Into the Swamp of Bones!

Kyle Aarons

Eghas shakes Barret's hand limply, and mutters a 'thanks', before he stands up, and gets busy stripping the dead of their equipment and weapons.  he separates them by type, and quality, as well as taking the trinkets and coin and puts them into a separate pile.  everyone can see is mostly just trying to do busy work. 

Quelten, meanwhile, hasn't heard a thing that's happened.  He's just staring at his holy symbol, unable to fully process what had happened.  Bad enough to have been misused so horribly by Eghas, but to have his god stripped from him, the god all Beurden of Beurdens are supposed to follow above all others, it was just too much.  Nevermind that no one would have heard of the god he follows now, when his family found out about what had happened they'd disown him.  His life as a holy warrior of Pelgrin was over.  His life as a Beurden of Beurden was over.  There was nothing left.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

**** Ronald Check you PM's ****

The four boys start to stir. As they become fully self aware, theylook at each other then back to the group not far from them. All four are wearing hwat amounts to rags and they loo look down toward Gothan who is right next to some of you. The all lok like they are dying to questions but remain silent.

**** so is eveyone going up in thier current class other than one and another who has taked to me ****

Innil notices the boys stirring and is torn between trying to comfort Quelten and seeing to the boys needs. After a moments thought he heads toward Quelten. Laying his hand on Quelten's shoulder he speaks quietly, "Quelten, I am sorry for what happened to you. I think Barrett is correct; you were not handed over like an old shoe but Pelgrin offered you to the god he once worshipped to help end a great evil. Pray to this new old god and see what he wants of you. But right now we could use your help; the boys are waking up and as Beurden of Beurden you are best equipped to help them deal with their ordeal. Please will you help them?"

Innil kneels down to look into Quelten's eyes as he says the last line.

Zemzelett watched the group's antics quietly. From what he had been able to ascertain from their conversation, Eghas' plan to focus all attention on him actually attracted the attentions of a Demon Lord. Only through the direct intervention of Enumclaw saved them all from a fate worse than death. But that came at a cost: the young cleric was discarded by the deity he worships and is now beholden to another. Knowing what he knows about the boy's family, he is not entirely sure young Quelten Beurden of Beurden can still call himself Beurden of Beurden should his family learn of this.

Plus, the man with the demon disguise seems to be cracking with demonic energies, as if a pact has been struck between him and Enumclaw.

The cleric was withdrawing into his own shell, clutching his holy symbol as if it were a horrible thing but at the same time like it was his only lifeline. Deciding that tackling the issue directly will probably backfire, the half-elf decided to take this in an indirect fashion. He made to go towards the boy, but the kind elf reached him first.

Zemzelett shrugged. He's never been a religious sort. His mother worships Vindayin, elven goddess of the Forest. His father wasn't quite as devout but prayed to a smattering of gods, most of the time invoking Serrif, the god of chance. Zemzelett himself invokes Serrif on ococcasion and is secretly intrigued with the demon lord Rogaric. He's never called on the demon though, knowing his mother would likely skin him alive for even wanting to do so.

All things considered, he won't be very effective in helping Quelten, and decides to approach the boys instead. Putting on his most friendly smile, he greets them.

" Hi there! I'm Zemzelett the Acrobatic, all-star performer and prodigy of the Cantertrot Performance Troupe! And dashing bard extraordinaire! I'm no mere spoony bard, I assure you! You all look like you can use a meal and a bath. I know this isn't much or is what you're used to, but it's the best we've got for the moment. Unless..." he adds in a conspiratorial whisper, "You want some gnoll steak! Now, I can sense you've got a great many questions, so please feel free to ask me anything!"

While talking to them, the half-elf reaches into his pack, pulls out two daily ration packs, and hands them over to the nearest two boys for all four to share.

Active Perception: Watch the boys closely to ascertain their personalities, capabilities, degree of intelligence, and social pecking order.

Quelten looks up at Innil, not noticing the tears running down his cheeks.  Barret's words hadn't penetrated his stupor, but the hand on his shoulder got enough of his attention to hear what Innil had said.  "Pelgrin... Pelgrin offered me to Mithras?" he whispers.  "Oh I see.  Pelgrin didn't just fob me off.  I was selected, I was chosen by the deity my god once worshiped."  Quelten smiles softly.  "I wasn't discarded, I was honored.  This should be a joyous thing."

Quelten lifts the symbol up to his face and sees it as if for the first time.  "May I prove worthy," he kisses it gently before binding it once more around his neck.  "May I ever hold true to you, Mithras."

Quelten rises to his feet and looks at Innil.  "Thank you," he says firmly.  "I, Quelten Beurden of Beurden, son of house Beurden, Cleric of Mithras, am in your debt.  You are right, this is an honor, not a dishonor, and I shall choose to view it as such.  If some would fault me for this," Quelten's eyes drift over to Barret, "that is his problem, not mine."

