A New Trek

Ricky

[Special Note: The new website is now live. As a result the links throughout this thread are invalid except for the latest posting to the thread. All of Ricky stories can now be found at Ricky]

I hope you enjoy this little story. I'm working to get my creative juices flowing again after such a break. It was a fun piece and I'm on my way back to getting thing going again. I hope to get TIC finished and I have a couple other projects in the works.

So enjoy A New Trek!

Edited by Zach Caldwell
Link website notification

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm running out of Ricky stories..... humm, may have to remedy that.

Anyways, immediately after finishing Roll Call, making necessary comments, and getting a fresh drink in hand, I read through A New Trek.  As a kid, I loved that movie, "The Parent Trap," and seeing a subtle twist on it like this was a special moment.  Nostalgia not withstanding, I thought the characters were interesting and the situations real.  Mall Stealth is something I think many of us have done, just never gave it a name.  There are those that would cry out for this to be the basis of a series, but I don't think it's necessary.  The narrative leads you to think that there's more to the story, as all endings are new beginnings (legend of the Phoenix!), but while there may be more to the story, this one does leave a satisfying feeling right where it is.  Don't get me wrong, if the writer feels the muse move him to continue this, then by all means, go for it.

Another delicate moment handled with taste, tact and tenderness.  Another group of characters who actually have depth and range, despite the short nature of the story.  Another smile while reading, even through the almost teary parts. 

Very nice, dude.  Keep 'em coming!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm running out of Ricky stories..... humm, may have to remedy that.

Anyways, immediately after finishing Roll Call, making necessary comments, and getting a fresh drink in hand, I read through A New Trek.  As a kid, I loved that movie, "The Parent Trap," and seeing a subtle twist on it like this was a special moment.  Nostalgia not withstanding, I thought the characters were interesting and the situations real.  Mall Stealth is something I think many of us have done, just never gave it a name.  There are those that would cry out for this to be the basis of a series, but I don't think it's necessary.  The narrative leads you to think that there's more to the story, as all endings are new beginnings (legend of the Phoenix!), but while there may be more to the story, this one does leave a satisfying feeling right where it is.  Don't get me wrong, if the writer feels the muse move him to continue this, then by all means, go for it.

Another delicate moment handled with taste, tact and tenderness.  Another group of characters who actually have depth and range, despite the short nature of the story.  Another smile while reading, even through the almost teary parts. 

Very nice, dude.  Keep 'em coming!

Wow, coming from an author as great as you are I'm flat speechless. Thanks so much is all I can say.

John

aka Ricky

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

As I am preparing the new site, I am putting in links and stuff. I don't often have much time anymore to read and was pulled into this one. Ricky, trying to categorize this one as a 'Romance', 'Comedy' or 'Growing Up' is difficult, so we are going with the 'Romance' but it is so much more.

If anyone needs a fun, afternoon read during this hot summer, I highly recommend 'A New Trek' by Ricky. 

Thanks so much Mary. This was a fun one to write. It was an exercise to get the creative juices flowing after a five year sabbatical from writing. So glad you enjoyed it and it was very kind of you to take the ime from your overwhelming schedule to write about it here. Thanks and thanks so much for all you do. You're amazing.