The 5th Age

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of D’Artagnon’s stories can now be found at D'Artagnon]

D'Artagnon

The 5th Age

Prelude

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

The beginning of one historical epoch is not necessarily the end of another.  Often there is an overlap, a period of transition.  While a lot of what goes on in Canterbury is behind the scenes, there's still more that's behind the scenes of even that unseen world.  Some answers, some further mysteries and explanations that only make things less clear... all of this and the growing importance of Barnie's Burger Barn... This isn't Camelot; this is the 5th Age, and it begins...   now!

Hey Marc!  'Sup!

Very interesting start! I love that we get to go back and see when everything (kind of) started. The Fox knowing Yoseph explains how they knew something happened to the wolf in that group. So some things explained while new questions appear . . . . . . . and appear . . . . . . . and appear . . . . . 

Uh, I think you get the picture.

Gotta us by the short hairs and wanting more again. Good job, D'Artagnon!

Oh, I forgot. Is it my imagination or does it appear by something Merlin said that his grandchild and spouse just happen to be Robby's parents?

Did he expect his great grandson to be the one to bring the Tear?

How will he react to their deaths (or did they have to go back to their own time)?

Can't wait to see what answer might be forthcoming in this story.

To hit both of your posts in one reply, Jeikor...

Believe it or not, this story has been in the works for the better part of 10 years.  So all the connections here aren't new or made to "fit" with other stories.  There is a plan.  A long, deep, rather convoluted plan, but a plan does exist.  And Meryl/Ralphy/Merlyn's connection to his daughter, her husband, their time traveling back to this time, and even the birth of Merlyn's "eldest grandson" seems to be a thing.  And technically, yes, this takes place about 6 to 8 weeks ahead of Robby's parents' deaths.  Fox has been a figure in the area for a while, even going so far as to take on the mantle of his/her grandfather as the Merrimack Cat Burglar.  The meeting of four principles of different types within the Merrimack Valley's supernatural community (and hints of vampires!) and then the knowledge of at least a fifth (in the form of Merlyn/Ralphy) indicates that there's been things going on for a long time.

Although it did raise several questions in my own mind, as far as plot points.  Being around along as Andy Fox has, surely there were times he could have taken action against Stamos.  You'd think that something might have happened in all that time, that he might have discovered who Stamos was hiding as.  Andy has said that he withheld action on his own part because he saw Stamos had children in his care.  Must have driven our Fox crazy, that internal conflict.

Andy's relationship to Yoseph also does explain a little about how he knew what to do when Tom was at death's door.  Andy is a very complex character.  Often he keeps things to himself to protect others.  Sometimes he keeps things to himself to keep leverage.  When I first designed this character, I had in mind a Robin type.  Trained as a spy, keeping to the shadows, striking from darkness and fading back into them.  Someone who has patience, attention to details, a need for secrecy, and driven by their own demons, sense of honor and intensity.  Someone with a lot of internal conflicts, but propelled by a need they themselves can't always explain.

Similar to Michael.  Although in Mike's case, its a matter of keeping all that internal pressure behind a cheerful outlook.  He's witty, wise, well to know.  Mike keeps his fascade light, boyant, politically deceptive.  He also has his demons, dark secrets and emotions to cover.

So all of this is well before the events of Lost Boys and Educating Max.  And it happens just as Coupe and Last Place are basically happening.  Hopefully it does shed some light on all the stories, and cast some shade as well.  For you see, the closer you get to the light, the longer and darker the shadows grow behind you.

But that is another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Very much enjoyed this first chapter!  Merlin's a bit of a tool huh? haha.  I like him already.

I get the feelilng that Just because I'm up to date with Summer stories I will now need to start the Fall before continuing on with this as I'm sure there a refs made here that I missed.  Kinda like seeing a sign post, knowing it's a sign post but not recognising the name of the turn off. 

Anyway, a great first chapter, loved the Chess game!  Looking forward to more (once I've caught up with the other stories).

• 1 year later...