Kandric Saga

Zach Caldwell

• 2 weeks later...

Kyle,

You 've done it again. I just have read quickly some parts. I will have to sit down to read it all.

Some parts come together while again another story lines are created.

I believe it will continue for a while...

However it would be nice if Kyle would post at least a chapter a year.

But he has had good reasons why not, but a man can dream..

Woo. Just finished it. I still want more, but I know we're not gonna get any for a year or so!

Things I liked

1. Vondum and Glaster finally meeting
  2. A glance at what Charkash's true field is -- I'm guessing Enchanted Archer here
  3. More insight on Gambra!
  4. Royal Dragon kill!
  5. Conth growing a backbone
  6. I'm sensing a new storyline with Kandric's youngest
  7. We finally get names on a lot of previously unnamed people.

Things I didn't like so much

1. Sarissa's fantastic racism, and Kandric's over-the-top reaction to the Drow hostility
  2. Still no reunion between Kandric, Aster, and Conner
  3. No screen time between Bayne/Aster and Klandon/Zoldon
  4. Aster didn't get to do anything this chapter
  5. There's still a cliffhanger - I so wanted to see Kandric's reaction to Frexla's incursion

First of all, I loved it. Thanks Kyle!

I have followed The Kandric Story since The Storytellers forum, back in 2000, and it has started to connect all the dots, so I hope we will soon see an ending to book 1. 
There are loads of stuff ready for a new book.

Some thoughts about this chapter.

I missed the Aster/Bayne reaction to the dragonkill.

Also, this chapter could have been parted in two, to gives us a new chapter faster. 

I actually wished it was longer.

The reason is, Mr. Aarons needs to totally immerse himself into a trance so he can start channeling Kandric, which is why updates are so sporadic. I'd much rather he maximizes the use of that trance and starts to push the title towards its climax :) 

Also, Book 1?

The 3 latest chapters of Kandric have 176,982 words. It is longer than the first two books of Harry Potter, combined. It is longer than the Prisoner of Azkaban, and the Half Blood Prince. With the exception of East of Eden and War and Peace, it is longer than any of the novels listed on https://indefeasible.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/great-novels-and-word-count/

So, I think we've gone far, far beyond Book 1 :D

Just so we know, including all titling and captions, The Kandric Saga currently tops out at 747,951 words (includes chapter 31).

Offhand, I would say that this is just a bit more than Book 1....

In comparison (just to show what Zergrinch was saying):

• War and Peace = 587,287 words
  • Atlas Shrugged = 561,996 words
  • Middlemarch = 316,059 words
  • The Fountainhead = 311,596 words
  • East of Eden = 225,395 words

At this moment, none of us know how many more chapters it will take for Kyle to pull it all together... if that is what is going on, as it appears (thanks for that link, Zergrinch. Awesome!).

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, Skylar said:

Yay! Finally read it all. It was fantastic but now it seems that we have to deal with this wait for the next chapter again. I loved the fight scenes but some parts felt a little draggy especially those about the Yarney group. 

I think I am hurt.... Didn't like poor Yarnay's group... Pout... You may want to re-read those sections, because I spent a great deal of time on time for a reason... Also keep in mind, I think it is good to see lower powered actions instead of all the heroic powered characters. I hope others enjoy a fight where things are more evenly matched. Also, keep in mind, while there are heroes that go down in history, the story behind them is every pit as important to the bigger picture.

and Zirgrinch, just because I haven't talked about the high council for a bit... you may want to investigate what time and words were between Kandric saying "lock, stock and barrel" and the time Pontarious shot someone with a flintlock...

or, to move to another story, in GS the time and words between a camera sliding under a bed and it coming back into the light of day...

Just saying, some things may not be nearly as "dead" as they seem :P

1 hour ago, Kyle Aarons said:

and Zirgrinch, just because I haven't talked about the high council for a bit... you may want to investigate what time and words were between Kandric saying "lock, stock and barrel" and the time Pontarious shot someone with a flintlock...

or, to move to another story, in GS the time and words between a camera sliding under a bed and it coming back into the light of day...

Just saying, some things may not be nearly as "dead" as they seem :P

Ah, so THAT was the reference you mean between Kandric talking about it and Pontarius coming out with a gun.

Kandric never said that though. The pertinent passage was just: "Kandric realized if he continued to argue Vondum might become suspicious. As it was, he had been lucky his obvious desire to leave had been mistaken lock, stock, and barrel for a need to get back home. Slowly he forced himself to nod, "I know, but it sure looks like a huge storm. It may take days to pass."

I now understand that these are the parts of a musket, but I must admit I interpret the phrase as a figure of speech that means "everything" and not in fact talking about a boomstick.

6 hours ago, Kyle Aarons said:

I think I am hurt.... Didn't like poor Yarnay's group... Pout... You may want to re-read those sections, because I spent a great deal of time on time for a reason... Also keep in mind, I think it is good to see lower powered actions instead of all the heroic powered characters. I hope others enjoy a fight where things are more evenly matched. Also, keep in mind, while there are heroes that go down in history, the story behind them is every pit as important to the bigger picture.

