Hoard of the Dragon Queen Episode 0: Journey to Greenest

Zergrinch

Erwin:

Erwin sighs, then continues in Goblin.  "I understand your desire to protect your families.  I'm not interested in the location of your damned home!  I'm wanting a decent excuse to let you go other than your home.  If I wanted your home, I could follow your tracks straight to it.  Unless you don't give me something to spare your lives, your father is safe from me.  Otherwise..."  Erwin holds his hand out as if holding water, then slowly tips it sideways, opening his fingers as he rotated his wrist.

The goblins' eyes open in shock as the human starts talking in their language.  The heavily-injured goblin keeps shaking its head, but slumps forward after its wounds finally got the best of it.  

One of the sniper goblins speaks up (in Goblin) in an attempt to save himself.

"Madhunters claim lands a day away from here as hunting ground.  They are mean tribe lead by a bugbear with pet wolf.  Bully and laugh at Cragmaw.  These woods are Cragmaw lands.  Used to be safe, but now hungry animals with big teeth come out at night.  Kill many goblins, including Nugmark's brother. Now Nugmark only chief son left."

Erwin:

Erwin sighs and walks away to report to the caravan master.  "Thanks for standing watch," he tells Garanth as he walks past.  "Let me know if you see anything.  We're at our most vulnerable while stopped."

"Sir," Erwin finds the caravan master, "the goblins don't know anything of use.  Another tribe is applying pressure to them, and reading between the lines I think they're stepping up their raids on caravans as the only way to survive.  We could trim these goblins back, but that would just leave the other tribe in an even stronger position.  And however nasty the stepped up raids are, I'd rather not have a goblin clan controlling two separate trade routes."

"These goblins won't betray their tribe, so I can't guarantee there aren't any additional ambushes set up.  We may be able to buy leniency for our caravan as far as other ambushes go as one of the prisoner's is apparently the heir to the goblin chief.  I'd strongly recommend we find somewhere close to fort up for the night, then proceed in the morning after we've had a chance to rest and recover, and it may be worth trying to negotiate a ransom of some kind."  Erwin hesitated, then added firmly, "Normally I wouldn't suggest negotiating with goblins, but I think the locals are acting as a stopper to the other clan.  If you want to trust their words, they're only raiding because it's their only way to survive.  I doubt we can actually trust them for long, but if we give them another option, another route to survival..."  Erwin lets the idea hang in the air.  "Personally I find the idea distasteful, but my job is to give you the options.  Your gold, your choice."

Perrin:

Perrin wasn't certain he could believe his own ears.  Was Erwin actually suggesting genuine negotiation?  With goblins?  He simply couldn't decide if he should be pissed off at the idea or cheer on a hero trying a new path.  Even if it failed, there was always something noble about heroes trying to make the world a better place by creating new options, and people loved that type of story.  On the other hand...  Goblins.  Who ever heard of goblins being anything other than a nuisance?

{{ Knowledge (history?) check:  Are there any stories, historical records, etc etc, one way or the other, on the subject of treaties with goblins? }}

{{ Knowledge (history?) check:  Other than their tendency to run ambushes and set traps, what does Perrin know about goblins? }}

Oh Perrin, you lucky, lucky dog you.

The half-elf frowns upon hearing the fighter's suggestion.  Negotiate with goblins?  Why, they can't be trusted!  They'd slit their mama's throat for a nickel!  Or so the stories say.  A successful interspecies parlay between other races and those filthy untrustworthy goblins was unheard of.  In fact, the goblin tribes themselves have problems negotiating amongst themselves.  Only once or twice do the stories say of a charismatic goblin warlord who unites the various tribes towards a common goal.  But those alliances never survive the first generation.

In any case, the half elf muses, why negotiate with the little beasties when you can easily dominate them?  They're no better than target practice for fledgling adventurers to hone their skills upon!  

The bard is no stranger to goblins.  In fact, he knows pretty much everything there is to know about goblins.  Because of their relative frailness and small size, goblins have always been dominated by a world which is larger than them.  As a coping mechanism, the goblins have evolved four distinct traits or tactics: the ability to hide very well (stealth + 6), a keen survival instinct (can disengage or hide as a bonus action), overcoming superior foes with superior numbers, and the ability to set crude but effective traps to discourage pursuers.  Goblins have a strong distrust of all non-goblins, and are masters of schadenfreude when the tables are turned.  After all, what are we in power for?

By itself, a goblin is no major threat - easily dispatched with a single sword blow (AC 15, HP 7), although its own attack can be quite lethal as well (1d6+2).  A goblin boss, on the other hand, is a more dangerous and crafty foe, having risen to its position by its physical or intellectual merit.  Goblin bosses, however, are easily ousted and their tribes taken over, more frequently by their larger cousins, the hobgoblins and the bugbears.

