Hoard of the Dragon Queen Episode 1: Greenest in Flames

Zergrinch

"Thank you, young man," the governor says, extending a hand towards Erwin.

"Linan," he says with a slight grimace as Erwin enthusiastically clasps his hand in an iron grip, "Edelbert should be able to think of ways to leave the keep without going through the front door. If you can take them to the Castellan, they would be able to---"

Nighthill is interrupted by the shouts of a burly, solidly-built mountain dwarf rushing into the roof.

"Yer lordship! We got Intruders wanderin' in the courtyard! Looks like a scouting party - there aren't many of them, but we got ter find out where they came from and seal the breach before we're overrun!"

"Never mind, Linan. Brave warriors, this is Castellan Edelbert the Red."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Castellan leads you to the courtyard where he caught sight of the infiltrators, but they are nowhere in sight.

"Bad sign lads," he tells you, "If they've finished scouting then we've only got a few minutes.  Where could they have come from... the only thing here is..."

An arrow sprouts from the dwarf's chest as he croaks out three words before collapsing to the ground: "the sally port."

Erwin, you mentally trace the trajectory of its origin behind a tree 40 feet away, and briefly catches sight of the archer fleeing into other cover.

Morganor, you notice that the archer is of short stature as s/he ducks behind a boulder.  You also notice a few glints, barely a few feet off the ground, scattered around the aforementioned boulder. 

Erwin:

"This way!" Erwin orders, charging after the murderer.  "Morganor, try to stablize the dwarf!"

Perrin:

Perrin scans the area looking for trouble, crossbow ready to perforate it.  Valor is all well and good, but he's going to stay a few feet behind the fighter charging off to his presumable doom.

Arjan:

Arjan follows Perrin's lead.

Morganor calls out to Erwin's back, "It's a short person so dwarf, halfling or young most likely!" Then kneels down by Edelbert and uses Spare the Dying while keeping his eyes on where Erwin has rushed off.

Garanth tried to aim his longbow but even with darkvision he never could get a good look at the assailant. He followed Erwin at a slight distance in case a shot was possible.

Morganor kneels by the prostrate Castellan, about to stabilize him, when the dwarf's eyes flutter open and brush his hands away.

"Jus' caught me by surprise... is all.  Takes more'n that ter take down Edilbert the Red!"

Heedless of their own safety, Erwin and Garanth charge right after the shooter, only to hear a hissing sound as four figures jump out of the bushes!  

"Take them!" the shooter commands, revealing herself to be a halfling.

Initiative: Garanth, Kobold 2, Kobold 3, Morganor, Halfling, Kobold 1, Arjan, Erwin, Perrin, Kobold 4

Almost immediately, Garanth fires off an arrow, which soars through the air and pierces the throat of the kobold closest to him.  It dies instantly (9 damage).

Incensed, two of its brothers charge Erwin.  While the fighter successfully fends off most of the clumsy attacks, a well-placed lucky strike pierces his defense, and the fighter finds himself with a nasty tear to his metal pants, with a little blood trickling from his leg (4 damage).

Morganor points a finger towards the halfling, and she is engulfed in Bahamut's brilliance for an instant.  The sacred flame scorches her badly (7, bloodied) and she is almost brought to her knees.

"Keep them busy!  I'll release the dragon-dogs!" she shouts out, as the halfling swiftly makes a run towards the sally port to the west of the keep courtyard. (Dash; the halfling is now around 70 feet from the closest party member, Erwin.)

InitiativeArjan, Erwin, Perrin, Kobold 4, Garanth, Kobold 2, Kobold 3, Morganor, Halfling

Arjan:

Arjan steps forward far enough to throw the sleep spell at the runner.  He doesn't know what dragon-dogs are, but he'd rather not fight them right now.

{{ Move: 30 feet forward into sleep range; spell has a base range of 60 feet, plus a radius of 20 -- hopefully that's far enough out to catch the halfling on top of his 30 foot movement rate! }}

{{ Action: Sleep for 29 HP }}

Erwin:

Erwin applies his sword and board technique.

