Hoard of the Dragon Queen Episode 0: Journey to Greenest

Zergrinch

Arjan:

Arjan dives out of the wagon, daggers flashing as he slashes one bear to death then immediately moves on to the next.

{{ Action:  Attack, 4 damage (lethal). }}

{{ Move: to engage next bear }}

{{ Bonus Action:  Off-hand attack, 4 damage }}

Perrin:

Perrin follows Arjan's example, leaving his crossbow behind to attack with rapier and dagger flashing.

{{ Action:  Attack, miss }}

{{ Bonus Action:  Attack, crit, 6 damage }}

Erwin:

Having already tossed his light crossbow carefully into the wagon, Erwin lashes out with his favorite sword and shield technique.

{{ Bonus Action: Shove, fail }}

{{ Action:  Attack, hit for 5 damage}}

Morganor raises his shield in place and swings his war hammer at the bear's shoulder.

{OOC: Garanth will be using his Protection ability with the shield throughout (reminder). Also am writing an if/then action.}

(If Arjan's attack did NOT kill the bear) Garanth stabs at the closest vulnerable spot.

(If Arjan's attack DID kill the bear) Garanth turns toward the other bear and if in range he stabs at it with his sword.

ROLLS

ARJAN
4 damage to Bear 3; Bear 3 dies.

MORGANOR

GARANTH
Shortsword: Hit: [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25. Damage [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 Crit [1d6] = 5..  CRITICAL HIT!  14 damage to Bear 4; Bear 4 dies.

The Bears charge, but the party was more than ready this time!  Arjan finishes off the badly-injured Bear with his dagger.  As Morganor's warhammer lands on the Bear's shoulder with a satisfying CRUNCH!, Garanth rushes over and stabs the animal in the cerebellum.  Death is instantaneous.

Only after the Bears stop moving did the sharp-eyed cleric notice a bear cub moving over to one of the downed bears.  It nuzzles the bear's head, and tries to nurse from its teat.

DM NOTES:

The party can now act in whatever way they please.  

The encounter is over!  You have received 40 XP each for the first 2 bears, and 65 XP each for the second 4 bears (Leosin takes a cut).  Notify me when your XP total reaches 300.   :)

Erwin:

The tired fighter sags again. "Someone needs to skin those bears, their hides are worth cash.  We can take the meat to extend our rations.  Bear is tasty eating."

"I'd help, but I'm so tired I'm seeing double," the fighter reluctantly admitted.

Garanth and Morganor confer in hushed tones then Garanth turns to Erwin and the others. "Morganor thinks he knows how to skin the bears and will teach me and Arjan, if he will (looks at Arjan). That might get us three pelts to sell and we can try to do the others in the morning. Erwin, sir, you ought to go on to bed to rest and heal. If Perrin will keep watch while we work on the bears and give me time for a short rest I can watch the rest of the night. Everyone else needs rest time to renew casting abilities; I don't."

Morganor nods his agreement as Garanth speaks then adds, "I'm in agreement with this plan. I think it gives us our best chance to be ready to face another day like this one."

Erwin:

Erwin looks at Garanth with approval.  "Good plan.  Lets do it."  {{ OOC:  Interesting that the fighter's first level abilities all restore with a short rest... and convienient!  We need to take more of them!  :D }}

Arjan:

Arjan looks at the corpses with distaste, but doesn't demure from the request.  Ugly and nasty or not, it was still going to be coin in the pocket, and meat in the belly when they were done.

Perrin:

Perrin nodded and began cleaning and maintaining his weapons, keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding forest.

ROLLS

Skinning a bear is tedious, although not heavy work by any stretch of the imagination.  Leosin agrees to help keep watch as Morganor, Garanth, and Arjan work on skinning.  The rest of the night proceeds uneventfully, although ultimately the three broke off their skinning work to totally refresh their bodies.  

A new day begins, and the caravan is a bustle of activity as breakfast is prepared.  Erwin has shrugged off the exertions of the previous day, although his wounds still ache somewhat.  The bear cub is still lying next to its dead mother, vainly trying to awaken her.

Finally, the skinning is done.  Arjan did an absolutely terrible job, rendering the pelt completely worthless.  Morganor slipped up now and then, but it was the Elf that truly produced excellent work! 

Suddenly, a faint rustling can be heard.  Momentarily, a goblin steps out into the clearing.  It is waving a white flag.  

