Riposté - Werewolves

Castle Herald

D'Artagnon,

.    Wow ! I'm so enjoying your crossover stories . I love both the changelings & woofers here , Even though I've always been a vampire fan myself. The Good vs Evil here being build up like a multilayered Apple strudel with all these great characters is making me hungry for more and more .  Keep up the great work & happy holidays to you too,

.        John C 

• 5 months later...

In a bit of a twist, the Garou kids each take a spot in the light during this chapter.  They each get to voice their own point of view in what is certainly a pivotal moment in their combined stories.  There are moments of bravery, close calls, and well, if you want to know more, you'll just have to read!   Riposte: Werewolves  Chapter K - Battle of the Y: Children of the Moon   is next!

Do you smell something burning?

Dude!  I've been awaiting the continuation of this for less time than everyone else here but I'd wrestle anyone to the floor who'd believe I was the least eager.

First off, it's a nice idea to switch between the perspectives of the woofers for the battle and one that works really well in keeping track of events as they unfold. 

Nick is as charming and boistrous as ever and dare I say... even more dashing. :wub:  If he weren't narrating, the end of his section would have me screaming at you for a continuation to this right this moment!  With Sven's brief section, you've confirmed him as one of my favourites of the new characters introduced in this story and with Magnus's you've made me appreciate and respect a character who only in the previous chapter I was beginning to hope would get his comeuppance sooner rather than later.  And of course Cody, the keeper of this story, well - he just continues to be as endearing as ever.

Of the expanded bestiary you've introduced here - the squid-bears (Bearthulus???) may very well be featuring in my nightmares soon... so yeah... thanks for that!

Really though a thrilling well paced chapter that kept me on edge as I felt every bite, scratch and cut of the hybrid blade.  Thannk you for this @D'Artagnon, a thoroughly worthy addition to a gripping story.  Now stop reading this comment and get that next chapter finished :P.

At some point I need to get some art featuring the boys up here.  I have in mind a group shot of the boys from this series, all standing around together.  Just have to draw it.

Without giving anything away, if you think this one was wild... wait for the Changelings next chapter, coming real, real soon.

As for this episode... it was tough.  A lot of the things that happen seem more important to one char's point of view, less so to others.  That will be apparent in the Changeling's version of this "Battle of the Y: Children of the Sun"

Nick is, well, Nick.  Sven and Magnus sort of come into their own in this.  I think you'll like how their part of the story works out.  There was just so much going on in this chapter and then next one, that keeping things in one point of view didn't make sense. 

I hope i plays out as well in the next one.  I have a tendency to try to be hyper exact and technical, something i try to avoid.  I want the action to come across without overpowering the complete narrative.

Thanks for the kind words.  I just hope you still think that way after what's to come.  Stay tuned.  Same Riposte time, on the other Riposte channel.

• 4 months later...

Dude!  Nice!

Loved the growing admiration of Cody for the fairy boys and Magnus finally and properly coming around (quite the damaged life he and Sven have had - All these vampire hints need either a chapter or their own story at some point - and that's coming from someone who has decidedly had his fill of Vampires - particularly the body glitter in the sunlight kind).  As always Nick is very possibly the  love of my life, nice to see him get a bit more to do towards the end.  Maybe you could give him a spin off series when this is all said done.  A PI werewolf in in Hawaii perhaps... OK maybe not that. 

When Chucky referred to 'Him' he didn't mean Korbesh did he?  Did he?  There's someone else though right?  No don't tell me... wait, just tell me... No.  Don't.  I'll wait.  But it got my heckles up and my head cocked.  Also what a cock!  I mean, we knew that already... what with him being a murdering rapist and all but there was something in that moment that made me think that you might just kill off Kenny in such a low down crappy way.  Probably because it's the sort of thing that I would do. hahahaha.

Once again and as always an awesome chapter, and I will wait patiently for the next.

Thank you both, Jay and Ellio.  Without revealing too much... nah!  You want to know more, read the next chapter of Riposte: Changelings, which should be posting soon.

At one point there was a plan to put in a vampire story to all of this, but as the Changelings/Werewolf side of things grew and the "superheroes & psychics" side began building steam, I felt that putting the Kindred and all their baggage into the mix would take a lot of time and maybe detract from the central storylines.  Besides, would need a hell of a bloodsucker to compete with the Canterbury boys at this point, and one that they could trust if he were to turn into an ally. 

