Into the Swamp of Bones!

Kyle Aarons

Quelten, knowing he can't take another blow like that, sets himself between the Eghas and the attackers.  "I'll cover you," he says grimly.  "Go get the child.  On your honor, do you hear me?"  Having stated his intention, Quelten turns his full attention to the attackers and bellows once more.  "In Pelgrim's name!"  He touches his holy symbol and invokes the power of Pelgrim to heal himself.  (Cast Cure Wounds)

Eghas doesn't even respond to Quelten, he turns, knocks another arrow, sends off a prayer, aims and fires.  hoping that his luck will hold out.  hoping that he will not either miss, or hit the kid.  what he is really hoping for though is that his arrow finds something vital, and forces the creature to stop fleeing further into the woods.  if he doesn't stop him with this shot, he can not continue.  he knows all to well that charging after an enemy alone is foolish, and suicidal.  As soon as he has a shot, he takes it.

Elan'fal sees the dire situation Quelten and Eghas are in so with barely any thought he unleashes another fire bolt at the orc Quelten is fighting hoping that he'll catch it with a hit from behind and deal severely more damage and then breaks cover from behind the rubble and runs towards the fleeting orc and Eghas. Leaving him alone with that beast would not be a good idea in his injured state.

Action: Fire bolt cantrip to orc fighting Quelten from behind. (I'm guessing its from behind since the orc will be facing Quelten?)

Move: to Eghas and fleeting orc running.

Chaos, everything has exploded with chaos with most of the Stink Brigade attempting to intercept the fleeing horned orc.  Zemzelett moves as to pursue, but soon the creature will be out of range.  He has time for one spell - one spell which may be able to help his allies bring down the creature.

Focusing on the arcane energy that now pulses around his hand, Zem enters a bardic trance.  Pointing a finger at the creature holding the boy hostage, he binds the power with an Elvish incantation and unleashes it with the last syllable:

"Let foes in flight be scoured with light!

Shine as a beacon in the night!

Serrif!  Grant me thy luck-blessed might!

My friends - press on!  Win us this fight!"

As the energy of the spell leaves the half-elf's body, he slumps forward involuntarily, drained of a good portion of his force and barely able to keep standing.  "I am spent.  The rest is in your hands. All I can do now is to bring up the rear for Innil and Vorador."  The half-elf briefly wonders how his fellow half-elf can still stand so nonchalantly after the expenditure of such magic energy - his reserves must truly be extraordinary!

Move: Move the minimum possible amount such as to still be able to reach the horny orc with the spell.

Action: Cast Faerie Fire on fleeing horned orc, and only the orc.

Resources left: 1x L1 spell slot, 1x Bardic Inspiration

Innil is torn about what to do but his allies seem to be holding their own for now and he will be no good to them dead. Therefore he turns his attention to the opening trap door, readies another fire bolt cantrip and pulls a short sword out with his right hand. As soon as the door is open enough he sends the fire bolt and drops into a ready stance.

Quelton casts a cure on himself and does great, totally healing himslef . This does get the full attention of the Orcs by him

Eghas shoots at the fleeing creature and hits but still the creature does not fall or even falter much so he moves a little close in hopes of getting off another shot, but without getting too far away from the group.

Elan'fall, you totally miss with your fie bolt and it hits a distant tree even as Elan'fal moves to close in on the fleeing creature.

Barrett, you once again unleash a sacred flame doing some damage to the creature. It starts to look at you with a nasty snarl, showing fangs in its mouth.

Zem you move closer to the fleeing creature and launch a faerie fire. The area around the creature glows as does the boy and the creature. This will allow for easier shooting on it and allow anyone who wishes to do so the follow, even through the deeper woods and scrub of this area of the swamp.

Innil you wait until the trap door flips up and a gnoll appears it looks at you with wide eyes, clearly not expecting anyone up on the tower let alone a hostile. This allows you to get off a nice easy shot (give you advantage) the fire bolt hits for max . The young looking gnoll looks stunned and hurt so it continues to just look at you minus a lot of fur as if it is just too surprised to make any kind of decision you get a free action on him because of this and are able to swing your sword at him and hit. This snaps it out of its stupor. It reaches up, grabs the door and starts to shut it wile going back down the stairs it is on. You will get one more action next round before the creature can slam the trap door so let me know what it is.

Reld sends a sideways glance at Barrett as if a bit annoyed at someone taking away some of his fun. He swings at the creature and hits hard this time, real hard. It doesn't take the creature down, but certainly staggers it some.

From slightly behind and off to the right a third crimson crackling bolt erupts form Vorador and slams into the creature Reld just hits. While not the devastating type of hits he did on his first two, it still hits and still is impressive. The creature crumples and its long sword falls out of its hand.

Reld looks back at Vorador with an almost pouting expression, "Aww, come on! You stole a chicken monkey! That was my kill!

Vorador points at the two Orcs on Quelten, "Don't worry none, there be more! I'll take the one on the left!" He then mutteres again, "Great Baruel, find me the flaw in that one" and points yet again.

