America - Do We Really Want To Be First?

Rilbur

Some of this is rather obviously partisan politics.  For example, the bit where they put our military spending right next to our weapons exportation is deliberately set up to create a false impression that one effects the other directly.  And the bit about the weapons per capita... well, honestly, I don't find that the least bit alarming, despite what the liberal media would prefer.  And I'm not sure I buy the caloric intake level mentioned or that it's automatically a bad thing.  They should have focused on obesity rates instead.  For example, I could see a lot of that caloric rating vanish if they're simply judging by the caloric content of food purchased without taking into consideration cooking.  (Boiling veggies, for example, vastly reduces their caloric content, hence why you should steam them).

But it's still an interesting read!

Rilbur I do agree that most everything we see and hear today has a political slant to it and I admire you willingness to point it out in your argument. I agree it is slanted but there are some really great tidbits of information in there. I am a patriot, a decorated veteran of 8 years of service and I love this country but I am not willing to turn a blind eye to its faults the article you shared does point out some of those faults and thank you for sharing it. 

By the way the Obesity rate in the US is in my opinion a better example of where we are going wrong.

post-65-0-66989000-1416848712_thumb.gif

I would be much happier if the Government would cut the flow off to people and force them to work before they are given a dime and I am damned sick of us giving our money away to people who hate us, so our foreign subsidies needs to take a serious cutback. Money for our military just like money for education needs to be cut, but in the right ways. as far as intake of calories, sugar, or other personal desires, that is what a free country should be about, same with gun ownership.  Obesity rates would go down if the Government would stop making us fear everything and let kids be kids again. it is to the point where we need protection from the government, not the government protecting us since they do a piss poor job of it!

ken,

facts are what the facts are because we let them become facts by the actions of our government.

Facts are where you make a clear statement based on a specific item of information that can be verified (or dis-proven in the event that the fact is wrong).  They can be readily distinguished from a rambling diatribe that moves from topic to topic without bothering to fully articulate your position on any given single topic.

For example, you could readily argue that the reason why medical expenses are so much higher in the US is because most other nations put a cap on the amount companies can charge for medicine (fact).  As a result, the companies raise the price in the US to subsidize their losses elsewhere.  (Opinion based on that fact)