No weapons!” it says, indicating that it is currently unarmed.  “Wants to talks!”  It casts its eye on the bear corpses that now litter the entrance to the clearing, and shakes its head.  These humans have slaughtered the same sleuth of bears that have saddled its tribe with its recent troubles – in a single night – and all of them are still alive!  What monsters these humans are!

Erwin recognizes the goblin as Nugmark, the juvenile goblin he so recently spared.

DM NOTES:

Raised DC by 1 since you had to break off for rest.  Morganor, you can now re-pick four of your Level 1 Cleric Spells to prepare.  Since Burning Hands and Faerie Fire are domain spells, they are automatically prepared for you.

Erwin:

"I recognize your flag of truce," Erwin announced.  "Abide by the truce and so shall we."

Walking forward he glared at the goblin.  "What the hell do you want?"

Perrin:

Perrin found the entire situation somewhere between incredible and hilarious.  On the one hand, he found it hard to believe his eyes.  On the other, the idea that a goblin would know what a flag of truce meant -- and trust them to follow it -- just tickled his funny bone.  Goblins just didn't think or behave that way.

Perrin blinked at the thought, then leaned forward.  Goblins don't behave that way!  So...

{{ Action:  thoroughly examine the goblin with an eye towards detecting any sign he isn't a goblin. }}

Arjan:

Arjan growned, leaning forward and scanning the forest for any sign of trickery.  He didn't trust the goblin.  He just didn't.

{{ Action: Look for trouble -- ambushers using the flag-carrier as a distraction in particular, but not fixating on that }}

Garanth went on alert when he heard Erwin and readied his longbow. He was trying to look all around when Morganor whispered to him.

"I've got this direction; you can concentrate that way. Arjan and Perrin are both on alert as well."

{[ Both scanning surrounding area for signs of another ambush. ]}

ROLLS

Perrin: Investigation: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18

PERCEPTION: Arjan [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13 Garanth [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 Morganor [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17

We talks in native tongues, yes? Easier for me.

Switching to Goblin, Nugmark begins to talk.

I come take you through Cragmaw territory, and avoid all difficulty. It will take day’s journey. In return, I ask for animal over there,” Nugmark says, pointing to the biggest unskinned dead bear in the pile. "And also the young, for our tribute,” he adds with a bitter tone of disgust while glancing at the cub.

"And forgot yesterday. This yours." Nugmark says as he reaches into a pocket, pulls out Erwin's belt pouch, and tosses it at the fighter's feet.

Nugmark looks at Erwin expectantly. "Do we have deal?"

Arjan, Garanth, and Morganor scan the surrounding area for signs of ambush, but there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

Perrin gives the "goblin" a thorough examination, but sometimes, a goblin is just a goblin, even if it is acting uncharacteristically for its kind.

DM NOTES:

Yeah, the Fighter's abilities refresh on a short rest. Just like the Warlock's pact slots, the Monk's ki points, and the Druid's wild shape. Wizard's way of solving the

Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards problem. Casters can make spectacular novas a few times each day, but Fighters are just always ready to go!

Erwin:

Erwin frowned, thinking, then nodded.  "Let me talk to the caravan master before I commit, but I believe we will take your deal."  He reached down and scooped up the money pouch and ordered over his shoulder, "stay where you are.  I will be back shortly."  Turning, he checked the contents of the pouch as he told everyone what the goblin's offer was.

ROLLS

Nugmark's Animal Handling: [1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19

Erwin counts the contents of the pouch.  Other than bearing the odor of a goblin, everything seems to be in order - all his coins are still intact.

The dwarf raises an eyebrow and looked extremely skeptical of Erwin's proposal, but doesn't summarily reject it.  "Lad, you're in charge of security. If you think we're better off, then go for it.  If not, then we don't."

Nugmark nods, and approaches the bear cub.  The goblin crouches and beckons the little cub to come.  Though wary at first, the cub eventually approaches.  The goblin has a wistful look on his face as he strokes the animal, and it snuggles in his arms.

While Garanth is admiring his fresh new pelt, the resident leatherworker approaches him with a proposition.  "That's an absolute beauty there, mate," the human says. "What do you say you give me those two pelts," pointing to the work of Morganor as well, "And I'll craft you some armor.  You'll have to chip in for other materials, but labor's free."

DM Notes

You have a choice between:

• Two Hide Armor (AC 12 + DEX mod, max of 2), free of charge, can be finished in 8 hours; or
  • One Studded Leather Armor (AC 12 + DEX mod), at a discounted price of 25 gold pieces, needs 36 hours to craft.

