And the Adventure Begins!

Kyle Aarons

Unlike Normal D&D the money system you will deal with is changed to the following:

the coin of least value- a Bronze square coin (commonly referred to as a "Raven" since the kingdom minted bronze coins have a Raven on both sides)

the next coin is a triangular copper coin (Commonly referred to as a "Sparrow" since it has a sparrow on both sides)

The common purchase coin is a oval shaped silver coin referred to as a "Griffin" (yup, some reason)

Gold coins are not carried by most and are the play things of the rich, the gold coins minted in the kingdom are round and have a Crown on both sides and are thus called "Crown"

Only nobles or the highest merchants carry the last coin in any kind of numbers, the platinum coin is a star shaped coin with a Dragon on both sides and is called a "Dragon"

thus the breakdown of coins

Raven- takes 10 to equal a Sparrow.

A Sparrow- takes 10 to equal a Griffin

A Griffin- takes 10 to equal a Crown

A Crown - takes 10 to equal a Dragon

For D&D terms things sold in the D&D books for gold, the price in this world is silver griffins. I did this to reflect the fact most people never see a gold coin!

(Note: All the coins with corners are rounded as not to tear at pouches but can be identified by their feel- this is actually so wealthy people can hide what they are carrying by paying for cheep things by simply feeling what is in their pouches and pulling out the right coins)

While in the kingdom itself, coinage found out in the wilds that are not minted coin have a value of 90% since merchants can take them, but then have to exchange them for minted coins by law.

Now on to the background:

The City of Old Port rests on the eastern shores of the of the South Wind Bay, a narrow bay with two inlets through the Barrier Islands. Once past either of the twin inlets, the water gets rough and turns into the Ocean of Sorrows directly to the east. To the south is the Knight-Guard Mountains, a mostly wild and untamed land with a few mines and settlements of mostly Dwarves. Gnoll and Orakin raiders are also know to be up in the mountains in huge numbers and carry out forceful raids, some of which are close enough to Old Port for the city Garrison to send out troops to deal with them.

To the west is the Iron Wood Forest, a place of plentiful danger and the deeper woods are home to several enclaves of Elves. To the northwest is the Knolls of Hordenfeld, it is the knolls where most of the kingdom's food is produced. There is decent farmland, villages a plenty, and a sizable number of Halfling and Gnome communities. The kingdom's capitol of Ryneford is just on the far edge of the knolls to the northwest and it is here where most of the human dominated towns are in.  Finally, directly to the north is the Swamp of Bones, where the river drains into some highlands that stands between the rive and the bay. Countless streams flow down from the highlands and peat harvesting is big business there. Unfortunately, undead are known to be up there as well. Rumors say there are ruins galore and tales of riches and death abound, mostly death... However, Old Port is the only port city in the Kingdom of Maladarm, and is thus considered the most important city in the kingdom by many including a fair number of nobles.

Old Port is a heavily mixed race city of just over 15,000 inhabitants. The actual population during the warmer months when shipping is at its peak often times means Old Port has a population of upwards of 20,000. During the harsh winters, when the southern Ice flows push up from the southern reaches of the Sea of Sorrows, the population actually shrinks some, as merchants leave the city to go to their estates, most of which are in the knolls. This also means the city's weath moves outdied the city so upkeep during the winter is drastically cut back by the city's count, Count Sokyeth, a human who is known for his greed and heavy taxation of the commoners.

The name itself, Old Port, has been passed down through countless generations, and why it has the name no one is certain, or if they are, they are keeping it to themselves. Most common folk say it is because the walls are so old they are crumbling in some areas. (others blame Count Sokyeth and his greed) Other say it is because there is a ruined city under the current one and it was this former city that was the oldest port in the world. Other rumors even go so far as to say Old Port was built by the gods or their direct descendants and it called Old Port as a way of honoring the ancient ones.  

The five of you all traveled to the guilding hall in Old Port to test for your guild certifications as to being trained. While this is not a requirement, most who become Bards, Fighters, Rangers, Wizards, Druids, Sorcerers, and even Warlocks and Rogues seek to be guilded because being guilded tends to mean higher pay and prestige. The same holds true for Clerics since the clergy of the various gods likes to keep the names on file of those in their order in a centralized location within each kingdom, and Old Port is where the Kingdom of Maladarm stores the records of the kingdom. One of the main reasons for this is this allows the guilds to get the information out by ship quickly, since there really isn't a good quick way out of the kingdom anywhere else.

