Sands of Time Reboot

Emperor Roland

Two possibilities: Roland stopped writing, or he's sitting on the stories because they contain spoilers for the main Kandric series.

I have to admit that the more time passes, the more I'm concerned that we won't get to see an ending to any of Kyle's long-running stories. After all, we're not getting any younger, and he lives in America which absolutely worships guns and sacrifices its young to them 😅

These days I console myself with Shadow Slave. Opposite writing style to Kyle (writes a short chapter a day) but shares his absolute love for cliffhangers...

Not necessarily. Kyle does plan ahead and may share future story beats with his collaborators. It is possible that Roland is told, in broad strokes, what will happen in future chapters on Kandric so he can sync Sands of Time better with it. But that doesn't mean the future Kandric chapters are written yet. If Roland writes stories based on this future info, he can't release them until Kyle finalizes events because of spoilers.

I suspect this connected universe is why the Revolutions Universe withered away, since there is a progression of events that depends on specific authors to release stories on time. Either that or the election of Donald Trump put paid to the wisdom of having a conservative leader (Bryce) who's chummy with Russians, who are totally altruistic good guys.

Interestingly, Xavier and company have appeared in the Kandric saga as cameos in early chapters (first published in the 1990s), with Sands of Time over a decade away. 😅

It is sad that revolution universe died.  It does look thought that multi authors universes mostly have the same fate all over the web not just here unfortunately.  It could be due to one of them dying or they lost interest in going further unfortunately.

I find it a big risk is being taken when you create those multi authors universes because of this.  I am an avid reader and that has happened to me many time already and now I mostly avoid these to begin with because I know most will get abandoned  midway through. 

It is nice that authors can be friends and collaborate like this and work on a universe together but I think the best way to work that out would probably be that the author who create the universe finishes the main story first then others can take care of side stories of other characters in that universe like in games you have a main story and side quests, but what would be the use of side quests if the main story is unfinished in the first place.

I am fairly confident we will see the end of Kandric Saga at the very least, barring fate intervening. We are, relatively speaking, in the home stretch when it comes to that one. A lionshare of the plot points have been wrapped up after all. 

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

It is sad that revolution universe died.  It does look thought that multi authors universes mostly have the same fate all over the web not just here unfortunately.  It could be due to one of them dying or they lost interest in going further unfortunately.

I find it a big risk is being taken when you create those multi authors universes because of this.  I am an avid reader and that has happened to me many time already and now I mostly avoid these to begin with because I know most will get abandoned  midway through. 

It is nice that authors can be friends and collaborate like this and work on a universe together but I think the best way to work that out would probably be that the author who create the universe finishes the main story first then others can take care of side stories of other characters in that universe like in games you have a main story and side quests, but what would be the use of side quests if the main story is unfinished in the first place.

Anyone who's ran a D&D game or any sort of collaborative roleplaying venture knows, getting people together for a creative project is like herding cats. While a lot of people are more than willing to start a project, being able to stick with said project is another matter. Life and obligations alone can derail someone contributing, and that's not even discussing things like burnout and mental fatigue. Nobody really walks in intending on abandoning a project, but things happen. I've even been the one to abandon a project on a few occasions. 

If there's one thing my experiences has taught me, it's to craft a project that I could see myself completing within a set period of time. I do not have Kyle's ability to hold focus on a project for decades. Part of why I admire him as a writer so much. 

8 hours ago, Wizard said:

I'd really love to see some kind of comment from the revolutions universe team explaining what happened -- whether there are any plans to resume it, or why it ran out of steam. There are so many ongoing plot lines that never reached a conclusion, and although I know we as readers don't really have the right to ask, it would be nice to find out a little of what went on behind the scenes: how did they plan to finish it (or did they not have any plans as such?) and what put a stop to it; is there any possibility it will be picked up again?

I'd just love to see more, because it seemed to be on the verge of a really exciting new phase, with Ashwood out of the picture and all the different groups of kids (all of the UNIT together at last, the Connections kids, the Geek Squad, the Metamorphosis team) coming together in Kettle Falls, ready to really get their teeth into the AoG. And then it just stopped, with no explanation. I know the writers aren't under any obligation to provide that explanation, but it would be so nice to hear something.

Maggiefan that would be interesting to know.  I don't even know who started this project.  So knowing what was planned in revolution and why it stopped would definitely be interesting to know.

Maybe there is even chapters ready for years that were not posted because they were waiting on another author chapter first maybe we can have those!!!

Given that Revolutions started as a conservative reaction to the election of Barack "He's coming for our guns" Obama (whose intended expy was President Ashwood), it wasn't surprising that the election of President Trump (who was more Ashwood than Bryce) would derail the authors' keenness on continuing the stories. 

In other words, you can chalk this up to real life being much stranger than anything you can find in fiction. 😂

Incidentally, I read somewhere that Adventure Quest was supposed to be a collaborative universe where interested authors can write about the Zong adventures of their own IZTAZ teams. It ultimately fell through, and Kyle eventually reworked it into the adventures of Robin McDaniels the secret psionic...

I actually found that out looking for cyclone 2 by scourging the web this week (and not finding anything) about adventure quest (boy planet is another title they had for it) and started reading it, personally i have to say so far even if it was a collaboration beside using the planet Zong there is very little in common between the stories you could say they even clash between one another.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Zergrinch said:

These days I console myself with Shadow Slave. Opposite writing style to Kyle (writes a short chapter a day) but shares his absolute love for cliffhangers...

Thanks for suggesting shadow slave .... I started reading it and it's very good.

