Sci-fi movies and series....

A.B

series- Star Trek (yes AB I know the acting is bad but as a kid I didn't care), Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Battlestar Galactica, and Stargate.

movies- almost all the Star Trek ones including the two newest ones, Harry Potter (fantasy), Dune (could have been done better though), Eragon, Star Wars

the order has no meaning just when I thought of them.

oh yeah looooove Harry Potter :D Eragon movie was horrible but I loved the books, star wars i love both graphic novels and movies and series and games lol Star trek I love everything except the original series.  BSG, SG and Bab 5 are amongst my all time favs :D

It has been my experience, wonder if it is true for others, if I watch a movie before reading the book(s) I generally enjoy the movie. If I have read the books and then watch the movie, I do not enjoy the movie or detest it altogether.

An example. The Hunt for Red October. My mom read the book, I did not. We went to watch the movie. I loved it, she hated it and nit picked at what the movie did wrong or left out. I later read the book and loved it but it did not detract from the movie. I could say, though, that the movie could of been done a bit differently or it could of included more from the book, but I still loved the movie.

HBO has the series Game of Thrones, LOVE IT!!!. I did not realize it was based on books until a few episodes into the first season. I debated if I wanted to get the books and read them, while the series was still on going. I took a chance and got the entire set. I now know what is coming before the new season starts. But that does not bother me, as I found reading the book while watching the show actually filled in some blanks for me. But I realize, that because I have now read the books and know what is coming, I might find myself being a bit more critical about future episodes. That might be true, but at the same time, I am not sure that it will detract from my love the series, because I fell in love with it before I even knew there were books.

Oh I wouldn't worry about Game of thrones HBO has said that they won't follow the books if it doesn't suit their "artistic views on the scenario", basically meaning "If we don't like something in the book and want to depict it differently for whatever reason we'll do it our way" lol

Hey Zach! Generally that is true but I have found a couple of  exceptions. The Harry Potter series is one; probably because the movies stayed very close to the books including having some dialogue from the books actually said in the movies. Another is Twilight also stayed close to the books.

Eragon (the movie) needed to have stayed closer the book. It might have done better and spawned more movies from the sequels.

Another is the Percy Jackson series. I think the first movie should have stayed a little closer to the book but they did better with the second movie. Wonder if they will continue to the end of the first series.

True about Eragon, luckily I saw the movie before I read the books. Loved both the movies and the books of Harry Potter. 

Now you have to like the original just a little; after all without it we wouldn't have the rest. :P 

AB- That last line was supposed to say the original Trek.

If they plan to do the rest of the Percy Jackson books as movies (which i would gladly welcome) they need to hop too it, their cast no longer look like the kids' they're supposed to be.  Especially if they want to get into the second series.  That franchise is experiencing the same problem the 3 Ninja's movies did, having to replace the kids as the movies went along.  Then again, only three of those movies were good, lol, and even then, one of them was only released to video and suffered horribly from both bad editing and the two older boys hitting growth spurts during production.

Wow! I have seen the first three movies and have two of them on VHS. Only one boy was the same in all three of those movies: Colt. Rocky was different in one movie and I'm not sure if Tum-tum is the same in any of the movies.

True about the Percy movies but they did start them off older in the movies than in the books.

Tum Tum and Rocky changed from Kunckle Up to Kick Back.  Colt hit his growth spurt at the right time.  I don't think Tum Tum liked acting, much less martial arts so much (he had the worst parts of the movies).  Would be interesting to see a 3 Ninjas movie with them in high school or college.

Percy really should have been a younger actor.  Going with an up and coming star screwed things up.  No one will view him as a younger teen now that he's done "Wallflower" and is on to war movies.  Shame, they did get more of the second movie right.  Love seeing mythology given a modern twist.

Yeah, if their going to do the others they may need to do like LOTR and film the whole thing at once and then release them one by one before the cast gets too old.

Kind of like Star Wars; have you seen how old Harrison Ford and Mark Hamel look. And Harrison got hurt during filming.

Well, the first Star Wars production was in the mid 70's.  And Mark Hamel was in that horrible car wreck that nearly killed him between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.  If you look at Luke's face during the Taun Taun scene, that scar on his face was already there, because of the accident.  The whole opening scene like that was written just to explain that scar.

Oh definitely with you on both of those, Kyle.  Space: Above and Beyond had the unfortunate double whammy of being a science fiction show on Fox and being slotted opposite football.  They had great ideas in that show.  Wish they'd take another stab at it.  Sci-Fi channel could use something with starfighters again.