Into the Swamp of Bones!

Kyle Aarons

Eghas turns to Quelten and shakes his head.  "in the midst of battle is not the time to quibble over who is in charge.  I am not sure why you think i am in a position to tell Barret anything.  Especially since, as you so eloquently put it before, i am nothing but a Demon spawn."

He shakes his head as he helps the formerly bound child to his feet.  "My apologies Quelten that was uncalled for during a time of battle.  We must work together if we are to survive this.  You think that i should be in charge?  I disagree, but if it makes you feel better."  He turns towards the rest of the group.  "Elan'fal, please continue talking to the creatures inside, you will be the point of contact for them.  you know what our job is..." 

He then turns to Barret.  "Would you be so kind as to lead the combat, if there is going to be any combat.  You're orders WILL be followed immediately."  He then looks at the rest of the group.  "If anyone has an issue with this, we'll deal with it LATER!"

He then turns to the kid.  "I hear you are a wizard in training.  are you well enough to cast spells if needed?"

Eghas, you have been paying attention to the window where the crossbow bolt was fired out of, so you see the head of the halforc appear. You get off a shot that hits the halforc even as it takes aim at Gothan again. The bolt only misses the boy because you and Quelten are giving the boy some cover. Still the bolt hits only an inch fro the boy's right leg which only causes his eyes to go wide in fear. You also can't help but notice he is bleeding slightly from getting the spear tip to the back as he was pushed out of the tower and his face has multiple bruises. To say he is not in the greatest of shapes is a major understatement.

Reld moves to give the kid more cover as he stands between the boy and the window even as Vorador fires off another bolt of crackling crimson nastiness. This time the bolt hits the edge of the window and misses since he cannot focus in on the halforc with his pointing thing.

Barret, there are two windows on the lower level, but both have thick closed shutters on them that look pretty new. You occasionally see a hand in the window above the door, as someone is picking up and putting a couple of more large rocks on the ledge so they can quickly be pushed off on anyone trying to come through the door.

Innil, the trap door is pretty thick and even the heavy crossbow bolt starts to snap as you try to lever the door up. You are guessing it will take a short or long sword to do the job, and it very well may damage whatever you use (unless you have a piton and a hammer, hammer it in, and use that as a handle: or something else along those lines)

The Gnoll once again shouts out, "We will toss the head of one out without the body unless you agree!"

Innil sighs in frustration as the bolt snaps. Shaking his head he is glad he thought to grab two short swords. He pulls both out weighs them then puts one back into the scabbard he would pull from with his right hand and uses the other to pry up the trapdoor. He tries to be really quiet so as not to alert those inside the tower after that last call from the Gnolls.

"They're trying to kill him, we must bring him away from that window, away from the line of fire." Zemzelett says softly. What a silly half-orc; his gnoll compatriot is trying to bargain for their lives, and he is still shooting. Guess he was not informed.

The half-elf takes out his crossbow, lets loose a snap shot at the half orc by the window, and heads off to the side. He hasn't heard from the kind elf after his prodigious act of athleticism, and is concerned about the fighter's welfare.

Item interaction: Take out crossbow

Action: Crossbow bolt at window

Move: If Gothan agrees, move with him to the side of the tower, making sure to keep between him and the window. Otherwise, move towards the side of the tower, hugging to wall and staying away from windows.

Eghas grins as he looks around to the rest of the group.  He makes sure that his voice is loud enough to be heard inside the tower.  "Hell we got the one we came for.  tell them that they can keep the kids, but if they want to live, they through out the big pack of coin that the other idiots paid for this whelp.  with the coin we get for bringing the wizard brat back, and the coin in that pack.. i think we can let them walk away.  what do you guys say."

Barett Moves to the boy and plants his shield in front of him and tucks the kid behind it. "Vindayin mother of Elves use your ancient powers to sooth this childs pain" (Healing word)

He Looks over at Eghas, "Works for me, Lets pull the boy back and move out" He whispers to the boy. "Your safe now, I need to know everything you can remember about the inside of the tower."

