What sci-fi book series is your favourite?

A.B

Hey everyone. Just a friendly reminder, even to myself. This forum is for the discussing of Books and or Authors. Please let's divert our conversation to the purpose of the forum. We can discuss tv and movies in the forum for that purpose.

I would also like to say thank you to everyone who are taking part in the forums and conversations. AWESOME.

When it comes to all the Sci-Fi Books and in reality Films/TV Shows also... the feelings I have is like what I say about my Love/Hate relationship with my local 'City of Books'... "Too many Books/'Films or Shows'... Not enough time in a lifetime to read/'view' even a fraction of them all..."  Though I will keep on trying to read... Watch... as many as I can as long as I can... ;)

PS: I've been re-reading all my old favorite Books Series' 'Pern', 'Dune', 'Ringworld', 'Rama', 'Dark Tower', 'David Eddings Books', 'Raymond Feist Books'... Can anyone recommend anything new/newer that they like... so I can get out of my rut and move into the 21st century of Sci-fi Authors and Books...

Sorry Zach...

Well in the above quote you will find 7 of my top 10 Series of books... can any one suggest any more that I or others should read...

PS: Zach... can a admin. move this topic to the right forum then if it is in the wrong forum...

Have you tried the Darkover books? They are by Marion Zimmer Bradley. There are several different series set on Darkover, a planet that had been settled by early explorers then was lost and regressed into a feudal society. It explores gender roles, use and misuse of psi powers and homosexuality.

denis- AB is too young to appreciate the series that got a lot of us hooked on sci-fi.

Sorry Zach...

Well in the above quote you will find 7 of my top 10 Series of books... can any one suggest any more that I or others should read...

PS: Zach... can a admin. move this topic to the right forum then if it is in the wrong forum...

It is certainly within my call to move the tv/movie related threads to the proper forum. But as long as we move back on topic I will not do so.

Have you tried the Darkover books? They are by Marion Zimmer Bradley. There are several different series set on Darkover, a planet that had been settled by early explorers then was lost and regressed into a feudal society. It explores gender roles, use and misuse of psi powers and homosexuality.

denis- AB is too young to appreciate the series that got a lot of us hooked on sci-fi.

Yeah I just see ppl that cannot act try to act :P :P

I go for more sci-fi fantasy my preferences are LOTR's (all of Tolkien's works)  and the Fable Haven series of books. Also avid into anything dealing with Dungeons and Dragons, another series of books I love are by David Eddings The Belgarian and Belgarath series of book.   Course even being dyslexic I'm a avid reader. 

When I was in high school, many, many... sigh, many moons ago, there were a few things that captured my attention as much as good sci-fi or fantasy literature.  Even mediocre or just plain goofy sci-fi and fantasy could pull me from things as mundane as, heh, homework.

So check these out.  There was a fantastic series of both graphic novels and short story anthologies based on the original story Elf Quest, by Wendi and Richard Pini (WARP Graphics).  Exquisite artwork, epic story, and the back story of how they got published in the first place, going totally independent in the 70's. all are inspiring.  Aside from Wendi's vision, there were a series of anthology novels featuring some of the best writers in the genre.  If you can find any, I highly recommend them.

I was also a huge fan of the many works of Piers Anthony.  His Xanth series is funny, punny and full of heart.  The Apprentice Adept series goes back and forth between a sci-fi world that predicted online internet gaming and mixed it with the X-men's Danger Room, and a fantasy realm with mystical creatures, powerful magics and treachery.  Great reads and they put ideas into your heads.

As far as more modern series, I hear good and bad things about the Eregon series.  I've only seen the movie, so I'll have to take a poke in there eventually.  Personally, I've had a love/hate relationship with the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels.  Some were weak in my opinion, some were spectacular.  The ones featuring the New Republic trying to fend off an alien species that not only was invading their universe, but existed outside the Force, hated all technology, used living weapons and vessels, and actually could stand toe to toe and duke it out against Jedi.  Even with weapons that could parry light sabres!  Mostly it is the saga of Han and Leia's three kids, Jason & Jaina (twins) and their younger brother Anakin Solo.

As I was looking over something I'm working on and going "this is completely wrong, start over...NOW!" when I realized I'd forgotten one of my favorites.  Quick back story, I'd broken my leg, again.  Long story there, let's just say I had a happily accident prone childhood full of stupidity and taking dares that I shouldn't and as a result I'd absorbed quite a lot of x-rays.  So, saying that, I'd broken my leg... again.  I was stuck upstairs in bed, cast elevated, a bit loopy from the pain meds and I asked my father if anything in his extensive Sci-Fi library was good to read.  He handed me three books that all had titles ending in "...of Mars."  At first I was dubious.  Looked kind of stupid to my rather refined 12 yo tastes (sarcasm overload).  Then I read the first one, complete with the nearly naked drawings of, well, swordsmen, aliens and funky stuff.  And the story... completely hooked me.  Imaginative, immersive, violent, full of honorable choices and unusual circumstances.  Loved it from the start, still love it today.

