Hoard of the Dragon Queen Episode 0: Journey to Greenest

Zergrinch

ROLLS

PERRIN
> Vicious Mockery succeeds!  4 damage to wolf.

GOBLIN 3
> Readies an Action

GARANTH
Bless Garanth's attack: [1d4] = 2 HIT! Goblin 3 takes 9 damage and dies.

=== Readied Actions Trigger: Attack anyone who attacks goblin ===

GOBLIN 6

YEEMIK

GOBLIN 2

GOBLIN 1

=== End of Readied Actions ===

WOLF

GOBLIN 5

ARJAN
> Frostbite vs Wolf succeeds! 1 damage.

ERWIN

GOBLIN 6

YEEMIK

GOBLIN 2

GOBLIN 1

MORGANOR

While Perrin more or less respects the offer of truce, Garanth rebuffs it by immediately sticking an arrow at the goblin he targeted before.  His actions are met with a howl of disapproval from all the goblins.  The elf is greeted with a veritable fusillade of projectiles.  Miraculously, only a couple of arrows managed to wound him!

The wolf springs into action, and moves full speed towards its fallen master.  It snaps at the dragonborn, trying to get him out of the way, but the psychic damage from Perrin's vicious mockery must have dulled the creature's reflexes, as its bite glances off a dragon scale.  The sorcerer retaliates with a blast of frost, but the wolf, although affected, scarcely seemed to have felt it.

Trusting the others to take care of the wolf, Erwin steps forward to support Morganor by yanking a javelin from the Half-Ogre's body and throwing it at the goblin that hurt Garanth.   The creature's nimbleness allows it to escape at the last minute!

Although the goblins stayed long enough to launch another flurry of arrows at Garanth (all of which miss), it suddenly dawned upon them that there is five of them and five of the humans - and equal numbers are bad for goblins.  Morganor unleashes radiant flame on the retreating goblin leader, but Yeemik is too fast.

Turn: Perrin, Garanth, Wolf (disadvantage), Goblin 5, Arjan, Erwin, Goblin 6, Yeemik, Goblin 2, Goblin 1, Morganor

DM Notes:
- It is now your turn!
- Garanth!  You are so lucky.  So very, very lucky!
- Consult the map for positions.  Once the goblins are off the map to the left, they have escaped.

Erwin:

Goblins, goblins everywhere, and plenty a heam to cleave...  Erwin lays out with his preferred sword & board technique yet again.

{{ Bonus Action: Shove, 17 vs 6 before modifiers }}

{{ Action:  Attack, to-hit 23 for 9 damage }}

Arjhan:

Not happy with the wolf in his face, Arjhan lays into it with his daggers.

{{ Action:  Attack, to-hit 10, damage 4 }}

{{ Bonus: Off-Hand Attack, to-hit 18, damage 1 }}

Perrin:

Not to be outdone, Perrin lets loose a string of insults.

PERRIN

GARANTH (DISADVANTAGE; shooting while an enemy is 5 feet away)

WOLF (DISADVANTAGE; Frostbite)

GOBLIN 5

ARJAN
HIT with off-hand attack!  1 damage.

ERWIN
Outright kills Goblin 6.

YEEMIK
Double-move; escapes.

GOBLIN 2
Double-move; escapes

GOBLIN 1
Moves out of sight; escapes

MORGANOR

===NEXT ROUND===

PERRIN

GARANTH

WOLF (DISADVANTAGE; Vicious Mockery)

ARJAN

As soon as the goblins started to think about retreating, it was practically over for them.  Only three goblins escaped; Erwin disembowels a goblin with his shield maneuver, while Morganor incinerates another with his sacred flame.  Even the wolf's fate was a foregone conclusion - it manages to gravely wound Arjan despite being hampered by frostbite, but eventually the dragonborn had his revenge after he angles away from Garanth and unleashes a gout of flame that melts the poor creature's nose.

The battle is over!  Everyone receives 135 experience!

The dead goblins have nothing of note other than their crude weapons, but Klarg and the orcs are an entirely different story.

Their armaments consist of
  • Half-Ogre: A battleaxe, five javelins, and hide armor.  The battleaxe is too heavy for a human.
  • Orcs: Two greataxes, ten javelins, and a couple of polished plate armor specifically sized for orcs.  The armor would take a considerable amount of work to resize: 800 gold for Erwin, 900 gold for Garanth, and 1,000 gold for Morganor.
  • Klarg: A morningstar, three javelins, hide armor, and a wooden shield.
One of the orcs holds a pouch containing 12 gold and 10 silver in its belt pouch.  

The other orc holds 1 platinum, 1 gold, 5 silver, and 7 copper

The half-ogre has nothing of value, but a closer examination reveals a diamond stuck to its mouth (can sell for 50 gold) that it uses as a tooth.

Klarg has no coin, but his pocket contains 3 hematites (can sell for 10 gold).

Klarg's wolf has nothing of value.

• 4 weeks later...
After taking a breather, the party scavenged what it could, and quickly made haste towards its destination.  Klarg and his goblins have been eliminated as a threat, but there's no telling what the orcs might do.  Erwin has an inkling that another confrontation wouldn't be quite as pleasant as when the goblins and orcs got into a three-way battle.

Fortunately, the rest of the journey proved uneventful, with not as much as a single goblin, bear, or wasp encountered.  It is two hours past dawn when the entourage arrives at the city of Greenest.  Leosin thanks everyone profusely for the assistance, and before he leaves, he enters into a personal conversation with Morganor.

"Brother," the monk said, "May the light of the great Bahamut protect you and your caravan from what is to come.  It is as you say, that the Dragon Cult bears no love for our lord, and yet, that is where my research will take me.  I know not what they have planned, but it is surely up to no good.  I want you to have this - keep it safe for me, when... if we meet again."

The half-elf presses something wrapped in cloth into Morganor's hand as he withdraws into the city.  Morganor unbundles it to see a slightly-bent crossbow, as well as the monk's pendant, which bears the symbol of Bahamut.

"All right," the Caravan-Master announces, "We're finally here!  I doubt we'll need protection while in the city, so you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want.  I will restock and arrange for accommodations - everyone should assemble at the pub upon sundown. I'm sure you'll want to have some spending money, so here's your pay for services already rendered, plus a little hazard pay.  I didn't quite think we'd run into what we saw back there, and I'd say you earned every single coin!"

The Caravan-Master deposits a large pouch of coin with Erwin.  The pouch contains 70 gold pieces, which he reckons was more than the agreed-upon rate of 15 silver pieces per day.

Greenest is not exactly well-defined, but it should have all the amenities one might expect of a major hub in a major thoroughfare.  The stores will have everything that is detailed in the Player's Handbook.  The merchants are perfectly willing to buy your jewelry, pelts, and weapons.  But since the plate armor bears the insignia of the Orcs who are a known quantity here, it will be impossible to sell (or resize) in Greenest.

Do whatever you like, except you should ideally be together in the pub at sunset.

My next post will be a new thread for Chapter 1.  I will be posting outside the PBP forum (under Fun & Games) so visitors can also read up on it.