Into the Swamp of Bones!

Kyle Aarons

As the group decides on a frontal assault, Zemzelett stows his shortsword and instead brings out the crossbow the kind elf brought for him.  While he's learned the flourishes of two-handed swordplay as part of his performance career, his techniques are flashy.  That would work well for theatrics, but may not be practical in real combat.  At best, the scrawny half-elf would be a minor irritant for the dog-headed beasts - a single hit would probably maim him - or worse.  "No, far best to let the warriors and clerics handle it while I stay at range," he muses.  "I'll just stick close to the kindly elf-sorcerer."

Under most circumstances, he would break out into yet another reprise of "Stink Brigade".  Somehow, it struck the half-elf as unwise to announce their arrival in so brazen a manner, notwithstanding their full-frontal assault is brazen indeed.  The half-elf shakes his head at the audacity of their approach, but there is little he can do about it - might as well go through with it.  All will be well.

Innil brings up his bow ready to shoot, "Zem, let Eghas and I shoot first then if one of our arrows fails to kill you fire."

To the rest of the group, "I am also proficient with my swords and can join the melee if necessary. However, if you want and the tower seems stable enough for you I think I can reach that window and slip inside while you assault the door. Everyone needs to watch for the bugbear spell-caster; he is the one we must stop."

"Three different sources of light when they should be staying quiet and try to avoid attention? Why...? One of the candles in the rooms may be the boys, then what is the other one...? A big fire in the open...why? Anyone can see it for mil...." Elan'fal is thinking out loud when he freezes.

"Things are not what they seem. They are either calling for reinforcements or already have them. Either way they do not seem at all worried which worries me. And if they knew we were coming and asked for reinforcements then it means a lot more ominous things....it can mean that there's a traitor in the ranks of the legion, but no one would betray the legion for mere gnolls alone no matter the payoff, which in turn means that a lot larger things are afoot and we are stuck thick in the middle of it." He says louder and then turns to Eghas.

"I'll come with you, I am almost useless when it comes to hand-to-hand combat but I can cast magic from afar and make them sorry they were ever born."

Then he turns walks to Innil and whispers to him in the Moon Elf tongue.

"I do not know what is going on but i like it not, watch out for the oversized human we got stuck with and look after our newfound friends....Zem is frail, Barrett is way too prideful and Quelten is a noble...all traits that can turn from good to bad in an instant." Then he turns to normal Elven tongue. "See you on the other side!" He says and goes with Eghas.

For much of his life, Zemzelett has excelled in everything he cared to apply himself into. With one glaring exception: physical exploits. Try as he might, he could never muster much physical strength or level of athleticism. His parents told him he was perfect the way he is, and that they were proud of him, yet the half-elf always felt his father was silently disappointed at his overall lack of physical prowess.

But the youngster was far from helpless. Indeed, Zemzelett had entertained the notion of training as a rogue - his frame and nimbleness seem a natural match. His parents flatly vetoed the idea - no offspring of theirs was going to grow up as a dishonorable thief or cutthroat as rogues were wont to be, they firmly declared. And so it was that he trained as a bard instead.

The qualifications that would have made him a good rogue also allowed him to overhear the conversation the elves held with each other. Although the wood elf spoke in an unfamiliar dialect, Zem could still make out his name and the elvish word for fail.

Zemzelett has always been underestimated physically, a fact that has irked the half elf. Only the knowledge that these well meaning strangers meant no malice and were just concerned for his welfare caused him to hold his tongue.

I won't fail, the young half elf resolved to himself. Clutching his crossbow tightly, he is all the more determined to prove himself and succeed. You may need my crossbow, brother elf, he thinks as he steals a glance at Innil, and I mean not to disappoint you. I know these creatures can survive volleys of arrows and my bolts can only help!