The Gnoll makes some kind of yipping laugh at the suggestion the pack of coins gets tossed out to your group, "Those coins are hard earned and we will kill all four of these humans... no actually I think we have someone here who would like fresh meat, as in the kind that is still moving while being chewed on. How much do you want to hear them scream? No, you get no coin unless those you have been lucky enough to take down happen to have pouches on them! We give you two we keep two. I will even sweeten the offer, I will let one of the other two go when we have made it into the deep swamp and will give him a torch so he can find his way out and signal you for help! This is my final offer before you start hearing them scream."

Behind the shield Gothan sighs as he gets a healing spell cast on him. He still looks terrified but manages to speak, "Thank you sir! Um, we only saw the bottom level of the tower, but there is stone steps going up and we could hear others above us when they tossed us in the side room to the left of the main door. Oh, and when they opened to door to feed and water us I saw something else. There is a door under the steps that leads into a back room but I think I heard boots going down steps when the leader when though it."

You can tell he is still trying to process things as he continues. "The inside is in good shape and was set up with supplies and new furniture, firewood,  barrels of food, some equipment, and other stuff, but I didn't get much of a chance to see it all. I know enough to cast a couple of Cantrips, so they kept me tied up and gagged other than to feed me since I got one of the Orackin when it came into the room where we were hiding when the city feel. Reinlor and Luth teamed up to take down another, but then we all woke up with our hands being tied behind us. I think the Bugbear hit us with a spell... um or maybe the Halforc... I... um, so I didn't get to mover around much or see more than glimpses. Sorry..."

"Please, get the others out! Right after they took the palace, they fed Reinlor's sister to the beast they had with them while she was still alive. I think the would have feed him more, but the Bugbear and the big Gnoll stopped the others from taking more to him before the Bugbear ordered it to leave about a moon and a half ago, but it is in the tower! I saw it come out of the door under the stairs! Don't let them do that to the others!"  He then makes a pouting sound, "And they have my spell book! Can you get it back for me?"

Zemzelett stealthily reaches the tower base, and quietly maneuvers around it. While he is good with words, he can only hear yips, barks, and snorts. It's a wonder that the Sorcerer-Elf can even converse in that language, if it is even a language at all!  No, he can't help in the negotiations, whatever they are.  For now, it is best for him to stay hidden and see how things transpire. 

The half-elf silently motions towards Vorador to get his attention, puts a finger to his lip while mouthing "Shhh!", and beckons for him to hide in the shadows too.  While the others are making motions to withdraw, he senses from the performance so uncharacteristically put on by Eghas that it is merely a feint.

Move: Move towards base of tower at the side of the door and keeping between windows.
Action: Make stealth check to hide.

Barett waves everyone in closer to him and Whispers. "Elan'fal keep stalling tell them they can keep their coin but we want all four brats.do not put them in a position where they will accept until everyone is position. The Kids are being held in a room just to the left of the main door. There is some other creature in there too. Once everyone is position agree to their terms and when they open the door to release any of the kids then we rush them. Reld, Quelten get as close as you can to the main door without being seen you two are the first through the door. Quelten stick to Relds side and give him all the support you can Let these foul vermin know the wrath of Pelgrin and as it should be The Noble Lord Pelgrin and and Elf Queen Vindayin will have their voices heard as in times of lore. Voraden stick with them once they are through the door keep blasting the creatures with your dark arts, pound them back away from the hostages. Zem as soon as you can get all the kids and drag them here. Eghas stick with the assualt team and provide them covering fire. Cant anyone get a quiet message to Innil he needs to either get in or pull back. Eghas and I will stay here and keep them looking at us. I can still sprint from here to the door if needed. Reld, I know your fighting style is to show an audience how good you are by toying and playing with your enemy but we dont have an audience except the gods. Don't hold back remember these disgusting things have destroyed our lives so far, murdered and raped children, The feast on the flesh of newborns, The only glory here is the quick and complete destruction of these foul beasts. Queltin work with me here and after we are done I stand down and let whoever everyone choses lead and I will not get in the way. Everyone just nod, when we break up Zem and Vorodor act as though your taking the boy back to the horses for saftey use that as a cover. Zem make it a performance. If you see the chance to get us in there at any point dont hesitate take it but make damn sure everyone knows what your doing. When assaulting make as much noise as possible, yell scream, sing what ever, it throws them off. Lets get moving we dont have a lot of time."

