If they were smart (that's a big if) they'd pay attention to the scenarios you guys have come up with for how a president could attempt to overthrow our government and put into place some safeguards to prevent such a catastrophe, not to mention some of the sophisticated complications you guys have envisioned for the communications networks across the country. In this day and age, whoever controls the message controls the minds - it's not a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad you liked this chapter, Steve. There are more on the way.

For us, the authors and editors in the RU, it is more a matter of presenting each chapter, so that it is highlighted and not competing with another RU story/chapter. To that end, we are presenting a different story/chapter with each update of the website.

Currently, we have enough chapters to carry us through the month of August, at this rate. So chapters of your favorite RU story-arc will be coming faster than ordinarily.

As a budding author, I just hope I can write fast enough to help maintained this pace... And still do everything else I do for the RU and Castle Roland. Lots of work in the background tales place in order to get these stories out for you guys to read!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot going on in this chapter but the most important thing potentially, at least for the UNIT folks is this:

"Other than our physicists think that they can create a portal to Universe One? No. I'll let you know in a couple of days."

That could be huge for Adam aand Logan and the rest of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Al, I just completed the 5 available chapters of Scireians.  It is a really good story, and I'm anxious for more.  Interestingly I had just completed the 7 available chapters of Resistance.  Interesting in that the stories are polar opposites.  Yours is essentially science fiction with some adventure, and fast paced.  Rilbur's has a slower pace, focusing on characters, with no science fiction or the fantastical.  Yet both stories somehow fit within the larger RU framework.  I've been impressed with all the RU authors.

You are doing a great job filling in some of the gaps I had been wondering about.  How had the folks in Kettle Falls survived the machinations of Ashwood?  Who destroyed all the satellites?  Why was Ashwood so physically strong?  Etc.  One hanging question is why the UNIT chose to give their Utah base to Bryce.  I understand now that they can be defended in the Bahamas, even from nukes, which had been my primary concern.  I also understood that for their current mission, being off the east coast of the USA puts them a lot closer to current operations. Giving up their original base entirely still seems puzzling, however.  Concerning another issue, since the leaderships of the Scierians and the UNIT already know of each other, I hope in the next chapter they establish a communication link of some sort.  It is unlikely that either side would adopt a "don't call us, we'll call you" attitude.  I do understand, though, that centuries of separation might lead the Scierians to delay a bit before fully accepting two-way communication with another group.

One thing I didn't follow when you were describing the various multidimensional incursions.  Did they all originate from "Universe One" (the CSU) except Eric Aune's Changing Connections folks?

Concerning your mention of a possible way to open a portal to Universe One, I suspect that even if it happens, the UNIT folks will learn they cannot go home again.  It has been hinted (I think in one of Roland's stories) that Logan already knows why.

Wyatt, I'm really glad that you have enjoyed this story, so far. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions, without giving away what's coming next.

From the perspective of the Scireians, they live in Universe Prime. All of the UNIT kids come from what the Scireians are calling Universe One. The Changing Connections group comes from Universe Two.

From the data that was available at the Utah, Nevada and California sites, the Scireians were able to accurately reproduce the conditions necessary to construct a portal back to that dimensional reality. But because of the data overlap at Big Bear, they could not, with surety, reproduce the conditions to return the other group to Universe Two. The residual data from Montana seemed to indicate that those people also come from Universe One, but the Scireians would not state that for certainty.

That hanging questions of why Adam gave up the UNIT base, is a questions best answered by Roland. My people would not know the answer.

Does Logan know something he is not telling Adam? I highly doubt it, as Logan does not have access to all the data. Logan does not even have the necessary tools that would be required to retrieve and analyze the data.

Will the Scireians open communication with the outer world? With just the UNIT?

As you have already guessed, the centuries of self-imposed isolation is going to be tough to give up. To offset the pacifistic ideals of this group are the Outside Operatives (like Sabrina) and the Minister of Defense, Marko.

Marko has already shown that he will take the initiative to protect the Outsiders from the harm that Ashwood and his controllers, the Army of God, would inflict upon the masses. The current leader, Katja, is also in that camp.

The world of the Scireians is in dramatic change. A change that is not for the better. They are going to have some mighty strong internal struggles if they are to be a force for good, and openly announce themselves to the Outside.

Al, thank you for the quick reply, and for being as specific as you could without spoilers.

Does Logan know something he is not telling Adam? I highly doubt it, as Logan does not have access to all the data. Logan does not even have the necessary tools that would be required to retrieve and analyze the data.

So... You're really going to have me draw on my Google Fu this early on Sunday morning?  Second cup of coffee is on you, big buddy. Technically you may be correct.  It is unclear whether Logan knows anything.  However, Big Logan certainly does, or at least has a strong suspicion.

from New Beginnings Ch.7:

They had no luck in trying to contact anyone from the universe they knew, The Doctor, the Mikyvis, no one. They couldn't even feel the other UNIT members. They were truly cut off, and nothing that anyone could think of helped. He'd even gone so far as asking for ideas from the Chipmunks, Daileass, Haden, Barrett, and everyone else. Nothing seemed to be able to get them any closer to finding a way home than what they had already come up with. Logan wasn't ready to accept defeat yet, but it was starting to look like they might be stuck here.

Then his mind reeled for a moment. His other self, lovingly called 'Big Logan' by the others, had found something very disturbing as he looked in on their home dimension while he worked on ways to get them home. As much as it disturbed him, he was going to have to keep this from everyone. Going home was not what he had thought. In reality he wasn't sure what home really was anymore. This changed everything! He wouldn't stop looking, but now things took on dimensions that he had never even thought of as a possibility. Well that is what you get for thinking you knew something. The Universe would just thumb it's nose at you and let fly with the cosmic boogers.

This was particularly memorable because I started with the UNIT over in The Clan Short Universe (CSU).  So the framework of how they got to the Revolutions Universe, the why, the possible who, emotional repercussions, etc., are all something to which I pay close attention.  If one is unfamiliar with the CSU, that is probably all background noise.  Just not to me.  :rolleyes:

BTW, thank you for showing some of the loss Tommy felt.  That is part of the emotional repercussions I was talking about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...