And the Adventure Begins!

Kyle Aarons

Vorador can't help but gasp at the sum being offered. He tries to hold his tongue, but just can't, "150 griffins each?"

The smirk on the captain's face tells you all he all but expected this reaction out of at least a few of you, He points back and has a junion Legion guard move up and set a cheast on the table. When the lid is lifted you can see it is full of silver griffin coins.

He lets you all gaze at the chest for a moment, "So, yes or no?"

So this was the group that was arguing loudly about leadership, thought the Half-Elf as the motley group entered the tent.  Well, some kind of structure would be kind of helpful, just as it was in the Troupe.  However, Zemzelett himself felt that respect should be earned, not demanded.

The mention of 150 griffins and rewards piqued his attention.  The sum, plus the promised rewards once resold, would undoubtedly help rebuild the Troupe.  At the very least, they would need a new caravan as the old one was probably destroyed after the fighting.  But perhaps the Half-Elf can negotiate something more.  

Lord Captain, two questions if I may.  First of all, I was promised that someone would help me find my family if I do what you ask. Would you make that commitment if I hold up my end of the bargain?

Attempt Persuasion on Captain

Second, how does Young Master Talarc look like?  How would we know it is him when we find him?

The captain makes a snorting sound, "Count Sokyeth's healer marks all of the Count's offspring with a axe with one black rose on the right blade and one red rose on the left side of the blade, it's over the right shoulder; and yes, if you get me the whelp in GOOD conditoin I will detail a couple of men to take you around to help you locate any remaining family. I cannot promise you we will find anyhting for you, however."

off to the side 15year old "brick" kicks at the battle axe, "I get a new one of these and a suit of chian instead a this crappy chain shirt, I'll go huntin' bugbear for ya!"

All right.  I'm in.

With that, Zemzelett lets his eyes wander over the group of adventurers.  Wait, is that a demon?  He takes a half-step back before deciding that if that demon thing was going to kill everyone, it would have done it already.  Still, he will definitely keep his eye on that fiend.  Can't trust a demon, no sir - his mother taught him better!

The Half-Elf who spoke up first caught his eye.  Despite being a Half-Elf, Zemzelett has mostly been around humans and dwarfs.  It was quite rare for him to interact with another just like him.  Sautering over to the younger Half-Elf, he introduces himself.

Hi there!  I'm Zemzelett of the Cantertrot Performance Troupe.  Nice to meet you!

Eghas lowers his head, showing proper respect for the Captain.  "Thank you very much for this offer.  I for one think we should go on this quest.  We have seen what the Orakin do to those they have captured.  In my humble opinion, to not go after the lads and try to rescue them would be an eternal blemish on our souls."  He trails off as he waits to see what the other will say.

Vorador glaces over with an odd look in his grey eyes and for the first time opens up some, "Zem.... I've seen you from outside the windows of the Ghostly Golden Goose Tavern, your tighrope act is good, but you don't hide your spellcasting well. Also your partner in the rafters is there to prevent your fall, so while it looks dangerous, there is very little danger to you. I also enjoy your voice although I have never been able to be in the same room while you do your playing, so I have only heard it while out on the street or on the roof where this is a nice little nitch next to the chimney to stay dry and warm in during the winter.

"Also, the lady Elf in your group is not the nicest of beings, I have tired three times to audition for your group and was finally told to have one of my caste in such an esteemed group would not be acceptable. Besides, I don't know how, but she knows what I am, and I am exceedly careful to hide it. Maybe if we can get the rich brat back, the Elf may reconsider?"

he then glances back at the others, "Oh, and I know what he looks like, he has tossed a couple Ravens at me a time or five."

Zemzelett tries his best to bite back the frown that's started to cloud his face.  There was only one lady Elf in his Troupe - and that was his mother, Zethurin.  

"She did?" he said. "I know my mom can be a slavedriver at times, but I don't understand why she would reject you based on your caste.  I don't know, Vorador, is it?  I think I heard someone call you by that name.  If she denied you entry, she must have a good reason for doing so.

Zem suddenly grins.  "I know!  Once we find her, I'll see about getting you into the Troupe.  It would be nice to have another half-elf close to my age to talk to!"

"However..." the youngster pauses, "The Troupe always expects you to pull your own weight.  I am an acrobat, and thanks to my training as a bard initiate, I can perform in plays as well.  If I am to make a good argument, I need to know."

Cast cantrip Minor Illusion.  Create a discrete sound behind Vorador.  The sound is much like the hissing sound used in the Draconic language.

"Ssssso, what can you do, young inisssssssshiate?

Quelten glares at the fools.  "This is not the time to discuss silly entertainment jobs," he snarls.  "There will be time enough to worry about such inconsequentials after we complete the mission.  If, that is, you survive it.  And while we will certainly endeavor to ensure that we all return alive, and with all six boys intact, stupidity like this little game of yours will jeopardize our goals.  At best you'll get yourselves killed, at worst you could every well get us all killed, and the boys as well."

"I left my home for this reason to help those in need. I say we should take this quest. We could use the coin and supplies. Captain, would there possibly be any musical instruments in the spoils?"

Hearing Quelten berating the two halfelves, Innil has had enough. "Quelten! Quiet yourself! This is as good a time as any to discuss such matters. It means they plan to survive and to succeed! Zemzelett, it is good to meet you. I have a bit of skill at acrobatics myself; maybe we can practice together and teach Vorador some tricks. My name is Innil Siannodel."  Gives a slight bow.

Zem stares at the brash teenage cleric and shakes his head.  While he would normally let insults like his slide, the past few months have left him a little frustrated.  Although bashing that gnoll's head in released a fair amount of the tension, he is more prickly than he would otherwise like to admit.  Still, the boy looks like he can lick him in a fight, so he'll hold back, for now.

