Drummer Boy: The Road North

Castle Herald

Aye Tinker Taylor...interesting...in just this one chapter, Thomas has dispatched a young ambassador to conduct diplomacy on both sides of the English Channel; will soon have a navy available with two armed frigates; and, seems to have worked out a supply line between his hidden cove on the Spanish/Portuguese coast and London's maritime shipping center...all told through the eyes of the loyal-to-the-core (and emotionally attached) Morgan kid...you just don't put this story down.

I have to agree with everything that has been said, Yes this chapter is different not only because of the main character of the chapter being someone else but also the pace of the chapter is different then we are used to. I also agree that it is good to get to know this side of Snot, and indeed time wil tell if his part is to become bigger in the story.I too was happy to see that Thomas's family was kept in the loop and i agree that it was very nice of Snot to go down to their cottage to make sure they knew.

Ahhh how i am looking forward to next the next chapter.

I love this chapter, Snot has shown his organisational skills;and how he put down the dimwit marine Corporal,  not the brightest spark i guess, he should have realised anyone wearing uniform whatever there age and riding a fine horse should be treated with caution.  For a aged English guy like myself, the descriptions throughout the story of  the Limehouse and dock area of London, is easy for me to understand the rundown tenements and the general chaotic nature of both areas as even after WWII through to the 1970's the area was still rundown and in a poor state of repair. just the ships were different steel rather than wooden. now  the docks have gone and been replaced with posh apartment s and offices.

While I cannot speak for Arthur, I can say that I thought the last chapter would generate more comments than this one. I'm not trying to dismiss this chapter, as I did think it was essential to bring an end to a couple of dangling plot lines.

The other thing it did was to show the power and authority that the Black Hand in general, and the Morgans in specific, held over much of the corsairs of the day.

The power that they wielded was already pretty obvious atleast to me, I am certain i read somewhere al be it between the lines, before that the Cane given to Thomas already told those in the know that he was pretty much inducted into the Black Hand and was to be given any assistence necessary. Considering the only ones we have seen with that certain cane before Thomas was given his, were Colonel Cruikshank and Old Henry, and the fact that Mister Percy used to sail under Old Henry already told me that the cane symbolised a certain level of authority. That the Morgans were powerfull was demonstrated in other facts, the fact that even the admiralty listened to a degree to Old Henry was just one of the things that showed that they were well respected. Atleast that is my humble opinion. 

Now that Snot is in an administrative position he might be groomed to take over Colonel Cruikshank's role in the future. That being said, I expect him to be stirring up London as shown with the soldier in Portugal very soon. I cannot agree more with R08m4rv's deduction regarding the legality of the Morgan family since they are the only force keeping Thomas afloat after he got tossed to the side at Olivenca. 

I have also noticed a dislike for the common man. Aside from the 'diamond in a haystack' English characters that seek to aid Thomas, most are shown to be boggarts and plain dumb. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Snot's moment of mischief. Its just that the moment any English infantryman sees a foreigner, they start seeing red. Or perhaps all the nice ones stay quiet to watch things unfold.

There is also the matter of "trickle down" English snobbishness... like the marine guard who believes foreigners who are too lazy to learn the King's English (even in their own country) are beneath him... and the dirt-poor, uneducated, unemployed tough boys on the docks who look down on (and abuse) smaller, younger boys. They all seem to look for someone "lower" than they, so they can feel better about their lot.  (all of this is drawn out really well at appropriate points in the story)

"Pint of view"... yes, my view is usually a matter of how many pints I've had.  :-)

I appreciate the reviews of what we read earlier about the Morgans and the Black Hand... I'd forgotten many of those details.. and hadn't bothered (at least yet) to go back and look them up.

I really want to know what was on the list that Snot gave to his Father, I would like to see him taking some more "volunteers" back with him or some really good and powerful rockets. I'm sure that Captain Chou would be able to get the correct type for Thomas to do a lot more damage to the French. I had too many pints when a lot younger. (Whiskey and whisky is the only thing I normally drink now)

( I know Loki and he can be very funny at times too) 

this is great...under his training and planning, this teenage army of Thomas is using cover, concealment, strategic advantage, the element of surprise, the cover of darkness and the weaknesses of human nature to gain a tactical advantage on the battlefield....at this rate, Thomas could have taught tactics at the fledgling West Point.Military Academy.......maybe it turns out he does!...great adventure!

I have to agree to all that has been said, for yes this is a great chapter, It also does show all the important locations, like Snot staying with Thomas parents for a little over a week. Aswell as the first 3 battles of Thomas new battle-plan.

I also loved the fact that the PM is working on Thomas side and it's good to hear that Beresford wil be paying a price for his blatent lies in embellishing his report. I am curious exactly what sanctions wil take place to Beresford.