The Translator

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of David McLeod’s stories can now be found at David McLeod]

NEW STORY

Chapter 1 now presented at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/david_mcleod

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

• 11 months later...

I have read through chapter 27 so far and find this story to be very engaging.  However, I came upon an apparent error in that chapter and I thought I'd ask about it.

Spoiler

The chapter begins with a flashback, which is fine.  What doesn't make sense, though, is that the flashback is introduced as occurring, "Some two decades ago ...".  Unless time is passing incredibly quickly without Phillip or others being aware of it, I don't think more than two months could have passed since he first met Justin.  Plus, if Phillip still ages like an Earth human, I'm sure he would have noticed two decades pass...

Update -- I have just completed chapter 30.  Close to the end it speaks of there being more than three decades since their sea voyage.  That probably means 2 things. 1) Time is indeed passing incredibly quickly. 2) Since there has been no mention of Phillip being a middle-aged man, I'll assume he is aging at close to an elf's rate, and 3 decades still leaves him a "tween".

I don't understand this rapid passing of time.  To me it does not match the events of the narrative.  David McLeod has mentioned that elves sense the passage of time much differently than Earth humans, so i guess I'll go with that as the working theory.  Either that, or years and decades on World are incredibly short, with a decade being a month or two in Earth time.

It is possible that this isn't an error, and the issue will be explained in a later chapter.  The explanation does not occur in chapter 27, however.

I have completed the story and liked it very much.  At the close there are end notes which explain that this book is part of an interrelated series.  Any open plot threads may well be closed in other stories.  This was the first of David's books I had read.  Is there a suggested reading order somewhere?

• 7 months later...

Wyatt, I failed to "follow" my own forum, and only recently discovered your earlier messages.

First, thank you for reading and for your thoughts and the questions about time.

In "George of Sedona," the first of the "World" stories, it was established that humans' live span was approximately 500 years, elves about 5,000 years, and trolls... somewhat longer. It was also established that when one was transported to World (through a gate or quantum wormhole, whatever the gates are), the magic of world teaches them language and attached anti-aging genes to their DNA, I neglected to include that in this particular story. My error. Sorry for the confusion.

I should probably not have been so precise about the passage of time. I do have trouble making transitions, and remarking on the passage of decades is a cheap way to doing that. Again, my fault.

I do hope my tardiness in replying to you has not offended you, and I apologize for that, as well.

Thank you again for reading and commenting.

David