"Duty calls.  I shall not fail to hear it again."

Off to the side, Reld speaks for the first time. As a matter of fact the young man has not even stood up yet, has not even gotten to his knees yet. Instead he is gazing at the palm trees, the beach, the stream, all of it as if he totally unsure of his very existance. "Would you all knock it off! If I am dead, as I half think I am, than I do not want to spend the afterlife hearing you all find ways to poke at each other! Barret appologized to you of the Beurden line and Eghas.... Well hell, it sure soudned like a good idea to me until this all happend! Now the next one who wants to give another grief will end up wiht my morning star upside thier heads! We are suck with each other, dead or alive, and the next person who gives me a headache like I am just getting over will get kicked in the nuts... At least twice! Do you all get where I am comming from here?"

he audibly growls, "Now would one of you, any of you, tell me if this is the afterlife or are we really alive and on some far away foreign land?"

Zem, the boys are stunned, and terrified. None of them say a word and none are looking to any of the others for leadership. at this point you have 4 extremely frightened normally heavilly pampered youths who are so far out of their element as to be semicatatonic. The other, Gothan, at least gets you were working to save him but he is not usure you care about the others and he is TOTALLY terrified of Vorador, who is washing in the stream, since he really doesn't want ot wash off in salt water. Still Vorador continues to look back at Eghas with shakes of his head and mutterings you cannot hear.

"I do not think he truly faults you. He was in shock and suffering from the same headache we all had. He even apologized to Eghas for blaming him. Eghas blames himself more than anyone else could and will probably apologize to you if you give him a chance. Prove yourself worthy of Mithras; he is as good as Pelgrin was. Now I see Zem handing some food to the boys. I think they could use more than he has. Come on."

Innil claps Quelten on the back and jogs up the hill to help Zem.

Deciding that tough love is the best course of action for jolting the boys out of their catatonia, Zemzelett scowls, and casts his minor illusion cantrip to cause a booming voice to appear to come from his mouth. The half-elf then mouths the words.

EAT IT!!! NOW!!!!

Deception or Intimidation on the boys, whichever is better :o

Quelten looks at Reld in shock.  "Barrett apologized.  You're trying to tell me he actually apologized?  I don't believe it!  That's not pos-  he wouldn't-  that ass- I-  I-"  Quelten stops stammering and looks over at Barrett. "If is true, I apologize.  I was distracted and didn't hear your apology.  I-  I-"  Quelten shakes his head in complete confusion.

Barrett rises and begins dressing "Quelten I spoke harshly and wrongly, forgive me please. I let the stress of the moment overtake me. We are all in this together and I will seek the fair maidens wisdom and her forgiveness tonight. You and Eghas accomplished a great feat and should be honored for it not scolded. You cleansed a small portion of the world of a demon lords minions. I am not much of a hunter but will attempt to hunt for food for us to feast this great accomplishment if you will allow me the honor". He looks at everyone and says loud enough for all to hear. " my arrogance and pride has gotten the better if me and I expect my goddess to wish penance but for you I can only offer my apologies. We have been thrust together by the gods will to do their bidding and we need to start trying to work together. Eghas you deserve a rest and for the rest of us to honor you. Would someone be willing to start a cook fire I will try to hunt clean and cook some game for all of you."

"You are alive, Reld. I think we have about worked out our problems. As to where we are I thought we might be near the Knight Guard Mountains but I am not sure with these unusual trees. I have never seen them before and I grew up in a forest." Innil hollers as he is jogging towards the hill with the boys.

Zem, that would be stright up intimidation and it works well. the boys, all of them, go super wide eyed and start eating wihouthaving to be told otherwise.

The horses, on the other hand, move a bit away from the voice, but the nice grass and fresh water prevent them from outright bolting. Reld's heavy horse, however, does give you a warning snort to keep away.

Reld finally gets up and struggles to get out of his armor, "Well if all the bickering is done and we really are alive, I could use a bath and some fresh water in my water skin. Can someone give me a hand or can I put a claim on of them kids as a servant and make him help me?"

Elan'fal ignores Reld royally, he has had enough of humans for one day after all and the "boy" has nothing to offer him other than a sword in battle, he is good for nothing else after all. He sighs and gently passes a hand over Quelten's shoulder and walks them to where the Gnoll corpses lie sunken and quite dead.

"Quelten, I cannot and do not even pretend to understand what you're going through, but like Innil said maybe this can be used as a force of good. These bodies here are not just dead, some force that I truly do not understand and is not of this world made sure not only that they are dead but that they can never ever be reanimated or used again. No one, no necromancer not even a god can bring them back to life. So maybe you can use your newfound powers to understand this power and replicate it. Can you imagine a world where the corpses and the dead stay dead? No more necromancy? I think that you have been set on a path to greatness."

