Last Place

Castle Herald

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of D’Artagnon’s stories can now be found at D'Artagnon]

Short Story presented for your pleasure at http://www.castleroland.net/library/author/dartagnon

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Wow, D'Artagnon... Are you sure you are not some Nobel Prize winning author, hiding out as D'Artagnon? Or come down from Mt. Olympus to hob nob with us mere mortals? This was so good! You catch the nuances of young people trying to grow up in this world, so well. All the changing emotions, the uncertainy, the feeling of weirdness and powerless as a body begins to morph out of their control as it matures. You take me back to when I remember all those fears and insecurities. I love the characters you create, guy. And how they rise (oops, you know what I mean, grin...) to rhe occasion when needed. Great stuff! Thank you for another great read. You probably are tired of hearing it but you are one damn good author and I appreciate the time and effort you make in writing.

Loved t, loved it when you threw Yoxeph in it. It's like I'm now waiting for a few books to come together in the final story :) I can almost see where it's going in some ways   it's kwl though really good job.  cheered me up and stopped a couple bad things from hapening to me tonight. thanks.  :) 

We have a bit to wait until Cody & Nick return.  They will feature in a new chapter by chapter novel soon.  But first, we need to meet two new friends who have a bit to play in the overall Canterbury Knights storyline.  Keep your eyes peeled for Wearing the Inside Out.  No spoilers other than it should be ready and waiting under the tree, soon.

No bad things for you, Jamie... We all care about you here...

Remember that you have friends here that care and will help however we can to banish all bad things. :)  ;)  :ph34r: 

We have a bit to wait until Cody & Nick return.  They will feature in a new chapter by chapter novel soon.  But first, we need to meet two new friends who have a bit to play in the overall Canterbury Knights storyline.  Keep your eyes peeled for Wearing the Inside Out.  No spoilers other than it should be ready and waiting under the tree, soon.

Sounds like all your stories might come together eventually. Max and Mike; Robyn, Kay and Jaun; Nick, Cody and Yoseph; possibly even Robyn's parents. That would be totally cool. :D  :D  :D 

Remember that you have friends here that care and will help however we can to banish all bad things. :)  ;)  :ph34r: 

Sounds like all your stories might come together eventually. Max and Mike; Robyn, Kay and Jaun; Nick, Cody and Yoseph; possibly even Robyn's parents. That would be totally cool. :D  :D  :D 

I can wait I like a story that ties into a series  and I'm off to battle some demonic squirrels today! with my vermin army.  It's just this time of year really sucks for me.  see my post in sneak peek of the revised edition of can you spare a quarter.  well the sun is about to pop up time to get out of here for a while and hopefully come back with a smile .  :D  not to mention my bag limit LOL  :lol:

I can wait I like a story that ties into a series  and I'm off to battle some demonic squirrels today! with my vermin army.  It's just this time of year really sucks for me.  see my post in sneak peek of the revised edition of can you spare a quarter.  well the sun is about to pop up time to get out of here for a while and hopefully come back with a smile .  :D  not to mention my bag limit LOL  :lol:

Hope you had fun! I just missed you in the Christmas event room. Meant to try to get a hold of tigerpaw or jay and have them give you an extra big hug.

I have a question though; since squirrels can be considered vermin are these deserters that you're after?  LOL :D  :P  :D 

Hope you had fun! I just missed you in the Christmas event room. Meant to try to get a hold of tigerpaw or jay and have them give you an extra big hug.

I have a question though; since squirrels can be considered vermin are these deserters that you're after?  LOL :D  :P  :D 

I popped in the chat a couple times  thanks for the hugs and yeah I'm after deserters  emphasis on desert LOL  yummy :)  I know some people think they are horrid but they when cooked right are tasty. not mentioning A.B.  :P  LOL   I really enjoyed meeting a few people last night sad i couldn't  stick around longer i got really sick late in the night after that salad.  but am feeling better today. 

Glad you are feeling better! :)  I will have to take your word about how squirrel taste as I have never had any. Rabbit however tastes fine as does deer and boar but not too sure that I care for bear that much. Those are the only wild meats I have had.