Just to set your expectations. It's an adventure story, so there's absolutely zero romance or sex in the 900+ 700+ chapters I've read thus far. Second, English isn't the writer's native language (he lives in North Ossetia, Russia), so expect some idiosyncrasies (though the English is still impeccable). Third, he's heavily influenced by games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls, which you'll notice soon enough. The dream world has RPG elements, and the power advancement system isn't quite as developed as Kyle's. 

Other than that, welcome to the Forgotten Shore. Hope you survive the experience 😜

On 2/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, Zergrinch said:

Just to set your expectations. It's an adventure story, so there's absolutely zero romance or sex in the 900+ chapters I've read thus far. Second, English isn't the writer's native language (he lives in Odessa, Russia), so expect some idiosyncrasies (though the English is still impeccable). Third, he's heavily influenced by games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls, which you'll notice soon enough. The dream world has RPG elements, and the power advancement system isn't quite as developed as Kyle's. 

Other than that, welcome to the Forgotten Shore. Hope you survive the experience 😜

I am not after romance or sex. In fact too much sex is most often the reason why I stop reading a story.

English is not my native language either (I speak French). Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything so far ... I found his English to be very good. I didn't notice many grammar errors or typos so far.... I often notice some in other stories.

I never played Elden Ring or Dark Souls ... but I checked the game trailers and I see what you mean. Yes a lot of the story feels like being into a video game, like when they check the runes with their "Soul/Shadow level" and the characteristics of their "Memories".

In a very short time, I feel like I have become addicted to that story ... so it looks like I am caught in the experience:)

I am reading chapter 58 so i still have a long way to go...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm really enjoying the rebooted version. Can we hope that these new chapters here are a prelude to a Kandric update?

Incidentally, the links to the recent chapters are leading to the wrong chapters, and the numbering of the chapters is a bit weird.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:41 AM, Zergrinch said:

Just to set your expectations. It's an adventure story, so there's absolutely zero romance or sex in the 900+ 700+ chapters I've read thus far. Second, English isn't the writer's native language (he lives in Odessa, Russia), so expect some idiosyncrasies (though the English is still impeccable). Third, he's heavily influenced by games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls, which you'll notice soon enough. The dream world has RPG elements, and the power advancement system isn't quite as developed as Kyle's. 

I'd really like to thank you for mentioning this -- such a long time ago! I sought it out and am still reading; it's over 1300 chapters now. Are you still following it? I feel it's lost its way a bit recently, but having come this far I think I'll keep going until the end.

I stopped reading when the author began the fourth nightmare. I plan to stack chapters so I can read it in one go, once that book is finished.

I don't know where the story is currently at, so I can't say whether it lost its way or not. But the structure seems clear to me. One book tackles the nightmare test, in which Sunny goes through hardship to gain power, followed by one or two books set outside it where Sunny consolidates and learns how to use his newfound power.

I'm also stacking chapters but I believe I have more than 300 stacked now, if you at the 4th nightmare your beyond me i stopped they were defending falcon scott or loft i forget in antartica at around 1030.  It was a time where they were no longer coming out every day and I got annoyed of waiting so I left it for a while.

And thanks now I know that sands of time isn't the full story that was rewritten only some chapters

I think it's actually the 3rd nightmare at the moment.

The 1st was from about chapter 30 to 350; 2nd from about 600 to about 740. The fall of falcon scott ended at around 1060. The 3rd nightmare started around 1205. There was a long section in the current arc that I found very slow, but it's picked up again recently. It's currently 1380 odd. I think th chapters are a lot shorter now than they used to be, and the updates aren't as regular. Still fun though.

• 2 months later...

Zergrinch, unfortunately I'm going to have to sue you, you made me a drug addict, I'm totally hooked on this drug called Shadow Slave. LOL, this story is too good and extremely addictive, at the moment it's still in the 3rd nightmare, which started in chapter 1205 and is now in 1518 and the nightmare isn't over yet. But I don't think there will be many more chapters before this nightmare ends.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:41 AM, Zergrinch said:

Just to set your expectations. It's an adventure story, so there's absolutely zero romance or sex in the 900+ 700+ chapters I've read thus far. Second, English isn't the writer's native language (he lives in Odessa, Russia), so expect some idiosyncrasies (though the English is still impeccable). Third, he's heavily influenced by games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls, which you'll notice soon enough. The dream world has RPG elements, and the power advancement system isn't quite as developed as Kyle's. 

And by the way, Odessa is in Ukraine and not in Russia.

Sorry, I misspoke. He's from North Ossetia, not Odessa.

Also, I take no responsibility for your addiction. You have to realize that the author is writing for a platform, Webnovel.com, which pays him for the number of people who subscribe in order to read his work.

As such, you realize that Guiltythree is extremely motivated to release bite-sized chapters, at an average rate of two chapters per day, which almost always end in a cliffhanger. 😁

On 3/28/2024 at 1:59 AM, Zergrinch said:

As such, you realize that Guiltythree is extremely motivated to release bite-sized chapters, at an average rate of two chapters per day, which almost always end in a cliffhanger. 😁

Yes, but his cliffhangers usually only last 24 hours. Now at the Castelo we have some authors who have some cliffhangers that last months or sometimes years until we know what happens next

Yeah unfortunately it is what is happening we have to wait a long time for chapters from Kyle and I believe this story by Roland if I'm not mistaken is also waiting on Kyle to continue that is why it is a reboot.  Since we don't know when Kandric will continue I don't expect anything beyond what we originally got from this story at the moment unless the author tells us otherwise.

As for Shadow slave I continued reading it from work and now caught up to it and still enjoying it.  I also found it on youtube where it is basically an audible of the story so instead of reading again 1000 chapters lol I listen to them on youtube while doing other stuff.