Kyle Aarons: Ask a Character:

Kyle Aarons

I’ve been debating for a while on how to ask this question, as it is the same question, but to two different people, Jamon, and Lacate.

i know that your situations are different, but you both share something, and I am wondering how you view this.  Jamon, you were of the merchant class before you were captured, and turned into a slave.  Lacate, you were high merchant, before you willingly turned yourself over to indentured servitude.  

So my question becomes, has your time spent in service to others changed your opinion on those who are of a lower class than you were?  

Also, Jamon.... I know you are now free, but what advise would you give others, including Lacate, who find themselves in a situation much like you did?

Willingly? Willingly?!? WILLINGLY !?! What is wrong with you??? There was nothing willingly about me indenturing myself with nothing but slave rights for a period of time to Premier Kandric! He was going to leave me battered, bloodied and chained lying in the snow if I didn't agree! How in the name of the gods is that willingly doing anything? 

And for the record, the only reason I am bothering to answer you is because Premier Kandric required I do so.

As for changing my mind, screw you!!! All this has done is make me look horrible, feel horrible, and totally strip away who I was supposed to be (And don't go talking about stripping physically and keeping me with little to nothing on, cause that is as bad or worse for now I am nothing more than a bedable toy to him and can do nothing about it) I was born upper merchant, almost low noble. Now I am forever tainted. Thus this directly embarrass my family, a slight my father will hold over me well after I am free of my servitude to the Premier. This disgrace, this humiliation will be a life-long nightmare for me. My service, if that is what you wish to call it, is forced upon me. The is nothing I can do about it, cause like it or not he has the power to cause me far more agony than the pain and disgust of what he requires of me. Besides, I gave my word. It is not because I had a choice, but he forced me to give myself over to him and now for me to not submit would mean a breach of contract. I know what failure to follow the contract means, it means forfeiture of rights over what was agreed upon. Since the agreement, no matter how forced was, is, me being the centerpiece of the contract. Thus for me to break the contract would mean I would forfeit myself, making me a slave. That is not something I can come back from, so now I need to do what I must, even giving Premier Kandric more time on the contract for me to  adjust a nd learn to deal with what he demands. I need to get to a place to where I can survive, for my only real option is to deal with this humiliation until the end of this forced upon me servitude.

As for the second part of your dim-witted question (you must be from a low caste to ask such a ridiculous question) All this has really done is prove just how vile and revolting the dregs of society are, even the former ones. Someone out in the slums had to train this Premier, someone who clearly made Premier Kandric beyond powerful. This means both his mentor and  Premier Kandric hid behind the filth, the stench, and the revolting and much deserved  to those who live there, conditions of the slums. They were/are like assassins in waiting. Premier Kandric repeatedly came into Slome acting, playing the part of a squatter class pile of dung. He invited the taunts, the treatment due a squatter, and the refusals for employ from scores of upper caste families and shop owners. All he would have had to have done was show a guild pin, even a training echelon one. It would have opened doors and gotten him enough coin to move his whole family inside the walls of Slome. But no! He invited the hazing, the refusals of employ, and the other well deserved physical and verbal  barbs higher caste members tossed his direction all so he could  suddenly and unexpectedly use it against the ruling castes of our city. Now I am nothing more than a sacrificial pawn and play piece for Premier Kandric.  But no matter who he now is, the grunge of his birth class and the vile deceit, nor the taint of the slums will ever be gone from him. At least I was born as his better and once this nightmare is over he will have to face he has the bloodline of a squatter and I have the bloodline of a much higher caste in my blood.

Lacate

Oh, Lacate... You have much to learn...

While I had similar thoughts and in my past was more than happy to toss some meanness and cruelty toward the lower castes, it took me only days to lean a leasson you seem unwilling to accept even though you are now living the life I found myself in. However, Lacate, you gave your servitude to Kandric as a free being. He RESCUED you. You may have bloody and in chanis, but after the battle in the forest... Um, well battle for some of us... more of a light warm-up at best to Kandric, but whatever... Anyway I digress. You were left bloodied, injured and restrained after the skirmish in the forces, but you were free. I didn't have such a choise. I was captured and enslaved. Kandric gave me a choice and I took what I saw as the lesser of two very bad choices, and as a slave, being given a choice at all is something I will look back on and forever treasure, because as property i had no right to make any choice.