Squirrel tastes a lot like eagle LOL. OK it's an inside long story told when I was younger but funny none the less.  In actuallity they taste fairly close to rabbit.  since they have about the same diet they both eat berries nad nuts though rabbits eat more greens. I've had bear meat while it was tender you could tell it was a typical omnivore, and had that real gamey taste since it also eats meat. Mostly we do upland birds Pheasant grouse timberdoodles, and a variety of others but that's when we travel like chukar are not in mich but they are in the plains states. though I have seen a few I figured they where released to train dogs cause they are not native. And mostly small game, I kinda quit deer hunting 3 years ago when the herd got EHD and some other disease, then with the brutal winter in 2012/13 it made it tough to run the dog's to the

point we had to quit  this is from last january…. the snow was four to 5 foot deep and the dog's just couldn't move but they tried their damnedest….. Im still waiting for someone yo ask me what the hell a timberdoodle is LOL 

1013630_857590940958640_4330571277787708

Local dialect, in Mich Tmberdoodles are known as woodcock a small bird fast in flight the only way to tell the difference between a male and female is to measure the beak, they are like a beach plover  with a long narrow beak for grubbing worms and stuff. 

the male beak is longer then the width of a dollar bill and the females is shorter. takes a few to make a meal but they are super delicious! 

AmericanWoodcock-Vyn_080407_0014.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Codicil - Last Place, 2 days later

"So de boys be out patrollin'?" the tall Jamaican asked, taking his place around the campfire.  The beads in his dreadlocks glistened in the firelight, bathed in a soft amber glow.  He lay a wreath of ganja upon the fire with a practiced hand, almost ceremonially.

"As instructed, the Cubs are learning their environment," Yoseph replied, casually.  His sharp arabic features also stood out slightly glossy in the fire's bathing light.  "They will likely be gone for hours.  We can talk."

"Very well, then," Veronica said, turning her eyes from the soft murmur of waves as the tide ran out.  The sea often captivated her attention, but for the moment, she was content to focus on other matters.  "What news have we?"

"Not much I'm afraid," the tall, bare chested blonde with the wild hair intoned, taking a large bite out of a hotdog.  He ate it without benefit of bun or condiment, heedless of how hot it must be coming right off his roasting stick and out of the fire.  "Nick's mom and her mate, my sister, were unable to find anything on Cody's genetic heritage.  Could be his parents' kin folk connections go so far back even the spirits cain't make heads or tails of it.  Best guess, based on his pelt is either Get, Wendigo, Walker or Fang."

"Rolf's right about that," Yoseph asserted, stroking his chin.  "I see more Glass Walker or Silver Fang in him.  Perhaps a bit of both."

"While it is important to how we help him grow, he is Child of Gaia now.  We will raise him in our traditions.  Rolf," the thin lady said, "you will instruct them in how to fight, how to protect themselves and others and in how to know when to fight."

"Sure thing Roni," the surfer said, running his hands through his hair, pulling the long blonde strands back to tie it with a leather strip.  "We can start tomorrow."

"Good.  I want them able to defend themselves by the end of the week, and be able to change forms while under stress."  The lady turned to Yoseph.  "As master of the sept, you still have full disposition over their other training.  They have bonded with you."

"I did make Nick's mom a promise," the arab said, shrugging his shoulders.  "Since we've reactivated two caerns now, Garou are flocking join us.  I know of a few wily ragabash and wise theurges who can take the cubs under their wing for auspice training, but for the most part, I intend to bring them up to speed on our traditions the old fashioned way."

"Make them work their fool legs off?" the Jamaican grinned, resting his own loaded roasting stick on the fire so that the hotdog would cook in the growing smoke of the ganja ring.

"It is the way," Veronica said, taking a seat.  "I sense something profound happening here, with these cubs."

"The scrawny one did fight a water elemental all by himself with no training.  And won," Rolf pointed out, gnawing another bite off his hotdog.  "Got to admit, even among ahrouns that's double tough."

"There's more to it than that," Veronica continued, her voice seeming tired. "The spirits are gathering, in greater numbers than I've ever seen before, and with greater strength.  It's like the magic things of Gaia are coming awake, alive.  And Wyrn spirits, too.  The number of banes, scraglings, even thunderwyrms and psychomachinae, they are all significantly higher.  I've fought more in the last three months than I have in the last ten years.  I'm no theurge, but if I can see these changes, surely the rest of you have."

"My time has been split between building the sept and assisting our changeling allies.  By the way, there are a lot more changelings in this area than I previously expected.  They too are gathering in numbers, and seem to be enjoying a revival of their old powers as well."

"Just as long as the Leaches don't get stronger too, I'll be happy," Rolf said, clapping Yoseph on the shoulder.  "Perhaps a more formal alliance is in order?"

"I agree.  De blood suckers will keep to dem cities, but sooner or later, de will go huntin' as well.  If dey find changeling blood to dere, likin', we might need get rowdy."

The assembled werewolves stared at the fire a moment, contemplating, inhaling the smoke from the wreath, eating.  Each was filled with his or her own thoughts,  Thus it came as a complete surprise when the fire erupted into a column of blue flame, twenty feet tall.  A winged spirit spread it's talons, broad powerful wings and raised its noble head, glaring at the pack below.

"Phoenix!" Yoseph spoke, awe in his voice.

