Refugee, Parts 1 - 4 - Exodus

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of William King's stories can now be found at William King]

William King

Refugee, Part 1 - Exodus

Chapter 1

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

There is a well used saying that I've heard many times, 'Things always get worse, before they get better!' Sometimes you have to wonder if things really do get better. The road each of us will travel is filled with curves, stops, hazards, and the unexpected. This story is exactly that, and it's a long journey through hell, but like Samir says, "he got used to that."

Thanks for commenting, and reading.

Everybody is aware of the war in Syria and the refugees that are the result. But, is everybody aware of the amplitude of the crisis. If you read this story, you may think - 'He made up a lot of this, exaggerated, threw in some sex.' If you have the time, then read the recent piece published in The Guardian, this is just one report amongst hundreds. This whole story, yes, it is fiction, but the reality is there, you only have to look.

Hassan’s parents dispatched him from his home in Damascus last September, when he was 14, to join family in Europe. ...

... Noticing Hassan’s growing desperation, a people smuggler told him he would put him in a car and drive him to Berlin if he agreed to sleep with him. “Some people agree because they are very desperate. When he saw me in the street a few days later, he said: ‘If you don’t go with me, I will kill you.’ He thinks he’s God,” Hassan said. ...

Read the full article published in The Guardian, December 2016.

Help Refugees: a lifeline for teenagers living in seedy Athens squats | Society | The Guardian

An outstanding begining to this story. It gave you an ensight to how the boy felt. When he was pulled from what was his home. How he has to endure just to survive to the next day. I look foreward to reading the next chapter. The story just wants you to see where it is headed and you have to return.

Very good first chapter. It does indeed pull you right into the story and Samir's attempt to survive. Amar did use him a little bit but I was glad to see him feel bad about it, tell the other boy off and reveal (to us) that he has real feelings for Samir.

This story reminded me of The Kite Runner. It has a similar culture.

Thanks, William!

Thanks Jay and Jeikor for your comments, I am pleased that the story has captured your imagination. It is odd perhaps, but even in the midst of chaos and desolation there can still be a tiny glow of warmth and humanity. Such is apparent in Amar's dawning realisation that he does have feelings for Samir, the new boy.

Another fine chapter as we knew it would be. Samir as so many youth in such powerless places, he now knows his fate. Graham as so many are welling to take such liberties though shamefull as they are. We can only wonder about how Edmound will be. I will have to return once more to find out. You have my interest now lets see where this gose.

WOW, what an awsome chapter. We see the displeasure of Samir being taken by Amar. Amar's regret for his action. Both with such fillings for each other will over come even in this hurrific place. We will have to see if they help Nizar and Anas even Mohmmad. I think they will or hope they will. We will see when we come back.

Luck was with the boys meetting Burhan. Amar getting passed by the border guards was pure luck. The boys now have a home as it mite be off the streets. It could be worse. Now that they are there what next? Well we will have to return and see. Maybe Firas will get them a job with him. Over all I think it is an improvement.

1 hour ago, William King said:

Are you phychic, just guessing, or did I give too much away? 

No just guessing. I am sure not everything will be cheery for them. I am sure the path they are on will have a few rocks and pot wholes along the way. You never know. When you think you do things change that is why I am a fan of your work.

• Castle Herald changed the title to Refugee, Parts 1 - 4 - Exodus