As things turned out, I was also rescued, but at least I know where my loyalties need to be. I was the same caste, or at least very close to yours, but now I am an ex-slave. But I am guilded, fully guilded, and even Dragon Gifted. My ex-slave taint will forever be there, putting me at the bottom of whatever caste I obtain, but I am certain even as the spirit stars of Quati look down at me every night, I will one day, probably soon, be able to take the guilded title of Teacher. You, Lacate, could with a twist of attitude, do the same under the tutelage of Kandric. Going from free, to captured was bad, but going from captured to given as a gift was far worse. While not legal in the truest sense of the word, the result was the same I became property. I had a slave collar and slave bands put on me. I saw the looks directed at me that I used to give those I looked down on. Now, even as a guilded free being, I know I will see anyone of a lower caste as a feeling, thinking, and a being worth something. 

I could walk away from this right now, but to do so would be not only foolish, but to turn my back on the being who was the only glimmer of light left in the very dark world I found myself in would be to tun my back on myself. Do you know what I could have been sold for? But Kandric not only freed me, he also freed my brother to me. There is a measure of... part of me wants to use the word love, but not sure if that is the right word... whatever, without Kandric I would still be a slave and would have certainly shared Vondum's bed multiple times and probably even worse things. 

Look at yourself, Lacate. The only reason you are indentured to Kandric and not a slave is Kandric rescued you. Do you really think the Green Dragonling, the governor's daughter, and those with them were going to let you go at some point? No! You were days, maybe hours, from being sold! You are me, and I am you. The only difference is I have accepted it and have now become more than I ever would have. You... well you are either going to keep giving Kandric more servitude time whenever he turns up the pressure, or accept your role as I did and be able to hold your head up someday. However, when when... or if... you ever are free to hold your head up high, you best look at every lower caste being with a new eye. They have, we have, thoughts, feelings, and even dreams. A dream of a beggar might be totally different than yours, but the power of that dream, even for a meal or a warm bed is just as powerful as you wanting to be allowed to wear clothing or not have to sleep with Kandric. Cause like it or not,  and I know from first hand experience, Kandric's bed is warm and you, like me, are getting fed. Think about it!

Jamon

Lacate, 

I also have a question. How do you feel about your brother Velvert selling you out? I mean one moment  your a high merchant cast. The next your beaten blooded and in chains. While your brother walks free. Also do you really think your family will stay in Slome once they here Kandric is now seen as its ruler by the Garm and Alphar. I bet they cut there losses and run like your brother did.

Kaius

Cinder,

Pack, family it matters not what you call them, they are yours to protect. However being a father and guardian of 3 boys and 4 girls I was referring to the fact when you only have boys you have only there dicks  to worry about. But with girls you have every other dick to worry about. Although with Braden you may have more dicks to worry about. (I know one of my sons is gay) but the worry is the same.

Kaius

• 3 weeks later...

Sir,

What my brother did or didn't do is a family matter. He may be free or dead, how am I supposed to know? Why should I care at this point? My family will never take me back as a full family member once Kandric parades me through the streets of some. As far as Slome goes, where else are they going to go? The real wealth of my family is in their property and businesses in Slome. They have nowhere to go unless they sell off everything for a huge loss. Cause I bet the Garm and Alphar know of Kandric's dislike of my family and will prevent Father from selling for a good price. At least until he forces me to publicly serve him which will cause great family shame and get me removed from any inheritance. Being a servant with slave.rights will ruin me in my family's eyes. Something you just don't understand 

Sir, a pack is more than a family. A pack is a unit of order and life of one is life of all. A lost pack member is not nor can ever be written off as I see with so many families. A disagreement between pack members even over an election or voting would never result in a pack member being discarded like trash. I guess that make the pack way less animalistic than what you refer to as a family. As for girls, a real female in my pack would make others worry more about their own cocks than me worring about them. Get my drift... or maybe your world didn't have a Bobbitt...

• 2 weeks later...

put those up in your yard and give me your address, then... yeah, whayt I would do not only the 'decorations', but the whole damned block would cause some to think a real party happened and others to thing of a natural disaster, but whatever why ones brain may look at the aftermath, it would be epic

Cinder

• 1 year later...

Dear Gambra 

What is your favorite implement of torture? I know you have a pretty wide selection, but I'm sure you have one or two of those devilish devices laying around that you have a particular fondness for. Who makes your tools by the way? Do you have a metalworker among the Dark Mages that handles some of your more eccentric purchases? If you happen to have an Elf, do you take advantage of that Iron poisoning when attempting to get them to agreeing to be one of your spell pages, or a tasty meal for a demon? From what I've heard Iron shackles can be absolutely maddening to elves.

Just curious! 
-Demented