Elan'fal nods his approval returns his attention to the tower. 

"I wonder...is the bugbear so injured that he takes commands from a Gnoll? Why is it I wonder that he does not come out to negotiate? A spellbinder that takes orders from a Gnoll? Maybe we killed him boys!" He says taunting the foes in the tower.

"Oh but we don't really care about the coin, or the boys. The legion hired us, yes that's right the legion that massacred all of you in Oldport hired US to come rescue the brat behind me...guess what? We have....I would like nothing more now than to leave here and never return but...Reld...well Reld you see he likes to kill Gnolls...likes taking their ears, oh sorry your ears as trophies but he has a sensitive heart so while we are able to hold him back for now, if you hurt those boys and while I don't give a rat's ass about them HE does and will storm in there and kill you all so in both our interests I have this proposal for you."

He tells them trying to intimidate or deceive them, whichever works better. Keeping their eyes all on him. He hopes the others are getting in place as he can't see behind him.

Then he looks up in the tower above the window of the Gnoll he is conversing with and sees innil trying to open the trapdoor while stealing glances down on them.

Moving his hands behind his back he casts Prestidigitation on the ground moving slowly small pebbles and rocks, levitating them slightly so that they spell "Get in fast but do not attack until we storm in from below." in moon elf language in an angle that only innil would make letters of them and not random pebbles here and there.

He holds it as long as he can.

All the while he continues to talk to the Gnoll.

"My proposal to you is this. Lay down your weapons and you can leave the tower unharmed with two hostages that you will later leave in the swamp with a torch so that we can find them. Don't let them go in the swamp and my friend over there..." He points to Eghas, "is an expert tracker and will find you sooner or later, then we will kill you and take the kids just for the fun of it. Let them go here or in the swamp and you can hold on to your lives and the coin. What say you?"

Actions:

Intimidation on Gnoll

Prestidigitation on ground so that only innil can see the message written in moon elf language.

Zemzelett listens in amusement as Elan'fal tries his best to impersonate a dog. Trying hard to prevent himself from breaking down in giggles after the Elf lets out a particularly smug-sounding growl, the half-elf bard sends a bit of bardic magic his way by chirping cryptic Elvish words like a cricket.

Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to aid Elan'fal's negotiation.

Before he gets into prying up the trapdoor with a short sword Innil peeks over the side just in time to see a message in his own language made from rocks. Innil grins then takes a bit of copper wire from a pocket and mumbles a cantrip while pointing at Elan'fal. He whispers, "I understand but having trouble getting in." Then returns to trying to get in.

Action: message cantrip

"Aww come on Boss!"  Eghas says in Gnoll, as he draws an arrow ready to fire at the first enemy he sees.  "we got the kid we need.  they obviously are able to put up much of a fight.  I mean they're cowering inside a broken down tower.  and look at how well the rest of this group did against us at first.  Hell i would lay odds that they could storm out of their tower, and none of them would make it five feet before they got killed.  They're nothing but a bunch of thugs who wouldn't know what to do against a real warrior, other than hide behind kids, and piss their pants."

He grins almost manically to the rest of his companions before he finishes up.  "i say fuck the kids we were only gonna sell them as slaves when we could.  Lets get in there... kill them all, take the big bag of coin, and go find us a place to relax for a while."  He laughs loudly as he slaps Quelten on the back.  "And hell we might find a nice brothel and get the young cleric laid for the first time!  Come on Boss, quit babbling to these idiots, and lets just kill 'em"

Quelten gives Eghas a dark look.  He didn't know what was just said, but the tone, the pat on the back...  "And what exactly did you just say about me?" he asks suspiciously, then glances at the kid.

