What sci-fi book series is your favourite?

A.B

• 10 months later...

I've just finished Rendevous with Rama.  My first Arthur C. Clarke novel!  A fantastic conceit and I thought surprisingly well written (I'd been told by friends that the ideas in his stories always outshone his writing).  Has anyone read the other Rama books?  If so are they worth a punt or am I best leaving it there?

One of the most amazing things about Arthur C Clarke was his writing about satellites in geostationary orbit, which foreshadowed today's telecommunications, making possible multiple channels of satellite television etc. 

I have to admit the only one of his books I ever read was 2001 A Space Odyssey, as well as seeing the film - it is of course a classic. It goes beyond the genre of SciFi to examine the essential question of existence, the ending is not what you might expect.

“The thing’s hollow—it goes on forever—and—oh my God!—it’s full of stars!”    ― Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I haven't read that but I have seen and loved the film of 2001.  Thanks for the rec. What you've said about 2001 matches up fairly well with the questions raised by Rama - our place in the universe and man's search for meaning etc. so I think that it's safe to assume he's keen on the Big Idea's.  Will need to add that to the half a bookcase worth of my 'still to read pile'.