Princes of the Apocalypse (Chapter 1)

Rilbur

{{  DM note:  Ignaciden must choose a child to grab first. }}

Myles and the rest of the party, as if by the whim of some lunatic god, all manage to reach the site of the incident at the same time.  Unfortunately, as they approach, they are blocked by a large, burly man.  "Stay back!" he orders harshly.  "You will not anger the Delvers by approaching further!"

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What's going on here?" Zerris ejaculates after arriving at the scene.  Quickly sizing up the situation, the druid extends his hand, and a vine shoots out to snag one of the children and pull them out of the pit.

Thorn whip is supposed to inflict 1d6 damage, but I am hoping Zerris gets to use the cantrip without the intent to harm.

Zozo.png

Beats me.  I just got here.  Hey, priest man.  I think I see a place where you can shift the wagon's weight so we don't crush whoever's pinned under it... some more.

Cast

Guidance on Orsik.  For the next minute, Orsik can add a d4 to any ability check of his own choice.  

I'm casting guidance on Orsik instead of Myles who has training in Athletics, because Orsik can't cast it on himself.  We'll need more than one person to do this, so...

Zozo.png

Delvers?  Who the hell are they?

Zerris:  You can't bypass the damage component on the cantrip.  Also, the pit is more than 10 feet deep and you can't get close to it without dealing with the individual blocking you.

Ignaciden:  While it was a valiant effort, it turns out that it's more difficult than you thought to carry an uncooperative child up the rope without any support.  You get all of five feet before falling, but manage to avoid hurting yourself or the child any further in the fall.

======

"The Delvers are a private concern.  Turn back.  We shall deal with this situation ourselves," the large man orders roughly.

Zozo.png

Be right back!  Gonna get my horse!

The warlock takes off to grab his pack horse.  If he can secure a rope to the animal, he's fairly certain it can pull the children out really easily.

-----

Zerris gives a snort, and takes out a grappling hook.  He looks for a solid object to anchor the hook to.

Zerris easily finds something to anchor a grappling hook to.

Orsik, on the other hand, walks over to the rope and takes it in hand.  Using it as a safety line, he walks out towards the edge of the pit.  "Wrap the kid in a lasso, and I'll pull him up!" he shouts.

Ignaciden grabs the end of the rope and finally manages to tie it around the three year old's waist then sits down on a rock to catch his breath.

Myles can see that Ignaciden is running out of steam so he slides/climbs down to help him with the other child.

Myles, by the time you get down to the bottom of the pit, the second child has vanished, leaving only the one pinned under the cart to help.

Ignaciden and Myles, between the two of them, are able to get the child lifted to the edge of the pit.  As the kid starts scrabbling at the dirt, it crumbles away under his head, falling in a soft brown rain to the floor below.  His mother screeches and tries to run forward, only to be restrained by two of the other villagers as he 'falls' back into the pit.

But the rope is held firm, andbetween them Orsik and Zerris manage to pull him onto solid ground.  He runs straight for his mother, and is quickly released from the lasso.  Orsik, again carefully using the rope as a safety line, approaches the pit and tosses the end of it down.

Zozo.png

I'm back!  I'll tie one end of this rope to the horse.  You guys tie the other end to the axle, and I'll move the horse a bit!  That should raise the wagon enough for you to pull out the brat!

Use horse to mechanically aid Myles in his attempt to lift the cart, hopefully giving him advantage in his strength check.

{{ Myles rolls 9+5 = 14 on athletics }}

Despite his best efforts, Myles is unable to lift the cart enough to reach under it.  The cart shifts only slightly, but as if in consolation, the child is able to pull their arm out from under the edge.

Zerris glances around, and realizes that while he was distracted, the third child had indulged in the magic of unobserved children everywhere to move faster than should be humanly possible.  {{ He was walking into the tunnel, and since no one grabbed him, he probably entered it }}

Zozo tosses the rope down, but realizes the idea may not work as well as he'd hoped.  The pit is thirty feet deep, and nearly forty feet across, with the wagon in the middle of the revealed room.  The horse is more likely to drag the wagon sideways rather than pull it upwards.

Zerris hollers to Ignaciden about the missing child, instructing them to look for him.  The druid gingerly climbs down the rope attached to his grappling hook, all the while combat-shifting into his brown bear form.  Upon reaching the base, he attempts to assist in hoisting the wagon, using his incredible beastly strength.

Zerris the Brown Bear: AC11, HP 34, Speed 40, Climb 30

Strength 19 (+4) Dexterity 10 (+0) Constitution 16 (+3) Intelligence 14 (+2) Wisdom 16 (+3) Charisma 8 (-1)

Passive Perception 20; Advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.

Strength Check to lift wagon: 21.

Zozo.png

Well damn, I'm fresh out of ideas. Hey Zerris, you goin' down, man?  Okay, let me give you a little boost.  You don't have to lift the whole thing, just enough so they can pull out the boy.  We're counting on you man!

Guidance on Zerris' next ability check.  The boost increases his previous strength check by

3 for a total of 24.

"Hey, Zozo! Can you toss down my crossbow and bolts?" After acquiring them Ignaciden fits a bolt into place and heads up the tunnel far enough for his darkvision to kick in but keeping the others in sight. He peers up the tunnel hoping to spot the other child.

Myles moves aside for Zerris' bear form, glances at Ignaciden then gets ready to pull the child out if/when the cart is lifted.

Myles lays the child down gently and checks it for injuries.

Ignaciden quietly moves closer to the child then using as gentle a voice as he knows how calls to the child.

"Come to me, little one. We got one of you to the surface and I can see they've freed the one that was trapped. Let us help. If you can't find me then be still and I will come to you."

Ig continues to move toward the child and makes sure he keeps Myles and Zerris in sight as he is talking.

Looking back at Myles once more Ignaciden decides to take a chance. Slinging the crossbow onto his back he rushes to the child scooping him up from behind and whispers comforting words in his ear as he attempts to get back down the tunnel to Myles and Zerris.