Forever 2 - Changes

Castle Herald

Jack

I'm really enjoying this one!  Forever 1 was excellent and set up a lot about the relationship between Jack and Sam.  You mentioned in a reply earlier that this one was darker.  You weren't kidding!  This one is full of action and suspense.  Nice job.

What in the hell was Jack thinking going out into the woods alone to find Sam?  :huh:   Who did he think he was, Daniel Boone?  Glad that Sam found him.  Let's hope they make it through the night and make it back safely.

Steve

Steve,

Glad you are enjoying Book Two. It's been a lot of fun to challenge myself to write more drama and suspense. But the romance is still central to the story. And I think Sam will get Jack safely back to civilization....but we'll have to see what happens between them first. I think they have  a lot to talk about.

Jack, both chapters 9 and 10 show a great deal in Jack's character. How he thinks, acts and reacts to various stressors.

But they also show Sam, and all of his insecurities. He needs to feel he is contributing something to the welfare of Jack. I suspect that in Sam's mind, Jack has shown (once again) that he doesn't need Sam's protection. Jack can take care of himself. So without a second thought, Sam goes off on a mini-walk-about. Never once thinking about what Jack would think and/or do, when Sam didn't show up as Jack expected him to. Sam, was too caught up in his own little nightmare.

So Jack experiences the terror of being lost and alone in a world that is wholly alien to him.

Sam, realizing, to some extent, what has happened to Jack, goes back out and tracks down Jack.

Yes, Sam finds Jack. Jack is once again within the protective arms of his beloved...

Sam and Jack have a lot of explaining to do with each other. I don't know if Jack can break through Sam's machismo. I'm not even sure that Sam can break his own conditioning, to see what Jack is really all about and how Sam fits in all of this.

Like it or not, gay or straight, men in our society are molded into a certain mindset. Those men that don't fit this mold, more often than not, form self destructive habits out of some societal enforced guilt mechanism. Breaking free of what society says we are supposed to be is a daunting task. Few survive it unscathed.

This roller-caoster has been an extremely interesting ride so far. I suspect we haven't reached the peak yet.

Jack? Thank you for writing a story, so filled with the emotions and insecurities we all feel in our relationships. More than that, thank you for showing that money is not the everyday panacea that so many other stories tend to portray.

Jack? Thank you for writing a story, so filled with the emotions and insecurities we all feel in our relationships. More than that, thank you for showing that money is not the everyday panacea that so many other stories tend to portray.

Well....it's my turn to be speechless...almost. Thank you, Alan. I deeply appreciate your thoughts and insights into my story thus far. I especially appreciate the fact that you articulated a couple of the main realities I was hoping to convey within this tale. People are complex and messy and difficult and drastically different from one another...and that's just the ones that like each other. How many times have we heard the adage that opposites attract? I think the challenge in relationships is not so much opposites attracting as everyone is so different from who we are. That's by design, I believe. But it certainly makes things tough at times.

And yes, I am a firm believer that money does not solve most problems. It can relieve pressure for a season, but what it really does is amplify what's already in a person. If someone has great character and a giving heart, they will excel and do more of the same with money. If someone is selfish and focused only on their own desires, then they will also "excel" and do more of the same with money. If someone makes unwise decisions with a little bit of money, they will just make bigger unwise decisions with more. 

As far as Jack and Sam go, I really don't know where they are at with each other at this juncture. I think this "rift" is deeper than it may appear, or that any of us are hoping for. To be honest, I've been reluctant to start writing again as I'm afraid of where they will take it. It's not like I have their characters all mapped out and I'm following a detailed outline anymore. I'm discovering who they are at the same time they are discovering it for themselves. I love them both, but they have issues....grin.

I think I know the root problem - and it's the same for both of them. Beyond that, we'll all just have to wait and see what they have to say to each other in the next chapter. I think they're waking up from their night in the woods very soon.....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm glad that Jack and Sam found their way back to civilization.  Not that I had any doubt that Sam would get them back.  It was obvious that the two had some things to work out.  I can understand Sam's need to feel as if he has a purpose.  Most of us have never been in a situation where financial status has been so disparate...and let's face it, in this society, a lot of one's "worth" is measured in dollars and cents.  Hopefully, Sam got Jack's message that he's worth more to his partner than what he can add to the checkbook.

Sam is proud, but he needs to learn that something is bothering him, it's going to end up bothering Jack too if he gets silent and moody.

I'm curious to see how the guys are going to handle law school in St. Louis. 

Good chapter, Jack!  Thanks for another excellent update.

• 1 month later...

Jack, I love this series(read it twice), wondering when you will be putting out the next chapter?  Hopefully very soon!  Keep up the great work love these people.

Emart,

Thanks for checking in. I'm impressed you read the whole series twice. That made my day...thank you. Unfortunately, I am neck deep in a huge project for work so my writing time is extremely limited at the moment - read non-existent. I have maybe 6 pages written on the next chapter, a head full of ideas and conversations and characters screaming to get out, but no time. Hang in there. I will hopefully be able to start writing again in a couple of weeks. Have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

So glad you liked the latest. It feels wonderful to be able to write again after a long hiatus with ordinary everyday life demanding my attention. It was good to re-visit some old friends of the gang, and the upcoming party should be a fun time for all. Hope I can get another chapter completed in short order. Have a good one!

Jack

NiteOwl,

Glad you enjoyed the latest. This was a big, big chapter in a lot of ways. The response has been overwhelming. I was heartened to realized people were still interested in the story. I took time off to write for the Halloween contest and it was difficult to get back into it, but I'm glad Jack and Sam are back. I like these guys so much. More to come. Thanks for sticking with us.

Jack

• 1 month later...

Don't you just love it when a self proclaimed king pin steps on his dick. I would not want to go up against the team Jack is putting together 

Niteowl,

LOL! Exactly what I think, too. Jack has come a long, long way from the scared kid in the beginning, and a ton of the credit goes to the team he's surrounding himself with. I'm excited to see what all they can accomplish together. Something tells me the fools in Texas have unknowingly tripped over a vipers' nest. They best be careful when messing with Jack and Sam and the crew. More to come...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...