The Last Bottle

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Ken Barber stories can now be found at Ken Barber]

NEW SHORT STORY

Short Story Discover at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/ken_barber

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

There are words for people like you, Ken Barber!  Words about how you end stories without resolutions, how you tease out a 2 ton weight of emotion and then drop it like a neutron bomb in the center of our "feels."  You arrogant, black-hearted, dirty-word filthy scalawag, carpet-bagging scruffy looking Nerf herder!

Well done.  Completely left fielded me and brought a weird closure to things that happened earlier in the night.  Excellent story, mate!

• 1 month later...

It was absolutely great. I should read more of the stuff you've done.

I had emotional highs and lows when reading this. I almost cried when I started to piece together that Kevin was not just simply saying 'I don't want to see you anymore' or 'I have another obligation that will take me to other parts of the world' etc.

It hit me like a blow to the face (and I've had a few of those) when I realized Kevin was going to die. It reminded me of a few conversations I've actually had, although no wine was ever involved in my case.

Benji,

Thank you do much, that means a lot. The story was tough because I have lost so many friends over the years without ever getting to say good-bye. This was one of those times that I imagined what it would be like for someone to tell you in person. I love feel-good stories, hero gets the hunk and saves the world stories, but I think sometimes we need reality, we need to cry, we need to get angry.