Why can't someone from the US say this?

Emperor Roland

Kyle,

I am on board as long as the Christian community agrees to violently wipe out the christian fanatics, and the Jewish community needs to slaughter their fanatics. Christians turn a blind Eye to their fanatical factions just as much as the Muslim community turns a blind eye to their fanatics. And yes  through history up to and including present day Christians have also committed acts of terrorism

After 1981, members of groups such as the Army of God began attacking abortion clinics and doctors across the United States.

A number of terrorist attacks were attributed by Bruce Hoffman to individuals and groups with ties to the Christian Identity and Christian Patriot movements, including the Lambs of Christ

A group called Concerned Christians was deported from Israel on suspicion of planning to attack holy sites in Jerusalem at the end of 1999; they believed that their deaths would "lead them to heaven"

The motive for anti-abortionist Scott Roeder murdering Wichita doctor George Tiller on 31 May 2009 was the belief that abortion is not only immoral, but also a form of murder under "God's law", irrespective of "man's law" in any country, and that this belief went "hand in hand" with his religious beliefs.The group supporting Roeder proclaimed that any force is "legitimate to protect the life of an unborn child", and called on all Christians to "rise up" and "take action" against threats to Christianity and to unborn life. 

Eric Robert Rudolph carried out the Centennial Olympic Park bombing in 1996, as well as subsequent attacks on an abortion clinic and on a lesbian nightclub. Michael Barkun.

There are many more world wide. I can keep listing them so if we are going to violently eliminate fantatiscm then it needs be all.

Yep the list goes on and on  and there is no way to stop it. 

isnt the point of religious people to tray to convert others? the problem is when it moves into force, bloodshed and terror. Keep in mind it wasn't a religion that killed untold millions with stalin, hitler or polpot. it was lack of religion.

yep it is it's why they send their missionaries to 3rd world countries and backwater holes so they can preach to them then show them they don't have to live like animals. but for some cultures living like they do is a way of life.  and it shouldn't be stomped out because they are so called heathens! that's what cultures are about!

isnt the point of religious people to tray to convert others? the problem is when it moves into force, bloodshed and terror. Keep in mind it wasn't a religion that killed untold millions with stalin, hitler or polpot. it was lack of religion.

Yeah, and it wasn't religion that tortured thousands upon thousands of people, it was the inquisition... oh, wait.

OK, it wasn't religion that lead to the crusades, killing... oh, wait.

lets talk about the last 100 years. Has religion, other than Muslims, or non religiois done more damage. Has the decrease in religiousness caused more death or less? Yeah, religious people in history have done a lot of killing and most of those regions have grown up and figured it out. I sure don't see the same from the non-religious or muslims though.

I've traveled a lot. I've had kids line up to introduce themselves just so they could practice their English. A language that has been deemed the world language because in part it's the language of commerce. I've yet to run into a common man in any country that hated or even disliked me for being an American. And ya, like any other government we have corruption. The difference is that it can not lodge itself so firmly here that it can't be removed without force. And we rebound.

I've talked to many that remember our paratroopers landing in Europe, remember them delivering food. These people don't hate us. They love the way we've made their lives more livable. Having said that, I agree that we do not have the right or even the duty to police the world. We've stuck our noses in where it doesn't belong a lot. But at the moment it seemed the right thing to do. America is not about the many, it's about the few. Laws are not written for the many, they're written to protect the few.

Ours is not a perfect system but for ME, it's the best one out there.

As for religion, I don't see us forcing it on anyone. It's not our way and EVERY religion has it's zealots. Look at Westborrow. And not being a religious person in any form, I live for the day when we don't have any at all. Religion has been the cause of more death and destruction then any other cause, bar none. But freedom comes with a price, if we forced it on others then freedom isn't. People have the right to be just as damn ignorant as they choose to be.

Now somebody pass me a beer. A German one please, they know how to make it and think Canadian beer is even pisswater.