At the time of your arrival, either by ship or by land, winter is right around the corner. As fate, or the gods, has it, you arrive the day before the Day of Snowfest, a large street fair where merchants set out their remaining goods and discount the prices so they can then all pack up and leave for their estates without having extra goods on hand. This is also the time where many of the commoners hold on to all their coin and buy goods to carry them over the winter since work and supplies quickly grow scarce. It is also the only day of the year when Count Sokyeth drops taxes to enter the city and cuts taxes per transaction of less than a Griffin down to a single Raven and less than a Crown to a single Sparrow. This means a great savings for the purchasers and keeps the poor population happier heading into the long harsh cold winter months.

Because you arrived the day before the festival, the guild halls were closed until the day after Snowfest because most of the guild members are also merchants who are busy getting ready to set out their tables at first light of Snowfest. The inns are full as well, since so many have come into Old Port to buy goods at such good prices, so you are all forced to find someplace, anyplace, willing to take you in for a fair price. As fate has it, you all find the same place, an attic space above Old Port's poorest orphanage. With Snowfest only a day away, the old Dwarf running the place is desperate for some extra coin and rents a space in his "loft" for a single Griffin per night. You all dig into your meager supplies and produce two Griffin's each hoping you will be able to test after the festival and go on your way. It is in this attic you all meet for the first time.

The next morning, just as people hit the streets for Snowfest to find bargains galore, and the gates of the city are opened wide, free from taxes, alarms sound from the southern gate. Minutes later war horns blare. Gate are ordered shut as a massive force of Gnolls come out of the forested mountains and charge the city. The problem is, it is already too late. Orakin, disguised as traders had already entered the city gates and took control of the southern gate aloowing the gnolls to pour into the city.

The fighting is feirce, but the Gnoll and Orakin forces take the city block by block even as many try to flee out the west and north gates. Both fortunately and unfortunately for the five of you, however, the orphanage is very close to the south gate and is behind enemy lines before you even realize what has happened. However, because the orphanage is so poor and rundown, the first wave of Gnoll and Orakin forces all but ignore it. With the help of the Dwarf and two uhuman femal workers, the five of you are able to take and nineteen children into an underground passage before reinforcements take interest in what has not yet been looted. Even as you decend the old stairs into a undergound of the city you hear the door above shatter and the sounds of Orakin voices shouting and arguing over the belongings your were forced to abandon in order to save the children. The only thing you each escape with is Clerics have holy symbols and a dagger and the others a dagger and 5 Griffins

For three months you move in and out of the long forgotten passages of a city below the city, avoiding Gnoll and Orakin patrols and scrounging food however you can. Many of the children are growing weak and two of the youngest have died from too little food and sickness. All of your skins are too pale from not enough sunlight. The two woman even talk of going topside and making a break for it. The old Dwarf, however, will not listen to such foolishness. He says over and over the Gnolls will probably eat the weakest of the children and sell the stronger while the Orakin will do vile things to the women and the older girls if they are caught, which in the weakened state of the kids is all but a certainty.

Things change on the morning of the one hundred and first day of the fall of Old Port. From where you all are curled up under what was a nice inn, you hear the sounds of fierce fighting. The oldest boy, a rather sneaky Halfelven lad by the name of Vorador, decides to take a look and comes back with wide eyes and a huge grin, "It is the Crimson Legion! They are in the city!"

This is astounding news, for the Crimson Legion is the elite force independent mercenaries directly to the west of your kingdom. Normally the Crimson legion, easily identified by their dark red cloaks with a black sword on the middle of the back are desert fighters who keep the horrible creatures of the Amber Sands Desert out of civilized lands of all the kingdoms east of the Amber Sands, and are paid well by the four kingdoms whose borders are at the fringes of the nastiest of deserts.  

By the time you all make it to the surface to check out the reports, you can see Crimson Legion banners along all the southern walls and the streets are littered with dead Gnolls and Orakin.

Deciding to fully push out of the subterranean maze you have been forced to live in, a quartet of Crimson Legion horseman notice your rag-tag group and move to intercept. A fifth meber call for them to halt, hops off his heavy war mount and moves up to your group. he takes statements form each of you and listens to the Dwarf explain how the five of you saved his homeless whelps while risking life and limb to do so.

