what irks you about my works

Kyle Aarons

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Kyle's stories can now be found at Kyle Aarons]

I have spent years asking ofr negitive feedback. Things you as a reader dislike, hate or just find generally bad. This is a place to vet to this author and I will take no offense. Instead, I will thankyou for being honest.

This is a chance for you, the reader, to help me make my works better or simply point out things I do you find annoying, Whatever irks you about any of my stories. Here is the chance and I am asking for it!

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

Well Funny you should ask. I am not sure there is enough room on this forum. Just teasing. The only issue I have with your work is the repeated and over indulged descriptions of minor details. I love a detailed story but too many details slows the pace down and I feel like I loose track of the story and find myself backing up to figure out what it was you were describing.

Your stories really are great and entertaining so this is a minor annoyance I can live with some of the detailed descriptions I just skim over to keep moving forward.

Hope this doesn't offend You asked us to share. This has not stopped me from ready your stories.

Hello Kyle,

I guess this isn't a criticism, lol, but a comment on Ken's comment.  Personally I prefer the details because it helps visualize what you are envisioning.  This might be though because part of it is I also write, but even before I began to write I enjoyed the stories with a lot of description.  I do agree though that too much can become a distraction so I suppose it is about striking a balance.  In my own writings I'm probably just as guilty of being too detailed oriented, but in the types of stories you write where the science fiction genre is used then there is an expectancy I suppose for some of these descriptions.  I mean when you talk about weapons and vehicles there has to be those details otherwise we can't envision what you are talking about.  So I would have to say it comes down to the story and situation.  We also have to keep in mind everyone has their own preferences.  Some enjoy a lot of details and others prefer to keep things moving along and use their imaginations with only a minimum amount of details included in a story.  I've found that the more I've written the more detail oriented I've become.  After my break from writing I plan on once more getting back to some of my simpler kinds of writing by cutting back on some of those details.  I think maybe mixing and matching sort of satisfies readers all the way around.  Like I said everyone has their preferences, and I for one enjoy the details; especially, when it comes to your sci-fi stories with all the weapons, machines, and equipment.  I mean sure you could say a laser gun or what-not, but there is a lot more to some of the weaponry you describe in your stories so it is important to get at least some basic details on them.  I think though once it is described in great detail once it isn't necessary later on in a story so can simply be shortened.

Hunter is absolutely correct it is a matter of Preference some readers want loads of detail some like myself just want the basics. If you me tell the character is using a Laser gun with multiple settings  I am good. If you tell me...George is using a BFG 9000 laser gun with multiple fire selection, Single which pumps out a 1 second laser beam, burst uses a 3 one second beams, continuous is a steady stream of laser fire that the character can keep active as long as he keeps his finger on the button, the BFG 9000 also comes with a plasma bomb launcher mounted underneath the Titanium stock that launches a 3 kiloton plasma war head. Georges BFG 9000 was custom made to his requirements giving him dual sites thermal and ACOG easily switching between the two with a flip of the switch located by the thumb guard. Georges had his BFG9000 made in pink camouflage because he wanted to make a statement about his own sexuality.

All I read is George is using a BFG 9000 laser gun with multiple fire selection.

However some people love that kind of detail. and 10 points to Hufflepuff for anyone that knows what the BFG 9000 is 

The BFG 9000 is a gun from the DOOM game if I am not mistaken.

and Yeah, I would probably go overboard in describing that it shoots a powerful green beam, is massive, looking more like a cannon than a rifle, and on and on... (But I would have fun in doing so :P )

and this is kind of the problem, I enjoy describing things in detail sometimes and if it is fun for me it keeps me wanting to write.

"and this is kind of the problem, I enjoy describing things in detail sometimes and if it is fun for me it keeps me wanting to write." 

Kyle this is not a problem. Notice I am the only one that responded to this. You have a huge following and a loyal reader base, they love your stories. I am one person and trust me I still like your stories.

and yes its from DOOM and is the baddest most awesome gun every fictionally invented.  10 points to Slytherin

Ken,

This is still the kind of comments I am wanting. I need different perspectives on how people view what I write: Thank you for taking the time to respond

P.S. Do you think when they cam up with the nomenclature the BFG really meant "Big F***ing Gun"? I always did.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 small things, both in Kandric...  it has been a while since I have reread it from the start so forgive me if I don't remember them quite accurately.

First. The economics seem to vary.  3 or 4 copper a week is the normal wage for the hard labor guys from the swamp, but then the Connor orphans were getting a couple copper a day for picking stones (one for the kid, one for the owner?), and Hontel and others got a couple copper for running flyers and such for the arena.  Then the overseers kid is told to keep a bunch of gold coins after the set-up.  I know from other things you've said in the past that you have this stuff all mapped out so I wonder what I'm missing.