Quelten growls in frustration.  "Eghas, you idiot, you need to spend more time thinking about what I just said.  I didn't say 'this is a trap'.  I said, they want to be found.  Maybe they plan to trap us, but they just ran the hell away from a large army.  It seems doubtful they're planning on having a small party of novice adventurers show up that they can easily trounce.  They have to be planning for a larger, more experienced group to find them.  Which means possibility one, that they have reinforcements in the vicinity and the fire is so said reinforcements can find them.  Possibility two..."  Quelten trails off and looks at them, shaking his head.  "Nevermind.  Possibility two is the giant 'we don't know something we need to know'.  Maybe they're a diversion.  Maybe they want to be killed, as bait for a trap.  Gods only know.  But you guys are focusing all your attention to the front, so I'm going to keep my eyes and mind on the flanks and rear."

Quelten laughs.  "Maybe we'll get lucky, and the giant 'We don't know' is just that they're stupid.  But as stupid as gnolls and bugbears usually are, they wouldn't build a fire unless they had a reason.  And if that reason isn't warmth or food, it almost has to be-"  Quelten breaks off mid sentence.  "I was going to say beacon, but do any magical ceremonies involve bonfires?"

Keeping the horses behind the hill you moved out. Eghas quickly realizes that if you come in from downwind, not the back hand side, you will not be able to see the Gnolls behind the rubble of the tower nor will you be able to see the front door, so he elects to take you all around the side. As you get your first view of the once massive tower, you can't help but find this to be totally out of place, but the description given was very good. However, as you approach from the side, Eghas and Innil spot something else you could not see from the front since part of the third level of the tower sticks up in the front. But form the side, in the direction the top part of the tower fell many, many years ago, there is little to nothing sticking up. This allows you can make out yet another Gnoll who is hunkered down and looking out toward the front of the tower and he has a heavy crossbow, a massive weapon that could easily kill with a single shot.

Realizing this has to be a primary target, since the other tow Gnolls are heating something over the fire, Eghas and Innil Drop thier origanal plan and prepare to fire at the Gnoll up on the tower. You both pull back your bow strings when you hear Elan'fal hiss out a warning just loud enough for you to hear. Confused at first, but heading the warning, you release the tension on your bowstrings while still holding on to your arrows.

It is then that you see a pair of creatures you have never seen the likes of before come out of the woods and make their way toward the fire. The two figures look like Orcs, but are thinner, taller, more agile looking, and have a single horn in the front of their heads One holds up a large medallion which looks to be made of silver and is the shape of bear-looking thing with horns holding a massive axe in its paws.

It speaks in a langue many of you don't know but Quelten and Reld do and translate softly for you.

The creature holding the medallion shouts out, "Yous, you lights the fire! Yous has what the master demands?"

A voice, deep and mean sounding responds from the tower, "We do! Where is our payment?"

The creature not holding the medallion pulls off a pack and shakes it back and forth. It sounds like metal on metal, you guess coin, and a lot of it.

The front door opens and a small amount of light spills out, but since you came in from the side, you cannot see into the tower. A single figure is pushed out. It appears to be a child of about 12 years of age, but his hands are behind his back and thick heavy ropes keep his upper arms tight to his side. A nasty looking cloth is in his mouth and wraps around the back of his head. Finally his feet are tied with a length of rope attached to both ankles with just enough room between them for him to shuffle. Seeing the two creatures the figure seems to balk but a spear comes out the door and pokes him. If he was not gagged you know by his violent jerk he would have probably screamed. The poke is enough to get him moving forward so you can get a better view as the big fire fully illuminates his features.

This is when Vorador whispers, "Gothan, he's the wizard apprentice I was telling you about..."

Before more can be said by Vorador, the creature who has the pack moves up, roughly pulls up the boy's chin so he can get a good look since it is a good foot and a half taller than the boy, and tosses down the pack. "Oh, master be happy with this! One more to the pool! now two need we to find! This further his plans. Having this blood well worth the loss we suffer in taking worthless city!"

Reld looks over at the rest of you with total confusion as he relates the words, clearly not at all understanding what is going on, other than know the words spoken. "Ok, now what? He is not the one we need, so do we let them go or fight those... those... um... things too?"