By its appearance, Perrin is certain that the unconscious goblin is not completely fully grown.  It's an adolescent by elven standards - about four years old (goblins mature by age 5), and since it chose to emerge from hiding and loot Erwin, was probably participating in some kind of initiation rite.  It's also somewhat naive or probably has some kind of death wish - just about all other goblins would be willing to say anything and barter information if they think their lives can be spared.

----

The Dwarf stokes his beard.  "By Muradin's beard, I've never heard of working with goblins, how many years I've already done this.  And lad, it is not my coin; like you, I am a hireling.  I may have authority over you, but in matters of security, I trust your judgment.  I will say this - no matter what you decide, we should not stay here.  Let's move the horse out of the way and set up camp somewhere safer."

Perrin:

"Erwin, while I'm sure it sounds like a good idea, goblins really cannot be trusted," Perrin says softly.  "Tales and legends abound about just how trustless they are."

Erwin:

Erwin nods.  "Complete agreement.  I don't like the very idea.  But it's my job to present options, even -- or especially -- the ones I don't like."

Erwin turns and walks over to the three goblins.  "You have been captured red handed as a result of your attempt to raid this caravan.  You have attacked us in violation of the law of the land and without justification," he announced loudly.  "By law, highwaymen and raiders may be sentenced to death.  I so sentence you.  You have two minutes to make peace with your gods.  If you wish, we have a cleric traveling with us and I will give him time to perform last rights."

"May the gods have mercy on your souls."

"Nos!  We tells you what you wants.  Lets us go!  We learn lessons, won't do it again!" goes one of the snipers.

The other sniper mutters about in Goblin about getting too greedy after robbing the monk and attacking fully-defended caravans, about lazy sleeping goblins, and about untrustworthy humans who do not keep their word.

The heavily-injured goblin looks at Erwin in the eye, proud to the end.  "Go ahead.  But makes it quicks, humans." it says quietly.

Erwin:

Erwin shakes his head.  "You told me many things, but nothing I was interested in hearing. I did not need or want intelligence about your tribe, or your competitors.  Information on other ambushes by your tribe might have saved you.  You had no such information.  Information on ambushes by the other tribe might have saved you.  You had no such information."

"You knew nothing of worth to us.  But..."  Erwin hesitated.  "You did indeed speak all that you knew.  A conundrum."  Erwin looked the most heavily injured goblin in the eyes.  "You, I think, are worth more than most of goblin kind.  You would not have lasted long, not as a goblin.  But I think perhaps you could have been someone worthy of respect, in another life.  For what it's worth, I am sorry how things have turned out."

Erwin slowly, deliberately drew his blade.  "May the gods you worshiped in life find you in death," he intoned, stomach churning.

Arjan:

"Wait," Arjan placed a hand on Erwin's arm.  "Perhaps they told you more than they thought they did.  Perhaps they themselves did not recognize the information they have of value."

Arjan turns and looks at the goblins.  "You say there have been increasing attacks by wildlife -- by 'hungry animals' with 'big teeth'."

"Tell us more about that.

Erwin:

Erwin smiled.  Assuming the goblins really do have some kind of information about that...  yes, that could be worth their lives.  "He's right," he said softly, looking at the one who was badly injured.  "Those creatures could be a threat to the caravan.  Exactly -- exactly -- the type of thing I was trying to get you to share.  Tell us about them.  That is information of use to me.  Information worth your lives."

"Big animals!  Bigger than yous!  Sharp teeth!  Sharper than yous!  Black skin!  Walks four legs!   Can also walks two likes yous and me!  It hunts fish, but also eats goblin!  Finds us through camp fire, steals our foods!" one of the snipers screeches in Common, excited at the prospect of sparing its own life.

Erwin:

"How big is it?  As big as a horse?" Erwin asked.  "And does it have fur?" 

{{ Knowledge check: Does the goblin's description ring any bells for Erwin, Arjan, or Perrin?  My first thought was 'black bear', but... bears have fur, so... }}

"No!  Horse longer.  Well... big horse longer!  Sharp teeth animal bigger!  Yes fur, yes.  Skin black!

"I also sees bigger sharp teeth animal!  Look same, except skin brown!  More scary, kill more goblin!" the other goblin pipes up.

Nature checks: Arjan [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 Erwin [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 Perrin [1d20] = 13

Arjan chuckles to himself.  The goblin apparently doesn't know the word for a "bear", or the difference between skin and fur.  By its description, he is certain that the goblin is referring to a black bear, and the other one was referring to a brown bear.