Ready Action.  Upon next insult by Quelten directed at anyone in the group, cast Cantrip Vicious Mockery on Quelten.  Quelten would have to succeed on a wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on his next attack roll.

Turning to Innil, Zemzelett reciprocates the bow and responds in Elvish.  "M. Innil Siannodel monsieur, vous êtes le premier être que je ai jamais rencontré d'avoir plus de deux noms. Vous devez être de haute noblesse. Je suis honoré de faire votre connaissance!"

Straightening up, Zem looks expectantly at the wood elf as he continues: "Je me demandais, milord, si vous avez peut-être rencontré une femme elfe pendant le siège? Nous sommes séparés et je suis à la recherche de ma mère Zethurin. Elle est un elfe de bois."

P.S. I'm using French for Elvish, via Google Translate.  I think I will use German for Dwarven.
Line 1: Mr. Innil Siannodel sir, you're the first being I've ever met to have more than two names.  You must be of high nobility.  I am honored to make your acquaintance!
Line 2: I was wondering, milord, if you might have met an elven woman during the siege?  We got separated and I'm looking for my mother Zethurin.  She's a wood elf.

post-65-0-09314800-1418961684_thumb.jpg (Barett)

"Captain, I accept and I appreciate all the you offer. Please take my share of the coin and use it to clothe and feed some of the displaced.  Vindayin the Protector requires that of me. I cannot speak for the rest but should they decide to join me I will be happy for the company. We should move quickly as they already have a head start on us." I turn and look at the rest of the group. "Anyone have any objections to this." He stares at Queltin waiting for a response

"Thankfully, you're talking quite a bit of sense," Quelten smiles.  "Unlike some," he lets his eyes drift over to the idiots who had been discussing entertainment jobs.  "Though we'll need the additional equipment up front if we're to have a decent chance of making this work.  I'll need a healers kit, at least.  By the time we catch up with the boys, they'll need quite a bit more healing than you or I can manage through magic alone."

"My apologies Captain, but it seems our young Cleric has a short memory.  Since you have already stated we will be able to pick some adventuring gear, which, of course would include a Healers Kit."  

Eghas then turns to Barett, and speaks.  "I have noticed that you have never actually taken up the leader role, more stating what you are going to do, and inviting us to join you.  I would like to be the first one to ask if you would formally take the position of leader of our group, at least until someone of better quality comes along."

He then lets his eyes move to each member of this new group, and speaks again.  "In my humble opinion, taking this mission is the only right thing we can do here.  The Captain is being more then generous with what he is offering.  and the quest he has given to us is something that surely the Gods themselves have allowed us to do.  I see here a good group of people, with a wide variety of skills and abilities.  if we learn to work together, and get past our personal differences, i am sure that we will be able to do quite well."  He pauses as he moves in front of Quelton, then extends his hand in the traditional warriors handshake.  "Do you accept my hand in companionship, and friendship?  Can we put aside our dislike of each others lineage, and work as true brothers of the sword?"

Zemzelett raises an inquisitive eye towards Vorador. "Wow. You know the Dragon tongue? That's so cool! What did you say?" He has all but forgotten his temporary bout of annoyance towards the 14-year old cleric.

Cancel readied action.

Casting a glance at the assembled group, and trying but failing to hide his clear discomfort at the tiefling, Zem speaks up. "All right, I guess we should get this over with. All eight of us are going to this Swamp of Bones, right? I can't say I've ever seen a bugbear before, but we should be able to handle it! I mean, I stomp on bugs all the time."

"Also, I don't suppose I could replace this mace with a couple of short swords? I've done swordplay before with the troupe - haven't done so with this. Oh, and maybe a bit of fleece, as a reagent? I sort of used my last bit for that illusion."

Elan'fal giggles at the playful antics of the younger ones and shakes his head in disbelief.

"Yes, I agree as well that we should take up on this quest and try our hardest to bring back all of the kids. No one deserves such a fate as they are currently receiving." He says to the company and then turns to the captain. "I will gladly accept what you have to offer us if it suits my and our needs and you are most welcome in offering us that which you did."

Then he hisses something in Dragonic.

Quelten steps up to Eghas and looks deeply in his face.  "My family would never, ever forgive me giving a demon-blood the hand of friendship," he states loudly.  "They'd accept a hand of partnership, though, and this mission is exactly the type of service expected of a Buerden of Buerden, whatever the company."  More quietly, pitched not to carry to other ears, he adds, "Though as someone pointed out recently, such bigotry is wrongful.  I cannot yet, to my shame, truly conceive of giving you my friendship.  But I can give you the opportunity to earn it, as I find myself hoping to earn yours."  He holds his hand out for Eghas to take.

Zem's hand trembles as Eghas extends his hand in friendship.  He finds the tiefling's touch to be surprisingly gentle - not the scaled hide of a demon that the half-elf was half-expecting.  That, combined with Eghas' soft-spoken demeanor, causes something to click in his mind.  His fear melted away, and the bard grinned at the Tiefling, vigorously shaking his hand.  "Wow, mister, that's a real good disguise you got.  It sure fooled me!"

(Barett)

I grasp Eghas's offered hand with my right and and put my other hand on his shoulder. " you may yet be the string that ties this group of misfits together".

"If that is how the Gods wish to use me, then i simply hope i am up to the task."  He laughs, and then speaks loud enough for everyone to hear.  "Before i left to come here, my instructor told me that she wished for me to live in 'interesting times'.  I now know what the curse truly means."  He laughs softly, but with good humor.  "Let us see where this road that has been set before us leads."