The man glanced back to one of the men of a horse behind him. "These fine folk are to be given passage out of Old Port and should be allowed to equip themselves. We will take the youngsters to our camp and feed and care for them."

He then points to the Dwarf and the two women, "See they accompany the children and care for their needs as well."

Finally he turns back to your group, and points to the inn you heard fighting in from below. "You five... he pauses and looks over at Vorador, and you, you look close enough to be an adult, take what you wish off the dead, equip yourselves and take what loot you can find. Consider this payment for your kindness to those in need. But you are not guilded so I cannot offer you a place in the Legion, even a temporary one are rules are very clear on this, so I must ask that once you secure what equipment you can you leave Old Port until our war banners no longer fly over the city. My thanks and good luck to the six of you!"

You all enter the once nice in and find half a dozen dead Orakin and four gutted Gnolls. Their equipment is scattered around them, some nice others Orakin made and not so nice. You alos find coins littering the floor and cards and dice all over the place. You also see small casks of Meade, ale, wine behind the bar and a leg of mutton over the fire.

Finally, you notice a pair of empty manacles on the stage that normally held a bard or minstrel.

Equipment in the room:

2 longbows, two quivers each with 17 arrows, 3 light crossbows (one Orakin) each with a quiver of 14 bolts (14 are Orakin), a warhammer, a battle axe, 19 daggers (12 Orakin), a shod staff, two long swords (one Orakin) 3 maces (2 Orakin), a flail, 7 short swards (4 Orakin), 3 chain shirts (2 Orakin) 5 sets studded leather (1 Gnoll, 2 Orakin), 4 hand axes (3 Gnoll), 2 slings (each wiht 13 bullets), one great sword, 4 steel shields (1 gnoll, 2 orakin),  and one set of spked gauntlets.

There are 235 Ravens, 123 Sparrows, and 73 Griffins on the floor.

finally in a back room there are backpacks filled as follows:

• Backpack 1
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer
  • 10 x Pitons
  • 10 x Torches
  • Tinderbox
  • 10 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope
  • Backpack 2
  • Bedroll
  • Mess Kit
  • Tinderbox
  • 10 x Torches
  • 10 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope
  • Backpack 3
  • 1000 x ball bearings
  • 10' string, Not Listed; Presumed
  • Bell
  • 5 x Candles
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer
  • 10 x Pitons
  • Hooded Lantern
  • 2 x Oil Flasks
  • 5 x Rations
  • Tinderbox
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope
  • Backpack 4
  • Bedroll
  • 2 x Costumes
  • 5 x Candles
  • 5 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • Disguise Kit
  • Backpack 5
  • Blanket
  • 10 x Candles
  • Tinderbox
  • 5 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • Ink Pen
  • 10 x Parchment (1 sheet)
  • Backpack 6
  • Book of Lore (Listing for generic book)
  • Bottle of ink
  • Ink Pen
  • 10 x Parchment (1 sheet)
  • Bag of Sand
  • Small Knife
  • 5 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • Chest
  • 2 x Map cases
  • Fine Clothes (x4)
  • Bottle of ink
  • Ink Pen
  • Lamp
  • 2 x Oil Flasks
  • 5 x Paper
  • Perfume
  • Sealing Wax (But no Signet ring?)
  • 10 Soap

post-65-0-26421800-1418729987_thumb.jpg

As  Everyone began discussing what to do I go grab the pack (number 6)with
Book of Lore (Listing for generic book)

Bottle of ink

Ink Pen

10 x Parchment (1 sheet)

Bag of Sand

Small Knife

5 x Rations

Waterskin

I  open  the chest and pulled out a set of the clothes that looked like they would be close to fitting me Strip the remnants of the clothing I was wearing off and put the new clothes on. I stuff  the rags in the backpack then walk over and look at the chain shirts and select the best one and shrug  it on. Then select the finest of the shields and the best mace of the group.  I take a deep breath and look around room and spot a table with a spoiled meal left on it.  I placed one hand on the food and one hand on the crest of Vindayn still hanging on my neck and whispered a purifying prayer to Vindayin. The rot and decay  reverse and the food was transformed into a meager meal.