Garanth sighed as he ran his hand over the pelt one more time. "I would love to have some studded leather armor but I don't think I can afford it. Besides the pelts should be sold and the money shared. All the guards and even Leosin helped defeat the bears."

"I prefer my scale armor but thanks for the offer." Morganor answers. After a moment of pulling on his beard Morganor suggests, "Gar, why don't try to do another pelt maybe you can trade it to get the armor you want. It's probably going to be harder to do now but worth a try I think."

Morganor has also been watching Nugmark with the cub and realizes this goblin is not like others and that he would like to keep the cub for himself. It has him pulling on his beard again in thought.

Erwin:

Erwin sighs.  As much as he might like to get involved in goblin politics... Wait, no, he didn't want to get involved.  Because it was a bad idea, and almost certainly a futile waste of time.  As Perrin had pointed out, any change he could manage would at best be a short-term solution with all the permanence of a a trench dug in the sand of a beach.  It might hold today, but tomorrow the tide would claim it.  Or if not tomorrow, the day after.

"We'll take the deal," Erwin agrees.  "But be warned, any trace of treachery will be met with our steel."

Perrin:

Perrin walks over to Garanth and rests his hand on his shoulder.  "I'll loan you the cash for the armor if you want," he says softly.  "Especially if you'll let me have it when you upgrade to something better."

Nugmark beams at the human.  "Very good!  I comes back with many goblins.  I and two others will come with you, so we need weapons for going back.  Other goblins will come to take big animal."

In a moment, the goblin disappears with the cub into the brush. 

DM NOTES

The goblins arrive in the next update, chronologically set about 15 minutes after this interaction.  You can roleplay all you want, or do whatever you wish during that time span.

Fifteen minutes later, Nugmark returns with a full coterie.  The caravan guards recognize the two sniper goblins flanking him; Nugmark and the snipers are all armed with scimitars and shortbows.  Ten other goblins, all unarmed, scurry to the dead bear, and begin dragging it towards the brush.  

Nugmark strides forward towards the fighter, and hands him a cloth with a crude symbol of goblin fangs festooned upon it.  "Is symbol of Cragmaw.  Put it over your cart to let Cragmaw goblins know not to attack."

The goblin watches the caravan crew get into high gear and prepare to depart.  "I also have question for you: how you wish to travel?  Through the trail, or through shortcut?  Trail takes us 1 moon and 1 sun.  Shortcut, you reach end of Cragmaw lands by sundown.  Trail has less chance of big animal attack, but better chance of Madhunters or raiders entering Cragmaw land and attacking you.  Cragmaw symbol will not stop them."

DM Notes:

We're going to go through another travel montage in a bit.  Finalize what you want to do before departure (e.g. drag a bear corpse into the wagon and skin it -- note that if you skin on "company time", the caravanmaster will expect a cut.).

Garanth pauses in thought then looks at Perrin and the leatherworker. "Can I have a little time to think about it?"  Garanth really would like better armor but he was always taught to not go in debt. He shook his head then got ready to travel again and waited to see where Erwin wanted him.

Morganor watched the exchange between Perrin and Garanth and barely caught Gar's answer. Morganor smiled to himself; the exuberant young elf actually has a good head on his shoulder. He too turned and readied himself to travel again.

The leatherworker looks a little disappointed, but he reassures Garanth that he can take all the time he needs to come to a decision.

The caravan gets under way, with more than a little awkwardness at the prospect of having goblins accompany the group.  Still, the caravanmaster maintains his professionalism, and soon has the convoy travelling at speed.

The morning passes uneventfully, until Nugmark shrieks a word of warning.  A loud buzzing that the guards have hitherto dismissed as background noise has steadily grown louder, until a veritable swarm of giant wasps attack!

ROLLS

Wasp A [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 
Wasp B [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 
Wasp C [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11 
Wasp D [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15
Leosin [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10
Morganor [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8
Erwin [1d20] = 4 
Perrin [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12

The two goblins, fully aware that they are the targets for the wasps, quickly take cover in the wagons.  Nugmark doesn't quite follow them, although he dives behind the fighter - just in time too, as one of the wasps dive-bombs towards it, but ends up piercing Erwin instead!

ORDER: Garanth [10/10], Arjan [9/9], Wasp D [?], Wasp A [?], Perrin [11/11], Wasp C [?], Leosin [15/15], Morganor [12/12], Nugmark [7/7], Erwin [7/12], Wasp B [?]