"I would prefer to save all the youth if possible. I think this is the unknown Quelten warned about. What are these creatures? We need to take action quickly though if we are to save this one." Innil whispers and trains his bow on one of newcomers waiting the others' decision.

Zemzelett is torn between wanting to help the young wizard, and completing their mission with due haste so he can reunite with his family.  He studies the orc-like creatures before him, and scrunches his eyes in concentration.  He is pretty sure he's heard whispers and rumors of intelligent monsters such as these, but can't quite place it at the moment.

Attempt a knowledge check on the monsters

Attempt a perception check to scan area for any more intelligent orc thingies

After pondering it over, Zem remembers that the young boy has treated his half-elf friend Vorador poorly, and his heart hardens.  "We are not here for him, so I say we let them have him.  But if we are to save him, we must do so as fast as possible!" he hisses to the group.  His hand flies to the crossbow; he loads a bolt and takes careful aim at the druid's throat.  Although clearly he doesn't want to engage this new enemy, he is nonetheless determined not to fail.

Disclaimer: Zergrinch likes to think he is a heroic person who likes to save everyone, and takes no personal responsibility for the morality exhibited by Zemzelett.

"We will have to take out the heavy crossbow, as well as the orc things as quickly as we can.  They obviously need that boy for something, and frankly, i think it would be best to deny them that."  Eghas says quietly, as he draws his bow, and aims at the orc with the heavy crossbow.  He takes his time to aim, but waits for the order before firing

Barett looks at Reld and Quelten and whispers "can we take those two with Eghas." The. He looks at the rest "all arrows on the crossbowman don't stop firing until he is down. Everyone watch for the spell caster. Eghas fire once at the gnoll with the crossbow than shift fire to horned creatures. if the caster shows up shift fire to him. Are we ready?" He looks each member in the eyes and waits for an acknowledgement.

Elan'fal sighs and decides to ignore Quelten for now. He was the first one to point out the existence of the three different sources of light after all.

"Let them have him, we can't fight all them at once, we still do not know how many of them are in total, inside the tower included. Let them have him, them track them in the forest after we're done here, kill them and save him. Fire arrows at the orcs? These things have heavy armour as I see it, fail to fire at the weak spots and the bolts will probably bounce off. Lets not be hasty, let them have him for now and give me enough time to detect any magic around. There may be more than one spellcasters for all we know." Elan'fal hisses to the group and readies his magic.

prepares: acid splash, ray of frost, and magic armor.

casts: detect magic.

He secures his backpack on his back and holds the short staff in one hand leaving the other one ready as well.

It is obvious that the young wizard is the most important person to rescue here.  coin be damned.  i am not sure about the rest of you, but what is right comes before the coin we may receive.  from what we heard, they laid waste to the entire town simply to get their handles on this one, and maybe other.  we need to make sure that what ever they are wanting to do, can not happen.

"Our survival is more important than him. See how they favour their right legs? They have been walking for a long time, they are tired and they have to walk back so let them leave now, let them break up their forces so we have fewer numbers to deal with now and then hunt them down kill them and take back the boy." Elan'fal hisses back trying not to be loud and heard.

Quelten looks at Eghas with distaste.  "As much as I hate to do it, I agree," he manages to force out.  "If they're willing to attack and loot an entire city, just to get a hold of a rather insignificant boy, that suggests there is more here than we're aware of.  It may not be our job to be heroes," Quelten looks at Zergrinch, "but when it comes to evil plans, it costs less to stop them earlier than later.  That boy is important, even if we don't know how or why."

Quelten smiles.  "I wonder, though, if we can pull a little trick on them.  Can we convince the gnolls those things are attacking them, or vice versa?  What if we pincushion one of the horned guys, and use magic to make it look or sound like the gnolls did it?  Something like 'We've got the cash, attack!' shouted loudly, from on top of the tower.  I have faith that Pelgrin will grant me that boon."