I look over at the rest of the group. "I don't care much about the coin, just a couple of ravens to pay  for food when needed. I am headed to the Ironwood there is a small shrine of Vindayn with a small Contingent of Brothers. If they are unharmed we can find protection and assistance. Any that wish to come with may. You deeds here will be looked upon with much favor. No matter which way you should decide to go eat some of the food first. Never know when the gods will favor us with a meal again. Elan"fal  I know for fact there is an elven camp in the wood as well. Quelten, will you be joining me?"

I look around, keeping the hood over my head. I scavenge around taking one of the daggers and the short staff as well as much coin as I can carry, around 10 Gryf. and 30 Sparrows as well as backpack 1 with

• Backpack 1
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer
  • 10 x Pitons
  • 10 x Torches
  • Tinderbox
  • 10 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope

"Who knows some of that stuff may come of use." I whisper to myself and look up hearing my name from the human Barret. I look around. I have been traveling with them for over three months and I barely know their names.

"I'll follow you for now...Elven camp...should be interesting seeing as I have never seen my kin."

I stand next to Barret waiting to depart this place.

Vorador moves into the inn and looks around even as he constantly glances over his shoulder at the departing orphans he has lived with for quite a while. A few of the older ones give him sad little waves and one boy who Vorador gave his shoes to down in the underground labereth has tears in his eyes as he waves.

Vorador shakes his head and moves deeper into the inn as soon as the fellow orphans disappear down the twisting street leading to the eastern gate of Old Port. Seeing the food is now fresh he looks over with longing but says nothing, He also looks at all the weapons lying Around and picks up an orakin dagger and looks over at the oothers as if asking for permission to keep it.

The one thing he does do, however, is kick one of the dead Gnolls a few times before taking it boots and sliding then on over the cloth wraps he has over his feet. With boots on he makes a soft growling sound and proceeds to kick the dead gnool a few more times with a grim determination on his face. Suddenly he stops as he sees some of you looking at him and lowers his head, "Sorry, please let me go with you until we find someplace safe. I'll be real good."

post-65-0-76079400-1418759744_thumb.jpg

"Vorador, You are welcome to join me. As I see it we need to move out of the city quickly and find someplace safe to figure out whats going on outside the city. The more of us that stick to together the better." I stop and look at everyone. "The only thing we know is the Crimson Legion has retaken Old Port. Outside of that we are blind. The Legion is a mercenary unit. They could be working for anyone other than the gnolls. The King could have paid them to retake Old Port or some other King or duke or whatever could be paying them to take the city while its weak.  Elan'fal and I are headed to Iron wood, Hopefully Vorador you'll come with we could use the extra hunting skills. Quelton its your call I am sure you are eager to meet up with some of your order and I would be honored to help a fellow brother of the gods get there. Vorador eat something we leave soon before the Legion changes its mind. If everyone wants to join then grab as much gear as you can we can divide it up later once we are clear of the city."

I grab two large chunks of meat and hand one to Vorador and sit down and wait for the rest to figure out what they are doing.

Innil:

I grab pack 2, a longbow and quiver of arrows , a short sword and swoop a bunch of coins into the pack as well.

• Backpack 2
  • Bedroll
  • Mess Kit
  • Tinderbox
  • 10 x Torches
  • 10 x Rations
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope

"​I agree with Barrett; we need to stick together. There are still Gnolls and Orakin wandering outside the city from what the soldiers are yelling at each other. I would like to see this Elven camp as well. I have come across few Elves since leaving the Outlands. If you'll let me travel with you."

Quelten grabs pack 3, a chainmail shirt, a shield, and a warhammer.  "I have no objection to your plan to visit with your brethren, Berret, but doing so alone would be foolhardy.  At best.  The area around the town is going to be dangerous for some time.  As such, the six of us should move as a party.  And while you might like to visit Vindayin's temple, after the long siege I must check in with my family.  Is the temple by any chance in the same general direction of our estates at Buerden?  With the recent upheaval, I imagine my family would look favorably upon additional assistance."  Quelten eyes the rather young Vorador and demon-blooded Eghas thoughtfully.  "Any additional assistance."

