Paulek

Castle Herald

Wow wonderful chapter. Paolek killed the much older drinker. The trader should have give his brother back. Now he has six young boys to look after. The bandits came along at a good time for them. Now with all the coin he has will he try and buy his brother or just take him. Paulek now is smitten with the farm boy will he try and turn him. We will have to wait to fined out.

Very good chapter. We see the mayor and his dishonest crew arrested. The property they stolen returned to the rightful owners. We see the sea campain has went well. The land campain has stellmated. It looks as the push on the land campain will have tobe moved foreward. What will the land force do to inprove it's campain in the passes? We will have to return to find out.

Thank you for all your work writing these stories.

That being said I am a little dissapointed on this one. I was reading drummer boy (both) and they are superb stories that keep me hanging for the next chapter, and very sad from seeing them end.

Paulek however was not what I was expecting from reading the first chapters, I was waiting to read about Paulek and the adventures he had, but the lasts chapters I feel were more about things that were happening and Paulek got a little involved.

I feel the story from the point where Paulek got Milac back could have dispensed Paulek and co. and still go on. I wanted to read about Milac recovery, Abour Tito and Bevic taking care of Paulek, Milac and the boys, Paulek and Bevic, etc...

I am not trying to tell you how to write stories, thats a talent I dont have, but I think you didnt take full advantage of a good story.

Anyway, I hope I didnt sound like an a-hole, because I have really enjoyed your other stories, and I will be waiting for the next one.

Hi Solovinomit

I understand where you are coming from in your comment, but I think these are positive things about Arthur's many stories, not negative ones.

He creates worlds and moves quickly within them, leaving us as readers many avenues of fantasy and imagination that we can explore in our own heads. He gives us the framework and we can fill in the gaps. 

In this story, for example, he outlines the relationship between a "drinker" and a Roma protector; he tells us they have sex together and need to have sex regularly; and he describes their first night: -- but he doesn't need to then describe any more such interactions. We know it's there and we can fill it in. Likewise, Paulek's feelings for his brother and for Bevic. It's in many ways more exciting for a reader to be able to fill in these gaps for ourselves without having everything spelled out for us in graphic detail.

Sometimes that can create continuity problems, of course. If drinkers all need Roma protectors, there should be Roma protectors for all of the group of drinkers Paulek assembles, but they aren't there, and the story would have developed in a different direction if they were. But, again, this gives the reader the opportunity to re-imagine the story filling in different blanks and taking it in unique directions of our own. So, if I want to, I can imagine a story where Tito finds a crew of young ruffians who bond with their own drinkers and with each other and have their own adventures. 

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that Arthur's special genius is in world-building, and part of the enjoyment of reading his stories is to inhabit the worlds he creates and take them in different directions. In "Drummer Boy", for example, the relationship between Thomas and Carmelo is never explicit. Are they having a physical relationship? I think there was one time when he said they were sleeping in the same bed. But the beauty of that is that we can take it where we want it, he doesn't limit us to one future. 

That's just my take on it, of course. But I much prefer Arthur's approach, pulling me into an imaginary landscape and allowing my mind to run free within it, to the idea that every i must be crossed and every t dotted.

Hello Arthur,

Thank you again for another tale from a forgotten time & place. I truly enjoyed this saga and thought about it being an ancestor for our Vampire Prince who you've written about many times before.

Take care my friend , I look forward to our next journey,

.                   John C 

On 8/13/2017 at 1:14 PM, Solovinomit said:

Thank you for all your work writing these stories.

That being said I am a little dissapointed on this one. I was reading drummer boy (both) and they are superb stories that keep me hanging for the next chapter, and very sad from seeing them end.

Paulek however was not what I was expecting from reading the first chapters, I was waiting to read about Paulek and the adventures he had, but the lasts chapters I feel were more about things that were happening and Paulek got a little involved.

I feel the story from the point where Paulek got Milac back could have dispensed Paulek and co. and still go on. I wanted to read about Milac recovery, Abour Tito and Bevic taking care of Paulek, Milac and the boys, Paulek and Bevic, etc...

I am not trying to tell you how to write stories, thats a talent I dont have, but I think you didnt take full advantage of a good story.

Anyway, I hope I didnt sound like an a-hole, because I have really enjoyed your other stories, and I will be waiting for the next one.

Posted May 29

I badgered Arthur to let me start publishing "Paulek" this coming Thursday, so that if it takes longer for him to write chapter 23, we will at least have something of Arthur's to read.

I realize that many of us have read this, back when it first came out, but that was in 2012 - 5 years ago. I suspect for many of us, it will almost be a fresh read. For those of you that haven't read this story.... Sit back and enjoy! It's a rollicking good tale.

Al.

As you can see here this story is five years old, this just shows how far Arthur has grown in his writing ability sense then.