With the creature having fallen, the fleeing one turns with wide eyes and shouts out in Orcish, "To me! To Me! Come, time to leave! Let Master know of this!" He then throws the bound kid in Eghas' direction. The kid hits the ground hard and you think you hear a light whimper escape as he slams into the ground. "You take, me live!" At the same time the two Orcs take wild swings at Quelton, both of which just miss and move toward the creature.

Seeing the kid thrown Elan'fal stops running after the orc and heads to Eghas and the kid. As he moves he fires another firebolt at the orcs standing to fight Vorador and Reld.

Action: Firebolt to Orcs near Vorador and Reld.

Move: To Eghas and the bound boy.

Zemzelett briefly turns to the half elf warlock and flashes a thumbs up. "Nice shooting! That's three you just took out tonight!"

Still somewhat winded, the half-elf follows the fleeing horned orc in order to maintain the effects of the Faerie Fire.  He takes careful aim at the fleeing figure and looses a crossbow bolt.

Move: Move closer towards Gothan.

Action: Attack horned orc with light crossbow.  If horned orc is too far away, target the most-hurt orc instead.

Lost in the fury of battle, Quelten doesn't immediately comprehend Barret's order to break off.  Having seen the child hit the ground, he instead charges forward to cover the boy.  His spare hand touches his holy symbol again as he glares at the fleeing orcs.  "Burn," he hisses, a prayer he is unable to more fully articulate past his rage.  "Burn him, Pelgrim!"

Action:  Move to stand near the child with the intent of recovery and protection

Spell:  Sacred Flame on the injured fleeing orc.

Up on the tower, Innil launches a fire bolt down on the Gnoll as it tries to get away. The flaming dart hits the gnoll and sends it tumbling down the steps, but the trap door slams shut since there is no longer a hand holding it up. You move up to the trap door and find there is no handle to lift it with.

Elan'fal you launch another firebolt, hitting the injured Orc and dropping him even as he gets closer to the kid.

Since the injured Orc falls moments before Zem gets his shot off, he switches targets and shoots at the other Orc. You have no idea were the bolt goes, but it was such a poor shot, the Orc doesn't even realize it had been shot at.

Quelten also focuses in on the Orc and does some damage.

Reld notices this and moves up on the Orc and swings with a massive blow that sends blood and grey matter splattering over some nearby trees. He shouts back at Barret who is rapidly moving toward the door, "There! Messy enough for you?"

Back and to the right of Reld, Vorador drops to a knee and grumbles, "the hell with finding a weakness, his is nice and lit!" he then fires off yet another crimson crackling bolt. It hits the badly wounding creature and drops it. Vorador then moves up so the trussed up kid can clearly see him, "Spit on me again, Gothan, and the next Eldrich blast I release will be straight up your ass!"

From out of the window the one Orc was in, a Half Orc appers and fires a crossbow down, just missing Gothan.

Barret you make it to the door only to get a large rock dropped on you from the window above. It does 4 points of damage.

From inside, a Gnoll voice shouts out in Gnoll, You come in, we kill them. You let us go with two we give you two!"

That was such a horrible shot, Zemzelett fervently hoped nobody saw it.  That would be the very definition of fail which Elan'fal whispered to Innil about.  But it matters not.  All hostiles have been incapacitated.  All that's left to do is rescue Talarc and he can get back to looking for his family.

"All right, Gothan, steady now.  Have to get you to cover.  I know it is kind of sudden, but if there is anything you can tell us about that tower, it will help us save your friends.  Where were you being kept?  Any secret passages, tunnels, hidden doors, or any other way in?" Zemzelett speaks in a friendly and reassuring tone, fighting to keep his contempt of the budding wizard under check.  Still, he could not disguise his body language which plainly states that he has no problem handing Gothan over to Quelten or Vorador's tender mercies especially if the boy starts whining about the stink.

Item Interaction: Stow crossbow

Move: Move towards Gothan, and if there are enough movement points left, move with him into cover while shielding him from the window.

Action: Cut Gothan's gag and the rope tying his feet with Quelten's dagger.

Attempt Persuasion: Me Zemzelett.  Me friend.

Quelten moves to cover the kid, then sets his warhammer down long enough to cut the kid's hands free with a dagger.  Handing the dagger over, he picks his hammer back up and returns his attention to the tower.  "Cut yourself the rest of the way loose," he orders harshly, looking for any threats he can act against.

Barett Shakes off the rock thrown at him looks at the motley group as they blunder about. "GET YOUR ASSES UP HERE NOW!!!! YOU IN THE TOWER RELEASE ALL YOUR PRISONERS AND WILL NOT HARM YOU." He places his hand on his head. "Vindayin Great Mother use your will and light to bind my injuries" (Healing Word) He looks to find cover from more rocks above.

Zemzelett shakes his head upon hearing the bossy cleric's instructions. Fighting alongside these clerics has caused the half-elf to reach one inescapable conclusion.  Speaking in a tone only loud enough to reach Quelten's ears, he mumbles to himself, "Always charging forward, always talking in threats, always swearing... If I didn't know any better, I'd think we have barbarians instead of clerics!"

