Happy Halloween

ken barber

Happy Halloween everyone.

The Fall is my favorite time of year. Living in New England I get to see the amazing change in the trees plus the cool winds push sticky summers away. Fall is a time of change and creativity. Halloween embodies that concept. we use costumes to change ourselves into out very imaginative fantasies. While growing up Trick or Treating was more about the costumes than the candy (my old self really believes this) we started working on Halloween costumes in September and made them ourselves.(with mom's help).

I still remember the year my two older brothers and I decided we all were going to be Knights. We gathered resources and began using encyclopedia's and books to find what actual armor looked like. (we  didn't have goggle back then). It was one of the few times all three of us got along and worked together. One of my brothers was very good at drawing and stuff so he painted these amazing crests on out shields. (plywood). (And yes at preteen and young teen we used the power tools and hand tools with minimal supervision). I created Armor plates out of Fabric glued to cardboard and actually attached little rivets and straps. In the end the The Knights looked awesome. and we had a blast. 

Wooo sounds like great fun, I think my fav. time of the year -even if I live in the country of light and perpetual summer :P (Greece)- is winter...I can't stand the heat and sweating and I love sleeping under the duvet nice and warm. Although you know summer, nice bodies in speedos and bikinis :P

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome memory about you and your brothers being Knights for Halloween. I remember Halloween was special in my childhood also. I always made or came up with a home made costume also, but mostly because of money. We had none. My mom was very creative and sewed well. The best one was when we went to the thrift store and bought a dress and some old girls shoes. We got a mask from someone of a girls face and I put that on the back of my head. Mom sewed half the dress onto the back half of my church suit. I even had an old fedora that Mom glued lace and flowers to the back side of it. Then Dad actually got involved and attached half of the girls shoes to the back side of some old church shoes we got at the thrift store also. I still have no idea how he did it. But he had to point them up a bit so I could walk. It was "groovy" and I won the best costume at the church party. I was a girl in the back and a boy in the front. 

Thanks for triggering the great memory.