Educating Max

Zach Caldwell

• 2 months later...

I've only finished the first 11 chapters, but I just had to write to express how much I'm enjoying this story.  The characters are likable and relatable.  But, that's not even the best thing.  Some of the imagery that you convey with words is nothing short of beautiful! 

"...letting his heart and soul drip pain into the night sky."

There have been dozens of instances so far where I just had to stop, reread a passage again a time or two, marvel at the ability to string together words in such a profound way, then almost regretfully move on.  That line, and many like them are amazing!

Thanks, D'Artangon.  I'll be back when I've finished the last few chapters.

Steve

Thank you, Steve.  Took me a minute to remember that quote from chapter 11, where Michael was playing harmonica.  And while the story is about Max, and in a way from Max (although by committee), Michael is one of my favorite supporting characters.  Every once in a while, I have to let him have center stage, if only so that we can see how much Maxy loves and respects and really looks up to his older brother.

As for your kind words, I can only say that as a writer you want to make the story as real, as deep and as powerful for the reader as it appears in your own head.  I believe many of the other writers here believe the same way.  The power of a story isn't just in getting your message across or telling a moving tale.  It's in making a connection to the reader.  It's in making people feel themselves drawn into the characters and events.  I can only hope I accomplish this.  I am very glad that the story moves you so.  And I humbly thank you for your feedback.

Definitely look around here, though.  There are scores of amazing writers putting out great stories.  Check 'em out.  Some of my favorite stories here have fantastic writing and ideas that I only hope I can measure up comparatively to.

Sorry D'Artangon.  While re-reading what I posted, I realized I should have set that quote up a little better so everyone would know what the heck I was talking about.  I sort of looked around for an "edit" button, but didn't see one.  You are absolutely correct about the setting.  Michael was sitting on the hood of his old Mustang and you were commenting on the melancholy nature of his impromptu blues riff.

As for the other writers, I couldn't agree more.  I have been reading here for about five months, starting with the "Revolutions" stories.  I intend to post about everything I enjoy as I read it, but I just want it to be something that's fresh in my mind.  I missed my chance on a lot of what I've read, but I'll get to them again. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I read this a couple of weeks ago but totally forgot comment so you'll need to forgive me if I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I thought "Educating Max" wa an excellent story and a thrilling introduction to the telepaths.  Max and Cameron are sweetness and light (together) but Max's darker side, his pain and anger bubbling uner the surface is intriguing and well conveyed.  Cameron's past (which I'm sure is going to revealed) suggestes a certain amount a heartbreak and torment and that's always an excellent hook for me as far as characters go.  I should say that Michael is one of my favourite side characters in the story so far and I do hope that he continues to appear.

As for the shadowy organization that seems intent on bringing the telepaths to heel I get the feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more of them in future.  Particularly as we now know where the the venerable Dr Stamos has wound up.

Great work D'Atagnon, I look forward to continuing the adventure in Canterbury.