ROTFLMAO

I don't know what to think about Islam, to be honest.  On one hand, it is a younger religion, and suffice to say Christianity had its own warts during the Crusades and the Inquisition, as well as the Spanish one.  On the other hand, just about all the religious terrorists you hear about are related to Muslims.  Not to say that all of them are (Protestants vs. Catholics in Ireland during the past century, Buddhists lashing out in Myanmar and Sri Lanka), but a large portion of what I hear on the news certainly are.  

So yes, I really don't know.

We ALL must remember that there are a good bit more than 330 million Americans, now, as populations go, there are many countries and cultures that have a great deal more people than does the United States. Saying that however, there is probably a lesser percentage of those Americans who travel on the international scene than those of many other countries. When Americans travel, it involves greater distances than those who travel from other countries, for example, France and Great Britain, to name just two. Other than to our two neighbors, Mexico and Canada, travel for Americans involves both time and money, so Americans travel less frequently than many other nationalities. That does not mean we do not travel at all, but the likelihood of our people traveling to a place totally different from our home environment takes a good deal more than just a step across the border in most cases. Because of our somewhat insular location on the planet, our people are not accustomed to radically different cultures and languages. The United States is a bit more than three thousand miles across and about fifteen hundred miles north to south. There are few other nations so large and those that are, are somewhat sparsely settled or are mostly jungle. In that large area, a single language is spoken, albeit with some minor dialects. So, the shock of hearing spoken words that they cannot understand is enormous. Like anyone who is as nervous as a sheep in a wolf den, many American travelers become frightened and frustrated. What many see as arrogance is, in reality, fear!

In my own travels, I have not witnessed the things that several writers have spoken of, but I do not doubt they exist.  As we make every attempt to accommodate foreign travelers to our country, I would hope that those who live in countries much different from the United States would grant us the same privilege. That however has NOT been my experience. I have been shouted at, snarled at, threatened and told to leave an establishment because I did not understand what was being said. Rather than cause a "scene", I usually left. I am reminded of an incident that took place a few years ago at Disneyland in Orlando, Florida. A man, who spoke little English, took a swing on a ride operator because the operator attempted to assist his daughter in entering the ride. The man was speaking French and I understand enough of that language to have a pretty good idea what the man was saying. My own face turned beet red in embarrassment at the crude and vulgar language he was throwing around and, all the while, the ride operator remained polite and courteous to him and his family. I am not sure I would have had the same restraint.

My point is, a little tolerance  goes a long ways on BOTH sides. It takes two or more persons to create an unpleasant incident and several hundred to smooth it over. 

Charles Bird

Sea Bird

I've traveled a lot. I've had kids line up to introduce themselves just so they could practice their English. A language that has been deemed the world language because in part it's the language of commerce. I've yet to run into a common man in any country that hated or even disliked me for being an American. And ya, like any other government we have corruption. The difference is that it can not lodge itself so firmly here that it can't be removed without force. And we rebound.

I've talked to many that remember our paratroopers landing in Europe, remember them delivering food. These people don't hate us. They love the way we've made their lives more livable. Having said that, I agree that we do not have the right or even the duty to police the world. We've stuck our noses in where it doesn't belong a lot. But at the moment it seemed the right thing to do. America is not about the many, it's about the few. Laws are not written for the many, they're written to protect the few.

Ours is not a perfect system but for ME, it's the best one out there.

As for religion, I don't see us forcing it on anyone. It's not our way and EVERY religion has it's zealots. Look at Westborrow. And not being a religious person in any form, I live for the day when we don't have any at all. Religion has been the cause of more death and destruction then any other cause, bar none. But freedom comes with a price, if we forced it on others then freedom isn't. People have the right to be just as damn ignorant as they choose to be.

Now somebody pass me a beer. A German one please, they know how to make it and think Canadian beer is even pisswater.

ROTFLMAO

oh but the corruption is firmly lodged here it's just people are to blind to see it.  we keep voting the coruption back in every year. we need to do the same with the president we need term limits on both the house and the senate fuck this liftime of whiners who vote when they get paid enough by their peronal lapdogs, it's time to cut them off by the balls, I say including the president they should all make 10.50 and hour punch a time clock and only get paid the days the actually show up in washington.  if they miss a week of work they are fired just like anyone in the rest of the damned country. 