"And how much longer are you going to need to cut yourself loose?" he asks the kid.

Gothan continues to struggle with dagger, "I'll get it but my arms are all numb. They have been tied for a couple for at least a couple of days straight now, since they knew the city was about to be over run. The scouts they had out told them as much. The Bugbear moved us out of the palace as soon as the Legion scouts started moving around to secure a path to Old Port, and moved us to where we were in the sewers that go out to the sea by the docks. Since the bay is still partially frozen, we were taken over the melting ice and up to the trail on the north side of the city. The Legion didn't cover this at all for some reason and they got us out without having to face anyone. We did pass by a band of Gnolls, Orcs, Goblins and to huge beasts as they forced us up to the hills toward the swamp and the Bug Bear ordered them to hold and not let anyone follow. Two Goblins came a couple of hours ago saying the whole group had been killed, but the Legion fell back too hurt to continue. I don't know what happened to the goblins, since after the report the door where we were being kept was closed and the Bugbear told others to show them out, but the way he said it... well, it made me think it was not going to go well for the Goblins."

While all this is going on Innil, you manage to jam the short sword into the gap just enough to pry up the door, but as expected it damages the blade (still usable, but a -1 to hit and damage until repaired). As you pull up the door a little further, you see the young Gnoll lying at the bottom of the steps. It is moaning. Also from where you are at, you can see a door to the left of the steps and can hear something cursing in a language you don't know. It sounds like it is coming from under the stone steps going down. The room below you is lit by two light sources, one out of sight to the right, and the second is a torch in a sconce right next to the door you can see. 

Eghas, you see the Halforc as it comes into view with it's bow ready. It fires at Rled, since he is standing right in front of  Gothan and the young gladiator blocks it with his shield while flipping the Halforc off with the morning star still clenched in his other hand. you fire back at it at almost the same instant Vorador does and you both hit. Neither hit does much damage, but it sure gets a string of curses out of the Halforc as it spins out of view again.

At this point Innil gets just a glimpse of a Halforc with an arrow in its right shoulder, another in its right side, and blood leaking out of it's mouth. The creature is wearing a chain shirt and is wearing a backpack. The half Orc shouts out in Gnoll, "Twitch, get your ass up there and start shooting them, they are killing me here!" Even those out by Gothan hear this.

The Gnoll again shouts out, "You stand no chance of getting the money! None! We will go one better, though, since you are so war pig headded! You get three kids to do as you wish with and we keep one. We have the Count's brat, you can have him and sell him back for good coin so you not need ours! Last offer or we start throwing out body parts of one of the brats!"

the shutter opens to the left of the door as you face the tower and you see a boy of about 13 in the window. Someone is holding his right arm out of sight and the other arm is tied to something and is in clear view. you can see a sword move and hover above the outstreched arm even as the kid screams and pleads for them not to take off his armbefore someone carefully moves behind him and pulls up the gag. The Gnoll shots out yet again, "Now agree or have this one's arm tossed out to you. No more of your bravado dragon shit!"

Zem you are only a few yards away from the window...

Vorador also races up to the towerand flatten's he back against it while another face, this time a Gnoll, appears in the window above the door and fires a bolt at Eghas. The bolt skips off the armor, missing doming damage to you by a few studss of armor.

Barett reaches down and grabs the dagger from the kid and finishes cutting the ropes. Since quelton ignored the plan altogether and is still standing there he says to him. "Be a good little boy and watch the child." I try to move towards the window from an angle that prevents to creature in the window from seeing me.  If I have a clear shot on the creature holding the kid hostage I will use Sacred Flame

Eghas pats Quelten on the back again, and whispers to him in common.  "When i start chanting, i need you to make me glow with a dark red or purple color, can you do that?"  While he has a grin on his face, he is speaking very seriously.  Quelten nods, and starts to cast his cantrip.  (Rilbur has agreed to this is PM)

Eghas moves a few feet away then speaks in Gnoll.  "That's it... it's time to end this."