Not that he disliked barbarians.  In fact, after having tasted combat for the first time (but failing to get his own kill) he admires their willingness to fling themselves in the middle of combat.  Possibly sacrificing their life and limb to save squishy spellcasters and ranged combatants such as himself.

Quelten looks sidelong at Zemzelett, and replies just loudly enough to be heard.  "I am a warrior of  Pelgrim," he states testily, "as well as a Beurden of Beurden.  It is appropriate and necessary for me to place myself in the thick of battle, and call upon my god while doing so.  That said, however useful and necessary a battle cry is, Barret is going about this all fucking wrong.  If we weren't in combat I'd probably hit him over the head with my hammer a few times to get his attention.  The idiot.  More than a few times, he's clearly got rocks for brains so he won't notice very quickly."  Quelten takes a deep break.  "Threats like that are counterproductive, at best.  It's like he doesn't have a fucking clue how to negotiate."

"Eghas," Quelten says loudly enough for Eghas to hear him, "Maybe you should take over negotiations before Barrett's approach gets all the hostages killed.  Or direct me to do so."

Zemzelett blanches upon hearing Quelten's rejoinder.  The young master Quelten Beurden of Beurden was not intended to hear that!  Yes, his ears pricked up earlier upon hearing the young cleric invoke the name Beurden in his heroic charge.  But now was outright confirmation from the young man's lips.  He was Beurden of Beurden - there was no mistaking which family he belongs to.  And although he's never met any of the family members before today, Zem knows that the Troupe master is on good terms with them.  He should be careful not to alienate Quelten and his family - which never held a grudge for too long - woe often betides those they bear a grudge against (not that anyone can say they were responsible for said woes).  Perhaps the best way to curry favor is to accede to all of the young master's future wishes.

Still, the half-elf grins to himself.  His earlier postulate regarding cleric behavior has been validated - not only did young Quelten clearly threaten to bash in Barett's head with a hammer, he insulted the elder cleric and used a profanity that's gotten Zem's mouth washed quite a few times by his mother.  The young bard also finds it humorous for a cleric - someone who is utterly devoted to their deity that they take a vow of celibacy - to twice use the word for copulation as a swear word.

Note: Oh, the fun I'm going to have playing Zem as a sycophant and feeding Quelten's ego.

"Great time to Start an argument Quelton. You're a Cleric not a noble and Novice I am a more senior Cleric, get off your High horse and do as your told before your pampered ass gets all of us killed. And if you must know I was born of House Duranthall. So you can stop throwing Your petty noble name around. Now get your ass up here"

Seeing the kid released and Quelten and Eghas having secured it Elan'fal stops and heads over closer to the tower. 

"Screaming is no way to lead I would think. Let us not have them kill the hostages young one. Even though we simply do not care about the kids. No, after all their fathers have them already scratched off as dead and I am thinking are already fucking their wives for new and more children so the kids are entirely and completely useless to us, hey even maybe more useful dead since they could not be used in whatever evil schemes your master is making? Oh...your master...yes he would NOT be very happy with you for having killed the only easy-to-get mages around for miles and delay his plans. Who knows? He may even resort to hiring the legion on your sorry asses just to prove a point." Elan'fal says very calmly and yet with authority in his tone of voice previously not displayed or witnessed by others. He speaks Gnolish loud enough to be heard even by those in the tower. His understanding of the language is not entirely fluent but he can both understand and speak it.

"Think this over in there in your crumbing ruin of a tower, you have at least two groups of people if not more that desire your immediate and instant death and right now I am the only one trying to get you out of there unharmed and not utterly and completely dead. You have fought admirably well so far, who knows if their parents get their kids alive after all they might even see your value as bodyguards for them and hire you. I mean someone who can kidnap someone is the perfect bodyguard. But If I was in there with you I would not want my leader to be actively trying to A) try to kill our only bargaining chip and B) Force the guys trying to kill me and have proven they can to storm the tower and kill me. What say you you give us some of the boys unharmed and unspoiled in an act of good will so that we can can continue these negotiations in a better footing that gets both of us what we want?" He finishes talking to those in the tower and turns his attention to his newfound group.

"Now that is how you start negotiations when you don't want the hostage takers to kill the hostages in my mind! Give them something to think, threaten them without actually threatening them, have those in there challenge their leader and maybe kill him and give you what you want that the leader did not, try to deceive them, intimidate them and persuade them to give you what you want while believing that you have their best interest at heart. Oh and also...for the love of whatever god you believe in don't show your hand at what you want from them!! "release the hostages and I will not harm you?" Really? As if you have not harmed them already? As if you do not already want them dead? Pushing them further in a corner will only get them more agitated and likely to kill the fucking brats. And if they do that it is no coin for us whatsoever!" He says loud enough to be heard by those in his group around him but DEFINITELY not loud enough to be heard by ANYONE in the tower or above it or on it.

He turns his attention back to the tower and placing the short staff on the ground as a show that he does not intent to harm them he steps closer to it but keeping close to some rubble just in case they decide to fire upon him so that he can take cover and waits for their leader's answer.