Backpack 3:

• 1000 x ball bearings
  • 10' string, Not Listed; Presumed
  • Bell
  • 5 x Candles
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer
  • 10 x Pitons
  • Hooded Lantern
  • 2 x Oil Flasks
  • 5 x Rations
  • Tinderbox
  • Waterskin
  • 50' Hemp Rope

Quelten looks in the chest and graps the lamp and both flasks of oil, as well as one of the bars of soap.  "Of course, if the group is truly disinterested in visiting my family estates, perhaps we can simply hire a messenger to inform them that I will be unable to return, despite having survived the siege.  I imagine Crimson League will be sending a patrol in that direction sooner or later, and leaving a message with them should see it arrive home eventually.  Either way, I was given over to the priesthood to serve.  Clearly, this group has been given into my charge by the gods, and I will not desert it, whichever path it chooses."

Quelten looks over the rest of the assembled loot before grabbing the second longbow, a quiver of arrows, a trio of daggers, and a hand axe.

Quelten gathers up all the coin he can find and begins dividing it into six equal piles, giving Elan'fal a sharp look as he does so.  "And Barret, for all that you do not currently feel any need to take any of this coin, you should reconsider.  Let us divide it evenly amongst us, and those who don't want theirs may yield it up as they choose.  I for one would suggest keeping a hold of it against future needs.  Or tithing it to your church when you arrive.  But the gods do not often give us gifts such as these, it would be a sin to waste this bounty, or decline it."

post-65-0-96039000-1418769715_thumb.jpg

"Innil your bow is welcome." I look at the younger Cleric with a raised eyebrow "Quelten, I would suggest avoiding the legion at all costs, we do not know their intention. I only refuse the coin because I am sure Vindayn would offer it as a payment for the kind deeds all of you have done here. Look we don't know very much about each other even though we have spent the last three months together but staying together is going to keep us all alive. But we work as a team, no one is in charge." I look at Quelten again. "No one. We have all shown we have abilities that can help each other. I only recommend the Iron Wood as it seems a logical choice to me. Are the rest of you coming with or do you have a better idea. Either way we need to get going."

Vorador shuffles his feet but seeing the others are willing to accept him, he kneels down beside the smallest Orakin, a young looking Halforc, and pulls the studded leather armor off. He pours a little wine on the wet blood on the collar and uses the young Halforc's undershirt to scrub off as much as possible before dressing himself in the armor. He glances over with a slight hint of a grin, "Bolt to the neck, it is like brand new and it doesn't fit too bad! Not even Orc made!"

He then shrugs as he realizes there are going to be several Orakin daggers left. He slides six of them into sheaths then uses a cut off pant leg of the Halforc to fashion a makeshift bandoleer and drapes it over his neck. He also takes one of the two slings since his is more of a makeshift one and is pretty threadbare in some areas. He looks at the books but shakes his head, the smaller feet of the Gnoll boots he took fit his smaller feet better than the wider soles of the smaller Halforc's nicer boots.

He glances over at Eghas, "look, there is no way I am going to do much with a battle axe, great sword, or even the spiked gauntlets, so you may as well take what you are after and I'll grab something I can use."

Looking around at the group, Eghas nods to himself, and waits.  He does not speak while everyone else is, waiting till they have chosen their equipment.  once it is only he and Vorador who have not chosen, he walks up to the packs, and picks them both up.  he takes a moment to weight them in his mind.  once satisfied, he slowly moves over to the young lad, and hands him pack number 4. 

"This is the lighter of the two, and from what i have seen, would be better equipped for what skills i have seen you posses.  However, once we are out of the city, if you would like, we can go through my pack and see if there is anything that you may wish to have in it."  He smiles gently at the boy, then pats him on the shoulder.  "I'll do what i can to teach you what i can.  for now though, you are correct."  Eghas looks over the equipment and picks up a small crossbow, a short sword, the remaining nice long sword, a mace, and 4 daggers, after checking them finding the ones that are the best balanced for throwing.   He then grabs a set of studded leather, the best set he can find, as well as better clothing.  he then grabs as much food as he can, and stuffs it all in his pack.  finally he finds a large hooded cloak that one of the Orakin was wearing, pulls it off, looks it over to make sure it's somewhat clean, then puts it on over his new clothing. 

He then picks up the flail, looks it over, smiles, and nods to himself.  he then hands it to Vorador with a smile.  "It looks like you would like this."  He then checks out a few more of the daggers till he finds four more that are well balanced, and hands those to the kid as well.  finally he picks of the sling and hands that over as well.  "Anything else you want?"