He then switches to Infernal, speaking loudly and clearly, making the language sound even more demonic then it already was. 

"Lord Kryplok!  Master of the deep levels of Hell, Lord of Punishment.  I offer up the souls of those who dare to stand against us.  Take them to your halls, and show them the err of their ways."  As Eghas starts to glow with a deep red color, he raises his voice louder.  "MASTER!  Come forth and show these insolent fools what happens when they dare to defy one of YOUR Chosen!"

**Pausing here to see if there is any reaction yet**

As The lightshow starts and the words emerge from Eghas, lightning flashes though the sky in a thousand forks radiating  outward from above Eghas. You can see terror on the face of Eghas even as the power builds and causes all of your skin to itch from head to toe. You could all swear your strands of hair even start to itch as some unfathomable power has accidentally been tapped into or has awoken. At the same time the holy smybol on Quelten, who helped with this light show, glows brightly for a few seconds then literally melts the blob of spinng metled metal then suddnly reshapes into a smybol of a bull breathing flames: At the same time the teachings of Pelgin are ripped out of Quleten and replaced with that of Mithras. An acient and all but forgotten god of nature's fury and of Warriors. Even as this happens you, Quelton, realize this is actaully an entity that Pelgin used to worship before he acended and took power from the all but forgotten entity. For better or worse, you know Pelgin gave you up to this forgotten god rather than try to fight him here, a place of great importance to Mithras for unfathomable reasons.

At the same time Eghas you crumple to your keens as waves of unfathomable knowledge sinks into you. All around you see minor demonspawn of Kryploc try to from to make you one of his demon priests, but he power of something deeper and even more ancient surges and rips them asunder before they can come to take you. At the same time ancient secrets of  this even more ancient power, one worshiped and then usurped by Mithras, flows into you and you gain some power from this as well as an deep desire to find out more of this new power source. In the middle of your mind you hear whispers letting you know little more than a name: Enumclaw.

Even as this is imparted into Eghas, the rest of you hear the name in your head "ENUMCLAW!"

From the tower, terrified faces look out the windows and four bolts are fired at Eghas in an attempt to halt this sudden and terrifying flow of power, but it comes too late.

Bolts of lightning rip from the sky once again, not just hitting the tower but totally shattering it into bits and pieces which spray outward and then nothing...

you all wake as the sky turns from back to orange. Your heads are pounding and as you pull yourselves up you feel a warm breeze, the whispering of light waves hitting a beach, and the moans of four children just up the hill from you. As you pull yourselves up, one thought or otherworldly voice resonates though your minds, "Enumclaw bids you all good travel, and has yanked you out of the Swamp of Bones before Kryploc's minons could come for you. What in this life or the next would prompt you to call forth, even in jest, Kryploc in a place known for undead? Enumclaw found this too humorous not to interfear and sent me, one of the last of his minions to your aid. Do not ever again expect such interventions... Oh, yes... and you are welcome!"

You are on a beach with palms swaying in a gental breeze, a stream comming off a rocky low mountian to the east, and water out to the west. All your gear is with you and your horses are grazing on some grass next to the stream.

You are all now second level.

Off to the side, Vorador stands and wobbles for a moment then looks over at Eghas, "Really? You call for Kryploc in the Swamp of Bones in Infernal? Really?"

Snowfest! Zemzelett has looked forward to the festival ever since he heard the Cantertrot Performance Troupe was going to be at the City of Old Port during the week of the festival. He’s skimped and saved for the opportunity to join the orgy of tax-free bargains galore. His heart was set on a pair of exquisitely-crafted hand crossbows he’s seen on a previous visit, many moons ago.

At that time, he didn’t have the means, and his parents didn’t see it fit to outfit a scrawny 15-year old equivalent with such potentially-lethal weapons. Now, all those months of doing more than his fair share of work, and a fair smattering of odd jobs (writing paeans to vain folk soon became tiresome) have finally given the youngster enough coin to afford his prize.