DM Notes

Only Wasp B is in Melee range.  Wasp A is 30 feet above you, Wasp C is 35 feet above, and Wasp D is 40 feet above.  You can see more wasps in the distance.

Arjan:

Arjan jumps into the fight, twin daggers flashing as he attacks.

{{ Action:  Attack, to-hit 9 (miss), damage 5 }}

{{ Bonus Action: Attack, to-hit 18 (hit), damage 1 }}

{{ Note: If Garanth manages to one-hit kill the one in melee range, just frostbite another one. }}

Perrin:

Perrin swears viciously at the wasps.

{{ Action: Vicious Mockery, damage 3 && imposes disadvantage }}

Erwin:

As if there could be any doubt about Erwin's actions.    Erwin draws his sword and lays out his attacks on the nearest wasp.

{{ Bonus Action:  Shield Shove of 10 ( + 3) = 13 vs 11 (+ 0) = 11, wasp knocked prone }}

{{ Action: Sword Attack, attack of 16 for 11 damage  }}

Garanth tries to hit the nearest wasp with his sword.

Morganor sees the others go for the nearest wasp and decides to use his crossbow at the next nearest Wasp(A,C or D depending on what others do). Then he heads to the front of the caravan where Erwin is.

ROLLS

GARANTH

WASP D

WASP A

WASP C

LEOSIN

MORGANOR

NUGMARK

Garanth fires a crossbow bolt at the wasp menacing poor Erwin.  Alas, in his haste he completely missed, and instead the bolt hits Erwin's shield with a loud CLANG!

Arjan takes out his daggers and moves to swipe at the wasp close by.  He misses with his main hand, but manages to nick the creature with the offhand strike.

The most distant wasp swoops down, and barrels into Erwin.  The fighter fortuitously ducks at the last minute!

Meanwhile, another wasp divebombs what it perceives as the least well-protected of all the guards - Perrin, the leather-wearing half-elf!  Unlike Erwin, his armor offers no significant purchase against the creature's venom, and the bard is greviously wounded!

"!@$!@%!@!@#$!@# YOU!" Perrin yelled at the wasp that punctured his armor.  The sheer murderousness of his emotions take a psychic toll on the insect.

The final wasp attacks Garanth, but it was way off target - the stinger instead penetrates the wagon itself, coating the surrounding area in venom.

Leosin quickly reacts by shooting a crossbow quarrel at the nearest wasp ©.  

Morganor reacts as well; he shoots and hits the wasp closest to him (A).

Nugmark glares at the two wasps that had come for him.  He suddenly lunges at the wasp adjacent to him, and deals respectable damage.

Erwin continues doing what he does best; he bashes the wasp out of the sky, and finishes it off with a sword lunge into its soft underbelly.

ORDER: Garanth [12/12], Arjan [9/9], Wasp D [8/13], Wasp A [8/13] DIS, Perrin [1/11], Wasp C [9/13], Leosin [15/15], Morganor [12/12], Nugmark [7/7], Erwin [12/12]

DM NOTES:
  1. Erwin, Nugmark, and Arjan are in the lead wagon.  Wasp D is adjacent to Erwin and Nugmark.  The corpse of Wasp B is also here.
  2. Garanth, Leosin, and a hiding goblin are in the middle wagon.  Wasp C is adjacent to Garanth.
  3. Morganor, Perrin, and a hiding goblin are in the trailing wagon.  Wasp A is adjacent to Perrin.

Arjan:

Arjan once again slashes in with his blades, hoping this time to do something useful.

{{ Action: Attack, to-hit 15, damage 4 }}

{{ Bonus Action:  Off-hand attack, to-hit 22, damage 3 }}

Perrin:

Perrin unleashes another string of magical insults at the annoying nuisance buzzing around his head.

{{ Action: Vicious Mockery for 3 damage }}

{{ OOC:  Dangit, should have grabbed cure wounds to go with healing word...  Healing word is just too weak to be effective here }}

Erwin:

Erwin, as usual, uses his sword and shield in tandem to swat at the nasty giant flying ugly things.  "Bugs," he mutters.  "Why did it have to be bugs."

{{ If: no enemies in melee range, move to find an enemy }}

{{ Bonus Action: Shove, 11 + 3 vs 7 -- success }}

{{ Action: Attack, to-hit 16, damage 4 }}