Innil listens to all then after a brief moment whispers, "Elan'fal makes more sense but Vorador follow them a short distance so we know the direction they take. Bows on the tower we take the heavy croosbow first. Reld, Quelten, and Barrett take the two guards, Elan'fal hold back in case more come out of the tower or help whichever group needs it. Then we take the tower."

Innil shifts his aim to the  tower and readyies his cantrip.

prepares fire bolt

"Elan'fal give the signal when the newcomers are gone." 

The more Zemzelett considers the young cleric's plan, the more he likes it. It is audacious, yes. Perhaps audacious enough to work. Perhaps both plans can be combined. Allow the orc things to step away, cast the trick Quelten was talking about, and use that as the signal itself to fire.

"All right, Quelten. I'll throw my vote behind your plan, but you'll have to teach me the Gnollish words for that. If this plan of yours gets us killed, I swear I'll kill you myself."

Ready Action: Upon signal by Quelten, cast Minor Illusion. The illusion will cause gnollish words, to be provided by Quelten, to seemingly emanate from the tower.

"Whatever we do, speed is important," Quelten outlines quickly.  "We'll need to creep up closer to the tower, then place a simple illusion of a gnoll coming around from behind it, shouting 'attack!'.  At the same time, we launch our arrows at the horned guys, and I'll call upon Pelgrin to create the sound of many arrows being fired, but put the sound on top of the tower.  With luck, the horned ones will engage the gnolls before realizing it's a trick.  After the first barrage of arrows, we retarget using Barret's plan.  We don't charge while they're fighting each other, but if one side goes down, they realize the trick, or the horned ones try to withdraw with the kid, we go in full bore.  And may Pelgrin be with us.  I don't think we can fool them for long, but it may buy us a few seconds extra time."

"I can agree to that and I could perhaps engage the gnoll with the large crossbow up on the tower at the same time from here making it look like as if the troll thingies have hidden reinforcements." Elan'fal whispers. His magic ready. Detect magic spell having already been cast. "If I actually manage to kill it...good, if not at the very least he's firing at enemies he cannot see, is less likely to hit anyone and sells the idea that the gnolls are under attack from multiple places at once. Just like an ambush. Also like this I'm here and I can see the tower and whoever comes from the forest should anyone come."

Reld rolls his eyes as he hears the talk back and forth. "Guys, I don't really care what seems right or what is right. All I know is I gave my word to try to rescue the royal kid, not some clothy wizard type. Now if we can do both fine, but until the Gnoll with the heavy crossbow is down, we are nothing more then potential meat on a stick. One good hit from that thing will drop any one of us! Do your plan, whatever, and I will back you, but for the love of the gods, guys, take out the heavy crossbow first!

Besides, those dudes are speaking in Goblin but ain't like no Goblinoid I have heaver heard of before. Also the one with the medallion of the minotaur is in some serious armor. I can tell by the way he is walking there is some serious metal under that heavy fur cloak... We also have to be wary of the Bugbear and whatever spells it can cast up in the tower."

As you are all taking back and forth the creature without the medallion grabs Gothan and easily lifts him up by the ropes securing his arms to his side. The other creature looks back to the tower, "Master still say keep back, make track wrong way. Master need to get what him find under city more far away too, then you join for plan to get last two so circle can complete!"

The deep voice responds from in the tower We will do as ordered, as long as the payments agreed upon keep coming!

The creature with the medallion growls back, "Pay, master he will, but before we see you, wash, me can smell one  no, more... two, three... more... Stink you do! And me all the way out here! Master not like such stink in camp!"

"Stink? the deep vice responds with an undertone of insult in his voice, "We bathe, we bath the boys we take, we no stink!"

The one who is starting to carry off Gothan turns and makes a snarling face, "Me think you need to learn of thing called soap! Now guard and let none follow." He hefts the boy he is holding and shakes him like a ragdoll, "This blood be piece of circle! Nothing matter more to the Mater!"