"I see you, members of my previous silver pack," the giant fire bird intoned with a voice like a roaring conflagration.  "I am curious to the absence of four of your still living members."

"Tribal duties directed them elsewhere," Veronica spoke in a reverent tone.  "We are yours to command."

"Not this time.  My command is for you to do as proper Garou have always done.  Survive, fight, build the packs, preserve your Mother.  I will soon call a new silver pack.  One unlike any other, for it will be made of those of your kind, and of other kinds.  The old ways are good in some respects, but they are failing in others.  The new pack I call will bring about the changes that are required.  Those who resist will be judged harshly.  Give the new pack the strength of tradition and honor, keep them honest and true, but let them lead.  Teach them what is best of the old ways so they may bring the best forward into the new ways."

"We will do as you say, mighty Phoenix," Rolf said, bowing from the waist.  "Is there a sign we should look for in who the new pack shall be?"

"We shall choose from among our children, Thrasher," Phoenix replied.  "Look to my brothers and sisters to offer their chosen ones.  Look to the young warriors among the fae.  Look to the Gifted among the mortals.  Soon will come times of trails for all of them.  Soon they will all either bathe in my fire and be strengthened by it, or shall fall to the cleansing flames, purified yet found unworthy."

The great spirit turned towards Yoseph directly "Take heed, Strider.  Thy charges are favored of Unicorn, my brother.  They are destined to feel my flame."

"I shall do my best to prepare them, honored Phoenix," Yoseph said, bowing.

"Make of this place a stronghold, for the forces of the Wyrm are on the march, and soon, they will make efforts to take back what you have revived."

"We shall, oh mighty Phoenix," the Jamaican werewolf said in wolf tongue.  Among the group, he had been the only one to shift to crinos, the war form, when the spirit shot out of the campfire.

And with that, the spirit blasted out of the fire, spreading itself into multiple fragments, all resembling the huge fiery bird of prey, streaking off into the distance, one straight up and four others to the cardinal points of the compass.  The ensuing silence was eerie, the ganja wreath on the fire completely consumed.  They looked around at each other, relaxing slightly with their thoughts.

"The boys must be taught right," Veronica said at length.  "No shortcuts.  No favoritism."

"Agreed," Yoseph said, a great weariness in his voice.  "What fun times we live in, eh?"

"We need a theurge, badly," Rolf said, shaking his head.

"I think I know what else we need," Yoseph said.  He stood and wiped the sand from the backside of his pants.  "And I should probably see about getting it now."  With that, he switched to wolf form, parted the Veil and jumped into the Umbra, trotting off.

"What got a burr under his tail?" Rolf asked to no one in particular.

"We just get a personal visitation from a totem spirit, and you wonder what got under his tail?" the Jamaican asked.  "Next time I bring somet'ing to lay on de fire, I make sure it's not de good stuff."

Veronica stared into the fire, her own mind turning to what she saw in there.  Images of demons given flesh, firecasters, beasts without souls, all surrounding the two cubs.  Remembrances of her own gifted cubs, and their violent fate.  Silently, she shifted to wolf form and let out a long, plaintive howl, encapsulating her sense of loss and pain.  Gradually, other wolf voices lifted with hers, shifting in pitch and harmony, blending and clashing and blending again.  The other wolf singers didn't need to know exactly why Roni was crying to the moon, just that she was.  They sang long into  the night, beautiful, wild and free.  Voices and hearts.

• 7 months later...

I welcome the codicils, D'Artagnon...both this one and the one for Coupe.  But, I think I may need to go back and re-read both stories because these additions just sort of left me with more questions than answers.

Especially with the one for Coupe...it almost sounded like Robby's parents knew they were going  to die, like it was part of some plan.  It always struck me as odd that they didn't play a bigger role in the story since they were mages.  It's not like they were just normal humans with no abilities of their own. 

No need to try to cryptically reply here without giving anything away.  I'm really just thinking out loud.

Thanks for these latest additions.

• 1 year later...

So I left my laptop and book at home this morning, as I was running late, and trying to rush out the door for an unnecessarily long bus journey (perils of the job!).  So I reach for my phone and figure that, after speaking with you, I should give one of your stories a read.  Picking Last Place purely because I knew I'd be able to read the whole thing on the trip.  I'm so glad I did.  Well written characters with excellent dialogue between Cody and Nick and a genuine (and more importantly believeable) build in their friendship.  Sweet natured, funny, touching and honest.   As I hadn't read any of your other works the (no spoilers) twist in the middle was a genuine WTF? moment and made for a very cool surprise.  Obviously a hell of a lot of thought had gone into the mythology and world building and it showed. 

I really really liked it and am genuinley a little excited to be diving into the rest of stories.