Here's your beer enjoy the song above LOL  and yeah german beer is good I love a nice dark beer, not this stuff they call amber in the states, and these micro breweries what's all the crap they pour out  this sight needs the barf symbol! LOL 

Good afternoon and welcome to Hurlingham Park. You join us just as the competitors are running out onto the field on this lovely winter's afternoon here, with the going firm underfoot and very little sign of rain. Well it certainly looks as though we're in for a splendid afternoon's sport in this the 127th Upperclass Twit of the Year Show. Well the competitors will be off in a moment so let me just identify for you. (close-up of the competitors) Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith has an O-level in chemo-hygiene. Simon-Zinc-Trumpet-Harris, married to a very attractive table lamp. Nigel Incubator-Jones, his best friend is a tree, and in his spare time he's a stockbroker. Gervaise Brook-Hampster is in the Guards, and his father uses him as a wastepaper basket. And finally Oliver St John-Mollusc, Harrow and the Guards, thought by many to be this year's outstanding twit. Now they're moving up to the starting line, there's a jolly good crowd here today. Now they're under starter's orders ... and they're off! (the starter fires the gun; nobody moves) Ah no, they're not. No they didn't realize they were supposed to start. Never mind, we'll soon sort that out, the judge is explaining it to them now. I think Nigel and Gervaise have got the idea. All set to go. (starter fires gun again; the twits move off erratically) Oh, and they're off and it's a fast start this year. Oliver St John-Mollusc running a bit wide there and now they're coming into their first test, the straight line. (the twits make their way erratically along five white lines) They've got to walk along this straight line without failing over and Oliver's over at the back there, er, Simon's coming through quite fast on the outside, I think Simon and Nigel, both of them coming through very fast. There's Nigel there. No. Three, I'm sorry, and on the outside there's Gervaise coming through just out of shot and now, the position... (the twits approach a line of matchboxes piled three high) Simon and Vivian at the front coming to the matchbox jump.. three layers of matchboxes to clear... and Simon's over and Vivian's over beautifully, oh and the jump of a lifetime - if only his father could understand. Here's Nigel ... and now Gervaise is over he's, er, Nigel is over, and it's Gervaise, Gervaise is going to jump it, is it, no he's jumped the wrong way, there he goes, Nigel's over, beautifully. Now it's only Oliver. Oliver ... and Gervaise... oh bad luck. And now it's Kicking the Beggar. (the twits are kicking a beggar with a vending tray) Simon's there and he's putting the boot in, and not terribly hard, but he's going down and Simon can move on. Now Vivian's there. Vivian is there and waiting for a chance. Here he comes, oh a piledriver, a real piledriver, and now Simon's on No. l, Vivian 2, Nigel 3, Gervaise on 4 and Oliver bringing up the rear. Ah there's Oliver (Oliver is still trying to jump the matchboxes), there's Oliver now, he's at the back. I think he's having a little trouble with his old brain injury, he's going to have a go, no, no, bad luck, he's up, he doesn't know when he's beaten, this boy, he doesn't know when he's winning either. He doesn't have any sort of sensory apparatus. Oh there's Gervaise (He is still kicking the beggar) and he's putting the boot in there and he's got the beggar down and the steward's giving him a little bit of advice, yes, he can move on now, he can move on to the Hunt Photograph. He's off, Gervaise is there and Oliver's still at the back having trouble with the matchboxes. (the twits approach a table with two attractive girls and a photographer) Now here's the Hunt Ball Photograph and the first here's Simon, he's going to enjoy a joke with Lady Arabella Plunkett. She hopes to go into films, and Vivian's through there and, er, Nigel's there enjoying a joke with Lady Sarah Pencil Farthing Vivian Streamroller Adams Pie Biscuit Aftershave Gore Stringbottom Smith. (shot of twit in a sports car reversing into cut-out of old woman) And there's, there's Simon now in the sports car, he's reversed into the old woman, he's caught her absolutely beautifully. Now he's going to accelerate forward there to