My vampires would definitely not sparkle.  In fact they'd be more inclined to stay in the shadows.  Plus, as a general rule, vampires don't make other vampires out of non-adults.  Many reasons for this, some of them stemming from not being able to fully replenish yourself when making a junior juice boxer and the neonate having a lot more blood in him during creation than a younger body might be able to contain.  Plus the fact that a younger vampire does not physically age, or even grow, tends to draw attention if he stays in any one place for too long.  Andy of the Lost Boys could tell you all about that situation.

Nick shows he knows his job in this one.  Trying to right Maggie's ship on the bus was part of the ragabash's job of keeping other Garou from losing sight of what's important through humor, ridicule and just being sneaky bastards.  I often describe the "new moons" as stand up comics with a James Bond and adrenaline junky streak.  And let's be completely honest here, all of this stuff that's happened for Sven and Magnus, joining the group, that's only been since breakfast of the first day they met the other kids.  Hell of a first day.

And it's not over yet...

@D'ArtagnonIf I may ask? In your stories you give a lot of detail information. This plants a seen in the readers minds eye. The reader can see the seen and action that is being depicted on the page. I have noticed that you do this so easily. My question is, is this a natural way you wright, or is this something you natured and developed over the course of time?

It's a bit of both.  I was taught to write how I think and speak.  In fact, I often read a passage out loud before deciding to keep it.  If it sounds good spoken, then it usually is properly written.   I think that writers should practice putting themselves to the side sometimes, playing the part of reader to see if what they themselves wrote is something they'd want to be reading.  After all, your first audience is yourself.

Dialogue can be a difficulty with that since much of what is "said" often has some sort of vocal spin, accent, tonal qualities, things such as that, which can put different and subtle meanings to the words.  Nick, for example, has a very pronounced southern Louisiana accent.  His "I" and "mine" sound more like "Ah" and "mahne."  Conversely, most of the Massachusetts boys have variations on the New England accent.  Kenny's is more light, almost unvoiced but does show with his anger or excitement and word choice, almost like Ben Affleck or Matt Damon.  Robby's is a little darker, more sarcastic.  Kind of that Kennedy accent, especially when he says "Yup" or "Shaddup" although his accent is really thin when he's very upset, more prevalent when he's being playful.  I wont even go into how differently I see Magnus and Sven's accents, even one to the other.

So, keeping in mind that I talk out loud, sometimes to no one, reading the bits i write out, I often do go into really, really... really bad accents as I read.  It helps me figure out if I've conveyed the feel and character in any piece of dialogue.  My poor boyfriend often gives me the weirdest looks when I do that, then he realizes what I'm doing and sighs, rolls his eyes and goes back to whatever it was he was doing before I rudely interrupted him.

In short, I write like I think and speak.  Took a while for me to learn how to slow down and get it all on paper, since thinking is faster than talking is faster than typing.  Which may explain why it takes me so long to get things done.  I'm already thinking four chapters ahead, but my fingers have to catch up.

Thank you for your reply. I have notice that some authors renditions is a bit choppy. I do not know if it is just their stile or just an over sight on their part. It seems a bit of a stuggle to get threw their chapters. You can get lost and misplace your spot in the story if you do not stay right on top of it. You read the story and no seen comes to mind and no filling to what is being read. My guess is it all lays in the details. The little things that an author takes time to put in.  Will build upon one another. Then in the scope of the story make such a differents. The different between an good story and an awesome one.

2 hours ago, Ellio Lee said:

@Jay, he's maddeningly good at what he does isn't he ;) ?

Yes he dose, but so do you Ellio Lee. Both of you put so much filling, thought and fillings in what you wright. I think that what makes both of you outstanding authors. Though each of you have different stiles they work for you. That makes me the reader of your work return time and time again. I have enjoyed myself with both your stories. You both can call me a fan. Thank you both for your hard work and time that brings a bright spot in our lives.

@D'Artagnon and @Ellio Lee I hope both of you keep using those wonderful brains to bring us those stories we enjoy so much. Thank you both so much.