Erwin:

Erwin signs, and pulls out his dagger.  "Alright, I guess that's enough information to earn your lives," he agrees.  "I will, however, require your parole -- your word of honor that you will not attack this caravan again, or any other for three months."  He'd try for longer, but he knew damned well he wasn't going to get it.  It'd be easier in so many ways just to slit their throats, but... they did try to provide the information he needed.  And knowing that there were a lot more bears than usual in the area was useful information.  Bears did not normally attack campfires.  If they were, something was going on, and he and his people needed to be ready for that.

"Cult members passed you by?  So they were traveling at a fast clip considering.  Interesting." Leosin strokes his beard. "Did they say where they were going? Were they headed to Greenest as well?"

{OOC: I know this is a little late but it is the first chance I've had to post}

"They didn't say where they were going but Greenest is the next big town. As far as I know. So they could be.}

Morganor puts his shield on his back and kneels by the horse. "Could you give me a hand with this, Arjan? I think the two of us can handle this while Perrin and Garanth keep watch and Erwin finishes with the goblins."

The two giddy sniper goblins could not help but layer on profuse praises to the noble human, with promises never to attack his caravan or any other caravan ever again, saying that they have learned their lesson.

The injured goblin seems to be in shock, and just stares at Erwin.  "You woulds spares us?  Then you haves my word." it quietly says.

With great difficulty, Morganor and Arjan manage to move the horse carcass away from the road.  Morganor notices that both saddlebags have been looted, although he is able to salvage the saddle to return to Leosin, once he finds a substitute horse.

Morganor puts Leosin's saddle in the back of the wagon that he is in. He considers saying something about Leosin's saddlebags and belongings but decides to quietly check the dead goblins for loot while keeping his senses tuned to his surroundings.

Garanth notices and makes sure to check on him as he keeps watch.

Erwin:

Erwin nods, firmly.  "I don't believe the other two," he says softly as he cuts the leader free.  "You, I think, are worthy of trust.  Or at least worth the risk.  If I catch any of the three of you again..."  he lets the threat hang in the air.

"Your weapons and armor are forfeit," he adds as he cuts the other two loose.  "Get out of my sight."

Turning around, he pretended not to pay any attention to the three as he walked up to the dead horse, gathering Perrin and Arjan as he went.  "Lets get this out of our way."

Morganor starts checking the corpses for loot!

Goblin killed beside the horse
  • 5 rations (stolen from Erwin)
  • A scimitar and a shortbow with a quiver containing 5 crude arrows
  • Coin pouch with 18 gold pieces and 12 copper pieces
  • Badly-tattered leather armor and wooden shield cut in half by Erwin
  • Prayer book with Bahamut's symbol at the front
Viciously-mocked Goblin
  • Pouch containing three vials of mostly-clear straw-colored liquid.  There used to be labels attached to each vial, but the labels have fallen off.  Underneath the pouch, you see three scraps of paper, all labeled "Healing potion".  One is scrawled with "Bad", and the other one is marked as "Still Ok".  There is no mark on the third.
  • A scimitar and shortbow, with a quiver containing 3 crude arrows
  • Leather armor and dented wooden shield
  • Coin pouch with 6 silver pieces
Goblin killed by Garanth's arrow
  • A scimitar and shortbow, with a quiver containing 3 crude arrows
  • Leather armor and a wooden shield with a hole in it
  • Coin pouch with 16 silver pieces
  • A sheaf of notes in neat handwriting.  From a cursory glance, you notice it's about the Cult of the Dragons.  The name "Greenest" is encircled, with a question mark next to it.
As Erwin sets the three goblins free, they relinquish their weapons, but begged to keep their leather armor - it is a treacherous walk back to their lair, and unarmed naked goblins would be easy prey:
  • Three scimitars
  • Three shortbows, with three quivers containing 14 crude arrows
  • Three wooden shields; 1 is slightly coated with frost
The two sniper goblins help the heavily-injured goblin to its feet, and the creatures quickly scurry away from sight. 

With Erwin's help, the horse carcass has been moved and the caravan can now proceed.  The sky, which had turned a brilliant shade of orange, is starting to fade into blackness.

It is just now when Erwin realizes his coin pouch is still missing.

Leosin's eyes brighten as he sees Morganor recover some of his things.  

"Thank you, Brother Morganor.  The goblins took my coin, prayer book, and notes.  The rest do not belong to me."

With a smile, he gently pushes the vials, the rations, and the coin that isn't his (3 gold pieces, 22 silver pieces, and 12 copper pieces) into a pile.

The caravan hurriedly leaves the ambush area.  After traveling for a fashion, the experienced caravan master quickly points out two possible places to circle the wagons and set up camp.  The first location is a relatively-open clearing in the forest, safe from the elements with escape routes in every direction.  The second option is further back next to a hill - eminently defensible, but there is only one entrance, and exit.