wake up the neighbour. There's Vivian I think, no Vivian's lost his keys, no there's Vivian, he's got the old woman, slowly but surely right in the midriff, and here he is. Here he is to wake up the neighbour now. (a man in bed in the middle of the pitch; twit slams car door repeatedly) Simon right in the lead, comfortably in the lead, but he can't get this neighbour woken up. He's slamming away there as best he can. He's getting absolutely no reaction at all. There, he's woken him up and Simon's through. Here comes Vivian, Vivian to slam the door, and there we are back at the Hunt Ball, I think that's Gervaise there, that's Gervaise going through there, and here, here comes Oliver, brave Oliver. Is he going to make it to the table, no I don't think he is, yes he is, (Oliver falls over the table) he did it, ohh. And the crowd are rising to him there,and there I can see, who is that there, yes that's Nigel, Nigel has woken the neighbour - my God this is exciting. Nigel's got very excited and he's going through and here comes Gervaise. Gervaise, oh no this is, er, out in the front there is Simon who is supposed to insult the waiter and he's forgotten. (Simon runs past a waiter standing with a tray) And Oliver has run himself over, (Oliver lying in front of car) what a great twit! And now here comes Vivian, Vivian to insult the waiter, and he is heaping abuse on him, and he is humiliating him, there and he's gone into the lead. Simon's not with him, no Vivian's in front of him at the bar. (the twits each have several goes at getting under a bar of wood five feet off the ground) Simon's got to get under this bar and this is extremely difficult as it requires absolutely expert co-ordination between mind and body. No Vivian isn't there. Here we go again and Simon's fallen backwards. Here's Nigel, he's tripped, Nigel has tripped, and he's under and Simon fails again, er, here is Gervaise, and Simon is through by accident. Here's Gervaise to be the last one over, there we are, here's Nigel right at the head of the field, (the twits approach five rabbits staked out on the ground; they fire at them with shotguns) and now he's going to shoot the rabbit, and these rabbits have been tied to the ground, and they're going to be a bit frisky, and this is only a one-day event. And they're blazing away there. They're not getting quite the results that they might, Gervaise is in there trying to bash it to death with the butt of his rifle, and I think Nigel's in there with his bare hands, but they're not getting the results that they might, but it is a little bit misty today and they must be shooting from a range of at least one foot. But they've had a couple of hits there I think, yes, they've had a couple of hits, and the whole field is up again and here they are. (they approach a line of shopwindow dummies each wearing only a bra) They're coming up to the debs, Gervaise first, Vivian second, Simon third. And now they've got to take the bras off from the front, this is really difficult, this is really the most, the most difficult part of the entire competition, and they're having a bit of trouble in there I think, they're really trying now and the crowd is getting excited, and I think some of the twits are getting rather excited too. (the twits are wreaking havoc on the dummies) Vivian is there, Vivian is coming through, Simon's in second place, and, no there's Oliver, he's not necessarily out of it. There goes Nigel, no he's lost something, and Gervaise running through to this final obstacle. (they approach a table with five revolvers laid out on it) Now all they have to do here to win the title is to shoot themselves. Simon has a shot. Bad luck, he misses. Nigel misses. Now there's Gervaise, and Gervaise has shot himself - Gervaise is Upperclass Twit of the Year. There's Nigel, he's shot Simon by mistake, Simon is back up and there's Nigel, Nigel's shot himself: Nigel is third in this fine and most exciting Upperclass Twit of the Year Show I've ever seen. Nigel's clubbed himself into fourth place. (three coffins on stand with medals) And so the final result: The Upperclass Twit of the Year - Gervaise Brook-Hampster of Kensington and Weybridge; runner up - Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith of Kensington; and third - Nigel Incubator-Jones of Henley. Well there'll certainly be some car door slamming in the streets of Kensington tonight.    

