Deaf Writer

Mr Crown

I have been deaf since birth and now in my mid-life crises age. Always wanted to be a writer but cannot write the same way as those who have normal hearing. 

I really need MAJOR help, someone who understands deaf culture and helping me write in a way that normal hearing people enjoy reading. My writing now might be at a High School level which is embarrassing. 

So, if there is anyone willing to help me, it would require lots of patients and understanding.

Thanks,

Mr. Crown

BTW, I already posted this message in the wrong area, but I think I got it right this time.

I can't help you directly since I don't possess that knowledge but maybe I can help you indirectly. Did a google search for "author tools for deaf". got a wiki page for published authors who are deaf, maybe by reading some of their bios and/or pubished work you can acquire some knowledge on what you asked above, how to write a story in a way that "normal" or lets call it "people who don't have hearing impairments" can read and enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaf_writers

unfortunately and it was "weird" except some scientific papers on increasing litteracy on deaf people's needs etc there wasn't any further useful pages, like maybe a page 'how to write a story if you have hearing impairment issues" or anything similar...maybe if/after you have written your first story(ies) you can create a blog/page and write about the experience/method/what helped you etc for future aspiring authors with the same set of issues as you.

next I did a google search for "creative writing for the deaf" maybe this would yield some more comprehensive/useful links:

I got this which may be of some help:

http://deafness.about.com/od/deafliteratureandfun/a/literarycorner.htm

the above link has some more stories written by deaf/hard of hearing people but it also has Autobiographies so maybe one or more of those will have authors' experiences on how/what they did to start writing/methods etc which may be of help to you.

nad.org/ national assosiation of the deaf, maybe a link in their resources, or an email to support/someone in the association will lead you to link(s)/online resources that will be of help to you.

http://nad.org/contactus

don't have to tell them you want to write erotica, be more vague or half true like "I have been deaf since birth and now in my mid-life crises age. Always wanted to be a writer but cannot write the same way as those who have normal hearing.  I would like to start writing stories/short stories but I really need MAJOR help, someone who understands deaf culture and helping me write in a way that normal hearing people enjoy reading. My writing now might be at a High School level which will not allow my stories to develop as I would like them to."

you ought to receive some answer from them.

unfortunately again nothing more concrete but maybe if you do a more vague or in the antipodal more specific search it will yield better results.

Hope it helps even in a small way but also since Ken barber has posted it means that CR staff know of your plight, if they can help they always do, they are great! :D

• 3 weeks later...

the real question is what type of help do you need or want? It has been almost two decades, but I worked with a special needs Boy Scout troop in the late 80's and a couple of them were deaf from birth. I helped both with school work including writing book reports. Where do you see yourself needing assistance?