Second.  Ruin and Rune are different things but seem to get used interchangeably.

For the earlier comment about the detail level...  I like the level where you have it, enough details to give us a good image but too excessive (until the 27th time rereading the story!).

For what it's worth, I haven't found any of your storys that I didn't like, and most I have read and reread so many times I'm surprised they aren't burned into my monitors.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I do have one other complaint for your stories, one I'm sure is shared by many...  they aren't updated nearly often enough!!

Seriously - do what you can when you can, we'll read it when it gets here.

Thanks for your hard work, you and all the writers out there.

I am curious how much interest there would be in a tread of discussion surrounding the Kandric world?

As mentioned above there seems to be some disparity in the economics and I am sure others scratch their head when it comes to how much spell casting can be done, what some of the animals are, what the world as a whole looks like now compared to before the Mything wars, Dragon wars, Garm/Alphar wars, the Elvin/Dwarven wars, and the Drow wars.

I have been asked questions on other key elements in the past such as the massive prevalence of slavery, and while touched on in the story the idea that children are property.

I am sure there are other questions out there, but if I start this thread I want to make sure there is enough interest in it.

I can't really say that what you write or how you write it "irks" me as such.  But I do tend to get a bit frustrated about some things.  I get into ready so many of your stories and then suddenly, there isn't anything and I have to wait for the next installment.  I actually have come to expect it with Kandric.  You actually said years ago that it takes so much out of you that you would only publish one chapter a year on that one.  But there are some that it seems have taken even longer to get a new chapter for.  Re-emergence and Adventure Quest come to mind almost immediately.  Please don't give up on those, although I am sure they take nearly as much research as Kandric does.  

Speaking of Kandric, you mention very early in the story that Kandric has 4 siblings living in the swamps with his mother, yet only 3 have ever been identified.  It could be I'm misreading something, but it still catches my attention after reading it 7 or 8 times (a year).  Just wondering if you are gonna pull something like Wolfwalker did with Jordy in TEEP, that's all.  

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.  

Roger

I am curious how much interest there would be in a tread of discussion surrounding the Kandric world?

As mentioned above there seems to be some disparity in the economics and I am sure others scratch their head when it comes to how much spell casting can be done, what some of the animals are, what the world as a whole looks like now compared to before the Mything wars, Dragon wars, Garm/Alphar wars, the Elvin/Dwarven wars, and the Drow wars.

I have been asked questions on other key elements in the past such as the massive prevalence of slavery, and while touched on in the story the idea that children are property.

I am sure there are other questions out there, but if I start this thread I want to make sure there is enough interest in it.

Readers of "The Kandric Saga" UNITE!!!!!  The Master has spoken and will answer all of your questions!!!!  Let's make it happen!!!!!  (I already made one comment and am thinking up more.)

as far as updates go, that is just me being me. Part of my problem I really can't focus on only one thing (I used to drive teachers flipping NUTZ) I bounce around as my brain decides it is time to bounce and there is no telling when such things are going to happen. I can do three or four chapters of something then simply wake up the next morning with no interest in working on it and move to one of the others that seems 'interesting'. While this is something I know annoys people, it is just who I am. Sorry about that Roger

I can't really say that what you write or how you write it "irks" me as such.  But I do tend to get a bit frustrated about some things.  I get into ready so many of your stories and then suddenly, there isn't anything and I have to wait for the next installment.  I actually have come to expect it with Kandric.  You actually said years ago that it takes so much out of you that you would only publish one chapter a year on that one.  But there are some that it seems have taken even longer to get a new chapter for.  Re-emergence and Adventure Quest come to mind almost immediately.  Please don't give up on those, although I am sure they take nearly as much research as Kandric does.  

Speaking of Kandric, you mention very early in the story that Kandric has 4 siblings living in the swamps with his mother, yet only 3 have ever been identified.  It could be I'm misreading something, but it still catches my attention after reading it 7 or 8 times (a year).  Just wondering if you are gonna pull something like Wolfwalker did with Jordy in TEEP, that's all.  

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.  

Roger

Four is not incorrect although he may have not mentioned their names in the stories.  I asked a character question a few months back, and sure enough Kyle had names (and even the background of their fathers) for all!

The twins she never raised: Aster and the Sorceror-Elf with the King

The banished Dark Forest Elf: Connor
The Siblings currently abducted by a demon: Darmoth, Rathiter
The youngest two, still living with mom: Meggie, Gellor 
And then Kandric himself.