Elan'fal smiles at himself seeing the humans' antics.

"It is such a strange thing. As an elf I have no use of any of this. In a thousand years, two thousand years anything, everything and everyone in this room except the other elves will be dead. And yet I require that I work with them to survive. I require that I use this short staff and the coins and other things." He thinks to himself.

"I have no problem with going to the Quelten's house to check if it is still standing, maybe help for payment, if it is in our way.  We need to get out of the city fast, as brother  Barret said we know nothing of the legion's intentions or who hired them. I would not go near them even for a letter. Mercenaries have no loyalties to no one but themselves...I know that too well." He says to all standing there then turns to the younger children.

He walks to them and kneels to their height. He smiles as best he can and whispers something in elven tongue touching their foreheads. "Farewell, I hope you make it into the next village or town, I am sorry that I cannot help you more."

"I am ready. We can depart as soon as you are." He says to all.

Vorador gives a slight nod and pulls off the belt of the Orakin who had been carrying the flail. He pulls off the rings for holding the handle and puts them on his own belt. he then slides the flail into the rings and adjusts the whole ting so it fits on him properly. He then moves over to the chest and pulls out two hunks of soap, the perfume and sealing wax and puts it in his pack before putting the pack on. Finally he takes one of the map cases, puts the five sheets of paper in it, the ink, and pen. his voice is very soft when he speaks and he cringes as if expecting a rebuttal, but still talks just loud enough for everyone to hear. "Um,  I'm not saying we smell or nothing... um... but, I am looking at lots more soap and we don't exactly smell good after taking the shower from the cold rain coming though the storm grate."

He lets out a long sigh, "The better weapons would also sell... and... um, yeah, whatever you all want." 

I laugh and grab a bar of soap. "Vorader, we stink. and unless we want to attract the attention of unfriendlies out there we should try to find a safe place to clean ourselves quickly." I heft the pack onto my shoulders and look around the room for anything else that might be useful. "We should double check everything if it isn't nailed down and you can fit it in your pack grab it." After scouring the room and helping pack everything of use up I head to the door. At the door I stop and look back at everyone. "Well I guess we are in for an adventure." I turn and head out the door.

"Vorador, there is still a crossbow left. As good as you are with that sling you might want to see if you are also good with the crossbow. It would give you a longer reach. I will teach you what I can as well little half brother."

Then I slip out the door behind Barrett.

Looks around to see if there is anything else that is useful, while making sure his new crossbow is loaded, and ready to go.  Once he is satisfied that he has everything he needs, and is ready, he follows the rest out of the small inn.  "Let us see what the Gods have in store for us now.  It will certainly be better then being under this city."

Seeing that no one else has grabbed them, Quelten gives into his greed and picks up the three sets of fine clothes remaining as well as the spiked gauntlets.  Using a dagger, he cuts some clothes up into rags, which he uses to package the six mounds of coins together.  "Seeing as how Barret, who has elected himself our leader, has decided it's time to leave..." he pitches his voice to carry out the door, smiling.   After a moment he continues in a more normal tone of voice, "Would someone help me cart the gear no one else wants?  If nothing else, Barret is right, we can sell it for additional funds."  Gesturing at the small pouches of coins, he adds, "And each of you may feel free to pick up one of these pouches of coin, of course.  If someone doesn't want theirs, I'll hold onto it until they happen to need funds.  I suggest using some string out of your pack, or cutting yourself a leather thong, or something similar, and bind them up a little tighter than folded cloth alone allows."

Suiting action to words, Quelten takes the string from his pouch and uses it to cinch one of the packs a bit tighter before slipping it into a pocket.  "I suggest we pile the excess gear into the chest, and then we can take turns carrying it, each pair bearing it between them in turn."

Hearing Quelten I stop and step back into the inn. " You can hold on to mine for me and here is some string to tie it with. How about you and I take the first turn if everyone agrees to your suggestion?" I say to Quelten suiting action to words. "Has anyone seen any copper wire? I could use a small bit." I ask the group.

