Can you Spare A Quarter By Tiger Paw

ken barber

• 1 month later...

I think this is the best story I have read in 2014. I read a lot, and while I have read many great books and stories this year, including several that I love on this site - you know who you are...grin - I have to be honest and say my heart is ripped in shreds when I read this one. Not in a bad way - no, I find myself struggling to read through the tears of joy at the love and redemption and care and heart of the people who begin to surround themselves in a protective shield against any more pain for the protagonist. That kind of human grace and love touches something in me like nothing else can. This should be a must read on anyone's list for the sheer power of it's ability to alter your soul. Fair warning - better have a box of Kleenex nearby, and don't read this in public like I have twice. It's embarrassing...

• 6 months later...

Wow we're famous!

Well it'd be nice to claim that I'm a wonderfully accomplished writer and a master of English prose, and that I'm just brimming over with plot twists and turns ... but even an elementary scan of the story blows the first part right out of the water.  It's the first thing I ever did like this, and after the fact I can see loads of mistakes.  As for brimming over with ideas, Jamie will be the first to tell you that I'm not an imaginative person.  I could never come up with something like this out of thin air.  All I can say is that I felt a bit like it was coming from elsewhere and my fingers were just transcribing it.

I think I mentioned when it was first being posted that I created it for two main reasons.  In those very early days I wanted to tell Jamie something, but I knew I could not use the three words that had been so horribly misused.  They meant nothing to him, in fact it was worse than that, they caused instant suspicion.  So I hit on this as a way of showing by deed what I felt.  The second reason was to give people who had mostly been reading "man meets boy, man has lots of money, boy is instantly happy and back to normal" stuff that this is not what real life is like.  It's far far more complicated.

And of course if Jamie had not suffered as he did, and if I'd not met him, well it never would have happened at all.

Anyway, for a bumbler who never wrote anything before in his life, and never has since ... I think it worked.

Oh and as for the rewrite ... it's still in "one of these days" status.  It's at about 90% and it's been there for ... I can't remember how many years.  One of these days ...   :)

Thanks again to all who voted and all those who read.

I seen this on top this morning and was shocked thanks to all who made it the readers choice for the moth I feel honoured and I have a wonderful pop who did a great thing for me.  I know while it may not be a best selling novel I am proud of how it is written. and more then honoured as to why it was written. 

Love you pop and thanks.  this always means the most to me they need a hug emoticon on here but this will have to due…. 

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs always}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hey, Jamie, Tigerpaw and to Jason;

I always said I was sending you guys hugs whenever I wrote. Now though . . . .

:images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1): 

Here's two for each of you for a great story and for getting to know you guys a little. (I think that is as many emoticons as is allowed per post or I'd send more.)

Here's two for each of you for a great story and for getting to know you guys a little. (I think that is as many emoticons as is allowed per post or I'd send more.)

On behalf of all three of us, I thank you.  

:images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1):  :images (1): 

heres a couple for you as well thanks  :images (1):  :images (1):

• 1 year later...

Johnny, At the request of the author the story was removed from our lineup. As for if the story is hosted elsewhere, I am not aware of another location. However one of our other staff or members might be able to assist you if they know of another location. We are sorry that you were inconvenienced in any way but we have to respect the wishes of our authors and how they want their stories presented or in this case not presented.

• 2 weeks later...

A very dissrubing story in itself, to think it is a true story. Jamie's story as sad as it is, ended well. A reminder thou that not all stories end well is well stated within. Thou Jamie's life has been cut short of his 32nd year. He has left us all an endeering story. One,  I dare say we will not soon forget.