As for having an exclusive Kandric saga thread, I'm all for it.  The only reason why I don't ask more of those questions is that story has only recently started to be posted here, and thus anything I ask about will probably be spoilers to some.

Heck, I'm tempted to make a Kandric wiki (if only for myself) to keep things straight, because there are hundreds of characters by now, the majority I forgot about (like who they are, what they want, affiliations, abilities, age, etc.)

Four is not incorrect although he may have not mentioned their names in the stories.  I asked a character question a few months back, and sure enough Kyle had names (and even the background of their fathers) for all!

The twins she never raised: Aster and the Sorceror-Elf with the King

The banished Dark Forest Elf: Connor

The Siblings currently abducted by a demon: Darmoth, Rathiter

The youngest two, still living with mom: Meggie, Gellor 

And then Kandric himself.

As for having an exclusive Kandric saga thread, I'm all for it.  The only reason why I don't ask more of those questions is that story has only recently started to be posted here, and thus anything I ask about will probably be spoilers to some.

Heck, I'm tempted to make a Kandric wiki (if only for myself) to keep things straight, because there are hundreds of characters by now, the majority I forgot about (like who they are, what they want, affiliations, abilities, age, etc.)

Zergrinch- the number sits at over 300 named people at this point. The vast majority have appeared at least ttwice.

Right now the only thing that irks me is-  After reading your winning Halloween story and being one of the ones who wants you to continue it I wanted to read something of yours but there are too many to choose from. I can't decide which one to try!

Make a list. Close your eyes and point. Bam, choice made. :-D

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Zergrinch,

How dare you ask me about my Non-children? You have no right unless you are from the Alphar Court!

But it seems I am under the same rules Vondum is bound by, which has officially put you on my list as well as Vondum's. How many beings do you want to annoy to this extent, are you even thinking about such things?

So here is the truth:

I was heavy with child, a child I never saw, was never allowed to see back at the Griffin Spires. I was declared a Non-child at that point because I had not formally gone though the Alphar imitation into adulthood yet, was tossed out of the court and had to promise not to use my training or child my father took would be exiled as well. I was told it was a boy, but to be honest I do not even remember the delivery. My Father had a Forget spell cast upon me so I could not even remember having what I was told was a boy. My Father did leave me with the memory of the pain just prior to birth, however, so I am certain I had the child. I also clearly remember being larger than any other pregnant Alphar woman I had ever seen. There were softly spoken snickers that I must have mated with a ogre I was so big around! This child's father I do not speak of. The memory of our love forbids me from giving his name.

I became heavy with child again in a very short time and had the boy within days of arriving in Junsac. This was Conner, now a non-child, but one I am told has done amazing things. How this is possible I do not know, and to be honest do not care. He made his own bed and must lie in it. The boy's father was a Dark Forrest Elf. His name was Cuver; he paid a decent amount of silver to sleep with me. I think he suspected I was former Alphar and wanted bragging rights since he was from a totally mundane line of Elves. Whatever his reason, the coin was enough to get me to Junsac.

The next two are Darmoth and Rathiter, Their father was a River Elf merchant who took fancy to me in Junsac after a few years of living there.  His Name was Scoral. A nice enough River Elf, but mundane as a brick.

Next came Meggie and Gellor, Their farther was a traveling merchant Forest Elf who had coin for me. Since he was the only Elf who was a regular customer, and both my offspring has some of his features, I am all but certain he is their father including his very thin build. Not great in bed, but his coins spent just as well as anyone else who paid for my services.

Finally there is Kandric, father a human miner by the name of Kyvin. The most wonderful being Human or Elf I have ever met. Loved all of my children as his own, and worked till his fingers till they bled to support all of us. He was killed when the mine came down with him in it. I tried, I used everything I had magically to save him and was told that cost my boy in the Griffin Spires his spot among the Alphar, but I failed. He is still under that forsaken hill of copper and tin... Bronze, the metal of the weak. What a waste for such a wonderful man to die to extract what is needed to make it.

There,

You happy now?

Do you have what you are after?

Do me a favor if you are some Ruinseeker trying to trace down my youngsters to ask them whatever you wish to find out. If you find my boy, banished from the Spires, tell him... Tell him I am sorry... But he needs to understand for a chance to save Kyvin, I would do the exact same thing all over again.

Kaylaria,

Elf

Priestess of Vindayin

(I was requested, most politely, to post the reply to your previous request for personal information regarding the children of Kaylaria who are Kandric's siblings.  Slightly more than four.)