The Lost Boys

Castle Herald

Who's to say Tom ISN'T Jughead?  The original artist and creator of the comic series is from the small town I based Canterbury on.  He based the characters on his high school friends, and many of the things around the town have featured in the comics over the years. 

There are amazing historical things in our various locations.  The same city has the first statue of a woman raised in America, was visited by George Washington during the Revolution, was also the inspiration of the town of Arkham and Huskatonic University in the H.P. Lovecraft tales of "cosmic horror," had a tavern that played a part in the "Sons of Liberty" organizing, has a church who's steeple has been measured and copied all across the nation for the last several hundred years, and figured enormously in the shoe industry in the previous century.  And that's just stuff I found out doing a simple wikipedia search. 

We need, as a culture, to respect and understand our history.  Not so much to learn to not make the same mistakes, but to appreciate when we got it right, when we got caught off guard, and when something of subtle genius is hiding right below our noses.  Who could predict that Archie, Washington and C'thulu could have a link in the same soil   I wonder what amazing coincidences exist in your back yard?

My records show it cleared two weeks ago... Oh, wait.... That was the check for "Nude Cowboys of 2015" calendar. Your check was returned to me, with a stamp of "This patient not committed to this facility anymore." on the envelope. I guess we all will just have to wait on one chapter at a time, sigh....

D'Artagnon, I know you are a fair man.... Here is a case of injustice you can help with.... With being in Europe for a few months, I am asleep when the new chapters are published and you all in the States can read them first. Therefore I am last to read them. I think you can help with this gross miscarriage of justice and arrange to have several of your chapters published at once so to carry me through this blatant disregard of time zones and its soul corrupting influence. (Hey, I'm reaching but there may be some plea which will work! If I don't try, I don't get and you don't get to roll your eys at me...grin...)

The schedule of postings is not up to me.  The Castle staff believe that it is better to post in gradual increments rather than lump sum chapters like that.  I therefore have no control over dispersing additional posting in that manner.  Sorry, out of my hands.

Alan, if Daniel Webster can take on the Devil and a jury of notoriously evil men, I thought briefly about your offer, but in the end decided, with my luck, I would wind up shining your shoes for the rest of eternity or something, grin....

Being a Lost Boy comes with some perks, some quirks and occasionally, some real jerks.  And sometimes, some shocks and surprises that change how you look at everything around you.  Will the scene of the crime reveal more clues, provide some answers or just leave more questions?  The Lost Boys, Chapter 7 - Tribal Connections    is next.

Blessings and curses often come in the same small package.

For longtime readers, I must say this.  There have been editorial changes made in chapter 5 - Andy the Fox.  There were issues with mathematics I encountered in writing chapter 7 that required them.  It shouldn't make any difference in the plot or characterization, it was just something that bugged me and I thought would bug readers as well.  So if you have read chapter 5 before, the discrepency is not going to affect the actual story.

Chapter 7 is the first in the new chapters for Andy, Kyle, Sammy, Tom & Josh.  Haven't written these boys' stories in a while, feels good to get back into the swing of it all.  I hope you enjoy the twists and turns to come.  Like a lot of things in Canterbury, the truth is always a little deeper than what you might see at first glance.  Keep kleenex and snacks close by.  Things are about to get... complicated.

This song was one of the things I listened to when I came up with some of the ideas in The Lost Boys.  It's a Rush song that is loosely based on a passage in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the spells used to help lead the deceased to the afterlife.  Seems somehow fitting in many ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VoXz4_uMM

Sometimes, the areas of the map run into big empty, unknown spaces.  This is one of those times.  The Lost Boys will take a week off, reorient, get their collective crap together and get back on the road.next week.  Sorry for the delay, but these things occasionally happen.

Someone remind Sammy to hit the restroom before we get moving again!

• 2 weeks later...

Ever get into a groove, like totally hitting everything about a story, the words just jumping off the page, and then you have some family obligation that takes you away from the computer for a while and you don't save the file... and while you're gone, you have a power out and the file is completely gone...

I lost my entire next three chapter notes and set up for Lost Boys, beginning with chapter 8.  Completely gone.  I will try to get things back, but I'm starting from scratch...

dumb woof goes to corner to bang head on wall for a bit, then goes back to banging keys

Remember folks, Jesus Saves, but Buddha  is smart enough to make hard copies.

D'Artagnon,

First of all, you will never be a "dumb woof" to me. Ever. You just got caught up with a family situation and forgot to save. All it shows is, that you are human and not perfect. (Which I was beginning to think you were perfect but now know you are human like the rest of us, grin... Just a damn good writer!) The lesson here is to try to do something to make you remember to save, even if suddenly taken away from the computer, whether it be an automatic solution or a manual or memory jogging one. I'm sorry you lost your notes, and you are frustrated. Would never wish that on you or any other author I so respect. But looking on the positive side, maybe the re-write will make for even a better story than it was before!!!! Will await more of the story until it comes out... Write on, Sir.... Your loyal audience patiently awaits.

• 4 months later...

Kyle is all alone, drugged and surrounded by people with evil intent.  Could things get stranger or more perilous for him and the rest of the guys?.   Lost Boys  Chapter 8 - 

That Place Between Sleep and Awake    is next.

If you aren't sure if it's real, does that mean it could be?