Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Arthur's stories can now be found at Arthur]

Arthur

Drummer Boy: The Road North

Battle of Albuera - The Aftermath

Chapter 1

With his Auxiliary mostly blown to bits and the remnants now scattered around the Spanish countryside...at least Thomas is alive and can perhaps retire from action and convalesce to recover some quality of civilian life....if Arthur is going there........or am I the only one worried that might happen?

man this is just a great story and I have found that I really like all the authors work, but and sorry this other author is making him change the names kind of sucky on his part. wish I knew what the name of the story or story's where that he used the names in so I could read them to see if they are good enough to say hey you can't use these names there mine

Actually the " Sharpe" name that Arthur was using is Copyrighted and is owned by Bernard Cornwell see the quote below:-

Sharpe is a series of historical fiction stories by Bernard Cornwell 

That is the reason for the name changes in Drummer Boy, we do not want Arthur to end up being sued, do we ?

Yes R08m4rv, i kind of got that that was why Carmelo's last name was changed, what i am wondering though is why the name of the good Sergeant O'Malley has been changed.

Pvt. Cooper i would understand as Bernard Cornwell has a Rfn Francis Cooper in his novels's, but i do not see a Sgt O'Malley ilisted in the Characters list on the wikipedia page of the novel's

Whether or not Wikipedia lists ""O'Malley" as a character is not the point. The character is used by Mr. Cornwell in his books and is therefore subject to copyright laws. Mr. Cornwell spoke through his publisher and Arthur was denied the use of those two names.

Arthur, being an author himself (as well as a man of integrity), informed me of the decision by the publisher. I immediately changed all references to "Sharpe" and "O'Malley" to "Grey" and "O'Rourke". I did this to protect Arthur from a copyright infringement suit. It is my hope that the other websites that have published Drummer Boy, have done the same.

Regardless of any controversy this name change brings, the overall story is simply too good for such a minor thing to detract from what Arthur has written.

dtm180,

Good day to you.

If you care to " google" Richard Sharpe, you will also find reference to Sean Bean who actually played Sharpe. The Utube videos also in the credits make a note of the gentleman who plays the role of Sergeant Patrick Harper, his surname  is O'malley. If you watch these episodes on utube there are some very good battle scenes which may bring some of what young Thomas Marking was a part of.

Definitely a great chapter, Thomas is back in health and on his way to the vimeiro Home valley. I wonder howlong it wil take for Mr.Grey and O'Rourke to come looking. I am also wondering of our Thomas wil ever see his birth family again, do not forget it has been weeks at best but probably a few months now so his family wil have been informed of his demise. I am also looking forward to when Wellesley(Wellington) and Beresford see Thomas walking in as a spanish General. I have a feeling that Beresford especially wil try to make more trouble for him.

For the rest i can only agree with those who have posted before me.