Right to Read

Rilbur

Disturbing. Enlightening. Frightening. Thought-provoking. 

As a relatively new "author" who had been exploring the idea of publishing my stories, the e-pub route now has some flaws in its appeal, not the least of which is the inability to share "books" with others. And while I am not a philosopher of any merit, this article does drive home the idea, to me at least, that in order for any society to be free, there must first be the free and uncontrolled exchange of ideas. When those freedoms are curbed - for whatever noble intention expressed - freedom is eroded. This has been proven again and again throughout recorded human history. Or at least until recorded human history is no longer...recorded.

As a relatively new "author" who had been exploring the idea of publishing my stories, the e-pub route now has some flaws in its appeal, not the least of which is the inability to share "books" with others.

Epub does not automatically mean DRM.  That thought process is a continuation and extension of the underlying thought processes that the short story is deriding.

Please reference Cory Doctorow's website, where he provides all his books free of DRM, for free.  You can share them, freely, without paying a cent.  All to encourage you to buy them outright.

And please try to remember, that all this encumbrance of copyright, is NOT at the behest of the authors themselves. It is the money-hungry corporations looking for more protections to their money machine.

Please note, that I don't have a problem, in general, with capitalism. It is the fascist control by corporate entities that I have the problem with... That and bought and paid for congresscritters.

Speaking of electronic publishing, I use a service called smashwords.  You start with a .doc, and it outputs a whole variety of formats for you.

One issue to be wary of is that most people don't know how to use Word properly, and wind up with documents that aren't formatted correctly.  You have to fix that before you can publish through Smash.