The Last Herald Mage - Mercedes Lackey

Zach Caldwell

If you like fantasy. Then I would recommend The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

Book One: Magic's Pawn

Book Two: Magic's Promise

Book Three: Magic's Price

Personally I am not big on reading fantasy stories. Interestingly it was my mother who convinced me to read this one. The selling point was that the main character is gay. I had my doubts but I started the first book and I was hooked from page one.

It was an emotional journey and it is one I would encourage you all to check out if you have not already read the series. You will not be disappointed.

Personally I am not big on reading fantasy stories. Interestingly it was my mother who convinced me to read this one. The selling point was that the main character is gay. I had my doubts but I started the first book and I was hooked from page one.

Don't let that be the main selling point for any of Misty's books.  She is an incredible author.  I read the Arrows series (Arrows of hte Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall) and was absolutely hooked from that day forward.  Nothing less than every last Valdemar book she's ever released would satisfy me then.

In in-universe chronological order, roughly:

The Mage Wars (Trilogy)

The Last Herald Mage (Trilogy)

Burning Brightly

Vows & Honor (Trilogy / short story compilation)

Exiles Honor / Valor / To Take a Thief

Arrows (Trilogy)

Kerowyn's Tale

Mage Winds (Trilogy)

Mage Storms (Trilogy)

The Owl Mage

And then once you've finished the bulk of Velgarth (the universe Valdemar is set in), you can move on to her other works.

Also, fun fact:  I have an article on The Last Herald mage sitting on my desktop, just waiting for us to get the blog software working right so I can post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I have to agree most sincerely.  My boy friend grew up with the Last Herald Mage trilogy.  I think he had the strength to eventually come out because of that story.  I like that the main theme of the story, while based on a homosexual character, isn't a bawdy one.  In fact, the characters display a great deal of morality, intelligence and emotional connection.  It is about being true to who you are, discovering who you are, and not being afraid of who you are.  Vanyel is a well written character struggling with being the runt of his family as well as not liking all the things that his many brothers seem to thrive at.  

To this day, my boyfriend and I occasionally call each other Ashke (a word that means Beloved in one of the languages of the story).

OOoh, while I'm at it, the story trilogy with the Griffins must be awesome, I only got to read the first one, the Black Griffin, I believe.  It was very good.

I found Mercedes Lackey when she first started publishing her books and bought them as they were released.  She is kept, right there besides my other favorite published authors and now ebook versions when I can buy them.  

I do not care what the protagonist's orientation is, it is the quality of the person that I am interested in and what they achieve.  

Any of her books are excellent reads.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't let that be the main selling point for any of Misty's books.  She is an incredible author.  I read the Arrows series (Arrows of hte Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall) and was absolutely hooked from that day forward.  Nothing less than every last Valdemar book she's ever released would satisfy me then.

In in-universe chronological order, roughly:

The Mage Wars (Trilogy)

The Last Herald Mage (Trilogy)

Burning Brightly

Vows & Honor (Trilogy / short story compilation)

Arrows (Trilogy)

Kerowyn's Tale

Mage Winds (Trilogy)

Mage Storms (Trilogy)

The Owl Mage

And then once you've finished the bulk of Velgarth (the universe Valdemar is set in), you can move on to her other works.

Also, fun fact:  I have an article on The Last Herald mage sitting on my desktop, just waiting for us to get the blog software working right so I can post it.

you missed some

The Mage Wars (Trilogy) (Black Gryphon, White Gryphon, Silver Gryphon)

The Last Herald Mage (Trilogy) (Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price)

Burning Brightly

Colegium Cronicles - (Foundation, Intrigues, Changes, Redoubt, Bastion)

Herald Spy (Closer to Home)

Vows & Honor (Trilogy / short story compilation) (Oathbound, Oathbreakers, Oathblood)

Arrows (Trilogy) (Arrows of the Queen, Arrows Flight, Arrows Fall)

Kerowyn's Tale

Mage Winds (Trilogy) (Winds of Fate, Winds of Change, Winds of Fury)

Mage Storms (Trilogy) (Storm Warning, Storm Rising, Storm Breaking)

The Owl Mage (Owlflight, Owlsight, Owlknight)

heh, forgot to sign in.  I havn't read Redoubt, Bastion for Closer to Home yet. Mercedes Lackey is one of my favourite writers. She also was one of the quest writers for City of Heroes and her Diana Treguard character apeared in game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...