And the Adventure Begins!

Kyle Aarons

post-65-0-87583300-1418881970_thumb.jpg (Barett)

I look at Quelten and smile. "Quelten, I merely stated where I was going and offered an invitation. It was you that decided to follow me like a lost a puppy.  You are free to go and do what ever you wish. I would agree we could talk to the captain if everyone agrees if not we can walk away and take our chances. But let me make this very clear Young Priest If we stick together we do so as a team we are all equals. No one here has higher status than any other, Eghas and I are equals Vorador and you are equals. There is no rank or nobility in this group just like being in a Clerical Order." I turn and look a everyone. "Who wants to talk to the captain and who wants to walk away."

Eghas raised his eyebrows in surprise at Barett's comments, and hide his grin.  he reaches down, grabs his pack and shoulders it.  "In my humble opinion, waiting around here will do us no good.  If nothing else, speaking with the Captain will give us valuable information.  To turn away from such information would be a senseless waste of an opportunity that the Gods have laid before us.  That would not be fortuitous."

He then waits to see if more people are going to speak, or if the time for speaking is over. 

I sigh and look at no one in particular.

"I grow weary of Human arrogance, strongheadedness and need for rule over others. I think we should listen to this captain of theirs and I agree with thee...together we must stand or alone we shall perish." I say loud enough for all to hear and walk inside the door indicated by the Legionnaire.

I look at Barret and laugh.  Long and hard.

"No rank?  Just like a priestly order?"  I eventually force past the guffaws.  "Please, tell another one, oh High Priest of Vindayin.  Or Acolyte, or whatever.  As for following you like a lost puppy," Quelten forces every trace of a smile off his face instantly, "I believe I made it clear that I in my eyes this group has been put together by the gods.  You leave me no choice but to follow when you take off so precipitously, without even a chance for reasoned discussion.  I will not so readily break asunder what They have joined together."

"But since you've made it clear you have no desire to lead, whatever your actions state, I suggest that we put all else aside and settle the question of who leads.  One must lead so that others may follow, just as I must follow when another leads.  I would argue that my nobility makes me an obvious choice for leader, but I am well aware that the group will disagree.  And in truth, my training in diplomacy, arms, courtesy, and the like are secondary now.  We have been forced into the role of adventurers, whatever else we may have chosen.  I will follow if asked to do so.  I will also lead, as I was trained for, if I am asked to do so.  Either act would be a form of service to Pelgrin, who is god of both warriors and wisdom, followed by knights and by lords."

"What I will not do is allow you to simply take charge by deciding what you are going to do and then drag the entire group after you before we've had a chance to discuss matters.  Lead and I will follow.  But do not attempt to lead, and pretend you are doing otherwise.  Hypocrisy is a sin before the gods."

"Since when is pride a sin?" Quelten laughs, shaking his head in confused bewilderment.  "Next thing you know, he's going to try and claim that hunger or sexual arousal are sins," he complains, looking upwards.  "As always, grant me courage to change what can be changed, the serenity to accept what cannot, and the wisdom to tell the difference," he prayed.  "Wisdom in particular would be appreciated right now."

I follow the others shaking my head at the exchange. "Come on Vorador. Let us see what this Captain has to say."

Thinking to myself: "If we must go into the wilderness Elan'fal or I need to lead; we know the ways of the forest best. I wander if either of the humans can accept that."

I stop in mid step "enough of this childness. No more bickering, Quelten if you wish to challenge me do so, elan'fal if you feel having humans in company is an insult to your heritage then feel free to leave. Since you seem to think I am leader then I accept the role follow me, stay here or get out of my way" I storm off to the legion captians tent

I cannot help but laugh loudly "Insult? No. Entertaining and interesting maybe. I think as of yet you are the only one who thinks that but I will do whatever I have to do to survive...even follow one who thinks he is a leader but has as of yet proven not his skills in leadership except if participating in said bickering and alienating those who you want to follow you is part of those skills?" I say mirthfully waiting to see what will happen next.

Edited by A.B

Quelten snags Barret by the arm, interrupting his charge towards the legion officer.  "I might choose to accept your leadership.  Might.  But if you are going to take that position, you are going to wait until the group confirms it before you simply assume that authority.  And once you take it, remember, you are simply first amongst equals.  You speak for the group, and when time is short you choose, but you lead, you do not command.  And as leader, you should listen to what others say and not what you think they should be saying, a skill you have clearly failed to master."

Quelten releases Barret's arm, then turns to look at the other members of the group.  "Anyone else care to put themselves forward as a leader?"

Eghas stops and hangs his head for a moment, before turning around.  "While i am not much of a leader, and feel that others would probably be better at it.  since all i am hearing is bickering and moaning about the topic, i will put myself forward as leader."