{{ Bonus:  Shove.  Success }}

{{ Action: Attack, 10 vs ac, 11 damage }}

Perrin:

Perrin levels his crossbow and fires.

{{ Action: attack, 12 vs AC, 7 damage }}

Not gonna lie.  I'm starting to dislike Sleep from this end of the table!  But, a spell is a spell :ph34r:

Arjan fires off a draught of sleep magic at the fleeing halfling.  In her weakened state, she immediately succumbs to sleep's embrace and flops on the ground - snoring.

Erwin easily knocks one of the kobolds to the ground, but the wily creature twists out of the way when he brings his longsword down to bear (misses Kobold 2).  

Perrin, however, most certainly did not miss, as he kills the other kobold currently swarming the fighter (Kobold 3 killed).

The kobold who was slow to react now rushes into melee with ferocity, viciously slashing at Erwin's legs.  Its fierce determination punches through the fighter's defense and armor, and punctures a blood vessel (4 damage to Erwin, bloodied)

Shooting a creature as slippery as a kobold is difficult in the best of times; much less at night and when trying to avoid hitting Erwin, who by far presents a much easier target.  The sharp-shooting elf manages magnificently, and the arrow sinks into a kobold's shoulder, severely wounding it. (Kobold 2 takes 4 damage, down to 1 HP).

The pitiable creature reacts in pain, flailing away at Erwin, but not quite managing to hit him.  It did, however, expose itself to Morganor's crossbow bolt, which kills it immediately (Kobold 2 takes 3 damage, dies)

The last remaining kobold looks around, throws its dagger to the ground, and squeaks out, "I surrender!  I surrender!"

Edited by Zergrinch

Ooops...

Perrin:

Perrin goes and ties up the sleeping beauty.

Erwin:

Once the snorer is securely tied, Erwin gestures towards the sally port.  "Alright, why don't you show us these dragon dogs," he suggests.  "And don't make any swift movements I might not like.  I've killed plenty of Kobold's already today."

Edelbert shakily gets to his feet, slightly puzzled at the strange location for the intended ambush.  "That sally port's sealed and has been unused since I was a wee bairn," he says, frowning. "Why would they set up an ambush there?"

While binding up the halfling, she awakes with a start.  Her magically-induced grogginess prevented her from putting up too much of a struggle, and Perrin soon has her trussed up tightly.  "Looks like you've got me, big boy." she says morosely, looking at the ground.  Then, looking directly at his eyes, she winks and says, "How's about you let me go?  I'll make it worth your while ♥."

The kobold finishes divesting itself of all concealed weapons (another dagger, plus a sling with 20 stones) and meekly looks at the giant human.  "I g-go now?"

Erwin:

"Perhaps it's no longer sealed," he suggests to the man.

Perrin:

Perrin smiles and leans close to the woman.  "Worth my while, huh?"  He smiles as he leans fractionally closer.  "Perhaps I should consider that," he says even more softly.  "Yes, I could see where this would be quite worth my while."  He slams his fist into the side of her head as he steps back.  "My pops taught me never to hit a lady," he comments.  "Thank you for cleanly taking yourself out of that category."

Edelbert's eyes harden.  "We've got ter check it out immediately!"

--@--

Perrin pimpslaps the halfling woman, who, most cooperatively, keeled over without further comment like a limp sack of potatoes (K.O.)

--@--

The kobold skitters slowly towards the sally port, afraid that every step it takes will be its last.

Marching order, please.

As everyone approaches the sally port at full speed, with the kobold leading in front, the most observant among you can hear a faint rustling inside the building.  There is a rattling of chains right after the kobold steps inside and declares, perhaps a little too loudly, "Here's where we were gonna release the dragon-dogs!"

Edited by Zergrinch

The kobold suddenly twists out of the way (disengage) and rushes forward, just as Erwin hears a peculiar snarling - one he has heard before earlier tonight.  Except, now there are at least three of them - all charging towards him!

From a short distance away, Erwin can see another halfling, also wearing a purple cloak like the one Perrin captured.

Initiative: Garanth, Ambush Drake 2, Arjan, Ambush Drake 1, Perrin, Erwin, Ambush Drake 3, Bandit, Morganor, Kobold