Spider

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Multimapper stories can now be found at MultiMapper]

NEW STORY

Chapter 1 found at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/multimapper

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Excellent story, Multimapper!

The reason I started reading this story is because of a comment you made in the "Holiday Handoff" thread about this being a sort of spin-off from that one.  I started reading this one a few days later, but promptly forgot your words.  I didn't make the connection with Ben Stone's name until Wil was introduced in this chapter.  Then it all came back to me.  Hey, I'm old.  I forget things!  After figuring it out, I had to go back and read the relevant chapters in HH.  I can tell by what I read there, that we have a LOT of story to go before we get to the Christmas described in HH.

I am truly looking forward to the journey that you'll take us on to get to that point!  Thanks, and I am eagerly awaiting more, soon!

I've been focusing a lot of time to another story, so I haven't been able to write any new chapters recently.

But the good news is that I'm just about to a good breaking point in the project that I've been working on.

I can't make any promises about what I'm going to be writing next, but I should be able to get some new things going soon.

JD is making progress!  I think as he continues to gain confidence in the stability that Cliff and Ben offer him, he'll continue to make even more.  In the past, I think, he felt he had no reason to speak as nothing he said made any difference in his life.  He's starting to realize that his new foster parents are astronomically different than anything he's known in the past.  I'm hoping he'll be talking soon.

I think in my mind, knowing that JD could speak, I imagined so many different scenarios where we would "hear" his voice for the first time.  I've got to admit, that seeing his mother again was not one of the scenarios that played out in my head. 

Speaking to Ben, and then to Cliff is more what I had envisioned, and both of those left me openly weeping.  Hey!  I'm a sucker for victories of sorts, no matter how small.  Excellent job, MM!  I hope when you reach that stopping point you mentioned earlier that this will get some of your attention.  I'm thoroughly hooked on this one now!

JD walked a few steps, then stopped. He looked up at Leo and locked eyes with him before saying, "You're a dick."

That made this whole emotionally tough chapter easier...and made me laugh out loud!

I think JD is going to be good for Jody.  Actually, they may both be good for each other.

Thanks for this chapter.

I was thrilled to see chapter nine of this story!  I hunted around and found that the first eight chapters had been posted over at AC's corner but it had been years since those were posted.  I don't know if chapter nine is new or just hadn't been posted anywhere, but I was really glad to see it. 

I love how you can write a story that is emotionally heart wrenching, but manage to inject a few lines that just make the reader stop and laugh for a minute.  This is a perfect example:

"Go ahead and change the channel, this isn't actually a show, it's a half-hour long commercial for a washcloth." Cliff said frankly.

"Why is that guy screaming?" Jody asked timidly.

"Because he wants you to buy his washcloth." Cliff said honestly.

"If you buy it, will he be quiet?" Jody asked hopefully.

"No, he'll keep screaming so you'll buy more. Go ahead and change the channel." Cliff said with a loving smile at his newest son.

That cracked my up!

I also loved the exchange where Ben is trying to get a scared JD to help him make some snacks for the police detective coming over to see Jody.

Ben nodded, then asked, "JD, would you like to help me fix something for our company?"

After a moment of thought, JD quietly asked, "What do they eat?"

Ben chuckled at the question, then encouraged JD to walk with him out of the living room.

I can just imagine JD's thoughts.  Puppies?  Small children?

Thanks for another great chapter.  I hope chapter ten isn't too far away.

Other sites will either host or link to my stories, but we don't coordinate our update schedules so there are times that I post new chapters on my sites and those updates aren't reflected elsewhere.

To find the most recent updates for any of my stories EXCEPT Metamorphosis, you can check my sites at www.bentandtwisted.us and brokenbard.com. Both sites have exactly the same content, one is a dark text on light screen layout and the other is light text on dark, they're also formatted differently in the way that they navigate, so that depending on the device you use, one might navigate more easily than the other for you.

Metamorphosis is hosted exclusively at Castle Roland, you can scoot up to the top of this page and click the "Castle Roland Stories" link to view all the chapters of that story.