He looks down at Vorador and smirks.  "As it works on the streets, which is every bit as dangerous as the wilderness, one needs to step up and be the leader.  personally i think following Barett would be best, since he does not seem as 'entitled' to leadership as others.  However, if Barett does not wish it, and others would not accept it, then I will do it."

IT is rare to see him with this much strength and conviction in his voice.  but his eyes are blazing with determination as he speaks. 

Eghas looks at Quelton with a look of boredom before speaking.  "YOUNG Noble Cleric.  I have known many people who are much better bigots then you are.  perhaps when you grow up a little, you will learn how to better spout off with your racism, and then i might actually have the chance to be offended."

Deep sorrow covers Elan'fal's face with all colour draining from it. "I meant not to bicker...sometimes...I forget myself...I do not...feel or want leadership...at least as of yet for I have...no I do not want to lead. I want whoever leads our band to lead not because of words but because of actions and deeds. I would want us to not vote for such a thing until at least one of us...whoever that may be has proven himself to the group and to have the group's best interest at heart as well as the interests of all those in the group. If I have to vote for it now though I will vote him who wants it least but deserves it most in my eyes. Will anyone else come forth or is our selection for now if voting is to happen brother Barret and Eghas? Quelten you challenge authority but have you the mettle to take up authority if it is offered? Will anyone else come forth?" He says. This time is his turn to look at Innil with a inquisitive look. His eyes for a moment betraying age greater than appearance.

Quelten stared at Eghas for a long moment, missing Elan'fals comment as he struggles to parse out the absolutely impossible statement Eghas made.  Finally he succeeds, and his warhammer is in his hand and ready for a swing before he can stop himself.  Trembling, he grits his teeth as he stares at Eghas, clearly at the limits of his self control.  He stays there for a long moment as he struggles to regain his self control, balanced on the tip of an emotional knife.

"My sincere apologies, Eghas," he manages eventually.  "While you are of demon blood, you yourself are not a demon and I should not address you as such.  You may rise above the failings of your blood, just as a noble may fall below the expectations of his.  The failing of such discourtesy is mine and mine alone, and shows poorly on me and my house.  I must beg your pardon.  I can offer no excuse beyond my youth and inexperience with your-"  Quelten works his mouth for a moment.  "Your kind."

"My feelings were not hurt, since I was surprised you kept your words to yourself this long.  Trust me Quelten, I know how hard it is to judge someone on their merits rather than their birth.  I have to do it all the time with Nobles."    Eghas grinned while he spoke, making it clear that there were no hard feelings, at least on his side. 

"Yeah, boy, you help us we may be more inclined to help you, but get what you want off the filthy Gnolls and get the hell out before I decide to see how your face looks after I use it for punching practice!"

The half-elf shook his head at the rudeness of the guard.  He briefly imagined the man to pieces with a clever riposte, but had the good sense to stifle the impulse.  He might be able to take down one of them, but surely not two.  

Zemzelett bit his tongue and knelt beside the two dead gnolls.  All in all, gnolls aren't so bad, especially when they're dead, the 16 year equivalent old half-elf bard mused to himself.  Well, might as well scavenge everything I can use.

With great difficulty, Zemzelett stripped a dead gnoll's leather armor off its hairy carcass, and quickly ducked behind the gate to dress himself.  It smelt like gnoll, but then so did he - a hundred days of not being able to bathe would do that to you.  Briefly gathering what he could carry, the youngster stuffed his spoils into the gnoll pack he appropriated.

Equip: Leather armor, whip, 2 gnoll daggers, 1 light crossbow (with quiver)
Take: All currencies, 1 backpack, 1 additional bedroll, 5 additional rations, 3 candles, morning star
Leave behind: wood chopping axe from the pack

Before leaving, Zemzelett eyes the dead gnoll's mace.  While he is proficient with all simple weaponry, the young entertainer has always favored swordplay.  The mace was a blunt weapon designed to crush - such an inelegant weapon, he sniffed.  But still... it might come in handy.  The half-elf pried it off the dead gnoll's hand, and tested it against the creature's skull.  

Although already slightly dented by a Legionnaire's blow, it still took the skinny half-elf five blows to cave in the skull.  That was cathartic.  I think I'll keep you, Zem thought as he stashed the still-bloody mace with gnoll brains and skull fragments into his pack.

Take: mace
Attack: dead gnoll

He made his way to the Legion Captain's tent, and was directed to a stand off to the side next to a human just younger than him.  Younger, but definitely stronger - he was clad in chain shirt and carrying a flail, a steel shield, spiked gauntlets, daggers, a backpack - Zem wasn't sure he could personally handle this level of encumbrance.  Not that he had to previously - the troupe always had a wagon for this.  Wonder how much it would cost to buy a wagon around here, the half-elf wonders.

He glanced down, and noticed a bloody Gnoll battle ax leaning against the human's leg.  That must have been a fresh kill, because the blood is still wet.  The human glanced over.  "Sure hope they will get us at least one decently made weapon if we do whatever the dude wants. It took three swings to take off the head of the last Orc with this!" he said, while reaching down and patting the axe handle.

