  Hopefully soon enough that will drop to the wayside.  A council in New York hired a gay Eagle Scout young adult to be a camp director for their summer camp.  Technicially BSA could revoke their council charter, but I'm fairly certain they won't do that.  The only ones who would object are those religious groups that are anti gay that sponsor Scout troops.  The Southern Baptists spoke up immediately and said they didn't like it.  The LDS said that they would step back and think about it.  They supported the removal of the ban on Gay Youth, maybe they'll support this as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Great addition to the story, Eric!  This is my favorite story from the Revolutions Universe (at least until someone else posts a chapter to their RU story  :D )

Seriously, I love this story.  It's easy to identify with the kids in this story.  It must be a truly helpless feeling to see your whole world going crazy around you.  I can't imagine the feelings of helplessness some of the characters must be feeling.  The most gratifying thing to see is that, at least in the RU world, there are people who refuse to be helpless and will do what they can to make things right.  Cole is a good, decent kid and Cooper and Tyler are lucky to have him in their corner. 

Thanks for the update and I'll be eagerly awaiting the next one!

Steve

The one thing I forgot:  You mentioned above that this story dealt with ordinary people doing extraordinary things.  I agree.  There is nothing supernatural going on in this story like in some of the others.  Not that I don't love those parts of the other stories, it's just that this one seems unique in that there are no genetically altered child-warriors, no Star Trek like technology.  Just ordinary folks.  But the scariest part of this story to me, is that while the protagonists are all ordinary people who could exist next door to you, the antagonists are ordinary folks too.  It's not so far-fetched to imagine an "Ashwood" trying some of these things in a not so distant future.  Religious extremism can make people do extreme things.

Love the story so far! It is so frightening to think this kind of thing could actually happen, though the odds are so low. But the Jews of Europe could not believe what Hitler had planned for them either. These teens are kids I would be proud to have raised. A comment.... In my opinion, the Morse code idea is great for a very limited time but once it was realized what it is, I think it would fairly easy for authorities to 'read it', by either recording it and computer analyzing it or finding people who know it. One "break" and the game would be up for the kids.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...