The series starts with a novelization of a former serialization known as "A Princess of Mars," and it is written by Edgar Rice Burrows, the same writer that gave us Tarzan.  There has been a much maligned movie done a few years ago called "John Carter of Mars," and a very long time ago there was actually a comic book series based on the original material.  The movie really was not bad at all, I don't understand how it did so poorly in America yet has much wider acceptance world wide.  Maybe not enough nudity and swearing.  Anyways, if I recall properly, there were 9 books in the series, many of them that were collected into books after having been serials in magazines.  I've read 6 and can recommend at least 5 of them, lol.  Check them out.

Thanks, D'Artagnon, I had forgotten about the Xanth series and I think I have them all.

On the newer front the Percy Jackson and Olympus books are really good writing even though they are meant for kids to teens. Another good fantasy series is Heritage- Eragon, Brisinger, Elder, and Inheritance.

Also, D'Artagnon, we need to compare childhood injuries sometime.

LOL, wish i still had the records to prove.  Between 1980 and 1985 i had two casts on my right leg, one on the left, two casts on the right hand (which got me out of exactly ZERO school work), dislocated my right shoulder, broke the nose twice, multiple finger and toe breaks or sprains, ripped the hell out of the the tendons in my right ankle, dropped a row of gym lockers on myself as a scrawny 6th grader, wrecked a bike by jumping over a sea wall (thankfully, high tide.  for the record, rocks underwater still hurt) and cracked three ribs (that damned tree!).

Also, for the record, as a little kid I made the mistake of kicking a beached Portuguese Man-O-War.  Those tentacles still can paralyze you if you're dumb and don't leave well enough alone.  Fortunately i still had my Keds on.

How i survived childhood, I'll never know, lol

Dang!! I think you got me beat. Broken arm at 4 playing Batman and Robin, 2nd degree (almost 3rd) at 10, seven stitches near eye (took an elbow playing basketball), broken pinky finger (didn't bother with doctor on this one), broken big toe.

I did continue after adulthood: seven stitches reattaching the side of my finger, cracked ribs twice at Tae Kwan Do, sprained ankle, sprained wrist. Those are the major ones as a runner and martial artist there have been other minor things.

heheh, well, in my case, i have a very visual imagination and the things you imagine while reading radical science fiction or fantasy while under the influence of powerful pain killers definitely changes your perspectives.  I read Stephen King's Firestarter right after going through those ER Burrows "Princess of Mars" books.  My brain was churning with possibilities.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while: I've read Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series which -with some of his other books- is good for a laugh and tongue in cheek so pretty high on my list. The best though has got to be Terry Pratchett's discworld series, that man knew how to write 'em and keep you coming back for more!

My father was a big fan of the Stainless Steel Rat.  I couldn't wrap my brain around it the first time i tried to read it.  Guess I was in the wrong frame of mind for it.  Terry Pratchett was a phenomenal writer.  His take on Death taking over Christmas was both humorous and insightful, especially the children's reactions to it. 

Stephen Baxter's Long Earth collaboration with TP was good and I like several of his books as well in their own right. Just read Long Utopia where the end of that particular earth seems to mimic what happened in Moonseed. Recycling a theme perhaps? Alternate history themes appeal to me if they're well thought out, but trouble is a lot just go for the old nazis-win-WW2-due-to-{insert improbable reason here} or similar. I've been reading Kurt Giambastiani's 'The Year The Cloud Fell' a friend lent me which has got cowboys, indians, airships and dinosaurs! A change from your ordinary alt-hist story and maybe stretching a few points, but, yeah it's fun. I'll have to read the others and see how it turns out.

Edited by Azorf

A few years back I was introduced to two ladies whose writing gave me new concepts to "Grok" about as far as human mental development.  One was Anne McCaffrey, who's dragon riders remain ever popular, but her stories of the "Talented" peoples emerging in our not oh-so distant future was wonderful.  There was her delicate touch at human relationships and the subtleties of what makes each of us tick.  I am sad to say I don't know if the series has a proper name all its own, but I remember that at least one of the books in the multi-generation spanning series was called The Rowan.  I highly recommend them, even if I cannot properly introduce them.  I'm hoping some of you have also read this series and can provide what my feeble mind cannot.

The other lady of note here is an author named Julian May.  Her works include Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask, and a future history of a time travel colony that went into our own Earth's Pleistocene era as a punishment for attempting to over throw a galactic government with massed mind powers.  I have to admit to some prejudice in the favor of some of her stories as the characters come from a similar geography and genetic background as my own (if only the mental powers came with that connection as well, tee hee hee).  But the stories cover political intrigue, family struggles, murder, science, the many twists and turns we all individually take to justify our actions, and a little look into what love between telepathically active persons might look like.

Both tend to write big volumes, so you can expect the storylines and histories of characters can be deep and dense.  I will admit that I didn't take to Jack the Bodiless the first time I tried it, but the second pass, after some time reading a lot of crappy paperbacks, caught my attention.  I guess sometimes you have to be in a certain mood for a certain story.