The dwarf looks at Erwin.  "So lad, which spot do you think is preferable?  We know there are goblins about, but according to them, there are bears as well.  Which one do ye reckon is a bigger threat?"

{{ It is now your turn.  Describe your evening activities, as well as who is going to take first, second, third, and fourth watch. }}

{{ OOC:  My apologies, I thought I'd already posted...  Not sure what happened. }}

Erwin:

"Garanth, since you only need to trance for four hours, I'm going to give you first and fourth watch," Erwin orders.  "I and Perrin will take second, Morganor and Arjan can take third."

"Yes, sir!" answers Garanth pleased that Erwin had remembered about elves and sleep. He puts away his longbow and arrow and puts a bolt into the crossbow. It is easier to carry and can be quickly fired and dropped. Garanth is also happy to be given two watches; makes him feel useful and trusted.

Morganor just nods his acknowledgement and begins to set up his bedroll. Then carefully places his shield and war hammer within easy reach.

The Dwarf steers the caravan into the closer and more convenient forest clearing, reasoning that the goblins would not attack this caravan given their diminished power.

Suppertime and the first watch passed by uneventfully, although Garanth had the distinct unease that they were being watched by someone, or something.

During the second watch however, both Erwin and Perrin hear the unmistakeable growling sound of a bear.  What's worse, there appears to be more than one bear, and the footsteps are steadily coming closer as the animals' keen sense of smell draws them into the camp!

{{ It is your turn.  You cannot yet see the bears, but it seems like they will be upon you in moments.  You have gained the benefits of a short rest, but not a long one. }}

{{ Short rest: spend HD for injured characters, Arjan and Erwin. }}

Erwin:

Erwin shook Morganor, waking him, even as he bellowed in an effort to rouse the entire camp, "Trouble approaching the camp!  Stand ready!"

Having roused Morganor, Erwin quickly trotted in the directly of trouble, sword and shield at ready.

{{ Action:  Wake Morganor. }}

{{ Move: towards the source of trouble. }}

Perrin:

Looking for the source of trouble, Perrin hums an encouraging song, trying to inspire Erwin to greater heights.  With Perrin's magic still drained, and Arjan in a similar state, Erwin and Garanth would have to hold the bulk of this fight on their own.

{{ Move:  Get behind Erwin at a reasonable -- 30 ft? -- distance. }}

{{ Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration Erwin. }}

{{ OOC: will inspire Garanth next }}

As Erwin cautiously makes its way into the source of the noise, two black bears burst into the clearing ten feet away from him.  The bears see the human, and let out a roar!

INITIATIVE:
Arjan [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7
Erwin [1d20] = 15
Perrin [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6

Garanth [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8
Morganor [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9

Black Bear 1 [1d20] = 1
Black Bear 2 [1d20] = 7

ORDER: >> Erwin, Morganor, Garanth, Arjan, Black Bear 2, Perrin, Black Bear 1

Note: Erwin and Perrin are up and about.  Morganor is awake although prone.  Arjan is still sleeping.  Garanth is trancing, but is now alert.

Erwin:

"Oh hell," Erwin swore.  "Two of them.  Great.  Just effin great."  Erwin double checked the bindings on his shield before walking forward and bashing one with his shield.  He wasn't likely to shove something that large onto it's side, but maybe he'd get lucky.

{{ Move: to engage both bears }}

{{ Bonus Action:  Shove bear prone }}

{{ Action:  Attack bear }}

{{ Bardic Inspiration: If my adjusted attack roll is between 8 and 10 (inclusive), spend the die to improve it. }}

Arjan:

Poor Arjan.  He's so tired, he doesn't know what's goign on around him.  If only someone would wake him up, he'd gladly cast a frostbite at one of these annoyances.

{{ If woken: }}

{{ Move:  Stand up and get within frostbite range }}

{{ Action: Frostbite }}

Perrin (If Arjan is asleep):

Arjan quickly reaches over and wakes Perrin, realizing what he'd forgotten to do a moment ago.

{{ Action: Wake Arjan }}

Perrin: 

"Oh come on, yo' momma is to fat to keep feeding her shit," Perrin unleashed a string of insults at one of the bears, feeling his magic leech into the words.

{{ Action: Vicious Mockery, preferentially targeting a black bear who hasn't already received disadvantage on his attacks }}

Morganor quickly joins Erwin and slams into the bears with his shield(bonus action) as well then brings his war hammer down on the head of the other bear (action) not attacked by Erwin.

Garanth is up quickly with crossbow in hand. It appears that both bears are engaged but Garanth checks for an opening. If clear he fires the crossbow, if not go on to next action. Garanth drops the crossbow and takes up his shield and sword to join Erwin and Morganor looking to see where there is an opening to attack and who needs the help.