Play by post Role Playing

ken barber

I would put forth the simple solution. Well simple in my mind, anyway. This is a game with a story of sorts. Sex is not essential to a story, at least not here on the forums. Therefore, there will be no sex in any PbP game here at castle forum. To kiss, or hold hands or a side reference to sneaking off is fine. But nothing graphic or descriptive will be permitted be it minors or adults.

I can tell you right now. Anything of a sexual nature will find it being heavily moderated. There is lies the problem, that will disrupt the flow of the game and story. If I find something that I find unacceptable and in violation of forum posting standards, I will pull it, that will disrupt the game and lead to confusion. Thus best to simply avoid it all together.

I would put forth the simple solution. Well simple in my mind, anyway. This is a game with a story of sorts. Sex is not essential to a story, at least not here on the forums. Therefore, there will be no sex in any PbP game here at castle forum. To kiss, or hold hands or a side reference to sneaking off is fine. But nothing graphic or descriptive will be permitted be it minors or adults.

I can tell you right now. Anything of a sexual nature will find it being heavily moderated. There is lies the problem, that will disrupt the flow of the game and story. If I find something that I find unacceptable and in violation of forum posting standards, I will pull it, that will disrupt the game and lead to confusion. Thus best to simply avoid it all together.

I have no prob with that.

And hey doesn't have to be you :P there's more mods now out there :P

I am having reservations about this.  Sex in RP, that's between the persons involved, but should never become part of the game play, storyline or extraneous posting.  Do like in the old black and white movies days.  Suggest it, state that it happened or it has caused a relationship change of status, but let it be accepted as done.  We don't need to see behind the curtain to know if it's raining outside.

So I propose the following for ratification before anything else is said. 

1. Sexual descriptions should be limited to impressions, visual descriptions of individuals, reactions to individuals and public displays of affection.  Anything that gets into sexual techniques, genital activities or involves back and forth character reactions to each others advances, that sort of thing is best left off any postings here.

2. Adult-Child relationships should not involve sex.  It could be a backdrop thing, as a crime.  It could be a "long ago" event, but should not be part of any story lines going forwards.  Let's just keep ourselves out of that potential quagmire.  Plot points to the contrary, we can find much better things to put into stories, especially with this group of creators and writers here.

3. A background, or backgrounds need to be decided upon.  Genre, time, mood, boundaries, all these need to be agreed upon.  We don't need Jedi facing off against Knights of Camelot, or Old West Gunslingers crossing paths with the cast of Star Trek.  Well, unless that's the scenario.  But some general rules should be set down per RP scenario.  Characters should be approved by who ever runs each RP. 

Er... anyone like these, or do we need to add more?

OK:

the base starting point for any play by post RPG is backdrop-

Fantasy, modern, sci-fi

and setting

how does everyone know each other starting off and where are they.

for things to progress any further those questions need to be answered

Could be that the GM sets a story progresses it up to a point and then everyone else have to write their intro post. Where they are, who they are what they see, and how it relates/links to GM's first post.

I think I'd like us to start with a fantasy setting, neither LOTR, D&D but maybe good parts of both Lores...

I am having reservations about this.  Sex in RP, that's between the persons involved, but should never become part of the game play, storyline or extraneous posting.  Do like in the old black and white movies days.  Suggest it, state that it happened or it has caused a relationship change of status, but let it be accepted as done.  We don't need to see behind the curtain to know if it's raining outside.

So I propose the following for ratification before anything else is said. 

1. Sexual descriptions should be limited to impressions, visual descriptions of individuals, reactions to individuals and public displays of affection.  Anything that gets into sexual techniques, genital activities or involves back and forth character reactions to each others advances, that sort of thing is best left off any postings here.

2. Adult-Child relationships should not involve sex.  It could be a backdrop thing, as a crime.  It could be a "long ago" event, but should not be part of any story lines going forwards.  Let's just keep ourselves out of that potential quagmire.  Plot points to the contrary, we can find much better things to put into stories, especially with this group of creators and writers here.

3. A background, or backgrounds need to be decided upon.  Genre, time, mood, boundaries, all these need to be agreed upon.  We don't need Jedi facing off against Knights of Camelot, or Old West Gunslingers crossing paths with the cast of Star Trek.  Well, unless that's the scenario.  But some general rules should be set down per RP scenario.  Characters should be approved by who ever runs each RP. 

Er... anyone like these, or do we need to add more?

I can agree with those and I think some stuff are bound to come up when we start the first RP...

I am going to give my take on a play by post in a fantasy situation then: LotR is an ok system, but the middle earth backdrop is kind of limiting and the racial aspect could make it difficult. D&D is much more flexible on this.

The D&D 5th ed system is now fully out and is very easy to play. World creation is wide open too.

D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and even 3rd Ed are all decent systems to, but Pathfinder is very badly tilted to a high power and lots of magic campaign which would be hard to run on a play by post.

Also, the intro rules for D&D 5th ed are open and do not have to be bought, so using the intro system would allow everyone to get information on base rules.

those are my thoughts

I am going to give my take on a play by post in a fantasy situation then: LotR is an ok system, but the middle earth backdrop is kind of limiting and the racial aspect could make it difficult. D&D is much more flexible on this.

The D&D 5th ed system is now fully out and is very easy to play. World creation is wide open too.

D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and even 3rd Ed are all decent systems to, but Pathfinder is very badly tilted to a high power and lots of magic campaign which would be hard to run on a play by post.

Also, the intro rules for D&D 5th ed are open and do not have to be bought, so using the intro system would allow everyone to get information on base rules.

those are my thoughts

Well I didn't want middle earth just the best elements of both worlds and then a plot and come what may... for example you are the GM, you also can have a char. I create a char (usually an elf...what else is there? :P) D'Art... creates a char... and so on and then we interact with each other and the plot and whateverer else comes our way until we reach an ending or everyone is bored we abandon it and create something else.

So are we thinking of more than one universe setting?  I see that a D&D/epic medieval style game would be popular.  Any other genres that people might like?

Star Wars is bound to be popular...

Something with Settlers of Earth in a new world? What alien species they meet, how they handle themselves on the new planet etc.

Space opera theme? (Not Star Trek) but similar of our own making.

Either fantasy (D&D, LOTR) or sci-fi (Star Wars style) is good with me. I am a fan of both.   I also tend to have an elf or half-elf char, AB. :D 

I also agree that sex descriptions do not need to be in the game.

On a side note after catching up with all the posts on here I'm beginning to see why AB also goes by 'energizer bunny.' :P LOL

star wars way too sci fi and campy for me

I'd have to bow out of that one

How about Earth colonization of other planet(s)? 

or Space opera? (LIke star trek all or most of the RP inside the spaceship) but plz not Star Trek lol I'll bow out of that one :P

Either fantasy (D&D, LOTR) or sci-fi (Star Wars style) is good with me. I am a fan of both.   I also tend to have an elf or half-elf char, AB. :D 

I also agree that sex descriptions do not need to be in the game.

On a side note after catching up with all the posts on here I'm beginning to see why AB also goes by 'energizer bunny.' :P LOL

Hahaha :D you can thank Ken for that one :P