For beer, head for Australia or New Zealand !  For Wine, France can't be beat ! For Bourbon Whiskey I choose The United States !  For Rum, Barbados has some! For Ale, give Ol' England a hale! For Tequila, Old Mexico, oo la la!  And so it goes, each land has its special brew and food to go with it, without compare. If you do not like one, then you may go to another and, if you are not careful, you will forget where you have been and where you must go! In the end, you will have had a helluva good time, but you won't remember any of it!

The one place where you may get all of it, all of the time is here in the United States. Why do you suppose that is? It is because we are all countries mixed together in a stew that includes a little bit of everywhere and everybody!

Charles Bird

Sea Bird

But I don't consider boones farm to be fine french wine LOL or ernest and julio gallo who sell it  by the tank car full, as far a french wines, sorry I disagree there yeah they make a few good wines but I've had better from other parts of the world, including some very fine wine's made here in the states. And not by french people!  Beer never touch the stuff but I do have a wonderful palette when it comes to fine wines, and have a huge collection in my wine cellar.  I had some absolute shite wines from france and some absolute brilliant wines from australia. Beers I can't comment on I'm not a beer drinker. 

When people forget that all religion is properly about SELF-GOVERNANCE by each individual,  and try to make it into political governance of other people, we are going to have problems, and the brand of religion is immaterial.  If you wish for me to follow your religion, set me an example I will want to follow.  If you threaten me or attempt to force me, you do so at your own physical AND moral peril.

I have traveled extensively in Latin America and in Europe and have in nearly all cases been treated with cordiality and congeniality.  A waiter in Spain tried to pick a quarrel with me about Ronald Reagan one time; in spite of being a life-long Democrat and no fan of the Republican Idol, I replied "He is my commander-in-chief.  I will not argue with any foreigner about any elected American leader.  I am here for a pleasant dinner.  Desist."  People of many nationalities seated at other tables in the establishment cheered and applauded.  In another instance in Acapulco where a table of Americans embarrassed me by being obnoxiously drunk and free-handed with the waitresses, I left the girls an exceptional tip and told them, "We are not all like that."  They all grinned and thanked me, and told me it was a pretty regular thing for people on vacation, wherever they were from.

I appreciate Dennis P.'s quote; it is one of my favorites also.  I am embarrassed by the lengths our government has gone to with spying and re-regulating everything from banking to flying to firearms purchases as a result, all in the name of "security".  I think it is a shame that our schools do not have ranges and armories and required instruction in marksmanship and firearms safety and maintenance. I think we should be vigilant about explosives on public transportation, but personal weapons, rather than being forbidden, should be encouraged.  I think the intelligence agencies of western nations should combine forces to locate and kill all members of terrorist organizations.  Those who would bomb or shoot as a result of expression of opinion need to just be eliminated, in the same way as any rabid animal is, quickly.  Those who blow up buildings in America or shoot soldiers in Great Britain or shoot up a magazine publisher in France or murder school boys and abduct school girls in Nigeria need to just be found and put instantly to death.  Consistently.  There needs to be an understanding that such individuals and groups are not permitted on our planet.  Religion is not a sufficient excuse.  Nothing is.  

Jamie 13

Sorry, I would not consider ANY Gallo wine for any use, except maybe, in cooking. The small wineries in the Napa Valley of California turn out some VERY respectable wines as do several wineries in upstate New York. Several other places in California produce excellent wine - Healdsburg, The Russian River Area, The Sonoma Valley and the Valley of the Moon (of Robert Louis Stevenson fame) Robert Mondavi produces some excellent wines in Lodi, California.  There are small wineries in many states, Washington, Oregon, and Texas to name a few. France does produce very fine wines as does Italy and several other European nations, but they are not the only wineries on the planet. To restrict yourself to ONLY the wines from just one region is snobbery in its worst form because you deprive yourself of experiencing new and different vintages. Fine wines are not cheap but they are well worth the effort to search them out. Portugal is another source, I am particularly fond of their Vinho Verde wines, both Rosa and Branco, The Napa Valley Cabernet wines are also particularly good.