Oh, the crossbows were still there, albeit selling for slightly more now. It was the first thing the half-elf checked after the Troupe's caravan arrived. He didn't have quite enough, but with the lowered taxes on Snowfest, his savings should just barely suffice.

It was admittedly a little frustrating to have to wait for the midday repast – he had to perform after all. But still, having waited over two years, what’s a morning, especially to a longer-lived half-elf?

The morning was quite chilly. The streets were starting to fill up with people, more of which were interested in spending coin than watching some carnival show. Still, there were enough children (and their unwilling parents), that it was worthwhile to hold a show at the city square. The show was about to start, with Zemzelett changing into his colorful acrobatic garb, when horns blared throughout the city.

Startled, the half-dressed half-elf stumbled out of the tent, more than a little confused at the goings-on. The City Watch barked orders to close down the gates: a group of gnolls descended from the mountains adjacent to the city, and are mounting a spirited charge. It was a futile act – traitorous Orakin garbed as traders infiltrated the city and held the southern gates open.

The city descended into chaos as the gnolls poured into the hapless city. The count’s soldiers mounted a spirited defense, but the invaders inexorably penetrated into the city block by block. Most of the orders barked by Cantertrot’s chief went unheeded, as performers and civilians alike fled for the now-congested west and north gates.

Zem was about to give in to the panic and join the crush when his father grabbed hold of him. “We won’t make it in time! We must head underground to have a chance of avoiding the fighting!” The man was right – already the sounds of swords clashing and last gasps of the dying are growing louder than the panicked screams of the fleeing.

Zemzelett, his father, and his mother rushed towards an open sewer just across the marketplace. The overpowering stench assaulted Zem’s senses, and he started to feel nauseous. The firm grip his father had on his arm kept him from fainting, although it was clear the man was smelling the stench as well.

The entrance was clogged with recent garbage - although the festival starts today, the population of Old Port had swelled in the past week as many travelers and merchants came to the city. Even after holding his nose and finally breathing through his mouth, it was quite the challenge for the half-elf to cast aside the obstructions.

A yip and a snarl from behind signaled to the family that they were no longer alone – a gnoll wielding a nasty-looking battle-axe was merely a few pages away, it's dog like face salivating gleefully at its prey. Raising the axe high above its head, the creature charged forward and aimed squarely ar the half-elf’s torso. Left with no time to react and few options left, Zemzelett instinctively brings his arms upward to block the strike. With eyes shut in terror, he braces himself for the pain that he knows will be the last thing he ever feels. His bladder respond in kind, with a yellowish puddle trickling through his loincloth into the trash-strewn ground.

Zemzelett screams, but the pain never came.

Instead, he awakens.

(present day)

What in the name of the gods was that? One moment, it was nighttime, and the Stink Brigade was trying to negotiate with Gnoll hostage takers. Then the human disguised as a demon, together with the young nobleman cleric put on a light show. The little cantrip suddenly took a life of its own as the human levitated and started to glow like a demon. Was he a real demon after all? Are the demon lords involved in the affair?

And now, the day is breaking, and they are out here in the middle of who knows where. Zemzelett has never felt so small in his life.

Rising unsteadily to his feet, the half elf notices after his headache subsided that all his force has been replenished. He even felt a little stronger, as if the power that swirled around him somehow rubbed off on him. One word echoes around his head, Enumclaw". What in the gods' names is an Enumclaw? Is it an anagram of some sort? New Cum La? Uncle Maw? Claw Menu? Thinking about maws and menus is making him hungry - they have had a long and harrowing night.

Zemzelett looks over to his companions. It seems like the humans responsible for the fireworks display are already up and bickering (the young master seemed more than a little upset about something). Leaving that altercation for the others to sort out, the curious half-elf decides to scout a bit, and try to ascertain where they are and whether they are alone. And maybe munch on some rations along the way.

Knowledge Check: What is an Enumclaw?

Scout around the area, heading off towards the hill.

Eat 1x Rations.