He then hears Zem ordering the kids to eat and can only laugh at the boy's approach and the kids' reactions.

"Reld, aristocrats serve you..or us for that matter? I am pretty sure they'd prefer to be given back to the Gnolls than succumb to serving one they consider their inferior. And none of us is your servant. You have proven yourself in battle and that you can carry your own weight." He tells the boy and goes by the piles made by Eghas to see if there's any equipment he can take.

((((First off, sorry but this took a long time to type out due to being at work.  it looks like this should have been posted a while ago.  lol.))))

Eghas straightens form where he was working and turns around, slowing looking at everyone.  "Understand please.  MT intention was to draw the focus of everything to me.  using my demonic nature and the words of the infernal language to make them think i was that which i look like.  MY whole life i have heard the stories of what a Demon Lord was, and what they can do.  but i thought them just that... stories.  How foolish i was."

He turns to Quelten, and can not meet his eyes, even though he tries at first, finally he just lets his eyes fall to the sand before he speaks.  "Quelten, i am beyond remorseful for asking you to take part in something like that.  perhaps someday, you will find it in yourself to forgive one such as me." 

He then looks towards Barret.  "IF you would accept my company, i would be happy to help you track and hunt.  I may not be the ranger i always wanted to be anymore, but i think i still remember how to do that.  As for the rest of you, again, i am truly sorry for the trouble i have caused."

He then turns and starts to walk towards his gear to get ready to go hunting.

"Eghas, We might actually eat if you were to help I am not much of a hunter myself. I could stay and get the fire going for what ever you catch if either Innil or Elan'fal would be willing to go with you. Zem ask the boys come down here with us please. Reld I will help you out of your armor and then join you in the stream the salt water was not a good Idea." He laughs "Queltin if you would be so kind can you get help the boys find better clothes in what the enemy was carrying." He walks over to Reld to assist him getting out if his armor. "Reld, I also need to apologize  to you I was a bit bossy back there at the tower. Please forgive me and I will make amends by assisting you in and out of your armor when needed."

Satisfied that the boys have started to eat, Zemzelett strolls off into the big pile of gear the adventurers stripped from their slain foes.  Looking at the collection of 48 guard insignias, the half-elf shudders at the implications.  They took down a group of enemies that killed 48 Old Port guards - and escaped with their lives!  He collects them and stuffs all insignias into a pouch, and goes about salvaging anything that might be useful.

Take: 

1. Enough light crossbow bolts to replenish ammunition count to 20
  2. 48 Old Port Guard insignias, placed in a pouch
  3. Diary belonging to Pevel
  4. 1 rapier
  5. 1 set of thieves' tools
  6. Finely-crafted Viol worth 50 silver
  7. 16 Ravens, 13 Sparrows, 15 Griffins, and 2 Crowns.  If Currency is devalued, take 8 Ravens, 13 Sparrows, 12 Griffins, and 2 Crowns instead
  8. Magic dagger, magic amulet, magic ring

Noticing that Eghas and Barett are going hunting, Zemzelett takes the hunting trap and thrusts it in the ranger's hands.  "I can go for some veal!" the Half-Elf cheekily says.

Taking a long draught from his waterskin, Zem moves upstream and replenishes the water supply.  No way he's drinking the water he bathed in, no sirree.

With all tasks done, Zemzelett saunters back to the eating boys.  He watches them from the corner of his eye, trying to perceive their social status and capabilities based on body language and behavior.  All the while he idly flips through Pevel's diary for some entertainment.  Noticing that Vorador was still shooting dirty looks at Eghas, he calls his fellow half-elf over and gives him the magic artifacts: a ring, a dagger, and an amulet.

"Vorador, I'm not really good with magic stuff.  What do you think these do?"

"Just give me a sec please Eghas while I take some of this stuff you so nicely packed in to piles." He tells Eghas and selects some of the stuff from the pile.

1. healing potion

2. vial of antitoxin

3. tiger gems

4. expensive toy

"Okay I'm ready to go...and at some point I have to sit down and read this spell book I found earlier." He tells Eghas.

Vorador glances over at Zem, "hey, don't you think there should be some discussion over magic? Not that I want any of that, since i have no clue what it doesn and can't identify it, but magic should be split if you ask me." He then moves down to the beach and starts skipping sea shells.

***GM note the coins are minted, but there is no telling what kingdom you are in or how the coins will speand here***

Zemzelett snickers. "You think I was going to keep all of them? I don't even know what they do, and besides with my build, they'd probably weigh me down!"

Joining the half-elf at the beach, Zemzelett chucks a seashell at the surf.  "No, Vorador.  I just wanted to know what they do so our group can use them better.  I kind of thought you knew all sorts of stuff with magic after I saw what you did last night.  You were amazing - you took down four of the bad guys, and I took down none.  Where does an orphan learn that kind of stuff anyway?"