Vorador takes the offered coins then eyes the battle axe and massive two handed sword. He as already weighted down some, but those are valuable, worth dozens of griffins, He sighs, before electing to grab the long sword and putting it over his back. It too will sell. He starts out the door but just can't stand it. He hefts up the axe and carries it in both hands as he jogs to catch up to the others.

the streets are littered with dead Gnolls and orakin, most of the bodies have been looted, but not all. Junior members of the Legion are using large wagons with heavy draft horses tossing the dead onto them. They are being guarded by a pair of senior Legion members who eye you, but one of those who you first met moves out and waves them off. You six, follow me. I will get you safely out the south gate since you have been granted loot and passage by our Lieutenant.

Half a dozen times you have to detour aournd street fighting, some of it very heavy. At one point you have to halt and are told to get down. Just as you dive Behind a water trough, two Legion members with silver trim on ttheir cloaks move up an a nasty battle going on just down the street from you one unleashes a massive fireball while the other targets a Gnoll spellcaster with a bolt of electricity. Four buildings are left bburnings, as are over a score of Gnolls. The spell caster, what is left of him, twitches off to the side as the last of the electrical bolt causes its dead form to jerk.

It takes almost an hour to make it the normally 10 minute walk to the south gate. When you get there, you can see part of the wall no longer exisist. It looks like massive boulders and probably a fair amount of magic was used to tear down a section of the wall. Just outside the wall you see throngs of people, most look shocked others sobbing and yet others calling out for loved ones. There are even a few who are complaining about being forced out of the city. The loudest and most obnoxious are threatened with a clubbing the few who are hard headed enough to try to get back in quickly end up unconscious by a club or gauntleted backhand. They are then dragged off to the side and left lying on the cold ground with nothing in the way of remorse on the faces of the Legion forces.

for those who are accepting of the fact they are being kicked out of the city a loaf of bread and a hunk of dried and cured meat are given along with a plain heavy wool cloak. A small wagon full of sugar sticks sits off to the side and children are given one of them as well. Children who are obviously alone are pointed toward a dozen massive tents with a ring of Legion guards protecting it. From your vantage point, and even though the clouds are dark and heavy looking with a few rogue snowflakes drifting out of them, you can see sections of the city are in flames and there is lots of smoke coming from the docks.

While most of the commoners look around and aimlessly wander down the road leading to the north, you and a pair of others who look more adventurous and equipped are directed to a small tent with gold trim. The young Legionarre escorting you, glaces over, "The captain has asked to meet with anyone we think may be of help in this situation. If you agree to talk with him, you will get two more loaves of bread and three hunks of meat along with another cloak. Other equipment may be granted as well if you accept the task he has in mind. If not you are free to go. Stay north if you do head out on your own either with or without seeing my captain. We are getting reports of Gnoll, and Orakin raiders and reinforcements coming down from the hills; good luck to all of you!

I look to Innil and the rich human. "I understand that we could sell some of those, but it may be unwise to burden us with more than each of us can carry when we have no base of operations, will have to travel constantly and may have to fight in a moment's notice. I did however see some coper wire by that other pile..." I point to a pile of items to Innil's left then I leave following Barrett and Vorador.

I can feel magic pulsating in the streets of Old port as explosions wreak havoc here and there.

When we reach the City's gates I have a feeling as if the vision before me should surprise me but it really does not. "Mercenaries up to their usual whatnot...I wonder who pays them this time?" I whisper rather loudly more to myself than to anyone else.

I hear the legionnaire speak and I look to the others to see what they're thinking or want.

Eghas moves over to the young boy, Vorador, and holds out his hand.  "Let me carry one of those."  He said indicating the axe and great sword.  Following the Legionnaire, Eghas is shocked to see how much damage and destruction has befallen this once grand city.  (At least grand to his mind). 

Outside the city, and after hearing the soldiers words, he looks around at his new group of companions, and shrugs.  "I see no harm in listening to what the Captain says.  They did not need to do what they did for us, but they did.  Perhaps he will have a task that will give our group a direction.  That is never a bad thing."

Quelten looks over at Barrett, a small smile dancing on his lips.  "Well, Brother Barrett, what does our leader think we should do?  For myself, ltalking to this captain will give us information if nothing else.  And at this point, with food, weapons, and coin, information is our greatest need.  And the favor of a powerful mercenary unit is nothing to sneer at, either.  Though before that, I think we should distribute the largesse we have been granted.  We have no need of this gear, and while we could certainly sell it, I think these refugees could benefit greatly.  Being sent out into the wilderness without a weapon isn't exactly a death sentence, but neither is it something I would anticipate them surviving."