Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

11 hours ago, ChrisR said:

I am amused that folks here are ready to bid adieu to our Drummer Boys with the withdrawal of Napoleon and his forces from the Iberian Peninsula. Yet wasn't there some subsequent little dust-up or another that re-awakened The Continent's need for brilliant military personnel, leaders and actions?

Then again, I'm just an Ami and we still figure the War of 1812 was ours and fought primarily afloat against the bloody British..

Thomas and his bunch of ragamuffins where during these last few years working for the Spanish and Portuguese so he would have no reason to get involved in what happened later when the idiot king returned to Spain, indeed it was the supporters of Thomas who have made arrangements to make sure he does not get involved.in the chaos that the fool king created as I see it.

:(:(:(

I knew, we all knew, it was coming but that did not stop the tears this morning (German time) when I read those two words 'The End'.  I have truly enjoyed the DB journey with all it ups and downs, friendships, adventure, betrayal and togetherness that was El Toro's family.   What I would love to see (hint, hint)  would be a holiday short story bringing  Grey and O'Rourke home and meeting the family.

Earlier you said that you had five stories in the wings. Can't wait to see what they are. 

Thank you for the journey.

I too was sad to read "the end" but I am the eternal optimist.  I can only hope and pray there is more to hear about Thomas

and his incredible journeys.  I have never enjoyed a story more.  Excellently written, researched and developed.  I know I

will read it again and again.  Thank you Arthur for a story that in my humble opinion, is the best I have read in a long long

time.  God bless you.

Arthur, as RNZEME you should know that the REME can get things done even if it takes toll on ones brain and muscles. We can wait until all the stories that are busting to get out of your head are finished, and will all look forward to even a 10 chapter( or more) :) conclusion of Thomas's adventures at sea.

Your loyal subjects will wait until you are well rested and readily wait whatever you are planning next.Remember Arte et Marte means  by skill and by fighting . Enjoy the pics REME is 75 years old in 2017.

Image result for reme cap badgeImage result for rnzeme cap badgeImage result for reme cap badge

3 minutes ago, WolfLover said:

OMG!  I just remembered that there is STILL an unanswered question aka Red Herring!    Who is the Prince's spy in the camp???  Did I miss this?? 

This calls for an EPILOGUE. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:lol:

Wolf, I am sure that will emerge in book three ( it will come). I am just reading back through some chapters and I has just gotten to where Thomas asked the Prince if he had a spy in his camp.

Thank you very much, Arthur, for this story. I am not usually a fan of historical fiction but you made it an exciting and emotional trip that was well worth taking. I too am sad to see the end but as a writer myself I know an end must come. I could tell there was an opening for doing another book based on his travels and look forward to it if you decide to write it. Until then I will enjoy Paulek and whatever else you submit for the Castle. Take care and again thank you.

Jeikor

Arthur,

First my official Castle Roland Administrator line. "We cannot thank you enough for sharing this work with us. This story has had a profound effect on everyone that read it. Your commitment to detail and your unmatched story telling ability has created one if not the very best online story I have read. You have honored us greatly by allowing us to host this story for you."

Now my personal line "Please sir may I have some more." Arthur this has been an amazing adventure you took us all on. Thank you thank you thank you.

RO8M,

Thanks for the memories, mine was the old silver and gold, the plain silver is the new one so you may be able to guess how bloody old I really am, but hey! we build where others destroy.

To answer the ever masterful Moderator; what can I say but I hope this gives you an idea  :wub:

Will there be a book three to answer all the red herrings I have laid? Hmmmm.

Who is the Spy? hehehe take a guess! but it is not who you think it is.

Again my thanks to you all and I hope you like the new story when it is posted some time in the future; as Al knows I like to have a few chapters under my belt before posting as a safety net.

Again thanks to you all.

A

You just don't walk away from these two, high adventure reality journals; of the Kings Drummer Thomas Marking circa 1810; and the Spanish Guerrilla El Toro circa 1814. While historians point to the Russian Front as being the demise of Napoleon, those of us who have read these journals know better. Napoleon fell to the relentless and savage behind-the-lines sabotage and counter-attack of masked marauding guerrilla militia. Arthur has not re-written history, but he has certainly given it articulate and meaningful clarification.

Arthur,

I am and always have been a big fan of historical fiction.  This is one of the best stories I have read.  I would definitely have bought this as a book or two books to read and it is one that I would read more than once.  I have read several books of this period, that were written by well known authors, such as C.S. Forrester or Patrick O'Brien for instance.  It was an enjoyable and hard to put down read whenever a new chapter was posted.  I look forward to any further adventures of Thomas Marking and Company.  Well done.

Eric