Zem didn't recognize the human from the city siege at all, and shuddered involuntarily at the human's words.  Forcing down a gulp or two, he responded "Yeah, well, I sure hope it doesn't involve combat - I've seen more these past three months than I care to see for the rest of my life.  I'm Zemzelett, by the way, from the Cantertrot Performance Troupe.  And you are?"

Innil holds Elan'fal's eyes for a second then gives a brief shake to his head and mouths, "Later."

To the group, "I do not think a vote is a good idea. For our meeting with the Captain, Barrett would probably be best suited to speak human to human. But in the wilderness we elves have the most experience. Elan'fal has stated he does not wish to lead and I would prefer to be in the rear as I can still protect the group from the rear with my bow. Whatever is decided I will not abandon the group."

One of the guards close to the tent you have been directed to, snickers as he hears some of the back and forth. "Well, I'll give you all a little credit, all six of you seem to be in better spirits than almost everyone else exiting the city. Our captain is getting an update on street to street fighting and will be out of the back area of the tent shortly. In the mean time get out of the cold." He then gestures toward the large tent.

Two guards outside the tent eye you all as you approach, the older of the two speaks up as the other pulls back the flap to allow you to enter, "I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you, that trying to do anything violent to the captain when he comes to meet with you will spell doom and you will end up begging for a quicker death well before it happens. So do yourselves a big favor and keep non threatening."

You enter the tent and feel real warmth for the first time in a very long time. Fires down in the sewers were dangerous and tended t attack Orakin and Gnoll patrols so you tended to extinguish them as soon as you were done cooking the rats and mice you survived on the last 101 days.

As you move closer to the fire, you note two others already in the tent. One is a Human of about 15 years of age. He is a strong looking, short kid with a scar running from just under his left eye down his entire cheek and wraps under his chin. What you can't help but notice is the copious amount of blood splatter on him. he is equipped with an Orakin flail, Orakin chain shirt, Gnoll Steel shield, spiked gauntlets, a pair of daggers, and a backpack with a bedroll under it. As you look down, you note a Gnoll battle axe leaning against his leg and it is still very bloody.

The second figure in the room as pretty much totally the opposite in build. This is a Halfelf and is about 16, and is tall and thin. he has some Orc and Gnoll equipment with him but looks like he was kind of rushed and is struggling to carry it all. It also looks like he eaten even less than you all did over the past 101 days. Still, he carries himself pretty well even as he munches on the bread and the hunk of meat you were each given as you left the city.

The young human turns in your direction and start to speak, "Any of you happen ta know if any real weapons..." but is cut off as a massive human comes in though the back part of the tent and clears his throat, "You can all make small talk later. I don't have time for it and to be honest I don't even give a shit what your names are. You wouldn't be here if someone in the legion didn't think you could carry your own weight. Now, here's the situation, we pushed in hard and thought we covered all the exits, but somehow a group of Orakin and Gnolls lead by a spell casting Bugbear managed to break out. While this would normally just piss me off and get some of my men a large dock in pay, this group happened to have something we want. Without getting into all the details, the bugbear has Count Sokyeth's son and four of his friends as hostages. While I don't give a Kobald turd for the brat's friends, I damn sure want the boy back her safe. On the other hand, the others, if you can secure them and they are in any sort of good condition could probably be worth more than a few coins as well since I can assure you from everything I have heard, young master Talarc would not hang around with kids whose parents are light on coin.

At this point, the Legion managed to prevent the bugbear and his compatriots from getting around the city, so they couldn't get bac k up into the hills and the Knight-Guard mountains beyond. This is good, because there are a number of Gnoll clans send reinforcements down in an attempt to prevent us from fully retaking Old Port. My scouts also has eyes on a group of Orakin with a least some Ogre and Bugbear support moving in from the Iron Wood forest. It is my hope to cut them off and use the woods to our advantage, but because of the sheer number and power of the threats facing my forces, I cannot detail men to pursue the bugbear no matter how much I would like to.

And this is where you, my young adventurous looking friends, come in. You get me the boy without too much damage and I will offer 150 griffons each, 75 if master Talarc is alive but badly bloodied, and 25 each if you get me him alive but little else.  

In addition, I will dig into some of the spoils we have thus far gained and allow you take select one item of high quality armor, 2 suits of new clothing, one weapon, and one piece of adventuring gear, get you over to our blacksmith to get what you have touched up to a more usable state.  Finally, you will all be allowed to swing by and have one of my leather workers, touch up the armor you have and make you proper bandoleers, backpacks and other stuff needed for the trip into the Swamp of Bones, which is where the bastard fled to. If you say no, my men at the tent flap will get you the extra food and cloak as promised and you can leave. I need an answer now, for if you are not interested I need to find some who are before the trail grows cold.