I am sorry :P. While it will undoubtedly be important in the overall context and the subsequent chapters, I just can't help but think of theses part as getting in the way of the juicy parts of action scene or descriptions of a new skill/waepon/scene. That said I can't wait for the next chapter but perhaps I shall try some restrain. Thanks for the latest chapter btw. It was absolutely fantastic. Loved the pond idea.  

18 hours ago, Zergrinch said:

Ah, so THAT was the reference you mean between Kandric talking about it and Pontarius coming out with a gun.

Kandric never said that though. The pertinent passage was just: "Kandric realized if he continued to argue Vondum might become suspicious. As it was, he had been lucky his obvious desire to leave had been mistaken lock, stock, and barrel for a need to get back home. Slowly he forced himself to nod, "I know, but it sure looks like a huge storm. It may take days to pass."

I now understand that these are the parts of a musket, but I must admit I interpret the phrase as a figure of speech that means "everything" and not in fact talking about a boomstick.

I would never use a reference like that in a time period where it didn't exist. It was a built in clue. But hey, there are several others scattered in almost all my stories. It makes if fun to drop a hint and let it sit on a low simmer for a bit...

yes, he did it again!

and topped the words of all the chapters before!

thanks, kyle, for another wonderful chapter of kandric.
but i agree, it could have been much longer and more.
hope you find your trance to kandrics world soon again and can make another spirit walk in the realms of spirits.
if you are like Kandric, you shall be able to walk in both worlds effortlessly :)

what was very mean sometimes were the cliffhangers between a subchapter and its continuation. there was total thrill and suddenly at the top the view changed to another group.
e.g. i would have liked to see the reactions of the alphar and garm court about vondums revelation who killed the ice demon. he hinted that and just as we could see the reaction it was switched, scene cut.
and it wasnt taken anymore at the switchback but was gone on to other things.

fantastic writing, fantastic to read.

i so wish this book could be sold in covers at amazon and local book stores. i am sure it would burst the top of fantasy.

Please give us the next chapter soon!

your reader Darian Fey

• 3 months later...

I think I have been following The Kandric Saga forever! I first discovered this seminal work of fiction many years ago in the Nifty Archive and, ever since, never missed the chance to read each new chapter as it appeared. The amazing fictional world created, the brilliant character development, the skilled writing, and the compelling plot all combine to make this story worthy of the highest praise. Thank you for all your hard work from an ardent fan. Now I have to find time to read your other works!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have enjoyed The Kandric Saga a lot (as well as The Sands of Time). I hope both authors find the time and drive to add more to their stories. Kyle somehow manages to successfully juggle numerous plot lines and remember what is going on over years of writing. As grand fantasy goes, this is really interesting.

I don't consider the following a spoiler, although I grabbed it from a spoiler section within Zergrinch's post regarding things he didn't like in chapter 31. I'll encase my reply as a spoiler just in case. (Forum software won't allow me to put a quote within a spoiler, though.)

On 2/28/2017 at 3:00 AM, Zergrinch said:

Sarissa's fantastic racism, and Kandric's over-the-top reaction to the Drow hostility.

Spoiler

My feeling was much the same. Racism, attitudes toward orphans and lower classes, and sex with minors (so long as done legally) are common and sometimes extreme in the KU. On top of all that, many of the Alphar have an excessive pride and arrogance. Kandric's grandfather exemplifies this most strongly, to the point of becoming a traitor when his world-view is challenged. Sarissa at least listens, and her sense of decorum generally keeps her most backward views private. Kandric's reaction to Alphar Drow hostility does indeed seem overboard considering the attitude of all the non-Drow races toward the Drow. As the two Alphar walk home on their journey of enlightenment, I doubt they will see much to change their views toward the Drow. It will probably be good for them overall, teaching them some humility, but I doubt they will see much to teach them who the Drow really are. As I think about it, The Sands of Time shows a much higher civilian hatred and distrust of the Drow than has Kyle's story. So maybe the attitude of Kyle's civilians toward the Drow is less intense than Roland's.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, I'm not holding my breath.

It is a very good day if a writer can belt out a thousand words in 8 hours. And I know there are days when you read what you wrote yesterday, and just throw everything away. Of course, I'm talking about hobbyist writers like Kyle who write for free; those who get paid for writing could probably do way more.

40,000 words being 30% complete, is around 130,000 words in total. 90,000 words to go, assuming 500 words per day (since naturally there are productive days, non-productive days, and unexpected happenings of life), means 6 months minimum for the full manuscript.

The alpha readers will probably need at least a week to go through the story and correct any grammatical errors (I notice Kyle rarely has typographical errors; instead, he uses wrong words that sound very close to the correct word [homonyms], meaning he probably dictates more than he types.) Of course, there may also be continuity errors to deal with.

I think at least two weeks are needed to approve the changes. Add another 2 weeks for the beta round, and it's easily 7 months until the story is ready. Minimum.

Fearless forecast. No earlier than September 20, 2018 for the next chapter to go up on Wolfsnest, and no earlier than October 1, 2018 on Castle Roland ;)