If you purchase a wine because it is cheap, then you deserve what you get - CHEAP!

Charles Bird

Sea Bird

The Washington wine industry has simply exploded in the last 20 years. The area produces wine the equal of California and France. Easten Washington is the perfect climate for grapes and the area is the same latitude as the French growing areas. Some years ago there was a blind taste test and a Washington wine was the top wine over those in the taste test from France. Washington wines no longer have to stand in back of California or France wines but now beside them.

I think we should annex the Sudatun land.  "Liberal rubbish, Clause what do you want with your jugged fish?"  "what have we got that isn't jugged?"  "rabbit fish I think?"  "is it jugged?"  "No it was coughing up blood last night"  "then I'll have the dead un-jugged rabbit fish"  (sound of a ding) voice off stage "one dead un-jugged rabbit fish later"  (clause) "Horrible, what's for afters?"  "well there's rat cake, rat tart, and rat sorbe"  "How many rats are in it?"  (women counts rat tails) "Six rather a lot really." (Clause) I'll have the rat sorbet," (throws a handful at the wife) "Apauling"  (Son walks in) "'ello mum 'ello pa, there's another dead bishop on the landing." (women) I don't know who keeps brining them here but that's the third one this week, I keep putting them in the dust bin and the dustman won't touch em."  (son) "shouldn't we call the police?"  (clause) "no the church police"  (shouts) "THE CHURCH POLICE!" (suddenly from behind the women out jumps a bunch of priests) "HO YES?" (women jumps) "are you the church police?"  (priest) "Yes ma'am.. is that rat tart?"  "yes"  "Apauling"  (women) "there's another dead bishop on the landing inspector"  (priest) Detctive Parsons ma'am) …. ok this sketch is getting a bit silly.  

For a minute I was wondering why you cut and pasted the text from the state of the union address here. lol

poor education system i was raised on to much monty python and I really thought this was getting to silly LOL 

The Washington wine industry has simply exploded in the last 20 years. The area produces wine the equal of California and France. Easten Washington is the perfect climate for grapes and the area is the same latitude as the French growing areas. Some years ago there was a blind taste test and a Washington wine was the top wine over those in the taste test from France. Washington wines no longer have to stand in back of California or France wines but now beside them.

I found better wines in the us then most other places  and just as fine and better then wines from France or Spain or even Italy  French wine is not what it's cracked up yo be anymore. yeah they have a few good vitages but not like it used to be they are now into lets make it like beer and sell it by the tanker full.

I didn't say the rest of the world isn't being sucked into the "lets be stupid too" trap nor is it particularly virtuous ... but a certain subsection of the North American continent is not the repository of all that is light and sweetness nor is it where the chosen people dwell.  It does however tend to have a predilection for sanctimonious hypocrisy and finger pointing.

Jamie13,

I have been voicing my opinion for more than 75 years and I have yet to be visited by the NSA or any other governmental agency. As I approach the age of 80, I don't intend in tamping down my opinions, even if they are not popular among my neighbors and readers. Just because an idea or opinion is not popular does not automatically make it untrue.

Charles Bird

Sea Bird

To be clear ... no one said you were unable to voice your opinions ... what is galling to the rest of the planet is the condescending attitude that many US residents have, that they and they alone are the glowing example to the world and that we should all bow low before their blazing magnificence.  Believe it or not the values trumpeted by the US exist in most of the western world and have for quite some time, and in some cases in much better form.  One should provide an example by deed, not by megaphone ... particularly when the example for quite some time has less than stellar.  A list would be rather long and I think pretty much everyone knows at least some of the entries on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider this an official warning.

This thread has, in some respects, become personal for some members. The rules are clear, debate the issue not the person. Name calling, or insulting any group or person is not permitted and said action will result in Moderator action.

Remember, stay on topic and treat all members respectfully. Do not reply to this post. If you have issues or questions regarding the warning then direct it to me via the forum personal message system. I trust the conversation will return to a more civil and respectful tone.